CPAP MACHINES (breathing)

we are sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in Feb...do I need to bring an extention cord...we have 3 men , 2 in inside rooms and one balcony.

I know there is outlet at the desk and one in bathroom...any near the bed?

thanks in advance

You can take your own extension cord (best bet is to put it in your CPAP case and carry it on). Know that Carnival will confiscate extension cords and power strips if they see them, but they'll also provide you "approved" ones if you need them. You can contact their special needs dept to arrange this:

specialneeds@carnival.com

While I have had outlets close enough to use my CPAP, I definitely wouldn't count on it.

You can take your own extension cord (best bet is to put it in your CPAP case and carry it on). Know that Carnival will confiscate extension cords and power strips if they see them, but they'll also provide you "approved" ones if you need them. You can contact their special needs dept to arrange this:

While I have had outlets close enough to use my CPAP, I definitely wouldn't count on it.

thank you so much, i sent a letter to them...

I learned on cc that most ships have an outlet behind the bed.....checked on my last cruise on princess regal and there it was!...needed a different plug than us and I just happened to have one with the gadget I brought to plug all the usb stuff....very happy to have all the stuff plugged in at bedside with no cord snaking across the room...

There is a new wireless, maskless CPAP on the market. Ask your doctor about this for traveling. I just saw the article about it today.

Just a thought.

It isn't yet on the market. They are "crowd sourcing" funding for it. Supposedly it's only good for one night. They might get longer service time out of each device if the can get the cold fusion generator a whole lot smaller. :rolleyes:

I learned on cc that most ships have an outlet behind the bed.....checked on my last cruise on princess regal and there it was!...needed a different plug than us and I just happened to have one with the gadget I brought to plug all the usb stuff....very happy to have all the stuff plugged in at bedside with no cord snaking across the room...

Do you recall what the outlet looked like, i.e. flat/round plugs or their orientation? I'm a new CPAP user (2 months) so I'm still feeling my way through what's needed or useful.

Edited by Treven

There is a new wireless, maskless CPAP on the market. Ask your doctor about this for traveling. I just saw the article about it today.

Just a thought.

It isnt on the market. It is a semi-tested, not FDA approved (or whatever)l no clinical trials (or whatever) and no studies (or whatever) device some nano technology dude wants Crowd sourced funding for to attempt to being to market.

It takes new batteries EVERY 8 hours. So if you have long sleep syndrome in addition to apnea, you are out of luck.

I also have small nasal anatomy and thus cannot wear any nasal devices. I have only worn a full face mask for 6 months.

His nasal device is interesting... But plenty of hurdles to overcome before it comes to market.

I applaud anyone trying to think outside of the box....

This is not true about confiscation. I take them all the time, they see them and never say a word. The key is to take equipment that is in excellent - like new - condition.

I always take an extenison cord, in case they run out. Don't bother special services, ask your cabin steward for it as well as distilled water.

As for the battery cpap machine that needs funding for production, try this, it has been available for 3 years. Just found out from my doc. Need a new sleep lab, while wearing the Pro Vent, ( which insurance will pay for ), and you can get a scrip for a 30 days supply ( 1 day usage ) insurance does not pay for this ( about $60.00 a month )

I plan on doing this, makes life a bit easier on long trips and international flights.

http://www.proventtherapy.com/index.php

This is not true about confiscation. I take them all the time, they see them and never say a word. The key is to take equipment that is in excellent - like new - condition.

Tell that to the security officer in the naughty room who took my extension cord... There wasn't anything wrong with the cord, he just said it was policy to confiscate all extension cords. Not doubting that you got yours on, I've only ever had an issue twice (once Carnival, once RCCL). And Carnival's policy states:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

But YMMV. Best advice is to put your extension cord in your CPAP case.

Tell that to the security officer in the naughty room who took my extension cord... There wasn't anything wrong with the cord, he just said it was policy to confiscate all extension cords. Not doubting that you got yours on, I've only ever had an issue twice (once Carnival, once RCCL). And Carnival's policy states:

Quote:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

But YMMV. Best advice is to put your extension cord in your CPAP case.

Obviously they considered yours a hazard. Maybe not in good shape, too old, maybe not the 3 prong or maybe just not heavy duty enough. We once needed to get one from Steward on the Pacific Princess. That cord must have been 20 to 30 feet long. Behind the bed, down the wall, beneath the sliding door, along the wall and almost to the door taking up about 3/4 distance of the walls. He used those heavy orange ones.

Well Searoses said that it looked different than us (US?), so I thought it might have needed round prongs or took flat blades but a different orientation than the "normal" outlets we're used to in the US.

Edited by Treven

Carnival will confiscate power cords that have surge protectors. There is a newish rule prohibiting surge protectors. If you being one that doesn't have a surge protector, you should be fine.

Here's a link to a US Coast Guard bulletin explaining why surge protectors designed for land are a really Bad Idea on a ship:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Aloha,

John

I always take an extenison cord, in case they run out. Don't bother special services, ask your cabin steward for it as well as distilled water.

As for the battery cpap machine that needs funding for production, try this, it has been available for 3 years. Just found out from my doc. Need a new sleep lab, while wearing the Pro Vent, ( which insurance will pay for ), and you can get a scrip for a 30 days supply ( 1 day usage ) insurance does not pay for this ( about $60.00 a month )

I plan on doing this, makes life a bit easier on long trips and international flights.

http://www.proventtherapy.com/index.php

Just FYI, that's not the same device . . .

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE..

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

Actions clear.gif

Dear Judith

Thank you for contacting us we appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

The outlet is located by the vanity which may or may not be by the bed. Please advise the names and reservation numbers of the guests who will be traveling with a cpap machine so that we can make the necessary notation on their reservations.

We have a limited supply of extension cords onboard, they are available for medical use only, and on a first come first serve basis. All vessels carry 110V 15 Ft molded connector type extension cords. A $25 deposit fee will be added to the guest's Sail and Sign account. This is refundable once the extension cord has been returned. Please see Guest Services once onboard to obtain an extension cord. We now allow guests to bring their own. If you prefer to do so, please be certain to hand carry it along with the machine and not place them in your checked luggage.

Carnival Cruise Lines carries distilled water, which is available by contacting Housekeeping once onboard. The cost is approximately $3.00 a gallon.

If traveling by air, please check with the airline directly for their restrictions regarding traveling with medical equipment.

We look forward to providing you a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.See you on board!

THIS IS THE LETTER I RECEIVED BACK FROM cARNIVAL...HOPE IT HELPS YOU ALL

AND TO FOLLOW UP FROM THIS..I RECIEVED A CONFIRMATION THAT I WOULD HAVE EXTENTION CORDS IN ALL 3 ROOMS IN OUR GROUP, PLUS DISTILLED WATER...

(iCare@carnival.com) IS EMAIL ADDRESS

We had several adapters so I do not recall exactly....think it may have had skinny prongs....I know our USA plug did not work...until the adapter was put on....I have read here the surge protectors are the big no no....I found a bestek model with USA outlets and usb ports...ncl loaned us those heavy duty cords twice....so disliked having it snake across the cabin....a hazard for me as I can't lift my feet up when I first get out of bed so I hope my gadget and regular cord will do the trick from now on..

Please do not post in order to bump this thread to the top of the page. It's against our guidelines. Thanks for your help. Happy to hear that Carnival provided information needed.