Safe & quick way to board with wine

I'm planning to bring 2 bottles on board. I don't want the wine to break because of rough handling and I want to get on board with little hassle or hold up. I will have my carry on and my larger, checked bag, but wanted to check them both and just carry what I need in a tote bag until my room is ready. I've never packed a wine bottle for travel before and I have bubble wrap and extra large ziplock, would that suffice? I'd hate to spend money on a special "wine diaper".

You should be fine with a generous application of bubble wrap around the bottles and using the extra large ziploc. I like the 3 gallon size bag for this since it will easily hold 2 wrapped bottles, but they can be hard to find as not all supermarkets have the big sizes. DH found them at Lowe's.

I advise using 2 ziplocs - bag your bubble wrapped wine bottles, zip it, then bag it again with the zip on the opposite end. Be sure this package is cushioned on all sides by clothing in your suitcase. We've done this before many times and had no problem. We've never had a bottle break, but a cork did leak once in a checked bag on a flight (pressure in the baggage hold??) and the ziplocs kept it contained so it didn't affect anything in the suitcase.

Judy

P.S. Those ziplocs make great laundry bags if you're not traveling home with bottles purchased on your cruise.:p

Using the diapers will save your clothes if the bottles break because it will absorb the liquid and keep it sealed in the plastic sleeve. If you are traveling by air use the diapers in conjunction with the bubble wrap for extra padding and protection. When you get to the cruise terminal you can leave it in your checked bag or take it out and carry it on the boat and take it to your room when it is ready.

These are the ones I have and I have used them since 2010 and they are great. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00308FONW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15KINSSGV9S7M&coliid=I1WTZYKGRQJ0PR&psc=1

You should be fine with a generous application of bubble wrap around the bottles and using the extra large ziploc. I like the 3 gallon size bag for this since it will easily hold 2 wrapped bottles, but they can be hard to find as not all supermarkets have the big sizes. DH found them at Lowe's.

I advise using 2 ziplocs - bag your bubble wrapped wine bottles, zip it, then bag it again with the zip on the opposite end. Be sure this package is cushioned on all sides by clothing in your suitcase. We've done this before many times and had no problem. We've never had a bottle break, but a cork did leak once in a checked bag on a flight (pressure in the baggage hold??) and the ziplocs kept it contained so it didn't affect anything in the suitcase.

Judy

P.S. Those ziplocs make great laundry bags if you're not traveling home with bottles purchased on your cruise.:p

Thank you! I am already saving every available penny for this cruise and buying a wine diaper is like doubling the price of my wine. I also don't see myself using it again. I don't cruise or travel with wine often.

To ensure you get them on without a problem, the safest thing is to carry them on. Then if security has any questions, you can take the wine out and show them. (Never happened to us so far)

As you know, checking them risks breakage. Not only that, if security has any questions at that point, it means you'll have to make a trip to the naughty room to open your case so they can look at the bottles.

So basically the inconvenience of carrying them for a couple of hours vs a chance of breakage or going to security.

Other will say they never had a problem with checking their wine and that is true, but it doesn't mean *you* won't have a problem. (Then again most people don't read what others have posted before posting themselves, so I'm sure somebody is going to say that anyway. :rolleyes:)

To ensure you get them on without a problem, the safest thing is to carry them on. Then if security has any questions, you can take the wine out and show them. (Never happened to us so far)

As you know, checking them risks breakage. Not only that, if security has any questions at that point, it means you'll have to make a trip to the naughty room to open your case so they can look at the bottles.

So basically the inconvenience of carrying them for a couple of hours vs a chance of breakage or going to security.

Other will say they never had a problem with checking their wine and that is true, but it doesn't mean *you* won't have a problem. (Then again most people don't read what others have posted before posting themselves, so I'm sure somebody is going to say that anyway. :rolleyes:)

I think I'd rather roll my carry on around for a few hours! I've never been on a cruise so I don't have the slightest clue what the boarding process looks like. I really appreciate getting tips from people who have been there, done that!

We usually buy our wine in port before bording. it goes from the liquor store into our carry-on - no extra wrapping or protection.

Yes, you have to carry your bag through until you get on the ship, but it's usually a start/stop walk with lots of resting as you wait in queues. You get on board, you sit for lunch, and then your rooms are available.

We've never found it to be onerous carrying around two bottles of wine. Even when we sailed HAL and took on 5 bottles (lol - but those were the "stroller" days). We pushed the wine and made the kids walk :D

On my Panama Canal cruise last March, I checked my 2 bottles of wine with wine diapers on them. The bag was delayed until about 9:00 PM when my steward brought it. Apparently Royal went through the bag without my knowledge. The wine diapers were ripped open and there was a note inside the suitcase stating the bag had been checked. I would have preferred them to have me open it. Now I have to buy more diapers. :mad:

The boarding process is like checking into a hotel..that's all! If you check in, and your room isn't ready, you have to carry your stuff around with you.

You could solve this issue by boarding closer to 1pm, when the rooms will be ready!

To the above poster...if your suitcases had been LOCKED, they would have called you! Everyone...LOCK YOUR BAGS! ALWAYS!

Edited by cb at sea

I think I'd rather roll my carry on around for a few hours! I've never been on a cruise so I don't have the slightest clue what the boarding process looks like. I really appreciate getting tips from people who have been there, done that!

That's what we do. Also, if you board around 1:30pm, staterooms are likely to be open, and you can drop off your carry on in your stateroom.

We usually buy our wine in port before bording. it goes from the liquor store into our carry-on - no extra wrapping or protection.

Yes, you have to carry your bag through until you get on the ship, but it's usually a start/stop walk with lots of resting as you wait in queues. You get on board, you sit for lunch, and then your rooms are available.

We've never found it to be onerous carrying around two bottles of wine. Even when we sailed HAL and took on 5 bottles (lol - but those were the "stroller" days). We pushed the wine and made the kids walk :D

My kid is ten and I still miss the stroller/pack mule. As long as I don't have to lift and carry my bag, I can happily roll it all day.

The boarding process is like checking into a hotel..that's all! If you check in, and your room isn't ready, you have to carry your stuff around with you.

You could solve this issue by boarding closer to 1pm, when the rooms will be ready!

To the above poster...if your suitcases had been LOCKED, they would have called you! Everyone...LOCK YOUR BAGS! ALWAYS!

Ummmm who said my bags weren't locked????? THEY WERE with TSA locks. Apparently they have the ability to get into them......

That's what we do. Also, if you board around 1:30pm, staterooms are likely to be open, and you can drop off your carry on in your stateroom.

So, do they X-ray your carry on bags or do I just tell them I have my allotment of wine, or is that necessary? I don't want to cause a hold up. I'm picturing it like airport security.

So, do they X-ray your carry on bags or do I just tell them I have my allotment of wine, or is that necessary? I don't want to cause a hold up. I'm picturing it like airport security.

It is very much like airport security. They x-ray all bags and you walk through a metal detector. No naked scanners ... yet.

Edited by clarea

We purchased a neoprene two bottle wine carrier and it has served us well on many cruises. I usually stick it in my backpack but can carry it separately if need be. They can be purchased for a very reasonable price.

Anyone with a pen can get into a piece of luggage that has a zipper closure.

Yeah, I know. It bothers me that they opened it up without calling me to the naughty room. I was expecting the call. There was nothing else in the bag except a 12 pack of bottled water so I didn't bother to call anyone over it. Still, they shouldn't have opened it....