what??? Is this how insurance works?

lahlah57

We booked a Viking Oceans cruise in Jan.2015 for jan 2016. The deposit was only $1000 but we also wanted to get the insurance along with it. The total being $2238 with insurance.

Vikings maiden voyage was this past April and the reviews were terrible. We watched the reviews for a few more weeks and they were questionable at best. We pulled out and called our cruises agent to please pull us out and redbook with Crystal knowing they are the best of the best.

Out of that $2238 we only could get back $800. WHAT??? For a trip booked for 2016? $200 was Vikings administrative fees and TRIPMATE insurance will not refund us or transfer to another cruiseline. Our agent said he had never heard of this and we counted on him looking out for us! A warning to everyone......do not book insurance thru cruiseline....get it on your own and ask tons of questions......WE GOT SCREWED! I am questioning "BEST CRUISES & TOURS" too for their lack of knowledge!

We booked a Viking Oceans cruise in Jan.2015 for jan 2016. The deposit was only $1000 but we also wanted to get the insurance along with it. The total being $2238 with insurance.

Vikings maiden voyage was this past April and the reviews were terrible. We watched the reviews for a few more weeks and they were questionable at best. We pulled out and called our cruises agent to please pull us out and redbook with Crystal knowing they are the best of the best.

Out of that $2238 we only could get back $800. WHAT??? For a trip booked for 2016? $200 was Vikings administrative fees and TRIPMATE insurance will not refund us or transfer to another cruiseline. Our agent said he had never heard of this and we counted on him looking out for us! A warning to everyone......do not book insurance thru cruiseline....get it on your own and ask tons of questions......WE GOT SCREWED! I am questioning "BEST CRUISES & TOURS" too for their lack of knowledge!

The non refundabilty of prepaid insurance is quite common. Many cruise lines , airlines and insurance companies themselves do this.

I was think of cancelling a cruise this fall. Insurance was with a private company. They wouldn't refund the insurance premium even if we never used it. The reason was the money fro the claim was set aside and they weren't allow to use it else where.

Edited by Kamloops50

The non refundabilty of prepaid insurance is quite common. Many cruise lines , airlines and insurance companies themselves do this.

I was think of cancelling a cruise this fall. Insurance was with a private company. They wouldn't refund the insurance premium even if we never used it. The reason was the money fro the claim was set aside and they weren't allow to use it else where.

I always get trip insurance, and it has never been expensive, I just booked a Hawaii cruise the cruise company offered basic travel insurance free but I took the full coverage and only had to pay the difference, I paid 39.00 for mine and 69.00 for my husband because he is 65.

So I don't know what they charged you for insurance, but it sounds like too much.

Is Tripmate a product purchased through your travel agency or is it affiliated with Viking? I have no knowledge of that brand so I'm wondering if it is the name of the insurance that Viking offers - something like the insurance coverage offered by Princess or Holland America. In that case, the insurance purchased through the cruise line is good only for that cruise line. In other words, I can't transfer Princess insurance to cover any other cruise line.

If it is an independent company used by your travel agency, I don't know why you can't transfer it to another cruise.

Please let us know what you find out.

I have had to cancel a cruise without making a claim on the ins policy the one I used allowed me to transfer the amount to cover another trip

I would call Tripmate myself & speak to someone there if you have not claimed anything on the policy they should allow you to use it for other dates

If the policy was purchased from Viking directly then the money is gone. If the policy was simply purchased through a travel agent at the same time as the cruise than it should be transferable to another trip, as long as the dates are close.

Edited by sirwired

Sounds like the problem is buying the insurance through the cruise line. The company we purchase insurance from allows us to make one change and transfer to another trip, assuming no claim has been made and we are before the 'start date' of the insurance.

Sounds like the problem is buying the insurance through the cruise line. The company we purchase insurance from allows us to make one change and transfer to another trip, assuming no claim has been made and we are before the 'start date' of the insurance.

The problem with cruise line insurance us their contract terms. With Princess (if paid in full) , the insurance is refunded. After final payment no refund if insurance.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app