Review of Xpedition Galapagos Inner Loop May 10-17, 2015

Host Jazzbeau

What a fantastic review! Great information and it is making me very excited. We just booked Xpedition for June 2, 2017. Planning to tack on a side trip to Machu Pichu, probably before the Galapagos. It is going to be hard to wait the nearly 2 years until the trip! We will be in cabin 401, right near where you stayed.

Let me reiterate Jazzbeau's recommendation - if you have any thoughts about doing this i 2017, book it now! We could not get a weekend in May without paying a lot. June 2 was the closest sailing to May that we could find that had only increased slightly from the original price.

When will the 2018 sailings become available? I am guessing sometime in 1Q 2016 based on your comments. We might switch over to a May sailing in 2018 but not sure if we want to wait that long.

I have been watching YouTube videos and researching the web, which brings me to my next question... Where do the pandas go when not in use? Just a curios question.

I assume you mean "pangas", aka "zodiacs" or RIB rigid inflatable boats. These are stored on the rear top deck on the same deck as the hot tub, I think that is deck 5. The four are unloaded each morning after anchoring with a large crane mounted on the deck. After the anchor drops and is secured, you will feel the ship roll hard each time one of the RIB's are unloaded. It is fun to watch them brought on board in the evenings with a large sling. When I looked at the ones used by other ships, these are some of the largest we saw. They are a lot of fun to ride in.

Edited by karasdad
spelling correction

Did this trip several years ago and loved every second. We were lucky and saw many large tortoises and had a great trip up to the highlands.

We ended our trip with a three day stay in Cuenca as we had done Machu Picchu in the early 90s. Cuenca is a beautiful city.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about the 10-day cruise tour. Going on to Machu Picchu would be more of a problem. We had a l-o-n-g day of travel just getting to Quito (LGA-MIA, layover, then MIA-UIO) -- you will only have 1/3 of that. Don't accept the offer of free booze on the plane, drink lots of water, arrive not-exhausted -- and you probably won't have a problem at all. [We didn't on the return trip, from sea level Galapagos to Quito. Although they never did answer my question about how high sea level is there??? ;)]

Great review! Did you book the flights to Quito yourself or use Choice Air or does Celebrity just do it all for Galapagos? That always confused me since it is such a different type of cruise. What time did you actually get into Quito and your hotel?

Edited by ecslady

Great review! Did you book the flights to Quito yourself or use Choice Air or does Celebrity just do it all for Galapagos? That always confused me since it is such a different type of cruise. What time did you actually get into Quito and your hotel?

We booked through Choice Air because at that time the flights were included in the Celebrity insurance at no extra charge (don't know if that is still the case). We researched the flights before calling our TA and told her what we wanted and what the website price was -- Celebrity got us those exact flights at the same price, but when I called American to select seats it turned out that we were entitled to Economy Plus seats at no extra charge -- so actually the "same" airfare was a bargain! The flights we chose got in to Quito at 8:36 pm (we had to change in Miami) and it takes about an hour to get to the hotel. We were the only ones on that flight for Xpedition -- others came in on different American flights, or Delta or United. Each group was met at the airport by Celebrity for the transfer to the hotel. Once you get off the plane Celebrity takes charge of you and from then until your return flight home everything is all-inclusive including gratuities.

We are planning a cruise to the Galapagos in 2017 and can't decide between the inner and outer loops. Can anyone help with this decision?

Thanks

Maureen

Inner Loop goes to North Seymour, where the Blue-Footed Boobies and Frigate Birds nest (and do their mating rituals) starting in May (and apparently continuing until now, with both chicks and blue-foot dances going on). Outer Loop gets the Waved Albatross on Espanola Island starting in April. Otherwise both loops give a good cross-section of geology and wildlife.

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive review. This is a cruise I have been wanting to do and I understand how things work so much better now. And thank you for the comparison of the Inner and Outer Loop. I was wondering what the basic differences are.

For a fall cruise, which itinerary would you recommend?

Inner Loop goes to North Seymour, where the Blue-Footed Boobies and Frigate Birds nest (and do their mating rituals) starting in May (and apparently continuing until now, with both chicks and blue-foot dances going on). Outer Loop gets the Waved Albatross on Espanola Island starting in April. Otherwise both loops give a good cross-section of geology and wildlife.

Thanks for your reply. We are looking at either March 2017 (outer loop) or April 2017 (inner loop). They sure book up fast for being so far in advance.

Thanks for your reply. We are looking at either March 2017 (outer loop) or April 2017 (inner loop). They sure book up fast for being so far in advance.

There's only 1 ship with 48 cabins, so it does go fast! I think it sails full every week.

For a fall cruise, which itinerary would you recommend?

I don't have any personal knowledge here, but based on a brochure I picked up somewhere in my research here are the features of each month:

January: wet season begins so water and air temps rise; land iguanas begin reproductive cycle; adult marine iguanas become brightly colored on Espanola; green sea turtles begin to lay eggs on beaches; land birds start nesting

February: water temp at highest (up to 77 F); marine iguanas nest on Santa Cruz; flamingos nesting on Floreana; end of nazca boobies breeding season on Espanola; pintail ducks begin breeding season

March: sporadic rainfall, intense sun and high humidity [yuck!]; warm water temps; surges make wet landings difficult at Puerto Egas, Gardner Bay and Bartolome; marine iguanas nest on Fernandina; waved albatross begin arriving on Espanola with summer equinox (March 21); penguins very active in the water

April: clear weather, vegetation green from earlier rain, sea still warm with good visibility for snorkeling; animals and birds very active; end of giant tortoise hatching season; land iguana eggs hatch on Isabela; green sea turtle eggs begin to hatch; waved albatross begin courtship ritual on Espanola

May: weather still like April; palo santo trees shed foliage; marine iguana eggs hatch on Santa Cruz; sea turtle eggs hatch at Gardner Bay and Punta Cormorant; waved albatross lay eggs on Espanola; Blue-foot boobies begin courtship rituals on North Seymour; petrels start nesting

June: start of dry season, trade winds return and currents strengthen but seas still calm; giant tortoises of Santa Cruz migrate down from the highlands to begin nesting; humpback whales may be seen; frigate birds display red pouches on North Seymour [we already saw this in May]; migratory birds in transit

July: water temps drop (68 F) and sea conditions become more disturbed; lava lizards start mating (through November); whales and dolphins often seen off Isabela; cormorants perform courtship rituals on Fernandina; blue-footed boobies seen as eggs, chicks, juveniles and sub-adults; oystercatchers nesting on Santiago

August: water temps drop (64 F) and seas are markedly choppy and currents at their strongest [bad for snorkeling]; giant tortoises return to the highlands of Santa Cruz; sea lion pups commonly sighted; migrant shore birds arrive (until March); hawks court on Espanola and Santiago; nazca boobies and swallow-tailed gulls nest on Genovesa

September: peak of dry season and coldest month with air temps below 68 F and sea mist frequent; female sea lions in heat so males constantly barking and fighting; penguins remarkably active in waters around Bartolome; many birds remain active at nesting sites

October: still cool and misty but usually clears mid-morning; beautiful sunrise in western islands; giant tortoises laying eggs; sea lions begin to mate; lava herons start nesting (through March); blue-footed boobies raise chicks on Espanola and Punta Vicente Roca

November: transition period with good weather, calm seas and slowly rising water temps [great for snorkeling]; sea lion pups playful with snorkelers at Champion Islet (Floreana); jellyfish in Gardner Bay and Caleta Tortuga; petrels begin second nesting period; breeding season for brown noddies

December: beginning of wet season, plants become green but weather is excellent with pleasant temps and calm seas; giant tortoise eggs begin to hatch (through April); sea turtles mating; waved albatross chicks begin to fledge

How to decide when to go and which loop? Pick your favorite thing above and figure out which itinerary goes to that island. You can never see it all in one trip, so focus on the most important highlight for you. We chose the Inner Loop in May to see the blue-footed boobies dance, but that meant we saw no albatross and only one lone flamingo.

We like to arrive to embarkation ports a few days early to see the city. On this cruise it seems like this will make sense for us to have an extra day in Quito to acclimate before the cruise/tour actually begins. Is there anywhere you think you would have visited if you had more time at the start of your trip?

We like to arrive to embarkation ports a few days early to see the city. On this cruise it seems like this will make sense for us to have an extra day in Quito to acclimate before the cruise/tour actually begins. Is there anywhere you think you would have visited if you had more time at the start of your trip?

Celebrity already includes a nice mix of Old Town and Middle of the World (Equator) sites on the 10-day tour. If you arrive in Quito a day early you will lose the Celebrity transfer. If you want more time in Quito, I would recommend doing the 11-day tour which gives you an extra day at the end but keeps you inside the Celebrity cruise tour coverage.

Celebrity already includes a nice mix of Old Town and Middle of the World (Equator) sites on the 10-day tour. If you arrive in Quito a day early you will lose the Celebrity transfer. If you want more time in Quito, I would recommend doing the 11-day tour which gives you an extra day at the end but keeps you inside the Celebrity cruise tour coverage.

We're doing the Machu-Pichu extension so we won't have time in Quito after the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked and looking forward to our Xpedition Galapagos vacation in July 2016. I was reading on some of the other cruise line's threads that they did not flush toilet paper down the toilet, but had to put it in a bucket next to the toilet. This is not a make or break point, but if I have to do this for a whole week on the Xpedition I need to start preparing myself for this now. What was your experience.

The best cruise we have ever taken was aboard the Xpedition around the Galapagos Islands. Intimate ship (actually a Yacht) so you quickly get to know everyone. The food was good, the bartender quickly gets to know your preferences and has them waiting for you. The Captains table is wherever he decides to sit each evening. Every Island is different and filled with exotic wildlife. The guides are fantastic. It is truly an adventure rather than a cruise. Despite a bout with altitude sickness on my last day in Quito I would happily do this cruise/tour again. I heartily recommend this trip to everyone.

We are booked and looking forward to our Xpedition Galapagos vacation in July 2016. I was reading on some of the other cruise line's threads that they did not flush toilet paper down the toilet, but had to put it in a bucket next to the toilet. This is not a make or break point, but if I have to do this for a whole week on the Xpedition I need to start preparing myself for this now. What was your experience.

Unless something has changed since my Xpedition cruise you CAN flush toilet paper on the ship.

Unless something has changed since my Xpedition cruise you CAN flush toilet paper on the ship.

That is correct. Xpedition has the same rules for flushing things as we have seen on all cruise ships. They don't dump that stuff in the ocean, so as long as you don't clog the plumbing you won't be "in deep doo-doo."

Thank you for the detailed review.

Did you hear anything from other passengers regarding the Machu Picchu portion of the Xpedition trip? I have seen 1 thread that says do it on your own with another company. Anyone else have anything to add?