Le Bistro vs Cagney's - Which is your FAVORITE, and why?

Sandman799

I think it may vary by ship. I've always loved the Bistro, but on my last cruise (the Pearl), I thought Cagneys had better service and better lamb and steaks. (Not to knock the Bistro's service--I think they may have gotten overwhelmed by all the extra diners because of UDP promotion.) I have been on one of the older ships (Star? Sun?) where the ambiance of Cagneys was just too crowded and noisy. I get tired of the menu at the Bistro, because there are only a couple of entrees that I really like, but that might happen at Cagneys too if I dined there more often. So on my next cruise I will sample them both, and then dine more often at whichever one provides better service and tenderer meat.

For my wife and I LeBistro is #1, Cagney's 2 and pulling up quickly is LaCucina. LaCucina has the best bread. Yes it is different from the rest of the restaurants.

Cagney's is 2 since we're usually in a suite and eat there for breakfast most mornings. We need a change in scenery.

I like both but on the gem in April our service experience in cagneys was not great, we tried again another evening and it didn't improve. There was a table of 20 in both nights who needed multiple waiters so our table was overlooked so many times. Le bistro was fabulous, shame we left it til the last night to go

For my wife and I LeBistro is #1, Cagney's 2 and pulling up quickly is LaCucina. LaCucina has the best bread. Yes it is different from the rest of the restaurants.

Cagney's is 2 since we're usually in a suite and eat there for breakfast most mornings. We need a change in scenery.

LaCucina lol I always forget the name of the Italian place lol. I love how they give you different dipping sauces for the bread.

For several years I always stated LeBistro was my favorite and was not quite thrilled with Cagney's but I can honestly say that since Cagney's updated their menu I think Cagney's far exceeds LeBistro. It seems the last two times we have eaten it just no longer seemed as good as it was three and four years ago. So my vote no goes to Cagney's...love the Sea Bass :) The one that I am not impressed with is Moderno it's first year was good then it fell down hill fast in the meat quality :(

I know this is going slightly off topic but I completely agree. Moderno was fantastic the first time we did it. The last 3 times was not good so we skipped it last trip. I think the choices in le bistro are great and I struggle to decide what to have. So pleased we get 2 free diners for two being platinum

I agree with Tiger and Laffnvegas! Changes has affected the quality. Le Bistro dropped to second place, and Moderno def changed cuts of meat. No more lollipop pop lamb chops, but a much cheaper cut. Also, on my May BA trip, they couldn't get the meats cooked fast enough!

In my opinion, both were quite good. My ribeye at Cagney's was superb and done to perfection, so I might lean to Cagney's. As a side note don't discount Teppanyaki, as I thought the food was great as well as the chef's show. Very entertaining!!

We've only been to Le Bistro but DH and I both love it there. We sail in 4 weeks from tomorrow and we are eating at Le Bistro once again as our date night, and at Cagney's with the whole family for the first time ever! Then I will be able to make a comparison. Looking forward to both though! :)

When we went to Cagneys they had an amaing salad bar where everything eas fresh and scrumptious .we had a special order of seared tuna .......made by the executive chef it was the very best ..ever

Deelicious food. Ambianceand service

Does ?cagney still ofer the salad bar ...not to be missed

None of the Cagney's I've been to have had salad bars, but I wish they did...nothing better than a good salad bar.

Both were very good, but for us Le Bistro has the edge. The mushroom soup and chateaubriand that we had ticked all the boxes for us.

We haven't sailed with NCL for a few years, but we're thinking of returning to them next year to see what has changed!

We used to love both equally, however, as others have stated, Le Bistro has gone down some in both food quality and service. The lobster dish is now, well, a joke. I'm not much of a lamb eater so can't comment there. Cagney's takes the edge now because we have always seemed to have really good service. Steaks have always been cooked properly to order and I agree on the sides, really good!

As for Moderno, don't even get me started. Unfortunately, we have never had a good experience there. Somehow, we have always managed to reserve when there is a large group and the larger tables always seem to monopolize the gauchos and the meat. Last time, on the Epic, we were offered one of the sausages and the chicken legs. That was it for almost two hours. We even talked with the maitre'd yet no beef or chicken breast ever made it to our table. We finally left rather hungry. (Sorry to get off topic there.)

Le Bistro by far. The steak is just as good if not better and the variety of other options is far better. I have consistently had better meals at Le Bistro then at Cagney's (same goes for service). BTW, I had the Entrecote for two on my own last time at no surcharge. I had UDP. Not sure if they were suppose to do that but they did anyway. As always, it was exceptional...... but man is that a lot of meat. I skipped desert. BTW coffee at Le Bistro is French Press: hands down the best coffee on board with the exception of the Lavazza coffee you pay for at the Main Bar.

Same as on land, any restaurant can have an off day. Nothing worse than going to a great place and it being that day the relief staff is on duty in the kitchen. This doesn't tend to happen on ships BUT they rotate the staff (at least the floor staff) When I was onboard the Getaway in May, I had Adrian from Romania as the Maitre D in Le Bistro. He was exceptional. The Maitre D in Cagneys didn't bother to come see us when my wife had an allergic reaction in Cagney's earlier in the week and then called the next day to say she must have eaten something else that wasn't from his restaurant. He argued with her. Just goes to show. That being said, Adrian told us he would likely be in another specialty restaurant next August when we back to back on Getaway again. We'll see who we draw! You're only as good as your staff. Same thing on a ship. It all depends on which staff are assigned to your restaurant. Years ago when we sailed Princess, the head Chef would come to greet us and discuss the meal and make sure everything was correct and proper for our next meal. The head chef for the ship.... now that was service.

I like them both but Cagneys wins out. Nothing like a steak with all those delicious sides (my favorite part... mushrooms, potatoes, onion rings). I like the appetizers at Le Bistro more than the entrees but can easily make a meal of soup, salad, and escargot!

We have the Ultimate Dining Package for our upcoming trip. I went through and made all my reservations a couple months ago. I looked at my reservations yesterday, and I never ended up booking Le Bistro! I have 3 nights at Cagney's, 2 at Moderno, and 1 at La Cucina and Tepenakki.

I can't believe I messed that up!!

We went to Le Bistro last year on the Dawn. It was the best meal and service of the week. The only reason we went there was because the service and food was so lousy at the main dining rooms. I hope we can change our reservations when we go next month!

I like them both but Cagneys wins out. Nothing like a steak with all those delicious sides (my favorite part... mushrooms, potatoes, onion rings). I like the appetizers at Le Bistro more than the entrees but can easily make a meal of soup, salad, and escargot!

Appetizers and that great soup at Le Bistro....mmmmm!!!

We have the Ultimate Dining Package for our upcoming trip. I went through and made all my reservations a couple months ago. I looked at my reservations yesterday, and I never ended up booking Le Bistro! I have 3 nights at Cagney's, 2 at Moderno, and 1 at La Cucina and Tepenakki.

We went to Le Bistro last year on the Dawn. It was the best meal and service of the week. The only reason we went there was because the service and food was so lousy at the main dining rooms. I hope we can change our reservations when we go next month!

Is Le Bistro not available for one of your nights to book online?

Nice to see you here, from our roll call! :)

You can change it, cancel one and rebook or just switch when you get onboard or call ncl and they will do it

• 1 year later...

I think I'm just a steak snob since use to eating at the best steak restaurants in Florida all serving USDA prime beef. The steaks at Cagneys to me are really nothing special at all. In my opinion the steaks sold at my grocery store are better. I always enjoy Le Bistro. I agree the lamb is great. I just never leave Le Bistro truly full. The lamb I wish was twice the size and I'm known as a very small eater.