What Broadway show would you like to see on Harmony?

Les Miserables? Phantom?

People have been complaining about the 2hr30min running time of Cats on RCL - how could they sit through the same amount of time (or longer for Les Mis or Phantom - or even Wicked) though I LOVE all of the shows.

A review like Jersey Boys, Million Dollar Quartet, Motown the Musical, maybe Smokey Joe's Cafe. These are all reviews or "jukebox" musicals where all the songs were existing and usually very popular and the storyline (if any) is woven around the music. Usually a LOT of fun - and entertaining to the "non-theatre" going audience. They can also be more "family friendly."

And - though I LOVE The Book of Mormon - that is possibly the LEAST family oriented show ever. :-) Someone complained about the adult themes in Chicago - can you imagine what people would say about the themes in BOM? (I'd certainly go see it every showing - but still wouldn't happen.)

Love that everyone is discussing this as a former Equity actor. :-)

Please nothing else by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Considering how many negative comments CATS has received I would suggest that they consider none of his other shows. I was just on Oasis and sat through the entire performance (a lot of folks didn't) but for the life of me I don't understand what they were thinking when they decided to feature this show.:confused:

Please nothing else by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Considering how many negative comments CATS has received I would suggest that they consider none of his other shows. I was just on Oasis and sat through the entire performance (a lot of folks didn't) but for the life of me I don't understand what they were thinking when they decided to feature this show.:confused:

That it's a show that's won multiple awards (7 Tonys, 3 Drama Desks, a Grammy, and an Olivier) that's had long runs on both Broadway (3rd-longest @ 7,493 shows over an 18-year run) and on the West End (6th-longest @ 8,949 shows over a 21-year run) and appeals internationally (translated into 20 languages). Really, only two shows on Broadway have beaten its run - Phantom and Chicago.

That it's a show that's won multiple awards (7 Tonys, 3 Drama Desks, a Grammy, and an Olivier) that's had long runs on both Broadway (3rd-longest @ 7,493 shows over an 18-year run) and on the West End (6th-longest @ 8,949 shows over a 21-year run) and appeals internationally (translated into 20 languages). Really, only two shows on Broadway have beaten its run - Phantom and Chicago.

I understand all that you say, however, its reception on Oasis has been less than enthusiastic and the production, while technically very good, didn't seem to appeal to a large segment of the audience (especially those who brought very young children to the afternoon performance). I also think that many of the adults were there solely because they had heard of the show but didn't really appreciate what they were going to experience. Of the three shows you cite only Chicago was something that I enjoyed on stage in London, on the screen and onboard Allure. Apparently not everything that has worldwide acclaim translates into success onboard a cruise ship. I'm afraid that only the expense that they incurred in mounting this show and whatever royalty agreement they have with ALW will keep them from removing CATS before its due date.

I understand all that you say, however, its reception on Oasis has been less than enthusiastic and the production, while technically very good, didn't seem to appeal to a large segment of the audience (especially those who brought very young children to the afternoon performance). I also think that many of the adults were there solely because they had heard of the show but didn't really appreciate what they were going to experience. Of the three shows you cite only Chicago was something that I enjoyed on stage in London, on the screen and onboard Allure. Apparently not everything that has worldwide acclaim translates into success onboard a cruise ship. I'm afraid that only the expense that they incurred in mounting this show and whatever royalty agreement they have with ALW will keep them from removing CATS before its due date.

Well said. Just because it received awards does not mean it will be successful on a cruise ship.

Back to the main point of this thread, I'd love to see Les Miserables on Harmony, but not sure if they could make that work due to the amount of kids that are seen throughout the play.

Well said. Just because it received awards does not mean it will be successful on a cruise ship.

Back to the main point of this thread, I'd love to see Les Miserables on Harmony, but not sure if they could make that work due to the amount of kids that are seen throughout the play.

One of my favorites, but it is really long.

Oh, I get your point. I'm just explaining the rationale that likely went into the choice. It seems a solid choice on paper and it's not like they were reaching back into the annals of Broadway for a show like How Now Dow Jones or something. I honestly think RCI overestimated Cats' appeal, especially considering it finished its Broadway run over a decade ago (unlike Hairspray and Chicago which are/were more contemporary (IIRC, Hairspray had just finished its Broadway run when RCI announced it was coming to Oasis).

I'm frankly a little surprised that if they had their hearts set on an ALW show it wasn't Phantom which is generally more accessible and better known. I'll also admit to being a little surprised that Wicked wasn't brought onboard Quantum given Kristin Chenoweth being the ship's godmother. Also given the Dreamworks connection, I'm a little surprised the musical version of Shrek hasn't made it onboard yet.

And people think CATS is long and hard to follow????

I love Les Miserables, but if CATS can't get an audience on a cruise ship, there's no way on earth Les Mis would work. And I personally love both of them!

I find it amazing that with the amount of lead time and research necessary to negotiate a major Broadway production onto Oasis, RCCL seems to have missed so badly. CATS was pretty cool and experimental when it first started playing. There was nothing else really like it. Likewise, no one believed you could make a Victor Hugo tragedy into a successful musical, but they did.

HOWEVER, on a RC ship big enough to support the production, there are already 6-8 things happening on roughly 60 minute cycles at the same time. A full on Broadway production, with intermission, is a pretty major commitment of time in that environment. We go to NYC with seeing a show as part of the plan; on Oasis, Allure, Harmony, etc., it's going to have a lot of competition.

So, I don't have a good show to recommend for Harmony. I'm just not into Mama Mia, Kinky Boots never got my attention, and I enjoyed Hairspray (both on Broadway and on Oasis), but it's not a show I'd normally seek out.

What seems apparent to me, if you're going to compete with all the other activities onboard, is it needs to be "family friendly", which eliminates 90% of the shows I'd recommend, doable in one 90 minute setting without an intermission, and rate fairly high on the "fun and frivolous" scale.

Maybe having a recognizable name Broadway show isn't really that big of a deal to cruisers?

And people think CATS is long and hard to follow????

I love Les Miserables, but if CATS can't get an audience on a cruise ship, there's no way on earth Les Mis would work. And I personally love both of them!

Personal preference I guess.

I hate CATS, but love Les Mis and don't really find it hard to follow.

I guess the more I think about, that's not really well suited for a cruise ship anyway. It seems that the more upbeat and fun shows are the most popular (i.e. Mamma Mia / We Will Rock You) and that makes sense.

Oh, I get your point. I'm just explaining the rationale that likely went into the choice. It seems a solid choice on paper and it's not like they were reaching back into the annals of Broadway for a show like How Now Dow Jones or something. I honestly think RCI overestimated Cats' appeal, especially considering it finished its Broadway run over a decade ago (unlike Hairspray and Chicago which are/were more contemporary (IIRC, Hairspray had just finished its Broadway run when RCI announced it was coming to Oasis).

I'm frankly a little surprised that if they had their hearts set on an ALW show it wasn't Phantom which is generally more accessible and better known. I'll also admit to being a little surprised that Wicked wasn't brought onboard Quantum given Kristin Chenoweth being the ship's godmother. Also given the Dreamworks connection, I'm a little surprised the musical version of Shrek hasn't made it onboard yet.

Oh please, no!

Oh please, no!

Have you seen Shrek The Musical? It's available for Streaming on Netflix. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected and I actually enjoyed it. Of course, having Sutton Foster in it may have had something to do with my enjoyment.

Edited by MisterBill99

Have you seen Shrek The Musical? It's available for Streaming on Netflix. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected and I actually enjoyed it. Of course, having Sutton Foster in it may have had something to do with my enjoyment.

Whoops

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23