Canadian cruisers....I have a question

I've been MIA for a bit, and just started to plan a new cruise. Can anyone confirm if RCCL is only charging in U.S. Dollars now? I used to book in Canadian dollars online, but now I can't seem to get that currency to display.

Thank you!

I've been MIA for a bit, and just started to plan a new cruise. Can anyone confirm if RCCL is only charging in U.S. Dollars now? I used to book in Canadian dollars online, but now I can't seem to get that currency to display.

Thank you!

We are booked on The Allure for April2016,we booked with a travel agent and paid in Canadian dollars,I do not think you will get Canadian prices online.:cool:

This has been an issue since the latest "upgrade" to the website. Even if you log in and select a province instead of a state you get quoted in US$.

Use this address and log in with your userid and you will get Canadian $ pricing. I saved this shortcut from a previous thread.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/?wuc=C...ckToDomain=USA

Also, just FYI - I did a mock booking today in US$ and then did the CDN$ one - CDN is 20% higher than US.

You can change to Canadian pricing by going to the bottom of the home page on the left-hand side and select Canada.

I do not book via the website as I usually call Royal or book while on a cruise. The website at least let's me look at pricing

Edited by cruzincanuck

Thank you!

Not only can you book in CDN$ you can also purchase US$ OBC in CDN$ at only a 10% premium. $500 US will only cost you $550 CDN. Can't get that rate at the bank.:)

Here is the link to the current thread,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570

When we booked our Harmony cruise for next year we priced it out multiple ways(royal Canada, royal usa and a US ta). We found that the best option was to book with the US ta as we got a better rate then the Canadian site and by using a ta we got some obc. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you book it using the direct with the cruise line way is that you can call and get price adjustments if your cruise goes down in price right away. We got a good price on our cruise and felt that it would not go any lower so were not concerned with the need to be able to call and make changes instantly.

Now if they were offering the same exchange rate as what others have bought obc for then we would be booking a few extra trips right now;).

When we booked our Harmony cruise for next year we priced it out multiple ways(royal Canada, royal usa and a US ta). We found that the best option was to book with the US ta as we got a better rate then the Canadian site and by using a ta we got some obc. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you book it using the direct with the cruise line way is that you can call and get price adjustments if your cruise goes down in price right away. We got a good price on our cruise and felt that it would not go any lower so were not concerned with the need to be able to call and make changes instantly.

Now if they were offering the same exchange rate as what others have bought obc for then we would be booking a few extra trips right now;).

You can get the price drop right away by using a TA. I called my TA and was put on hold while she called RCI, and it was Cnd $.

You can get the price drop right away by using a TA. I called my TA and was put on hold while she called RCI, and it was Cnd $.

The rep we booked though has normal office hours but I would imagine the agency itself is open 24/7. I probably won't get to call in for the harmony cruise as we booked it when it was really reduced(thank you other cc posters:)). We intend on booking any other cruises this way in the future as it worked very well compared to our last cruise a year ago when we ended up in a mess because a royal rep was not well informed on their own policies.

it seems to depend. I wanted to book my last cruise in USD(as the CAD rate on the site was almost double!!), but would not let me using a Canadian CC and address.

So I called and they still couldn't do it for me. So I hung up and got someone else who was able to charge my CAD MasterCard in USD for the trip.

One advantage as well to this is that its only about a 10% exchange rate to buy OBC if you booked in USD, or at least the last time I checked. Much better than the almost 30% the banks are changing here in Canada right now for USD.

it seems to depend. I wanted to book my last cruise in USD(as the CAD rate on the site was almost double!!), but would not let me using a Canadian CC and address.

So I called and they still couldn't do it for me. So I hung up and got someone else who was able to charge my CAD MasterCard in USD for the trip.

One advantage as well to this is that its only about a 10% exchange rate to buy OBC if you booked in USD, or at least the last time I checked. Much better than the almost 30% the banks are changing here in Canada right now for USD.

That's strange, I've had no problems booking in US$ on Royals website most recently 2 months ago using both a CDN CC and a CDN address. I was able to get my mom a cabin on her serenade cruise for $610 US while the CDN site had it listed as over $1500 CDN. Even with the horrible exchange rate it was a great deal.

I was under the impression that if you booked your cruise in US$ that you could not purchase the OBC at the 10% exchange rate.

Well it happened with my Majesty cruise booking. Spent over an hour on the phone, talked to 3 different people....tried to book it online at work and at home and tired 2 difference Canadian credit cards...so yes, there were some issues!

There are threads here about people buying the USD OBC up to $500 at a time and paying a 10% rate charged by RCI. I haven't tried yet to buy any for my next cruise.

Well it happened with my Majesty cruise booking. Spent over an hour on the phone, talked to 3 different people....tried to book it online at work and at home and tired 2 difference Canadian credit cards...so yes, there were some issues!

There are threads here about people buying the USD OBC up to $500 at a time and paying a 10% rate charged by RCI. I haven't tried yet to buy any for my next cruise.

Yes I am aware of that thread and purchasing the US $ OBC is only available for those that have their cruises booked in CDN$. There were a few unhappy people who had their cruises booked in US$ who were not able to take advantage of the deal.

Yes I am aware of that thread and purchasing the US $ OBC is only available for those that have their cruises booked in CDN$.

This is 100% correct :p ... the cruise must be booked in Canadian funds, then call RCL "Gifts & Gear" and purchase $500US obc for $550CA. If booked with a TA, one still have to call RCL as mentioned above directly, not the TA, to get this obc.

I currently have 6 cruises booked, 3 in CA and 3 in US. Never once ever had an issue booking in US or CA, I just had to ask. I could not buy the obc in CA funds on those US$ booked sailings. The cruises I have in US$ are because of the perks offered by my TA... the perks for various cruises are different if booked in CA$ vs. US$ (I don't know why, and are worse perks if booked in CA$) so to get the full extent of the obc & perks offered I stuck with US$ on specific sailings.

Edited by Hoopster95

Thank you!

The web site changed several months ago - used to automatically show in Cdn Dollars - now have to scroll down to the very bottom and click on the globe. Get Cdn dollars. The annoying part is that the choice doesn't remind on the computer and you have to do it every time you check prices - or maybe I don't know the trick!

The web site changed several months ago - used to automatically show in Cdn Dollars - now have to scroll down to the very bottom and click on the globe. Get Cdn dollars. The annoying part is that the choice doesn't remind on the computer and you have to do it every time you check prices - or maybe I don't know the trick!

No, you always have to switch the currency. It sucks because if you forget part way through the booking and switch it, you start right at the beginning again. The other thing is even when you log into your account it doesn't automatically price in Canadian.

No, you always have to switch the currency. It sucks because if you forget part way through the booking and switch it, you start right at the beginning again. The other thing is even when you log into your account it doesn't automatically price in Canadian.

Actually it does, log in and at the top of the page upper right corner change the country.

ImageUploadedByForums1435977107.328640.jpg.b84d55cfb3530ff8a4fb06e532482a5e.jpg

Edited by krev

Actually it does, log in and at the top of the page upper right corner change the country.

Yes I have discovered that spot, which is better than going all the way to the bottom. What I was getting at is you still have to force it to change to Canadian. Where as prior to the web change in Feb/March it automatically priced in Canadian when you logged in.

When I price cruises I have a three step process. My first check is at the fish. The fish is great if you want to have a fast overview of many different dates, espically if you have an open sailng window. I find you can also compare rooms in categories a bit quicker. Then once I find the date and cabin that is interesting then I head to RC to price it. First prior to logging on to see how it is priced prior to C&A discounts, then logged it to see how it compares.

It kinda feel like RC is making us do more work than in the past, or their IT isn't smart enough to think that typically Canadians want it priced in Canadian. ;) Either that or if we see the cruise first in U.S., with exchange as it is, and we might say book it cause it's cheap. That is until we put it in Canadian and start to think twice. :);)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Krev, I just noticed your avatar photo. A great shot of you two in Piza. We were there in June and loved it. We climbed the tour and had to take the silly photos where it looks like you are pushing the tower over. We had a blast.

I hope you get some rain out your way soon. You guys could really use it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Yes I have discovered that spot, which is better than going all the way to the bottom. What I was getting at is you still have to force it to change to Canadian. Where as prior to the web change in Feb/March it automatically priced in Canadian when you logged in.

When I price cruises I have a three step process. My first check is at the fish. The fish is great if you want to have a fast overview of many different dates, espically if you have an open sailng window. I find you can also compare rooms in categories a bit quicker. Then once I find the date and cabin that is interesting then I head to RC to price it. First prior to logging on to see how it is priced prior to C&A discounts, then logged it to see how it compares.

It kinda feel like RC is making us do more work than in the past, or their IT isn't smart enough to think that typically Canadians want it priced in Canadian. ;) Either that or if we see the cruise first in U.S., with exchange as it is, and we might say book it cause it's cheap. That is until we put it in Canadian and start to think twice. :);)

Almost made that mistake a couple of times.:D.

Thank you!

Just scroll down to the bottom of their main page and change your currency to Canadian