avalon update

pully8

I am somewhat surprised at the "pro-Avalon Waterways" on this board. Many of the posts seem to come from people who have not sailed with them yet. The travel agency I work with prefers not to sell it. They indicated that their clients have a more positive experience with other river cruise lines. I have not been on Avalon to compare. I will probably stay with Uniworld and Tauck as they seem to be a good fit.

Tauck is a difference experience and price point than Avalon. If you read Jazz's sticky, Avalon is comparable to Marriott. If you are an experience River Cruiser you can understand that things can go wrong on the river very quickly. It is the way that Avalon has handled these issues compared to other lines which gives them high accolades. I am not sure where you got the impression that many pro-Avalon folks have not sailed with them yet. There are plenty, one can easily read the formal reviews in the review section of Cruise Critic for more information.

I am somewhat surprised at the "pro-Avalon Waterways" on this board. Many of the posts seem to come from people who have not sailed with them yet. The travel agency I work with prefers not to sell it. They indicated that their clients have a more positive experience with other river cruise lines. I have not been on Avalon to compare. I will probably stay with Uniworld and Tauck as they seem to be a good fit.

I don't share your surprise. There are a lot of people who are "anti" one cruise line or another that they have never traveled with who post negative things about those lines. Doesn't matter whether it's river or ocean.

I have a short list of lines I shop and a much longer list of lines I don't even consider. Nothing wrong with most of the lines on the long list, they just aren't us. But it's sometimes difficult not to make an "anti" post.

Sometimes the "benefit" being paid is kept confidential and the affected passengers are asked to NOT reveal the settlement.

IMHO it may not be polite to ask if the info was not offered.

I assume if Tobermory signed a NDA he wouldn't even be talking about a "generous refund".

I am sure Avalon would love to have my asking the refund amount to "not be polite". Businesses such as this love secrecy. If Tobermory received a 10% refund because he was forceful, why should should others who may not been so aggressive receive only 5%? Didn't they suffer the same harm? Shouldn't everyone know what the settlement is?

Another good example is the auto industry. People with a certain model car have a problem and the dealership tells them it's unique to them. Then through internet car forums they discover that there is a whole class of people with the same defect. Next thing you know the manufacturer has to do do a TSB or a recall.

One of the great things about the internet is the sharing of information among individuals or groups that wasn't possible before. Information is power.

Well, I'm surprised that you're surprised. :)

I have sailed with both Uniworld and Avalon. Loved both. Booked again with Avalon next year. There are more similarities than differences in those two cruiselines, although I preferred the desserts on Avalon. DH enjoyed the early morning walks before breakfast on Uniworld. We had great trips on both and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one.

Has your travel agent actually sailed with Avalon?

I assume if Tobermory signed a NDA he wouldn't even be talking about a "generous refund".

I am sure Avalon would love to have my asking the refund amount to "not be polite". Businesses such as this love secrecy. If Tobermory received a 10% refund because he was forceful, why should should others who may not been so aggressive receive only 5%? Didn't they suffer the same harm? Shouldn't everyone know what the settlement is?

Another good example is the auto industry. People with a certain model car have a problem and the dealership tells them it's unique to them. Then through internet car forums they discover that there is a whole class of people with the same defect. Next thing you know the manufacturer has to do do a TSB or a recall.

One of the great things about the internet is the sharing of information among individuals or groups that wasn't possible before. Information is power.

Really.... I believe he said more than enough. Had he want to share more than he was happy and he felt the result was generous then he would have said more.....

The details are not you business if the poster does not want to provide them.

He is happy, pretty clear to me!

Really.... I believe he said more than enough. Had he want to share more than he was happy and he felt the result was generous then he would have said more.....

The details are not you business if the poster does not want to provide them.

He is happy, pretty clear to me!

An important purpose of this board is the sharing of information. I believe people should be allowed to ask questions. Whether anyone answers, well that's their choice.

Oh, and for example, you chose not to answer my questions, but that's fine, it's your prerogative.

Edited by No Spin

We are Avalon cheerleaders. Three down and 2 more this year. Two in Europe already, one in South America (Peru). One in Asia (Mekong) and one in Europe coming up. We have had wonderful trips and I believe Avalon has one of the best logistical teams in all of river cruising.

On the river cruises we have already had, I have talked to many of our fellow cruisers and I have not heard one complaint. In 2013, our cruise was just after the record flooding and our Captain and the Avalon logistical team had to work us around the German lockworkers strike. They did.

We love the "Suite ships" and their roomy cabins and beautiful bathrooms. The crew is wonderful and experienced.

Here is a story I love to tell. On the Rhine cruise last year, early on the cruise we sat with at dinner a lovely couple from England. The cruise was to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The wife explained that she had called 3 or 4 river cruise companies because her husband has serious dietary restrictions. She got the answers she needed from the Avalon representative and here they were. During the cruise, I saw that as soon as they entered the dining room at lunch or dinner, the Maitre D came to their table with the menu and helped her husband to make his meal selections.

I could go on and on. Will we travel with other companies? Possibly, if there is a itinerary we see that we want to do.

I don't know what the travel agent for Casey12 is talking about. My money is on Avalon.

Low water, high water I believe that Avalon's logistical team has their Plan B and maybe Plan C worked out.

Here is a story I love to tell. On the Rhine cruise last year, early on the cruise we sat with at dinner a lovely couple from England. The cruise was to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The wife explained that she had called 3 or 4 river cruise companies because her husband has serious dietary restrictions. She got the answers she needed from the Avalon representative and here they were. During the cruise, I saw that as soon as they entered the dining room at lunch or dinner, the Maitre D came to their table with the menu and helped her husband to make his meal selections.

I do not have dietary restrictions but there are foods I do not eat, for health and weight management reasons. I advised Avalon before each of my cruises with them, and again on board. My advance requests were never acknowledged in the dining room and I ended up just ordering whatever chicken or fish dish could be served without sauces or grease.

Avalon did handle two issues we experienced on two different cruises very well; one was high water and another a delay due to the front of the boat getting damaged when it struck something. Kudos to them for causing passengers the least amount of inconvenience possible.

We preferred the food, wine, excursions, entertainment staff and crew on our AMA cruises to those on our Avalon cruises and feel that AMA is definitely a step up. YMMV.

I should clarify our refund, but I prefer not to provide the exact amount. We were refunded 50% of the cruise cost on a prorated basis for the days when we did not sail even though on most of those days we were still provided with our scheduled tours (some by being bused to the city). Everyone on our cruise received a refund that was calculated on the same basis for every passenger. We were informed about this about half-way through the cruise, and we received the information in writing. All passengers received an additional $200 per person for the inconvenience of transferring ships on the fifth day (following a three-hour bus ride to the other ship).

Again, I want to emphasize that we had a wonderful trip. Under the circumstances, Avalon could not have treated us better. We met very many people who had nothing but praise for past cruises on Avalon, and most people were saying that they would sail with Avalon in the future. We were on a brand new ship, the "Avalon Tranquility II", whose cabins were nicer than we have had on ocean cruise ships. The meals were excellent. All the crew were very friendly and helpful. Everything was exceptionally well organized. Our cruise director was outstanding. Would we recommend Avalon? Yes, definitely.

Tobermory you did not need to give any info you were not comfortable giving. I thought your original post was clear that you were pleased with Avalon and the outcome.

Thanks for letting us know that Avalon treats their passengers well when things don't go according to plan.

Edited by JVilleGal

I should clarify our refund, but I prefer not to provide the exact amount. We were refunded 50% of the cruise cost on a prorated basis for the days when we did not sail even though on most of those days we were still provided with our scheduled tours (some by being bused to the city). Everyone on our cruise received a refund that was calculated on the same basis for every passenger. We were informed about this about half-way through the cruise, and we received the information in writing. All passengers received an additional $200 per person for the inconvenience of transferring ships on the fifth day (following a three-hour bus ride to the other ship).

Thanks so much, that answers my question!

I am so happy to read all the wonderful things you have said about the Tranquility II. I am leaving in four days to Switzerland to start my very first river cruise after 49 ocean cruises.

Very pleased I chose Avalon for my first one!

PS: I did hear their customer service was far superior to other lines, the new ship sold me on it though! :D

Can't control the rivers flow, just hoping for a fab vacation, bus, river, just as long as I'm not at work!

Could to hear of so many positive opinions about Avalon.

Hello WendyG,

"Can't control the rivers flow, just hoping for a fab vacation, bus, river, just as long as I'm not at work!"

That is a good attitude. :) It is looking really good though for a nice vacation as regards the weather and river level! Which is the main concern of course.

Happy sailing. I hope this upload works. Here is a taste for you, the Avalon Tranquility II in Koblenz:

notamermaid

PICT0078.jpg.5fe572fe165226edeb2e07da45f629e8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How lovely! We are two hours away from docking in koblenz [emoji1] the weather has been picture perfect ever since we arrived a week ago. Blue sunny skies and 82-84 every day! Couldn't ask for better weather (although a little cooler would have been welcomed since we live in Florida) but no complaints from me thus far!

For anyone sailing on Avalon soon, I just got my docs. WHOOHOO!! 5 weeks prior to sailing, even! I love the slim blue envelope they come in - will work great in my larger carry-on bag. There's a lot of good information in the booklet, along with vouchers for the hotel and prepaid tips. All looks really nice and it's fun to get paper documents after years of having e-docs!

For anyone sailing on Avalon soon, I just got my docs. WHOOHOO!! 5 weeks prior to sailing, even! I love the slim blue envelope they come in - will work great in my larger carry-on bag. There's a lot of good information in the booklet, along with vouchers for the hotel and prepaid tips. All looks really nice and it's fun to get paper documents after years of having e-docs!

Got ours about 5 weeks in advance too. Like the envelope but not quite wide enough for printer paper tickets. Good stuff tho. Can't wait!

Got ours about 5 weeks in advance too. Like the envelope but not quite wide enough for printer paper tickets. Good stuff tho. Can't wait!

That's true, but it'll fit in my carry-on well this way. I like the zipper pocket on the back of it. Handy for passports, cash or other info. I saw that I could access the E-Materials link on Sunday on MyAvalon, so I started printing all of that out. I shouldn't have bothered with that.

Hope you get yours soon too, JVilleGal. :)

I had issues with broken lock during our Avalon cruise last and I can report we had the exact same experience with getting a refund, we did not have to sign a NDA and Avalon were very quick to change our itinerary and provide as much of the trip as they could under the circumstance.

Again, I want to emphasize that we had a wonderful trip. Under the circumstances, Avalon could not have treated us better. We met very many people who had nothing but praise for past cruises on Avalon, and most people were saying that they would sail with Avalon in the future. We were on a brand new ship, the "Avalon Tranquility II", whose cabins were nicer than we have had on ocean cruise ships. The meals were excellent. All the crew were very friendly and helpful. Everything was exceptionally well organized. Our cruise director was outstanding. Would we recommend Avalon? Yes, definitely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish our direct communication with Avalon/Globus in NZ had resulted in a positive response.

We found ourselves in a dreadful situation on Avalon Vista in May after one of the engines blew up on day 3 of our 13 day danube cruise. On day 3 we were told our ship could not continue.

We were compensated but not enough(passengers had to fight for that too), we still had to pay for the two days immediately after explosion because they provided a bed and food despite being moored in the middle of nowhere in an increasingly stressful and angry situation. We were given 3 options and two hours to make a decision, none of which were good for us, and we emailed NZ head office from the ship and were told to choose an option and further compensation could be discussed on our return to NZ. 10 mins before having to disembark we had to do something so we chose an option otherwise we and our suitcases would be on the dock, we were again told to make contact with Avalon/Globus on our return to NZ. We are now being told because we chose an option there would be no further compensation. We are in communication with 8 other couples who all feel the same as we do and intend to take the matter further.....But how and where?

I really wish our direct communication with Avalon/Globus in NZ had resulted in a positive response.

We found ourselves in a dreadful situation on Avalon Vista in May after one of the engines blew up on day 3 of our 13 day danube cruise. On day 3 we were told our ship could not continue.

We were compensated but not enough(passengers had to fight for that too), we still had to pay for the two days immediately after explosion because they provided a bed and food despite being moored in the middle of nowhere in an increasingly stressful and angry situation. We were given 3 options and two hours to make a decision, none of which were good for us, and we emailed NZ head office from the ship and were told to choose an option and further compensation could be discussed on our return to NZ. 10 mins before having to disembark we had to do something so we chose an option otherwise we and our suitcases would be on the dock, we were again told to make contact with Avalon/Globus on our return to NZ. We are now being told because we chose an option there would be no further compensation. We are in communication with 8 other couples who all feel the same as we do and intend to take the matter further.....But how and where?

If you emailed the NZ office and they replied in email you have proof that you were told further compensation would be discussed.