Upsell Offer on the Westerdam--Worth taking?

supatraveler

Hi There,

I know people often discuss upsell/upgrade offers here. I was offered one today and since it seems pricey to me, I was curious what your thoughts are on it.

We currently have a midship balcony room on the Westerdam. Our TA called us today with two upsell offers--either $250pp for an upgrade to a Signature Suite, or $550 pp for an upgrade to a Neptune Suite. While the upgrade to a Neptune Suite seems appealing, that also seems a bit expensive to me. The Signature Suite seems more manageable price wise, but is it worth it? I'm guessing if we do decide to take it, the options won't be midship, which does concern me, since I like that location. Is there anything else I should be considering or asking the TA tomorrow am?

I know everyone's opinions on this vary, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on these two offers. This is our first time sailing on HAL and the Westerdam.

Thanks for the input!

The $300/pp difference for a Neptune over an SS is for access to the Neptune Lounge and free laundry. May not be worth it. IMHO the SS is a good deal for the extra room/balcony and double Mariner points. All of the SS category cabins are midship on Deck 6.

Edited by Crew News

The $300/pp difference for a Neptune over an SS is for access to the Neptune Lounge and free laundry. May not be worth it. IMHO the SS is a good deal for the extra room/balcony and double Mariner points. All of the SS category cabins are midship on Deck 6.

Thanks for that insight--it's a one week cruise, so laundry is not an issue for us. If we can get a SS in midship we might take it, otherwise I think we're likely going to pass.

Thanks!

If I remember most of the signature suites are fairly midship anyway. These cabins are great and SO much nicer than a balcony cabin on a Vista ship which is fairly small. The bathroom is also nice with a separate shower and 2 sinks. We have never felt the perks of the Neptune suite are worth the price, but we have splurged for the signature suite. $250pp is a good deal.

You made comment you are mid ship, are you currently on deck 5? If so you are possibly in a category VA which while HAL classifies as their highest balcony category it actually is not as desirable for those that know the ship. The balcony itself is smaller that the more forward or aft balconies and you are sitting right on top of the life boats. My first Alaska cruise in 2004 was in one of those cabins :D Over the years I have had a lot of Neptune suites but I have also had Signature Suites and in all honesty my opinion for the money is the Signature Suites. They are one and a half times the size of a regular balcony cabin yet you have the large bathroom like the Neptune Suites with the double sink. You just do not have the dressing area and access to the Neptune Lounge.

You made comment you are mid ship, are you currently on deck 5? If so you are possibly in a category VA which while HAL classifies as their highest balcony category it actually is not as desirable for those that know the ship. The balcony itself is smaller that the more forward or aft balconies and you are sitting right on top of the life boats. My first Alaska cruise in 2004 was in one of those cabins :D Over the years I have had a lot of Neptune suites but I have also had Signature Suites and in all honesty my opinion for the money is the Signature Suites. They are one and a half times the size of a regular balcony cabin yet you have the large bathroom like the Neptune Suites with the double sink. You just do not have the dressing area and access to the Neptune Lounge.

Wow--you guessed it!! We are indeed on a VA on deck 5--I didn't know that was a less desirable position and my TA unfortunately didn't relay that information. :(

So, in your opinion, is the upgrade to a Signature Suite for $500 more total worth it?

Thanks!

IMHO the SS is a good deal for the extra room/balcony and double Mariner points.
Sorry, but upsells from categories which don't offer the suite bonus for Mariner days in the first place aren't eligible to receive them. If one is going from a booked Signature Suite (such as an SS) to a Neptune Suite - then the bonus days remain.

If the OP goes for either upsell offer from a VA cabin, no suite bonus days.

Sorry, but upsells from categories which don't offer the suite bonus for Mariner days in the first place aren't eligible to receive them. If one is going from a booked Signature Suite (such as an SS) to a Neptune Suite - then the bonus days remain.

Thanks for the additional info. I don't sail enough on HAL to be counting the points or bonus days, so I'm most interested in if the the SS is worth the extra $500 pp in terms of space/room quality.

Thanks!

And we all know that 199 Mariner days +whatever bonus days is going to buy you at least one specialty coffee ... so do not hesitate one minute and make that jump :eek:

Seriously, go for the Signature Suite and don't look back.

Wow--you guessed it!! We are indeed on a VA on deck 5--I didn't know that was a less desirable position and my TA unfortunately didn't relay that information. :(

So, in your opinion, is the upgrade to a Signature Suite for $500 more total worth it?

Thanks!

Most Definitely, call your TA first thing in the morning, The dept that handles the upsells opens at 8 am pacific time.

About a year ago HAL changed those deck 5 cabins from a VE category to VA,. Those that pick a Guarantee often get assigned those. To the new cruiser and sadly some TA's they think because that category is the highest price it is the best location unfortunately this is not true. Many passengers that get the VA were ones that purchase the last minute Flash sales and because these were the most expensive that is what is left and where the guarantee cabins get assigned.

While it is not a bad cabin you are sitting on top of the life boat and the balcony is definitely smaller. Definitely worth being advised of the difference in location.

Thank you all for the input!! I wish I had known that the VA cabins were not the best, however I paid a pretty good deal for ours so I don't feel to bad about that. I've emailed our TA and will call her first thing in the morning and hopefully the upsell offer will still exist, and we'll grab it!

A few remaining questions:

1. Are all Signature Suites created equal, ie, is it fine for them to assign me whichever SS they want? Do I even have a say?

2. I've noticed that there are still quite a few SS available on the ship--are all of those available for upsells, or are only limited number released for upsells?

Thank you again for all your great responses and input! I'm glad I checked before turning down the offer!

Thank you all for the input!! I wish I had known that the VA cabins were not the best, however I paid a pretty good deal for ours so I don't feel to bad about that. I've emailed our TA and will call her first thing in the morning and hopefully the upsell offer will still exist, and we'll grab it!

1. Are all Signature Suites created equal, ie, is it fine for them to assign me whichever SS they want? Do I even have a say?

2. I've noticed that there are still quite a few SS available on the ship--are all of those available for upsells, or are only limited number released for upsells?

Thank you again for all your great responses and input! I'm glad I checked before turning down the offer!

When it comes to the SS cabins on deck 6 they are all good in my opinion. But if choosing I always pick 6101 or 6103 or the same cabins on the Port side. I just like the location. :)

You SHOULD be able to pick your SS cabin (use your knowledge of the open cabins, but remember than HAL does not list all the open cabins on its website, merely no more than 10 per category). Figure out where you want to be before you call and give your TA your priorities.

Thank you for the input, I didn't realize HAL only showed 10 open cabins on their site per category at a time.

Since I don't know the HAL or the Westerdam very well, is there anything in particular I should ask for with regard to location of the SS? They are all midship which was I initially my most important factor.

Should I ask about something else as well? Do they vary in size at all?

Thank you for the input, I didn't realize HAL only showed 10 open cabins on their site per category at a time.

Since I don't know the HAL or the Westerdam very well, is there anything in particular I should ask for with regard to location of the SS? They are all midship which was I initially my most important factor.

Should I ask about something else as well? Do they vary in size at all?

About a year ago HAL changed the Signature Suite categories all around - the SS are now SY and visa versa. So, basically all the cabins are about the same size (except for a couple of SY's that are angled. I think the reason for the category changes was that some passengers did not like being on deck 8, below the pool which can be noisy at times. The choice is really a personal matter.

On my upcoming Westerdam cruise I selected SY 8099 (or 8094) due to the angled cabin (refer to the deck plan). I like being on deck 8, but to avoid the noise from the pool area (mostly chair scrapping) I book cabins aft of the midship elevators (they are under the carpeted area of the Liod buffett and have never had a noise issue). Also, I would avoid the first cabins next to the midship elevators, as you can see onto those verandas from the glass elevators.

Just my opinion of course.

We also were offered the SS upgrade last week for $299/person and I jumped at it. We are first time cruisers so I let my TA choose the SS that she thought best. We are 6107. We went from an inside cabin to an outside with an obstructed by life boat port hole room , to a balcony stateroom (flash sale) to the signature suite all in less than 3 months. Ready!

The danger is now that once in an SS Suite, you won't settle for less on those ships that have them ;-) We were totally spoiled by an upsell to one! Just booked a 3-week Caribbean on the Oosterdam in one for next winter...can't wait!

No double Mariner points on upsells. We just ran into this on our last cruise. You have to book and pay full fare to get double cruise days. I even call HAL and was told look at your documents, it specifically says this.

No double Mariner points on upsells. We just ran into this on our last cruise. You have to book and pay full fare to get double cruise days. I even call HAL and was told look at your documents, it specifically says this.

One exception - if you book a Signature (or Vista suite) and take an upsell to a Neptune or Pinnacle suite, you still get the double Mariner points. Maybe a minor point, but just to clarify for everyone.

We booked a Obstructed View Oceanview on the Westerdam for the June 13, 2015, 7 night Alaska cruise. This morning we were offered and upsell offer. $39.00 per person for and Oceanview OR $129.00 per person for a Verandah.

We jumped at the Verandah offer. We got a Cat. VA Balcony Cabin :)

Edited by LovetheSea