Palma de Mallorca on the Allure - shuttles?

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise in September on the Allure, and stopping in Palma de Mallorca. I've read that the cruise port is a good distance from town, and I've looked at shore excursions and there are no "transfers to town" listed. Thought I'd ask if they run shuttles at all, or if we are on our own to find transportation into town?

Not sure about shuttles, but we debarked there once and the taxis are very nice and very inexpensive. It's not that far into town. We took a taxi from our hotel and had it drop us off near the church. We toured the church and then had a delightful day in the old town that was right there. Great lunch in a sidewalk café, great shops......buy some pearls!!!

The local bus into town goes from the cruise port, just outside the port buildings.

€5 each for a round trip on the RCCL shuttle last week. The walk last week would be a good 15-20 min to catch the local bus, an MSC ship later docked in the position where it would only have been a couple of min's walk to the local bus.

We just jumped into a taxi.

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise in September on the Allure, and stopping in Palma de Mallorca. I've read that the cruise port is a good distance from town, and I've looked at shore excursions and there are no "transfers to town" listed. Thought I'd ask if they run shuttles at all, or if we are on our own to find transportation into town?

I was on the ship last week. if you book a shore excursion yes there is a bus to bring ye to your excursion, And yes the town is very far in coz we walked in, put there is definitely buses and taxis out side the ship, coz we got a taxi back to the ship,

Thanks, all! I had major knee surgery back in December and still not 100%, so not sure I could walk into town and then spend the day walking - just trying to find ways to preserve the knee as much as possible!

€5 each for a round trip on the RCCL shuttle last week. The walk last week would be a good 15-20 min to catch the local bus, an MSC ship later docked in the position where it would only have been a couple of min's walk to the local bus.

We just jumped into a taxi.

So you are saying that the Allure doesn't dock in the usual place in Majorca? Can you please give an indication where it does dock. We'll be there in less than a week and have planned our day at the beach catching a bus from close to the usual port so need to know what to replan.

Last year on Indy we were quite far down docking area, MSC ships were closer to road. We got a taxi for 4 of us to Cathedral area for €20 and then took a slow walk back to ship along promenade.

Michelle x

So you are saying that the Allure doesn't dock in the usual place in Majorca? Can you please give an indication where it does dock. We'll be there in less than a week and have planned our day at the beach catching a bus from close to the usual port so need to know what to replan.

Its hard to explain however Pam Bam says it well aswell. The MSC ship was at the pier where they had bridges onto the ship so instead of you walking off on deck 2, they would walk of on deck 5, then a covered walk way to the terminal.

The allure was on a normal pier, there was a local ferry docked next to us. I certainly wouldn't walk to the bus.

I know when I did research away back I though it would be a 5 min walk to the local bus to get into town, however no local buses came near the allure as we were docked on the other side of the harbour.

Stop 26 (Estacio Maritima) of the Bus 1 that is headed toward the city is right at the drive just outside the exit of both ships and it could not be closer to the ships.

If a passenger did not look for the stop 26 and went to the stop 27 *Club de Mar, then it would be about 10 minutes walk.

The problem with this stop is that it is for inbound busses only and to reach this stop when coming from the city you have to go all the way to the end of the route for about 10 minutes and then return.

The alternative is to exit the bus from the city at the bus Stop 15 (Port de Palma) and there you do have to cross the busy street and then move through a parking lot back to the entrance to the secure port area.

Each local bus is 1.50 euro per passenger for normal busses, but since the bus 1 goes from the port to the airport, I think they charge 3 euro per passenger for non residents.

Taxi is about €15/20. Coming back the bus stops just outside the port. There is a bus stop outside the port just by the car hire that has a really good list of bus numbers and routes on it. The stops all have electronic boards telling you the numbers and how long the wait is too

Stop 26 (Estacio Maritima) of the Bus 1 that is headed toward the city is right at the drive just outside the exit of both ships and it could not be closer to the ships.

Is this from experience of knowing where the Allure docks? I am familiar with the usual dock in Palma and want to get a different bus which stops fairly close (not going into the city but to a beach). However, from the way others have described it (and saw777 sounds as if this is from recent experience), it sounds as if the ship docks in a different spot to the usual terminal.

Edited by Bobal

Is this from experience of knowing where the Allure docks? I am familiar with the usual dock in Palma and want to get a different bus which stops fairly close (not going into the city but to a beach). However, from the way others have described it (and saw777 sounds as if this is from recent experience), it sounds as if the ship docks in a different spot to the usual terminal.

We were on it on 31st May this year. Defo not the normal terminal.

We found a hop on/hop off bus. I don't recall the exact price, but it wasn't much. Took us into town and to a few of the sites. It was right outside the port.

We booked the HOHO bus. Do you recall which stop was closest to pier?

Don't know if this will work, but click on the link from Google maps and we were docked on the long straight part of the map just along from the Google symbol at the bottom. The cruise terminal is up at the top.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.5498719,2.6299508,16z

I read that post as well and that description sure sounds like where RCI ships have been positioned previously. I have been there several times on MSC as well and did not find it all that much closer as we had to walk around to the same security exit even from the other ship, so it is unclear to me what they mean.

Only bus 1 stops right at the terminal. The other bus stops involve at least a 5 minute additional walk. Some busses are up the hill and on the next main street.

Your bus might not be with the local EMT bus company but with the regional TIB bus company. They do not share stops.

I think your bus would leave from stop 40007/40008

Av. Gabriel Roca - C/ Porto Pi

Outbound http://www.tib.org/portal/web/ctm/parades/-/parada/40007

http://www.tib.org/portal/web/ctm/parades/-/parada/40008

Edited by MADflyer

We booked the HOHO bus. Do you recall which stop was closest to pier?

If it is the City Sightseeing HOHO, it is at the Estacio Maritimo stop 12 near the bus 1 stop.

Edited by MADflyer

Don't know if this will work, but click on the link from Google maps and we were docked on the long straight part of the map just along from the Google symbol at the bottom. The cruise terminal is up at the top.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.5498719,2.6299508,16z

That's great information, thank you very much - we need to change our plan about which bus to catch.

I read that post as well and that description sure sounds like where RCI ships have been positioned previously.

I think your bus would leave from stop 40007/40008

Av. Gabriel Roca - C/ Porto Pi

That's correct. The bus I wanted was No 104 but from the helpful description above this is now much further away so I will choose another bus number - or just grab a taxi.

That's correct. The bus I wanted was No 104 but from the helpful description above this is now much further away so I will choose another bus number - or just grab a taxi.

I do not know your situation and a taxi is always more comfortable. That bus stop is not what I would consider distant, but the shortest route does involve going up on the bridge out from the port and then taking the first right at the top of the bridge and walking down toward the stop.

I linked to maps and bus timetables in a thread about this on the Spain forum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217440).

MADflyer, I am pretty sure you are talking about the poniente terminal in all your posts, which is where a lot of cruise ships dock but NOT the allure (which is at dique del oeste). Therefore, the stop for the hop on hop off bus (also known as bus 50) is right outside poniente, not the allure. The closest HOHP stop to the allure would still be the one outside poniente but it is about 2 miles from the allure. Same for bus stop 40007/40008 - it is around 2 miles from the allure (but less than half a mile from poniente).

The problem with this stop is that it is for inbound busses only and to reach this stop when coming from the city you have to go all the way to the end of the route for about 10 minutes and then return.

That's actually good since at the end of the route is where the allure is!

Yes, only bus 1 stops right outside the terminal, but the other buses are more than a 5 minute walk from the terminal where allure is. It is about a 15 minute walk extra past the stop for bus number 1 to other buses (there you will find stops for 3, 20 and 41).

I linked to maps and bus timetables in a thread about this on the Spain forum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217440).

MADflyer, I am pretty sure you are talking about the poniente terminal in all your posts, which is where a lot of cruise ships dock but NOT the allure (which is at dique del oeste). ).

Thanks for posting. I had noticed there was some delay with last weeks Allure arrival when they were approaching the 'normal' cruise port area. I wish I would have remembered to check marine traffic yesterday.

If they continue to come into that area, then the shuttle or bus 1 are certainly the only option along with the taxis. That would mean that HOHO pax could buy a bus 1 ticket to the port to catch the bus.

Edited by MADflyer

Thank you for clarifying elleran.

It is interesting to note that this change does not just effect Allure. Almost all RCL calls have been moved to DIQUE DEL OESTE pier 181, including RCI, Azamara, Celebrity and Pullmantur and TUI . This includes Anthem or the Seas

To add to the confusion, all except one of the Explorer calls have been moved to the MUELLES COMERCIALES pier (P085). This enters the city from the other side of the city of Palma in a completely separate zone.

The Allure is at the "outer" pier not at the pier where the cruise terminal building is located. Anyway it´s a regular cruise pier and I saw other ships there too.

According to the signs it´s 830 m to the port entrance or 15 min walking. Right outside the port entrance to the left there´s the bus stop for EMT bus No. 1.

The local tourist authority offered a 5 Euro shuttle bus right from the ship to the cathedral. As the local bus is 1.50 Euro (one way) I´d say the 5 Euro is a pretty good deal (especially as there´s no walking involved to/from the bus stop).

I haven´t seen the HoHo bus there but I do know that it stops at the cruise terminal building. Although it looks close, do not try to walk!! You have to walk around a military zone and it´s definitely a very long walk.

steamboats

The local tourist authority offered a 5 Euro shuttle bus right from the ship to the cathedral. As the local bus is 1.50 Euro (one way) I´d say the 5 Euro is a pretty good deal (especially as there´s no walking involved to/from the bus stop).

I wasn't sure from this post if the shuttle was 5 euro one way but after reading your excellent review I see it is 5 euro return. That's an excellent deal considering the local bus 1 is actually 3 euro one way (unlike other local buses). In addition I assume the shuttle doesn't stop frequently on the way.

Thanks for the info.