MITSUGIRLYS DAWN TO BERMUDA NOVEL (or review as some may call it)

mitsugirly

Thank you for the information. My daughter and I usually wear a sundress over our swim suits, but my son usually wears his swim trunks (they go to his knee) and a T shirt. Do you think that would be an issue with the natives?

No Wet suits on busses , No Camo style clothes ( for military only in Bermuda}

Loving your recap. It's fun to read along and see what you and your family did and think about our own trip. I think next time we need to rent a boat for sure. That looked like an awesome day!

The glassblowing shop was gorgeous, but yes, I know what you mean about being afraid to do anything in there. My DH took the boys out as soon as the demonstration was over. :eek:

We spent most of our time in St. George's at the St. Catherine's Beach area. My DH really does not like crowds, so it's desertion was perfect for us. I really wish we had the HOHO bus last year, because it would have made getting around a lot easier. It's nice to know they added it.

Continuing to read...:)

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. My daughter and I usually wear a sundress over our swim suits, but my son usually wears his swim trunks (they go to his knee) and a T shirt. Do you think that would be an issue with the natives?

Yes, as Biker said...as long as you dry off first you will be fine. My DH wears his swim trunks and a tee all the time in Bermuda. :)

Yes, as Biker said...as long as you dry off first you will be fine. My DH wears his swim trunks and a tee all the time in Bermuda. :)

Excellent! Thank you both! Interesting about the camo clothes. We're not a camo family, except for the bright pink camo running shorts my DD has. Never thought about it being an issue in other countries.

It's nice to know ahead of time, it's important to respect the traditions native to the places we visit

All I can say is can you adopt me? I will be your families personal nurse. Deal? Just take me on vacations with you ok? :)

Want to take care of my 90 year old father? I could put him and you in a 2 bedroom villa on the Breakaway for Bermuda. :D:D:D jk.

Kim, I have a very long sea turtle story that you would probably enjoy but I am afraid I would be hi jacking your review so I will give you the shortest version I can come up with.

We had friends over one evening and decided to walk up to the beach, there was a turtle nest right at the foot of the stairs, I saw the sand on the nest look like it was bubbling, thought a sand crab was digging in the nest and started to yell for my DH to come over, turns out it was the baby turtles hatching, they started heading in the wrong direction up over the dune instead of to the ocean (before they put the shields over the lights across the street) we got a flashlight and started leading the first ones out down to the water with the light from it.

As soon as we got them to the edge of the water we would walk back up to where more were heading the wrong way and lead them down, well, here comes the little ones that we had already led to the water, they were seeing the flashlight behind them and turning around!! I didn't think you were supposed to touch them (remembering the old myth about not touching baby birds) but we were desperate to save them so we started picking them up 2 at a time and carrying them down to the water without using the light. We got 76 turtles to the water that night, can't be sure how many made it safely out to deep water but I kissed each one before putting it in the water.

There were a few comical things that happened along the way like one of the guys didn't want to touch them so I had to shove the babies into his hands,:eek: but I have taken up enough of your review so I will stop now.:)

Edited by coscab
  • Like 1

Loving your review as always Kim! Hope you are feeling better now...

Just a quick question - did Kendra have 5 people in her stateroom? How did that work out? I'm not sure I could cope with that......

Your photos and family are beautiful and I felt sad too when I saw the photos of pulling away from the dock......

Thank goodness Jamman is leaving soon on his cruise so we have another review to look forward to as yours is winding down....

Sharon

Thank You for the Usual Great Photo Review. :):):)

You are very welcome. Glad you like it.

It looks like you didn't show the Freestyle Daily for Day 3 in Bermuda...except for on the bed with a towel puppy? :)

I show the dailies within the very first post for that particular day. So it was posted when I began the review for our 3rd day in Bermuda...located HERE.

The daily in the towel animal picture is the daily they leave you for the next day...which will be posted in my review for that day. ;) :D

P6070006%20copy-L.jpg

Nice pic you got of the Moongate @ The Drinking and Arguing club . ;)

True. I forgot about that and that was a mere coincidence since we were just driving by and I snapped a picture. LOL I don't think I even realized it when I did it. :p

Thanks so much for the info and pictures of the boat you rented, I started looking into renting a boat after I booked Bermuda for May 2015, I feel good about using H20 now knowing you give them a thumbs up!!

If you booked Bermuda for May 2015, I think you missed your cruise. Just saying...:p :D

I definitely like H2O, but I just hope they get their issues worked out with their equipment. It would have been tragic if there were actually others booked with them the same time we did for the jet skis. I don't know what they would have done then. But you can't predict what might happen to anything motorized. I know that first hand just having "toys" at our house like jet skis, boats, 4 wheeler and so on. Stuff happens. Plus the obviously can't control when someone rents their equipment and messes it up. But it didn't work out great for us and to our advantage as well. :)

Still loving your review Kim. Now you know why so many people love staying for 3 days in Bermuda instead of hitting a new port every day. We're still finding new things to explore in Bermuda after 5 cruises there. It's fun taking new people with us and showing them around too.

It's a shame you didn't get to see more Longtails. They are usually flying all around the Museum grounds there by the Commissioners House.

For those that don't know about, I'll post a photo of the Moongate sign.

And a few Longtails.........

I have always said I would love cruises that did that. I can remember even back in the day when we'd go to a port and be there until around 1am. It made for a GREAT day and plenty of time to do various things.

If I had my choice about a cruise, I wish ALL ports could be your choice of going and docking and staying there for 3 days straight. That would be the perfect way to see the islands everywhere.

Oh we seen PLENTY of long tails. They were everywhere. I just wasn't about to waste my time "trying" to capture them in a picture with my battery situation. They are so fast and with only a point and shoot camera, even having it on sports mode doesn't always work. You know, one of those for every 100 pictures you take you might get 10 you like kinda thing. I knew I had taken several on our first day at Horseshoe Bay and that was good enough for me that I figured I would save my battery life for other things. Plus while on the jet skis and motorboat, I had 2 other things working against me, which were the moving birds and a us moving as well. LOL :)

Loving your recap. It's fun to read along and see what you and your family did and think about our own trip. I think next time we need to rent a boat for sure. That looked like an awesome day!

The glassblowing shop was gorgeous, but yes, I know what you mean about being afraid to do anything in there. My DH took the boys out as soon as the demonstration was over. :eek:

We spent most of our time in St. George's at the St. Catherine's Beach area. My DH really does not like crowds, so it's desertion was perfect for us. I really wish we had the HOHO bus last year, because it would have made getting around a lot easier. It's nice to know they added it.

Continuing to read...:)

Definitely rent a boat. It was such an awesome time.

Hopefully we'll get to see the demo next time we are there.

St Catherine's was very pretty. The only draw back was no facilities or concession stand. But from the looks of things, that will be changing soon.

The HOHO bus is awesome.

Kim, My dream is that some day I will have enough money to retire in Bermuda and live out the rest of my life there.

Good Luck. It would be beautiful but very expensive. I know I was reading something once that said if you were not born there then if you are to move there as a non-resident, you are required to purchase a home no less than 3.5 million $$ to live there.

When we were in St George and Kendra was in that grocery store before heading to the visitor center, she inquired about "renting" a 2 bedroom apartment there and it was 1.5 million. ;)

I'll be visiting, but I won't ever be staying for good at those rates. :p

Want to take care of my 90 year old father? I could put him and you in a 2 bedroom villa on the Breakaway for Bermuda. :D:D:D jk.

Ohhhhhh, I love me some 90 year olds. I take care of a little 96 year old lady from Puerto Rico and she is my special patient that I just love and adore her. She's one of those people that make you realize why you went into nursing. But she's just as healthy as a horse, still gets around, has her own place (being watched by her daughter next door), and takes NO medications. Such a doll. I love the elderly and I love to hear their stories from growing up. :)

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ loving your novel!:p Reading the last few pages I just thought of a couple more reasons to do an Alaska cruise from Seattle ~ the Chihuly glass museum by the Space Needle & WHALES! You gotta do it, the pictures will be amazing!

Bermuda is lovely & staying there at least a couple of nights by the Dockyard is great!

~ Jo ~ :)

• Like 1

Kim, I have a very long sea turtle story that you would probably enjoy but I am afraid I would be hi jacking your review so I will give you the shortest version I can come up with.

We had friends over one evening and decided to walk up to the beach, there was a turtle nest right at the foot of the stairs, I saw the sand on the nest look like it was bubbling, thought a sand crab was digging in the nest and started to yell for my DH to come over, turns out it was the baby turtles hatching, they started heading in the wrong direction up over the dune instead of to the ocean (before they put the shields over the lights across the street) we got a flashlight and started leading the first ones out down to the water with the light from it.

As soon as we got them to the edge of the water we would walk back up to where more were heading the wrong way and lead them down, well, here comes the little ones that we had already led to the water, they were seeing the flashlight behind them and turning around!! I didn't think you were supposed to touch them (remembering the old myth about not touching baby birds) but we were desperate to save them so we started picking them up 2 at a time and carrying them down to the water without using the light. We got 76 turtles to the water that night, can't be sure how many made it safely out to deep water but I kissed each one before putting it in the water.

There were a few comical things that happened along the way like one of the guys didn't want to touch them so I had to shove the babies into his hands,:eek: but I have taken up enough of your review so I will stop now.:)

Aww that was amazing and no worries about hijacking. I love to hear things like this. I would love to witness that. Truly amazing. :)

Loving your review as always Kim! Hope you are feeling better now...

Just a quick question - did Kendra have 5 people in her stateroom? How did that work out? I'm not sure I could cope with that......

Your photos and family are beautiful and I felt sad too when I saw the photos of pulling away from the dock......

Thank goodness Jamman is leaving soon on his cruise so we have another review to look forward to as yours is winding down....

Sharon

I'm starting to come around. Day 3 on my medications and I can already tell a big change.

Yes, she had 5 people in her room, but she always does this and it doesn't bother her. Her and her bf on 1 bed, his sister on the other, sisters kid on 1 bunk and actually when you pull down the other bunk, it blocks the tv, so what they did was once they were in for the night, they would remove the mattress from that bunk and it fit perfectly in the hall in front of the bathroom and you could still open the door if you needed to use the restroom. Yep, sounds crowded but they do this every time, so they are use to it.

Oh oh, Jamman is going to Bermuda next? I will have to keep my eyes peeled for his review to see what he does. :)

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ loving your novel!:p Reading the last few pages I just thought of a couple more reasons to do an Alaska cruise from Seattle ~ the Chihuly glass museum by the Space Needle & WHALES! You gotta do it, the pictures will be amazing!

Bermuda is lovely & staying there at least a couple of nights by the Dockyard is great!

~ Jo ~ :)

Oh I would love to see the Chihuly museum. We have a BUNCH of it on display at our Conservatory here in Columbus and we always go when they have the butterfly exhibit and I love to photograph the Chihuly. They are so bright and beautiful. Did you realize that he hides a special "angel" in some of the exhibits of a bunch of glass together? I didn't know for several years until one of the workers told me about it and I always look for it now.

6883436429_f01391fa60_z.jpg

A collage I did a few years back at our conservatory.

The whales and other things you normally wouldn't get to see in the Caribbean is the main reason I have been considering Alaska. I know Sakari would love it.

Thank you for your Bermuda review. We are going in October and will be refering back to your Bermuda experiences for sure.

Unfortunately we are only there over one night, 130pm to 130pm, so we wont have all the fun you did.

Again, thank you!

If you booked Bermuda for May 2015, I think you missed your cruise. Just saying...:p :D

You got me!!!

If you sail out of Boston again you can go on a whale watch there, I can't remember exactly but I think we went in June and saw lots of whales and dolphins, the boat we were on was not very big, I was afraid the whales might tip us over.:eek: DH has been tipped over by a manatee when kayaking:p

We see whales off our coast here in FL when they migrate, (and dolphins all the time) so maybe if you do some research you can go whale watching some place that's warm.:)

Oh oh, Jamman is going to Bermuda next? I will have to keep my eyes peeled for his review to see what he does. :)

No, I think he is going to Caribbean on the Carnival Splendor next week according to his signature countdown...but I'm sure it will be another great review! I just meant another great review to look forward to.........

Your last Bermuda day looked great. I'm glad it worked out for you. :D I have never seen sea glass before (well except for some sea glass earrings I bought in South Carolina once :rolleyes:) and that beach looked amazing. As for that glass blowing store, I would have been freaking out at all that colour and beauty. Could you please give me an idea of what the prices were like?

Glad that you are feeling better.

Heather

Thank you for your Bermuda review. We are going in October and will be refering back to your Bermuda experiences for sure.

Unfortunately we are only there over one night, 130pm to 130pm, so we wont have all the fun you did.

Again, thank you!

Oh, I'm sorry. Why would they only stay 1 night? Is that a 5 day cruise? Is this on the Pride? I LOVED the Pride. :)

You got me!!!

If you sail out of Boston again you can go on a whale watch there, I can't remember exactly but I think we went in June and saw lots of whales and dolphins, the boat we were on was not very big, I was afraid the whales might tip us over.:eek: DH has been tipped over by a manatee when kayaking:p

We see whales off our coast here in FL when they migrate, (and dolphins all the time) so maybe if you do some research you can go whale watching some place that's warm.:)

That would be neat. I know there's certain times of the year you can catch them migrating in different areas. I had really hoped we might see some down by Grand Turk back at the beginning of April toward the end of their migrating season, but no luck.

I kinda think about freaky things like the whale jumping up and hitting the boat too. Kinda scary. It actually did happen (I think it was) right after our cruise to a honeymoon couple that was coming back from a snorkeling excursion (not the whale excursion) and it jumped up on the boat and killed her. So sad.

No, I think he is going to Caribbean on the Carnival Splendor next week according to his signature countdown...but I'm sure it will be another great review! I just meant another great review to look forward to.........

Oh ok. I'll still have to look. :)

Your last Bermuda day looked great. I'm glad it worked out for you. :D I have never seen sea glass before (well except for some sea glass earrings I bought in South Carolina once :rolleyes:) and that beach looked amazing. As for that glass blowing store, I would have been freaking out at all that colour and beauty. Could you please give me an idea of what the prices were like?

Glad that you are feeling better.

Heather

Oh hundreds and hundreds of $$. I know that the one fish in the picture was $350. The small vase $40 Soap dish $40 Another vase $90.

Of course anything that caught my eye that I would want was over $300 :p

As always, it is great fun to read your reviews and to watch Sakari grow. What a cutie!

I grew up in NJ, where pop is "soda." My Midwestern friends all say "pop."

However, if it comes from a gun, I think it should be "pop gun" not "gun soda." Just sayin'!

Thanks for taking the time to do this and I hope you are feeling better.

And yes, that proprietary charger for the Olympus is a pain to replace on the fly. But seriously, you're a paying passenger and if the ship's shops can't stock a replacement, they should provide a charge cheerfully and without complaint. The hassling seemed really petty, IMO.