Prepaid tips

florence11

I have just got back from a cruise on Oceana and I had to pre pay my tips to have Select dining. The service I had on a few nights was not very good especially in the main dining room (the food was), would I have been able to remove my tips if I had wanted still stay on Select dining. I would just like to know for future reference, as I often wonder if the staff just don't care about service as the tips have been paid.

Thanks

If you experience a problem with service on any particular night you are better of having a word with the Maitre'D rather than trying to play around with tips, he will soon get things sorted and really that's what you want.

I can find no reference anywhere about the need to pre pay gratuities on P&O for freedom or any included dining.

But Celebrity do demand that you pre pay on their ships for "freedom" dining which they call select dining, could the op be confused?

Auto tips were charged to our room on the first day of our cruise (last week). I went to reception on day 2 and altered the amount I wanted to pay. No questions asked, simply handed a form with some boxes to tick and the deed was done. Simples.

You can amend/cancel the auto tips at any time during your cruise.

Auto tips were charged to our room on the first day of our cruise (last week). I went to reception on day 2 and altered the amount I wanted to pay. No questions asked, simply handed a form with some boxes to tick and the deed was done. Simples.

You can amend/cancel the auto tips at any time during your cruise.

Not the same as my understanding of pre-paid Big Stevie, I assume these are paid with your balance before cruising, not on your on board account.

Not the same as my understanding of pre-paid Big Stevie, I assume these are paid with your balance before cruising, not on your on board account.

I guess so, I have no knowledge of paying tips prior to your cruise. I wonder if the OP means they paid at time of booking or their room was charged upon boarding?

Thank you for all the replies, I normally book my cruise through a travel agent not directly with P&O and everytime we have had select dining the tips were added to the balance. We have booked with Celebrity for next year and our tips have already been added on.

Tracey

Thank you for all the replies, I normally book my cruise through a travel agent not directly with P&O and everytime we have had select dining the tips were added to the balance. We have booked with Celebrity for next year and our tips have already been added on.

Tracey

Sounds odd for P & O although I know that for lines like Celebrity this is the norm. If your TA really did add them on for your P &O cruise I hope you didn't get charged an auto gratuity again on board...?

Personally i would be rather unhappy at paying tips before I am anywhere near the ship!

With P&O, the tips are not added when you book. They are added to your account on the first or second day on board although they don't get charged to your credit card until you leave the ship.

I understood that RCI/Celebrity add tips only if you book Freedom dining or Anytime as they call it.

Brian