Are Moka Pots Allowed on the Ship?

wordsjustfly

Hey there -

Before we know it we will be setting sail for the Caribbean and we can't wait! We ran into super bad coffee the last cruise to Alaska -- and my research tells me that the coffee on most ships is not so great.

Do any of you expert cruisers know if it's against the rules to pack an electric moka pot? This way I can bring my own ground coffee and make a decent morning cup of espresso.

Thanks ahead of time:)

Hey there -

Before we know it we will be setting sail for the Caribbean and we can't wait! We ran into super bad coffee the last cruise to Alaska -- and my research tells me that the coffee on most ships is not so great.

Do any of you expert cruisers know if it's against the rules to pack an electric moka pot? This way I can bring my own ground coffee and make a decent morning cup of espresso.

Thanks ahead of time:)

Nothing with a heating element, with the exception of ladies' hair care appliances, is allowed.

Depending on the cabin (read: suites) there is a lavazza in room that is not half bad.

Otherwise go to the atrium as the coffee bar should help you out also with lavazza.

But yes, it will not be like at home especially for people with high coffee requirements...

Coffee served in the buffet is meh. I've had worse industrial coffee. Lavazza is decent. Mind you, I only ordered an Americano, but it was drinkable. I'd assume the rest of it is fine too. I never found the coffee bar crowded but each cup is individually brewed and takes a while.

Edited by BamaVol

For the 4 cup coffee makers in the balcony and minis, I bring my own coffee and filters. That helps.

Do they have the four cup basket type you can use with regular coffee? I keep hearing how bad the coffee is but I never know what the person who posts likes. It is too strong? Too weak or just junky tasting?

Yup! I use that in the standard office coffee when I'm too busy (or lazy) to walk down to our grinder brewer machine (it looks like Darth Vader in the corner of our employee lounge). Via is good stuff. Thanks for the reminder. Much easier than bringing coffee and filters.

Do they have the four cup basket type you can use with regular coffee? I keep hearing how bad the coffee is but I never know what the person who posts likes. It is too strong? Too weak or just junky tasting?

I'm a coffee addict. I think the coffee is ok, not great, but drinkable. The supplied little packets for the cabins are just like an inexpensive brand you find in hotel rooms. That's why I bring my own. However, coffee in the buffet and the other self serve areas is, again, ok. I drink it. Coffee in the MDR is usually pretty good. The specialty restaurants' coffee is usually pressed and I thought always very good. So, it varies and each person has an opinion. On the Jewel class ships, there is a rich grind espresso machine, usually just in the back of the buffet area as you head out. I get a shot of that usually once a day. Also, there is a coffee cafe that sells coffee and I consider very similar to Starbucks stuff....and similar prices.

We brought Maxwell House singles in case the coffee was horrid. They're not ideal, but tolerable for travel. We found that room service coffee wasn't bad. We mostly just drank coffee with breakfast in the dining room.

Edited by WoodsDrive