Head's up, HAL: Luminae is excellent!

scamper

I've cruised Celebrity several times..in suites and found that the butler just gets in the way. That's one thing I like about HAL...no butler.

I've heard this from other Celebrity cruisers too and was somewhat apprehensive about having a butler. We have found ours to be very helpful and accommodating. He has taken care of everything that the Neptune Lounge concierge did for us. Maybe we just got lucky with our butler on this cruise; if so, I'm glad we got lucky.

As others have said before, having choices when cruising is wonderful. What bothers one cruiser is a delight to a different cruiser. These boards are very helpful in providing all views to new and experienced cruisers.

I've not been in a suite since the addition of the Pinnacle Grill on the ship, so I have no first hand knowledge as to whether the Pinnacle Grill has "better food" at breakfast. Truthfully I find it hard to believe there is "better food" at breakfast -- most breakfast foods are standard, i.e. I doubt the fresh cooked waffles or fried eggs are significantly better in the Pinnacle Grill than they are in either the Main Dining Room or the Lido. There is just not that much you can do to make those kinds of things "better." I can get fresh squeezed orange juice, freshly made waffles, and cooked to order eggs in the Lido as well.

That makes the contention that the food is better at breakfast a moot point. There must be something that makes breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill a "perk" and if it's not the food it has to be either the service or the ambiance. And as service is (probably) not significantly better than in the main dining room at breakfast, it has to be ambiance, and that ambiance is only achieved by it being a small, exclusive room.

Therefore the interpretation of the reason for the better-ness of the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast is all about it being exclusive. The people that rave about it can try to explain it in any way they want, but it still comes down to the rather obvious implication that it's all about being more special than everyone else.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm reminded of when my kids were little, and occasionally when I was handing out treats to the gang of kids they had over, I'd run out of whatever it was (which usually meant that someone snuck one). The solution was always to grab something that was similar, and say to the last one, "This one is special, just for you!" They'd walk away ecstatic almost every time.

Yeah, it's about being told you're special :rolleyes:. It sounds a whole lot like sour grapes to me. The food in the pinnacle in the morning is generally better and the service is usually better. When eating in the MDR you practically have to beg for coffee refills. In the pinnacle you do not. I know someone is going to say they've never had any problems getting refills.

Yeah, it's about being told you're special :rolleyes:. It sounds a whole lot like sour grapes to me. The food in the pinnacle in the morning is generally better and the service is usually better. When eating in the MDR you practically have to beg for coffee refills. In the pinnacle you do not. I know someone is going to say they've never had any problems getting refills.

Better how? How do you make a fried egg better? Honestly. I am confused here. Most breakfast foods are much of muchness -- is the batter different than in the main dining room/Lido/room service? Like I said, I have not been in a suite since the Pinnacle Grills were added to the ships so I have never experienced the "perk." Having had breakfast all over world, I can tell you there is very little difference in most basic breakfast foods. I find it hard to believe they are significantly better in the Pinnacle Grill.

There's a thread around here where someone asked if you can get breakfast room service from the Pinnacle, and the "in the know" people replied that it was the same menu as in the MDR, so just use that.

Studies have shown that people perceive food as better if they perceive the environment as special. Wine served in crystal gets better marks than wine served in a plastic cup (same wine). Food served on china is perceived as being more costly/better than if the same food is served on paper plates.

If the service or the food is better, then sure, that's a perk. But the issue here is that there is something extra special that goes with restaurants being exclusive to suite guests, even if the food and service are the same, whether that be the Pinnacle at breakfast or the Luminae. I don't think it is sour grapes to ask just what that extra special something is.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm reminded of when my kids were little, and occasionally when I was handing out treats to the gang of kids they had over, I'd run out of whatever it was (which usually meant that someone snuck one). The solution was always to grab something that was similar, and say to the last one, "This one is special, just for you!" They'd walk away ecstatic almost every time.

No, that's not the point. "It" is whatever that results from the restaurant being made exclusive to suite guests. Having a smaller venue, better food, better service doesn't require exclusivity. The Pinnacle is a smaller venue with better food and better service, but it isn't exclusive. Perhaps it is the ambiance, but that mean that non-suite passengers degrade the ambiance somehow, which leads us back to the perk being "not having to eat with the riff-raff". Except that supposedly that's not it either.

Over the years, I've read a lot of posts from people on these boards who obviously have sour grapes, are insecure, jealous - whatever you want to call it, but you really seem to be taking the cake on this particular issue. What is it about suite perks you don't get, or have such an insecurity about?

About breakfast in Pinnacle, yes, it is the exact same food as in the MDR. The difference is, you're not rushed, the service is more friendly and personal, you don't have to wave someone down for coffee or water refills, it's more comfortable, more relaxed, quieter, and you don't have to endure the chaos of the MDR or the buffet. So yes, it certainly is a "perk" to be able to use Pinnacle to eat breakfast.

From your posts, it's obvious you've never had this perk, nor have you had the perk of Luminae on Celebrity. If it's a perk that doesn't interest you, then just say it and be done with it. But for you to go on and on flaming something you have never even tried is downright obtuse, as someone else put it.

A fine good morning sailors:

My post is a bit of reflection on the past versus today.

This discussion reflects the evolution of the leisure industry in the past generation; no longer one product for all. Today, every hotel, airline, cruise line etc offers product differentiation based on willingness to pay. This is not about $ = social class as was the case in previous history. It is about "willingness to pay". It also reflects the creativity of capitalism to update and change based on social changes; like developing the initial cruise industry in the 1970's to respond to the newly emerged middle class's desire to travel combined with the freedom provided by the modern jet aircraft.

NCL was the innovator in leading the development of modern cruise ships which were based on the one product for all. The only difference between passengers was the location and size of the cabin. NCL and others were highly vocal against the French and Cunard lines because of their "class" system (physical separation of passengers and different service levels and dining) - NCL and their friends were jubilant when the S.S. France was taken out of service noting how evil and inhumane these shipping lines were in their discrimination against people. The cruise industry has always bellowed against Cunard as the remaining example of the bad class system. The early cruise industry set themselves as the pillar of democracy - the leveler of people. It used to be.

Fast forward to 2015 in the cruise industry. The cruise industry is now a hypocrite. The cruise lines have recreated the French Line and Cunard "class" structure (physical separation of passengers and different levels of service and dining) and gone well beyond it.

What I see is that the only element missing from the cruise industry today vs the French and Cunard line of the past is the "social" class separation which was prevalent in the past - rather it is now a "monetary" class segmentation.

I posted earlier about my comparison of my recent Celebrity and Cunard sailings. As a previous poster noted, the monetary "class" impact on the Solstice and Infinity was far more pronounced than anything on the 2x sailings of the QM2.

What I see is the cruise and airline industries, in particular, taking physical space and resources AWAY from the basic product and diverting to the higher end - not keeping the past standards and ADDING more to service the suite product This has reduced the experience at the basic balcony level on ships while at the same time the cruise lines are raising prices for less product.

All I can say is that capitalism relies on us to be "obedient consumers". The cruise lines appear to think we will continue to book cruises regardless of price and loss of value.

Anyways, I thank you for allowing me to reflect. For me cruising is most certainly less appealing than even a few years ago. For the first time I have no cruise booked and none anticipated.

Nothing ever stays the same in life.

In the end we are all blessed to have the ability to book an inside, balcony or suite - for most people in our world can not

Happy sailing to all

ABoatNerd

About breakfast in Pinnacle, yes, it is the exact same food as in the MDR. The difference is, you're not rushed, the service is more friendly and personal, you don't have to wave someone down for coffee or water refills, it's more comfortable, more relaxed, quieter, and you don't have to endure the chaos of the MDR or the buffet. So yes, it certainly is a "perk" to be able to use Pinnacle to eat breakfast.

Quite well said!

It is the difference between having a quiet breakfast with your spouse (or significant other), gazing out the window, and being pampered by what (quite often) is your own waiter/helper team, getting hot food, and having coffee refilled often versus having breakfast with 2 or 3 hundred people, getting cold food, and HOPING to get a second cup before the meal is over.

We have found this to be a benefit of Pinnacle breakfast and we found the same benefit in Luminae at each meal. And yes, to us, worth the added cost.

To each, their own.

Cheers!

Better how? How do you make a fried egg better? Honestly. I am confused here. Most breakfast foods are much of muchness -- is the batter different than in the main dining room/Lido/room service? Like I said, I have not been in a suite since the Pinnacle Grills were added to the ships so I have never experienced the "perk." Having had breakfast all over world, I can tell you there is very little difference in most basic breakfast foods. I find it hard to believe they are significantly better in the Pinnacle Grill.

The food is generally hot and they learn your preferences quickly.. It's not about better tasting food. Sorry that you are struggling so much with this.

There's a thread around here where someone asked if you can get breakfast room service from the Pinnacle, and the "in the know" people replied that it was the same menu as in the MDR, so just use that.

Studies have shown that people perceive food as better if they perceive the environment as special. Wine served in crystal gets better marks than wine served in a plastic cup (same wine). Food served on china is perceived as being more costly/better than if the same food is served on paper plates.

If the service or the food is better, then sure, that's a perk. But the issue here is that there is something extra special that goes with restaurants being exclusive to suite guests, even if the food and service are the same, whether that be the Pinnacle at breakfast or the Luminae. I don't think it is sour grapes to ask just what that extra special something is.

The sour grapes is not about asking about the food. The sour grapes is about treating adults like they are children pretending that something is soecial. I find it really odd to do that to anyone.

I've had the privilege of eating breakfast in the Pinnacle, and yes, the menu is the same, but the experience is far superior to the MDR or heaven forbid, the Lido :eek:. I leave the Pinnacle feeling relaxed, whereas I leave the Lido feeling frustrated and frazzled. As was already pointed out, the waiters in the Pinnacle are able to give more personal service, and the food arrives hot. To me, breakfast in the Pinnacle is the best perk of a Neptune Suite, followed by the Neptune Lounge.

Roz

Over the years, I've read a lot of posts from people on these boards who obviously have sour grapes, are insecure, jealous - whatever you want to call it, but you really seem to be taking the cake on this particular issue. What is it about suite perks you don't get, or have such an insecurity about?

I'm not insecure, or jealous, or experiencing sour grapes. I'm fully well capable of affording a suite should I want one, so it's not a matter of running down something I can't have. I fully understand perks like free laundry, expedited boarding, etc. Zero issues with that, power to the suite! My issue is with the claim that some things are perks *because* they are reserved for suite passengers only, like Luminae. I don't understand what makes Luminae better because it is for suite passengers only than if it were open to everyone (certainly with a surcharge for non-suite passengers who haven't paid the extra expense). That if it were open and not exclusive then somehow it would be diminished.

Well, there you see, there is a difference other than "only for suite passengers". How would you feel about opening it to everybody and putting a $5 surcharge on for non-suite guests? What value would you place on the better experience so that non-suite guests pay fairly for it? Are you allowed to invite non-suite guests for breakfast? And I keep being told the MDR is not only not crowded at breakfast, it's very sparsely populated. I guess we'll see.

From your posts, it's obvious you've never had this perk, nor have you had the perk of Luminae on Celebrity. If it's a perk that doesn't interest you, then just say it and be done with it. But for you to go on and on flaming something you have never even tried is downright obtuse, as someone else put it.

Nope, I haven't, but I've been on both sides of comparable "exclusive" perks before, and I would never pay extra for something just because someone else can't have it. But an awful lot of people do, and while they don't literally say, "Nanny nanny boo boo, you can't have it," I hear a lot of stuff like, "Well, I'll never run into the NASCAR crowd here," or "It's nice that everybody in here is pretty much on the same level, it's kind of awkward when you realize you've been talking to a Kroger's cashier and have absolutely nothing in common with them." I'm not "flaming" Luminae itself, or breakfast at the Pinnacle, but the idea that exclusivity itself creates something desirable and worth paying a lot more money. Nice restaurant great, but the idea that it's even better if only suite passengers can use it?

A fine good morning sailors:

My post is a bit of reflection on the past versus today.

This discussion reflects the evolution of the leisure industry in the past generation; no longer one product for all. Today, every hotel, airline, cruise line etc offers product differentiation based on willingness to pay. This is not about $ = social class as was the case in previous history. It is about "willingness to pay". It also reflects the creativity of capitalism to update and change based on social changes; like developing the initial cruise industry in the 1970's to respond to the newly emerged middle class's desire to travel combined with the freedom provided by the modern jet aircraft.

NCL was the innovator in leading the development of modern cruise ships which were based on the one product for all. The only difference between passengers was the location and size of the cabin. NCL and others were highly vocal against the French and Cunard lines because of their "class" system (physical separation of passengers and different service levels and dining) - NCL and their friends were jubilant when the S.S. France was taken out of service noting how evil and inhumane these shipping lines were in their discrimination against people. The cruise industry has always bellowed against Cunard as the remaining example of the bad class system. The early cruise industry set themselves as the pillar of democracy - the leveler of people. It used to be.

Fast forward to 2015 in the cruise industry. The cruise industry is now a hypocrite. The cruise lines have recreated the French Line and Cunard "class" structure (physical separation of passengers and different levels of service and dining) and gone well beyond it.

What I see is that the only element missing from the cruise industry today vs the French and Cunard line of the past is the "social" class separation which was prevalent in the past - rather it is now a "monetary" class segmentation.

I posted earlier about my comparison of my recent Celebrity and Cunard sailings. As a previous poster noted, the monetary "class" impact on the Solstice and Infinity was far more pronounced than anything on the 2x sailings of the QM2.

What I see is the cruise and airline industries, in particular, taking physical space and resources AWAY from the basic product and diverting to the higher end - not keeping the past standards and ADDING more to service the suite product This has reduced the experience at the basic balcony level on ships while at the same time the cruise lines are raising prices for less product.

All I can say is that capitalism relies on us to be "obedient consumers". The cruise lines appear to think we will continue to book cruises regardless of price and loss of value.

Anyways, I thank you for allowing me to reflect. For me cruising is most certainly less appealing than even a few years ago. For the first time I have no cruise booked and none anticipated.

Nothing ever stays the same in life.

In the end we are all blessed to have the ability to book an inside, balcony or suite - for most people in our world can not

Happy sailing to all

ABoatNerd

Thank you for expressing this so well.

For better or worse, I've been cruising since nearly the beginning of the "leisure cruise" market. Perhaps I was sold an idea that no longer has validity, but back then, people did not want to feel that there was a class system on board ship -- the "message" of these new ships aimed at the supposedly egalitarian American market was that everyone could enjoy the same amenities and have the same experience onboard once you step outside your cabin door. Extra money was paid for extra space (back then, balconies were only available for suites), and that's all.

I don't think it's sour grapes to prefer that model to the current one. It's no one's business, but I take several annual vacations (as a solo) that amount to a significant chunk of change. I could afford a suite if that's where I wanted to spend my $$$. But I don't see the value -- for me.

You are very right that "monetary" class has replaced "social" class. Still a class system, but I guess we are okay with it, as capitalists. :rolleyes: (In reality, wasn't social class largely based on money?)

Nope, I haven't, but I've been on both sides of comparable "exclusive" perks before, and I would never pay extra for something just because someone else can't have it. But an awful lot of people do, and while they don't literally say, "Nanny nanny boo boo, you can't have it," I hear a lot of stuff like, "Well, I'll never run into the NASCAR crowd here," or "It's nice that everybody in here is pretty much on the same level, it's kind of awkward when you realize you've been talking to a Kroger's cashier and have absolutely nothing in common with them." I'm not "flaming" Luminae itself, or breakfast at the Pinnacle, but the idea that exclusivity itself creates something desirable and worth paying a lot more money. Nice restaurant great, but the idea that it's even better if only suite passengers can use it?

Your focus on all of this is very bizarre. Do you really think all the suite guests pay the money they do just for these perks - just so, as you put it, they can say "nanny nanny boo boo" to everyone else? If so, you are very, very mistaken, and that's exactly my point toward insecurity. I used to run a very large travel firm in Miami, so my experience with passenger bookings in insurmountable. Yes, there may be a very minuscule minority whose priority are those perks and yes, I know those people exist on Cruise Critic, but the very vast majority of people who book suites do so for the suites. All this other stuff are just added bonuses - nice touches, if you will.

Suite passengers may not invite non-suite guests to breakfast in the Pinnacle, and no, I would not like to see it opened up to everyone for $5. This said as someone who's next cabin is one of the single staterooms on Koningsdam.

Roz

Your focus on all of this is very bizarre. Do you really think all the suite guests pay the money they do just for these perks - just so, as you put it, they can say "nanny nanny boo boo" to everyone else? If so, you are very, very mistaken, and that's exactly my point toward insecurity. I used to run a very large travel firm in Miami, so my experience with passenger bookings in insurmountable. Yes, there may be a very minuscule minority whose priority are those perks and yes, I know those people exist on Cruise Critic, but the very vast majority of people who book suites do so for the suites. All this other stuff are just added bonuses - nice touches, if you will.

Nowhere did I say that, geez, I've said I'd probably like to sail in a suite, the perks sound very nice. I was responding to the sentiment in the OP, which lauded the Luminae as being just as good as the Pinnacle, and because it is suite-only, they are now looking at Celebrity first. And that HAL had better quickly respond (with their own suite-only restaurant, presumably). Everything about HAL and Celebrity are on par, but having a suite-only restaurant now makes Celebrity somehow better.

Now, I've looked at suite perks, and many of them look mighty fine, things I would pay extra for, but I surely wouldn't pay extra because a restaurant that was just as good as someone else's restaurant was exclusive. The suite passengers will have to bear the entire cost of operating the restaurant because revenue from non-suite passengers will be limited to occasional guests of suite passengers. I'll be curious to see if the finances work out, but Celebrity is a mass market line aiming at the broad middle of the market, and even in cities of hundreds of thousands or millions, exclusive establishments are a small percentage of the total and largely aimed at a market with a lot more money than Celebrity's niche. Maybe there are more "nanny nanny boo boo" types out there than I would expect.

Nowhere did I say that, geez, I've said I'd probably like to sail in a suite, the perks sound very nice. I was responding to the sentiment in the OP, which lauded the Luminae as being just as good as the Pinnacle, and because it is suite-only, they are now looking at Celebrity first. And that HAL had better quickly respond (with their own suite-only restaurant, presumably). Everything about HAL and Celebrity are on par, but having a suite-only restaurant now makes Celebrity somehow better.

Now, I've looked at suite perks, and many of them look mighty fine, things I would pay extra for, but I surely wouldn't pay extra because a restaurant that was just as good as someone else's restaurant was exclusive. The suite passengers will have to bear the entire cost of operating the restaurant because revenue from non-suite passengers will be limited to occasional guests of suite passengers. I'll be curious to see if the finances work out, but Celebrity is a mass market line aiming at the broad middle of the market, and even in cities of hundreds of thousands or millions, exclusive establishments are a small percentage of the total and largely aimed at a market with a lot more money than Celebrity's niche. Maybe there are more "nanny nanny boo boo" types out there than I would expect.

I think the point is, that Luminae is better than other restaurants (on X), not "just as good". This link is to the Specialty Restaurant Murano which is $50pp and it is fabulous but the reports coming in are that Luminae is better!! http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-murano

The food is generally hot and they learn your preferences quickly.. It's not about better tasting food. Sorry that you are struggling so much with this.

So it's better because it's smaller and exclusive.

Like I said, defenders can use lots of other words, but what all boils down to is that the Pinnacle Grill breakfast is better because it's exclusive.

So it's better because it's smaller and exclusive.

Like I said, defenders can use lots of other words, but what all boils down to is that the Pinnacle Grill breakfast is better because it's exclusive.

No, that's not it at all. It's better because it's a smaller venue. I don't want anyone to get bent because they feel they are being left out and having fun poked at them:rolleyes:. It's not often that I enjoy this type of cabin and I'm ok because I didn't pay for it. That's the grown up attitude.

Okay, we'll use your word. But it would be better if it were exclusive to left-handed passengers or those who watch Deadliest Catch or those who drive Mazdas. The membership of the small(ish) group doesn't matter.

When I travel in a suite on HAL (which is about 25% of the time), I don't have breakfast in the Pinnacle to rub elbows with other suite people. I have it there because it's easier to get a table for two, I can get a cup of tea before I am finished with my meal, and my DH can get his chocolate croissant rather than a shrug when the muffin man has run out of them.

When we are on RCI, we have a continental breakfast in the Diamond Club lounge.

We do not do it because it is exclusive (really not that exclusive). We do it because it is quiet and relaxing. And because I can have my three double caps in the morning, some fruit, cheese, and croissant. It is serve yourself.

Granted, if we went to the MDR we could have a hot breakfast. We simply prefer a quiet environment vs. the clanking and banging of the MDR or buffet.

We are not special, just staying in a regular non suite cabin.

Exclusivity has ZERO to do with it.

Edited by iancal

I fully understand perks like free laundry, expedited boarding, etc. Zero issues with that, power to the suite! My issue is with the claim that some things are perks *because* they are reserved for suite passengers only

I have tried to explain this to you in numerous ways but the only few people that continue to state that the exclusivity is what makes it a "perk" seems to be you. You have already pointed out numerous items that you have no interest/problem with that are indeed suite perks, but continue to harp on Luminae. Here are items that you continue to say are not issues to you from previous posts even though they are exclusive "suite perks" that cannot be individually purchased.

On HAL:

- Pinnacle Grill exclusive to suite guests for breakfast (You seem to be ok with it even though it's exclusive as the food is the same as the MDR. The exclusivity somehow does not bother you)

- Priority embarkation (exclusive to suite and high mariner's society. Again not an issue for you)

- Neptune suite is exclusive to suite passenger (Something you have dismissed as a windowless room with the same food you can get at other venues).

- Priority tender/disembarkation (Cannot purchase as an individual perk)

From your posts, it seems like you have never sailed on HAL or Celebrity. You just can't purchase these above perks separately. Sorry! I also think you'll see once you do book a room that there is a significant bump in price for a suite. Since you don't appreciate many of these items, I really don't see why you are so interested in this topic.

Well, there you see, there is a difference other than "only for suite passengers". How would you feel about opening it to everybody and putting a $5 surcharge on for non-suite guests? What value would you place on the better experience so that non-suite guests pay fairly for it?

If a guest of suite passengers are charged $50 per person,what do you think they would charge for non-suite guests who had not paid the premium price for their cabin? I will repeat what I stated before that Luminae is a small venue that is designed to accommodate the number of suite passengers. If you are looking for high end dining, Murano is available.

I just don't get how anyone finds any difference in a suite perk to purchasing a interior stateroom and expecting a oceanview balcony. Everyone can have a oceanview balcony, it just costs $$ to obtain it. There's nothing exclusive about that.

I do find the comments like the OP should never cruise HAL unfortunate when she simply expressed her experience on both lines.

I am always happy for a poster on CC who is excited as they received a great deal on an upsell offer to a suite. Everyone has their way of cruising, we splurge on a more premium cabin as we are both not retired, finding the time to get away is very difficult, and allocate funds to make this our once a year big vacation. Others have more free time and are able to cruise more and get balcony/interior rooms. I don't look down on their choices and in reality jealous, and certainly don't feel like I should be judged on mine.

Edited by absolutboy20

This thread is getting a little out of hand, let's face it everyone has different opinions and from that diversity is the spice of life.

I've sailed on HAL and enjoyed it, sailed once in a suite with an upsell - loved the space, none of the perks were of interest except the Unlimited Laundry and even that I don't object paying for when staying in a standard balcony room.

Sailed on Celebrity, loved the Century, was not over keen on the Solstice. I noticed and was mildly annoyed by a 'class' difference - but that was me. I pointed it out in a previous post because if I noticed it some other people may notice as well, some might not.

Some people sail in a suite for the room and don't care about the perks, some people love their perks and feel it is fair recompense for the higher cost they paid. Some people stay in insides, don't drink alcohol and don't dine in speciality restaurants, by choice not necessarily by budget. The common denominator is that we all enjoy cruising.

I am sure each cruise line looks at what the other is doing and assesses the outcomes. If Luminae turns out to be the 'bee's knees' and attracts oodles of suit passengers, I am sure the other lines will come up with something similar but different. Then that will start another debate :D

I have tried to explain this to you in numerous ways but the only few people that continue to state that the exclusivity is what makes it a "perk" seems to be you. You have already pointed out numerous items that you have no interest/problem with that are indeed suite perks, but continue to harp on Luminae. Here are items that you continue to say are not issues to you from previous posts even though they are exclusive "suite perks" that cannot be individually purchased.

Ditto right back atcha. People keep thinking they have read stuff in my posts that just aren't there. Go read the post that started it all:

Everything about this venue is on as high par as Pinnacle. ... To me, everything about HAL and Celebrity are on par with one another, but, to me, Luminae will start pushing me in the direction of Celebrity.

So everything is on par *except* that Luminae is suite-only. The OP is claiming that the exclusivity is what makes it a perk, and therefore Celebrity suites are better than HAL suites, because they come with a suite-only restaurant that is just as good as Pinnacle. What I want is for someone to tell me what it is about the exclusivity that makes it a perk. Why does excluding other passengers make it better?

On HAL:

- Pinnacle Grill exclusive to suite guests for breakfast (You seem to be ok with it even though it's exclusive as the food is the same as the MDR. The exclusivity somehow does not bother you)

- Priority embarkation (exclusive to suite and high mariner's society. Again not an issue for you)

- Neptune suite is exclusive to suite passenger (Something you have dismissed as a windowless room with the same food you can get at other venues).

- Priority tender/disembarkation (Cannot purchase as an individual perk)

I don't have an issue with the idea of suite perks! All I want to know is why making a restaurant exclusive makes it better (and therefore a perk)!

Exclusivity doesn't bother me so much as the attitude that simply because something is exclusive, that automatically makes it better. I had originally been under the impression that using the PG for breakfast for suite guests helped alleviate crowding in the MDR (a good thing!), but then I'm told that the MDR is hardly attended at all for breakfast, but somehow it is still noisy, and so many people that it's hard to get service. If the food or service is better in the PG, well, there is the obvious value. I even understand the "small venue" part, as I would prefer to eat in a smaller space rather than a cavernous one (even if it were uncrowded and quiet). I like cozy. Some people like the grand scale of the MDR. To each his own.

Priority embarkation/debarkation, no big deal. Again, I have no problem with the idea of suite perks! We will all get on and off the ship. We all get to use tenders. It's obvious where the value is in getting priority. I've ponied up myself for things like that. I don't see anybody protesting that handicapped passengers also get priority (which I have heard people complain about with regard to priority boarding on airplanes), so this is not even an issue here. The issue is, where is the value in making a restaurant exclusive? Why does the fact that Luminae is suite-only push the OP in the direction of Celebrity? All I've gotten is "you have to experience it to understand." I have experienced exclusive elsewhere, and really, I've never noticed anything about it that makes it better just because it is exclusive. To me anyway. The reasons others have given basically boil down to either they like other people envying them, or they like not having to be around those who are excluded. An exclusive restaurant on a cruise ship is a bit different, in that suite-only membership is a lot more fluid and easier to pay for outright or get upsold/upgraded to than finding a few million to pay for an exclusive club.

Now I have experienced exclusive arrangements that didn't boil down to that. Groups of friends or organizations that will hire private rooms at restaurants or hotels. Nobody ever has a problem volunteering, "Because we get loud sometimes and this way we don't bother the rest of the guests." Or, "We all know each other, and this way we don't have to worry about leaving purses/tablets/laptops laying around and having them walk off." There's no, "you just have to experience it to understand."

I am always happy for a poster on CC who is excited as they received a great deal on an upsell offer to a suite. Everyone has their way of cruising, we splurge on a more premium cabin as we are both not retired, finding the time to get away is very difficult, and allocate funds to make this our once a year big vacation. Others have more free time and are able to cruise more and get balcony/interior rooms. I don't look down on their choices and in reality jealous, and certainly don't feel like I should be judged on mine.

Indeed. I am about to start a thread titled, "In defense of the suite cruiser."

I don't have an issue with the idea of suite perks! All I want to know is why making a restaurant exclusive makes it better (and therefore a perk)!

The value of the "exclusivity" as you and another poster want to keep calling it, has been explained numerous times in his thread by numerous people. You just don't agree, or just don't want to hear the answer. So, why do you keep asking? Let it go already.