Review of Xpedition Galapagos Inner Loop May 10-17, 2015

Host Jazzbeau

We are considering Machu Picchu (4 persons). To do it with Celebrity adds over ten thousand dollars per person for five nights. I got pricing staying at some of the best hotels in Cusco and Machu Picchu (5 nights) including air from Quito to Cusco, and Cusco back to Lima, the Machu Picchu Train and private transfers and guides, for less than one third of Celebrity's price.

• 3 weeks later...
We are considering Machu Picchu (4 persons). To do it with Celebrity adds over ten thousand dollars per person for five nights. I got pricing staying at some of the best hotels in Cusco and Machu Picchu (5 nights) including air from Quito to Cusco, and Cusco back to Lima, the Machu Picchu Train and private transfers and guides, for less than one third of Celebrity's price.

We did Macchu Picchu and Lake Tittiaca on our own last October before our Galapagos cruise. I booked airlines, trains, hotels, private drivers and it was a fraction of the cost Celebrity was charging. We even took the all day train from Cusco to Puno, great experience. We had over a week to take our time, acclimate to the altitude and tour. You can easily make the arrangements via the Internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to find a packing list for this trip with no success. (Some info in this thread has been helpful; thank you Jazzbeau). I even asked in the Future Cruise Consultant's office while onboard a different ship, and they could not find anything. Does anyone know where to find a packing list for this trip? Thank you.

Go to the roll call for Celebrity Expedition. There is a ton of information available. You will find thousands of posts and many packing lists. "Anyone Recently Back"' parts 1,2,3. Hope this helps! We are sailing in December! [emoji217]

• 2 months later...

Hi, we are planning to visit the Galapagos and read your posts. They are SO helpful. Thanks a lot! We are thinking to visit the Galapagos in May, it sounded like you think it is a good time also. It is not too hot or rainy in May, correct? We read that the sea is rougher during the cooler months, and I have major motion sickness problem, so I will cruise whenever the sea is calmer. You stayed in cabin 403 on Xpedition, could you please tell me when you opened the cabin door, was the bed on your right side or left side? Or in the other words, was the bathroom closer to the front or the back of the ship? I get sea sick if I sleep in certain direction relative to the movement of the ship. Thanks a thousand in advance. We are so excited about this once in a life time trip!

Hi, we are planning to visit the Galapagos and read your posts. They are SO helpful. Thanks a lot! We are thinking to visit the Galapagos in May, it sounded like you think it is a good time also. It is not too hot or rainy in May, correct? We read that the sea is rougher during the cooler months, and I have major motion sickness problem, so I will cruise whenever the sea is calmer. You stayed in cabin 403 on Xpedition, could you please tell me when you opened the cabin door, was the bed on your right side or left side? Or in the other words, was the bathroom closer to the front or the back of the ship? I get sea sick if I sleep in certain direction relative to the movement of the ship. Thanks a thousand in advance. We are so excited about this once in a life time trip!

The head of the bed was toward the back of the ship. But I never looked in another cabin, so I don't know if they alternate.

• 2 months later...

We just booked the Nov 2017 Inner Loop itinerary with the Machu Piccu extension at the end, while onboard a Celebrity Cruise in February. You are right - very little inventory left, even with almost 2 years out. After reading some of the posts, will look into doing the MP portion outside of Celebrity. Seems that in November will miss out on seeing the boobies mating dance but we still should be able to see them at some point. Looking forward to viewing your pictures that you were kind enough to post. Agree that it is more of an expedition than a cruise, onboard a yacht, with a small group of like-minded travelers. Very much looking forward to the adventure. It has been on DW's bucket list for quite some time.

We just booked the Nov 2017 Inner Loop itinerary with the Machu Piccu extension at the end, while onboard a Celebrity Cruise in February. You are right - very little inventory left, even with almost 2 years out. After reading some of the posts, will look into doing the MP portion outside of Celebrity. Seems that in November will miss out on seeing the boobies mating dance but we still should be able to see them at some point. Looking forward to viewing your pictures that you were kind enough to post. Agree that it is more of an expedition than a cruise, onboard a yacht, with a small group of like-minded travelers. Very much looking forward to the adventure. It has been on DW's bucket list for quite some time.

I hope you enjoy it. The feedback we got from folks on our cruise who did MP with Celebrity was that altitude sickness could be a problem -- but Celebrity has lengthened that portion to allow a more gradual acclimation so I would consider it if we did this trip again. Celebrity handled all the arrangements so well that I would view the extra cost of booking MP through them as worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for such a great review! I've only read part of it, the intro post for sure, which gives such great information.

We're looking at doing this in 2018, with our then 14 year old son. He's been asking to go to the Galapagos for years though!! But this would be a very different adventure for us. So I want to make sure we plan properly. I saw you mentioned using a TA for this type of a trip, and I mentioned to my husband that we might want to consider doing that as well. We're also talking with another couple who might join us with their son.

I'm sure there aren't a ton of kids, but hopefully there are a few...

We are now really starting to prepare for our 15 day Galapagos Inner Loop/Machu Picchu adventure. For anyone who has been on this trip to both Ecuador and Peru - What shots did you get before going? We have gotten our Hep A and B and DPT. I have had the Typhoid from another trip last September (2015) and husband will get this one too. Saw that Ecuador suggests Yellow Fever and MMR also??

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still a bit concerned about food safety. I imagine everything on the ship is safe to eat/drink. But I'm wondering about the days in Quito. I've read that we should not eat salads, or fruits we don't peel ourselves. Also, only bottled waters and beverages. Can anyone confirm if all food and drink in the Marriott is safe, or must we avoid those fruits and salads here as well. What about the restaurants they take you to for lunch and a dinner. For Friday night, I understand dinner is not included. Should we stick with the Marriott, even though I've heard the restaurant prices are quite high? Or are other restaurants safe as long as the food is cooked? Thanks in advance for any info on food safety in Quito.

I'm still a bit concerned about food safety. I imagine everything on the ship is safe to eat/drink. But I'm wondering about the days in Quito. I've read that we should not eat salads, or fruits we don't peel ourselves. Also, only bottled waters and beverages. Can anyone confirm if all food and drink in the Marriott is safe, or must we avoid those fruits and salads here as well. What about the restaurants they take you to for lunch and a dinner. For Friday night, I understand dinner is not included. Should we stick with the Marriott, even though I've heard the restaurant prices are quite high? Or are other restaurants safe as long as the food is cooked? Thanks in advance for any info on food safety in Quito.

If you are flying from NY to Quito on Friday, the plane will feed you and you will arrive too late to have to worry about dinner anyway. After that, Celebrity will be taking care of you (assuming you take the 10-day version) and we had no problems eating and drinking everything they offered. The Marriott offers a very nice breakfast spread and your final dinner after the cruise will be there as well. On the Saturday before your cruise both the lunch and dinner restaurants were excellent. I wouldn't buy food from a street vendor, but with all the food Celebrity gives you there is no need!

.. Celebrity Xpedition is the only way to go in the Galapagos, and the islands are everything they are reputed to be.

Thanks for great review.

I would respectfully suggest that that part of the review might be debatable.

We did a Galapagos trip and used Lindblad Expeditions. That trip couldn't have been better and with the promotion they had at the time, free air from Miami and $'s off cruise, it was cheaper that what Celebrity charges now.

And I know it probably sounds like a minor thing, but for some reason it made an impression on us...On Lindblad you didn't have a room key...Your door didn't lock unless you were in the room and locked it.

It really felt like you were on a private yacht (or what I would think it would feel like to do that!).

Thanks again for great review. Galapagos is something everyone should do at least once. To sit on the beach and have Sea lions waddle past you within inches like it is no big deal is just amazing!

Thanks for great review.

We did a Galapagos trip and used Lindblad Expeditions. That trip couldn't have been better and with the promotion they had at the time, free air from Miami and $'s off cruise, it was cheaper that what Celebrity charges now.

And I know it probably sounds like a minor thing, but for some reason it made an impression on us...On Lindblad you didn't have a room key...Your door didn't lock unless you were in the room and locked it.

It really felt like you were on a private yacht (or what I would think it would feel like to do that!).

Thanks again for great review. Galapagos is something everyone should do at least once. To sit on the beach and have Sea lions waddle past you within inches like it is no big deal is just amazing!

I'm glad you enjoyed your Galapagos cruise on Lindblad -- we are thinking about taking some of their cruises in the future. But I stand by my belief that Celebrity is better for Galapagos for these reasons:

• Since they bring in 96 passengers every week throughout the year, they have a great relationship with the Marriott, the restaurants and the tour guides in Quito and this gives their guests a first-class experience

• Celebrity charters its own jet for the flight from Quito to the Galapagos -- it's a non-stop flight and coordinates very smoothly with the transfers to and from the ship; everybody else uses regular flights that stop in Guayaquil [longer travel time and an unnecessary landing/takeoff sequence]

• Xpedition is the largest-size ship allowed in the Galapagos -- you don't get that "yacht" feel you liked, but it does have stabilizers that can be very helpful in rough waters and there are enough passengers that you more easily meet people you find compatible

• You get lots of points toward your Celebrity/Azamara loyalty status

• If you make a $500 donation to the Galapagos Conservancy not only do you get the full tax deduction but Celebrity later gives you $500 off a future cruise [don't forget that the "fire sale" prices you got on Lindblad are not available now, when you compare what you paid to the current Celebrity prices]

• None of the above are must-haves nor would they salvage an otherwise terrible experience. But in the context of a trip that was flawlessly organized, a ship with a great crew and excellent food (and free-flowing drinks), a wonderful group of naturalists, and a choice of two interesting itineraries and weekly sailings to fit your schedule -- I think it adds up to an unbeatable package.

Thanks for great review.

Thanks for posting this information. We're heading to the Galapagos on Xpedition this summer and since we haven't hit final payment I thought I'd price out a similar Lindblad trip on Endeavor during the same timeframe. Our 15 night/16 day trip on Xpedition + our airfare, worked out to cost much less than the Lindblad trip, even with free flights from/to Miami.

Host Jazzbeau, Thanks for the information on food in Quito. We have an overnight flight, so we arrive in Quito around noon on Friday. That is why I thought we'd be looking for some dinner in Quito. I think I will stick to getting some food at the Marriott. I wouldn't want to get sick right before our "once in a lifetime" trip to the Galapagos.

Host Jazzbeau, Thanks for the information on food in Quito. We have an overnight flight, so we arrive in Quito around noon on Friday. That is why I thought we'd be looking for some dinner in Quito. I think I will stick to getting some food at the Marriott. I wouldn't want to get sick right before our "once in a lifetime" trip to the Galapagos.

There are several restaurants in the Marriott. You will go to the "steak" place on the final night, so you might want to try the other one on your first night [double-check this with the Celebrity rep when you check in to the hotel]. I'm not going to counsel you to do something you feel is risky, but there were many people on the big Xpedition thread who went to a particular restaurant near the Marriot and I don't recall anyone saying they got sick from it. Just another idea...

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

• 3 weeks later...

Well we went ahead and took the plunge; booked for June 2017, a year sooner than planned! We figured, why wait? We're just so excited and I must say your review and photos have enhanced the gleam in our eyes! We've settled on the inner loop, for the boobies of course, and are going all in with Machu Picchu!!

I've taken brief forays into the extended "roll call" thread, but will now have to tackle it in earnest. Luckily, Bass Pro Shop is my friend so we already have a few necessary clothing items. Adventure awaits, and lots of questions, I'm sure.