Liberty Passes The Statue of Liberty??

I've heard of at least 2 Celebrity Summit sailings from Bayonne that that sailed north past the Statue of Liberty, doing a 180, then turning south & sailing under the VN bridge in the past few weeks.

We are on LOS July 16 sailing, & would love it if she did the same. Have any recent LOS passengers experienced this?

Bayonne, although further than Manhattan from our home, is so much easier to get to for us, but we miss sailing past the Statue, & would love to do this on our upcoming sailing.

It would be great experience for all who sail out of Bayonne, to sail past the Statue on their way out of New York Harbor; it's just breathtaking!

...It would be great experience for all who sail out of Bayonne, to sail past the Statue on their way out of New York Harbor; it's just breathtaking!

I agree, it would be a spectacular sight, but I doubt it will happen. Bayonne is south of the statue and they would have to go out of their way to pass the statue. It did not happen on our two Explorer cruises out of Bayonne.

I know they did this a few times with the Quantum, but not sure about Liberty.

On May 16, I took a drive up to Cape Liberty to watch the Liberty depart, and she did not sail past the statue. But here's a link to the pictures I took of her departure if you're interested: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2210054

I agree though, it would be great if they would add this to the departure.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I agree, it would be a spectacular sight, but I doubt it will happen. Bayonne is south of the statue and they would have to go out of their way to pass the statue. It did not happen on our two Explorer cruises out of Bayonne.

At least you get a spectacular view when booking Liberty through the RCCL website. Below is the image they display. :D

IMO, it's deliberately misleading. :cool:

port-BYE-mustsee1.jpg

We have sailed out of Bayonne a number of times,& realize that the best view of the Statue is with a powerful zoom lens, but have also sailed out of the West side, & sailing down the Hudson, & past the Statue, is the highlight, along with sailing under the bridge. It's just that I heard on the Celebrity boards that Summit the past 2 sailings, has turned north to sail past the Statue, did a 170, & sailed back south out to sea. I just thought that, if time allows, Liberty might do the same; I guess not, & that's too bad.

George, I hear ya about NJ, but she is our "kissin' cousin", & we have to put up with her, LOL! Just kidding! Also, NJ has our Giants & Jets, so we have to be nice to her!:D

Edited by richsea

We have sailed out of Bayonne a number of times,& realize that the best view of the Statue is with a powerful zoom lens, but have also sailed out of the West side, & sailing down the Hudson, & past the Statue, Is the highlight, along with sailing under the bridge. It's just that I heard on the Elevrity boards that Summit the past 2 sailors, has turned north to sail past the Statue, did a 170, & sailed back south out to sea. I just thought that, if time allows, Liberty might do the same; I guess not, & that's too bad.

George, I hear ha about NJ, but she is our "kissin' cousin", & we have to put up with her, LOL! Just kidding! Also, NJ has our Giants & Jets, so we have to be nice to her!:D

I'm surprised that a local would care about the Statue at sailaway.

And here I was thinking all New Yorkers were jaded. :p

Here's the one I was thinking of.

That's interesting, a Radiance class ship. I wonder when that was? I know that Royal sometimes ends the first TA after the ship leaves the shipyard in New York for publicity reasons.

That's interesting, a Radiance class ship. I wonder when that was? I know that Royal sometimes ends the first TA after the ship leaves the shipyard in New York for publicity reasons.

Serenade's Westbound TA from Copenhagen is ending in Cape Liberty this year, and then she will do a few one-way Canada/NE cruises between Quebec and Cape Liberty. I'm not sure how long Royal has done that itinerary (they're dropping it after this year), but maybe that's where that photo came from. :cool: