How Beverage Cards Work/Cost?

RVAborn

You can purchase a Beverage Card either in advance of your cruise, or from any lounge steward once on board. You can purchase more as the cruise goes on, should you need to.

The Beverage Card can be purchased in amounts of $50, $100, or $250. There is no discount, but they do save keeping all those little sales slips from every purchase. Makes reconciling your account at the end of the cruise much easier.

If you are a Mariner with enough stars to get a discount at the Explorations Café, you must use your cabin card to get the discount; you can't get it with the Beverage Card.

In addition to the beverage cards Ruth described (which work for anything), HAL offers soda-only cards which do offer a discount. You obtain a $50 soda card but only pay $25. These cards work for soda in a glass, not a can of soda while the beverage cards will work for a can of soda.

There are several wine packages with varying numbers of bottles and types/levels of wines offered. There are also room alcohol (bottles) and beer packages offered. The info is pages and pages or I would cut and paste for you.

There are a number of beverage and wine packages. Since I have a current booking on HAL, here are the packages:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Beverage-Packages-for-Stateroom.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wine-and-Champagne-for-Stateroom.pdf

HAL is always having promotions that may provide free or reduced prices on the above. In addition, wines are being added and deleted based on availability.

Hope this helps.

Even though we don't get any savings by buying the Beverage Cards, we like the idea that we don't have piles of receipts to check through at the end of the cruise.

When you use the Beverage Card, they subtract the cost of the drink as well as the 15% gratuity from the card and you get a receipt showing how much is left on the card. Once I get a new receipt, I just throw away the old one.

• 6 months later...

I've cruised before but haven't had many cocktails. Kept to soft stuff on most cruises. My BFF and I are looking to buy beverage cards for a 1 week cruise and are trying to determine the $$$ beverage card we should buy. How much to cocktails cost? TIA

Edited by TN_trojan

I've cruised before but haven't had many cocktails. Kept to soft stuff on most cruises. My BFF and I are looking to buy beverage cards for a 1 week cruise and are trying to determine the $$$ beverage card we should buy. How much to cocktails cost? TIA

Bar Menu for our November 2015 cruise to give you an idea of drink as well as bottled water costs:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

In addition to the beverage cards Ruth described (which work for anything), HAL offers soda-only cards which do offer a discount. You obtain a $50 soda card but only pay $25. These cards work for soda in a glass, not a can of soda while the beverage cards will work for a can of soda.

<wine info snipped>

We've bought soda cards on each of the cruises we've taken over the past 3 years and occasionally we'll get a can. But a glass is the more normal. I do recommend writing your name on the card (I bring an indelible pen on the trip) or getting it double punched so you can identify your own cards. Mine has been switched with another passenger twice by the beverage staff .

Bar Menu for our November 2015 cruise to give you an idea of drink as well as bottled water costs:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

Thank you for the link, in Australia when a price is quoted it includes the tax component by law. I am assuming I would be wrong if I thought that the drink prices quoted in your attachment include tax, which means I have to calculate an extra 15% then calculate the exchange rate..........it just gets more and more confusing.

So a $6.75 drink plus 15% plus another 30% becomes $11.25 Australian - not cheap to drink on board........

I know you all say that we are on a cruise so not to nickel and dime - but when you look at all the costs we Aussies end up paying an 45% on any purchase made on board (with tax added that is) - be nice if our dollar was at parity

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've bought soda cards on each of the cruises we've taken over the past 3 years and occasionally we'll get a can. But a glass is the more normal. I do recommend writing your name on the card (I bring an indelible pen on the trip) or getting it double punched so you can identify your own cards. Mine has been switched with another passenger twice by the beverage staff .

If you pre-order beverage cards, your name and cabin number is printed on the Beverage card. If you buy them on board, it is possible to have the information printed on your beverage card at the Front Desk!

If you pre-order beverage cards, your name and cabin number is printed on the Beverage card. If you buy them on board, it is possible to have the information printed on your beverage card at the Front Desk!

Yes, we have had that done. The Front Desk is good at replacing lost cards.

Thank you for the link' date=' in Australia when a price is quoted it includes the tax component by law. I am assuming I would be wrong if I thought that the drink prices quoted in your attachment include tax, which means I have to calculate an extra 15% then calculate the exchange rate...[/quote']There is no sales tax or VAT unless you are in a port/area that assesses one, but as per the footnote in the price list the 15% Service Charge is not included.

Edited by jtl513

I always buy the premium coffee card from the cafe on the atrium deck on Princess ships.

Just wonder if HAL sells this similar type of card? Regular coffee is free, but I prefer better quality coffee and cappuccino, etc.

There is no special coffee card on HAL. You can use a purchased Beverage Card to charge specialty coffees in addition to other charged beverages. Without a Beverage Card, you can charge to your stateroom account.

Here is the menu for the Explorations Cafe that serves the specialty coffees:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Explorations-Cafe.pdf

Edited by Crew News

• 1 month later...

Can the Soda Fountain Value Cards that are worth $50 but cost $25 also be purchased on the ship? Or do you have to pre-purchase online to save the $25?

It seems easier to just buy on board, but not if you don't get the discount.