Review: 12N Scandinavia & Russia - Celebrity Silhouette 28/May/2015

nekzaadvakil

Great photos and commentary. We are sailing on the Eclipse next Saturday to the Baltics and this has been a great preview.

JoAnn

Thanks JoAnn! I am sure you will have a fabulous time. Every port was wonderful, great natural beauty and warm friendly people. We left the cruise with some amazing memories.

After the canal cruise it was time to get something to eat. The MAOZ vegetarian place was just opposite so we decided to grab a quick bite there. Half our group decided to try out some kebabs next to the Maoz restaurant and they seemed to love it.

We then took a stroll down to the famous red light district. I thought it would be similar to the boulevard de Clichy in Paris just before the Moulin Rouge and there were similarities. There were plenty of tourists and it never felt unsafe although we were there close to midnight. The red colour and lights lit up the canals and buildings and it made for a very picturesque setting.

0577108D-AEBC-48F6-8689-B82D9B305C4C_zpsblnklmfs.jpg

1B93277D-0FEE-43AF-91C0-ADE22206D118_zpsmjnfbps4.jpg

A49E71BF-342A-41F7-8E65-9B5B398F3791_zpsdsuiawjx.jpg

B7CE4EB5-F356-460C-A0EE-429D5F596B2B_zpsagebpbld.jpg

54D148A4-98DD-4462-87B0-2ACFAE72254E_zps8pggtsow.jpg

We then decided to head back to the hotel and catch some shut eye. The next day was going to be a long day! We were going to the Zaanse Schans windmills and some shopping in the city, before our long journey back home in the evening.

10th June 2015

The final day of our holiday was upon us. We decided to travel to the Zaanse Schans windmills. We walked out of the hotel and crossed through the Amsterdam Central station from where we boarded a bus to take us to the windmills. It was a 45 minute drive and was very comfortable.

912BB534-9DE9-41CC-95CE-60EE3BF8E802_zpsnpauiovn.jpg

Zaanse Schans was absolutely amazing! Clear blue skies, greenery everywhere and the windmills in the distance all make for some amazing views!

BE5B9317-A888-4F6B-AC3D-1C81EDCFE4C8_zpsx2fh9me1.jpg

58E6CFA9-C636-4272-9973-29069F663AA0_zpszp6vz9sn.jpg

CF2241ED-65F8-4E92-9B04-AA9EF7779105_zps0ufnbuwx.jpg

38DE5B80-82FE-4109-8738-CED3FA1368DA_zpsehlnmv0w.jpg

There was a lot more to do here than just see the windmills. There were hourly demonstrations on how the shoes were made, how cheese was made and so on. We fed some amazing goats, birds and there were plenty of souvenir shops and places to grab a drink/ or a bite.

We walked to all the 3 large windmills and sat back and enjoyed the beautiful scenery!

F591DE19-7975-4A5C-A6E7-AC4E92A57BD3_zpsg5debzeb.jpg

Before we knew it, it was time to head back to the city. This was a place where one could easily spend half a day (probably more). Time really flies when you're having fun!

We headed back by bus and reached the city by 2PM. We yet had 4 hours before our car came to pick us (and our bags) for the airport. So we roamed around through the various streets, alleys and landmarks admiring this amazing city, promising ourselves that we'd be back soon.

CDF29906-8409-4F50-AE8A-F925BF9F737C_zpsxmph5p9k.jpg

DDFD7F63-DF83-48D1-A5B2-EB5D376FC80C_zpslr15zmqi.jpg

84ED40D8-6BC1-4910-87C4-E1AB18B34EAE_zpsolubm6ij.jpg

As I filled my belly with one final Maoz falafel, one last strawberry & Nutella crepe, we walked back to the hotel at sharp 6PM and left for the airport for our flight back home to Mumbai via Dubai.

Our flight back home was very comfortable. Emirates is a fantastic airline to fly. Our trip was filled with some wonderful memories, we felt very blessed to be able to tick so many places off our bucket list.

I read somewhere that one should buy experiences if they can afford it instead of materialistic things. Materialistic things like cars, a new TV, etc gives us short term happiness where as experiences like travel bring us long term happiness. We could not agree more!

The cruise gave us a lot of amazing memories which we will cherish for a long long time. Celebrity cruises will always hold a very special place in our hearts since its part of those amazing memories. Hopefully we will add to these in the very near future as well.

Cheers!

Nick

AB971128-5E16-4C57-8A92-DF60D80D50D5_zpsae780blu.jpg

P.S. Now back to the grind. Goodbye freedom!

944F6C84-E6DD-4DA9-97DD-DF218BA22F6A_zpseldnsp9m.jpg

Was glad for the tips on Zaanse Schaan, my sis and I were thinking of going there next month, your pictures have sealed it!

Thanks again for the wonderful write-up, Nick, that was a great itinerary and we met some super friendly folks. Take care and all the best...:)

Love that last picture and your comment Nik....we felt the same way and we are retired. It was truly the best cruise/trip we have taken, even with DW's mobility issues. Thanks again for sharing your pictures and thoughts.

Thanks so much for such a great review. You've given us a lot to think about for next summer on (almost) the same itinerary. Looks like we will give Moscow a go!

Edited by pjs678

Lovely report of your holiday, and excellent pics. Thanks for posting, I now need to do a Baltic cruise!

Thanks so much for such a great review. You've given us a lot to think about for next summer on (almost) the same itinerary. Looks like we will give Moscow a go!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. :)

Would you want the scans of the celebrity today dailies? I think I have them. Anything specific you're looking for?

Not looking for anything specific in the dailies, just like to look at them as we plan our cruise for next summer...to get an idea of what happens when.

• 3 weeks later...

Nick- just got caught up with the end of your review in Amsterdam.

A great read from stem to stern-thank you for taking the time and including so many great photos of places I haven't been to.

Norris

• 11 months later...

Phew what a super review. It seems I've been with you on the trip and experienced all the things you did. Thanks nick.

I'm doing the same cruise ,with family and friends,on the silhouette next May ( except it's 13 nights and has 2 nights 3 days in spb )

Will pick your brains for more tips if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the great review

Phew what a super review. It seems I've been with you on the trip and experienced all the things you did. Thanks nick.

I'm doing the same cruise ,with family and friends,on the silhouette next May ( except it's 13 nights and has 2 nights 3 days in spb )

Will pick your brains for more tips if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the great review

Thanks Moksha! Feel free to ask away. 2N in St. P will be awesome.

Cheers!

Nick

Although my husband and I are sailing on the Equinox in April, I am so glad I clicked on your review. Thank you - loved the review and the pictures. Unfortunately, we have traveled all over the US, Canada, Mexico, and South America, we have yet to travel to Europe. It is on our bucket list. Again, loved your review.

• 10 months later...

Thank you Nick for a wonderful review and all those lovely photos. I and my hubby are going on a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette next May (2018) when it replaces the Eclipse sailing from Southampton. I would have liked to see a picture of you and your family among the photos but that was the only thing that was missing. :)