there is always hope.. never say never

Stakeout

I would give up my veranda, the NL, the wide open spaces, and glass elevators in a New York minute for one more chance to sail on the SS Rotterdam.

She holds a VERY special place in my heart. Just one more drink in the Sky Room while at sea. Waking up and looking out of the portholes. Not a moldy old ship- a grand dame and a good friend. I'm betting Ruth would join me for that drink :D

And me, too!

And some of us want all that and also don't want to be on a ship that holds 3-4,000 people. Who wants a cruise with troubles? I don't think anyone on this board does.

Each to their own. I'm not going to get into an argument with you or Sammie but I have sailed the P'dam for far more days and I saw no mold (and yes, I am sensitive) and sure, the ship is older but she is well taken care of.

And yes, her history is interesting. and it's worth looking at. Just follow her art and it tells the story.

It will be interesting comparing when I get on Oceania in the fall.

People complain about HAL hyping their signature of excellence. We'll see if O is doing any hyping. And my comparison when I do compare will be to the Prinsendam.

We're looking forward to our adventure and are trying everything from La Reserve to La Privee. It's a rough life :)

The mustiness on Prinsendam is real, I would take an oath on it. I don't remember much art work on board but there were hundreds of wall plaques from around the world. I did not find the ship attractive, sorry.

We have our fifth O cruise booked, all lengthy trips, all terrific. Well worth the money.

Edited by sammiedawg

The Statendam and Ryndam will leave HAL's fleet. There can be no doubt about this. Re-positioning cruises for both are being sold. Just think of the amount of money HAL would have to refund and to make just compensation for the air, i.e. expensive air, from Singapore to wherever home is if these voyages were canceled. With no doubt, steel has been ordered for the reconstruction that will be done and dockyard time/employees "reserved". I am sure it would be a considerable cost to change those plans.

While Royal Caribbean's decision to "keep" Majesty of the Seas is a surprise, their decision has not led to happiness among many of their loyal guests, according to the CC Royal Caribbean Message Board.

I am just thankful that I finally am going to have a chance of sailing on the Statendam of 1993, having sailed on Statendam of 1957, my 3rd HAL cruise and very memorable in its own right.

The mustiness on Prinsendam is real, I would take an oath on it. I don't remember much art work on board but there were hundreds of wall plaques from around the world. I did not find the ship attractive, sorry.

We have our fifth O cruise booked, all lengthy trips, all terrific. Well worth the money.

I won't argue with you. And everyone has their own experiences - I wasn't on your cruise - who knows what was going on? We can both take oaths, but I wasn't in an OV cabin, so I can't comment about that, but I did see them, did talk to roll call members on board on all of my cruises and did not hear that complaint.

I would suggest an art tour to anyone on her (I know you won't be back on). She has some pretty nice stuff - but you do have to go walking around and explore. The entrance to the Crow's Nest has some of it and most of us end up there :) at some time.

I know you are an O fan. You have made that pretty clear. I hope I am as much of an O fan as you when we sail in November. Time will tell.

There was a recent thread on the "rotting Rotterdam", I never had the pleasure so cannot comment on it. Areas on the Prinsendam including our cabin closet absolutely reeked of must, especially when the AC was not operating. Sorry but non working mechanicals, which we've experienced on a couple of these old ships, is not to my liking. Seeing buckets routinely placed in hallways to catch water from God only knows where is not to my liking. Non working AC in an ocean view cabin triggered reactive airway and sent me to the medical center, not to my liking.

My travel agent friend says the aging run down fleet HAL sails has led to a weaker position in the marketplace.

The thread mentioned was referring to the MS Rotterdam- I was speaking of the SS Rotterdam which is now a hotel in Rotterdam. She was launched in 1958 and is still afloat and I hear a great hotel so I'm guessing she is not rotting. SS Rotterdam left HAL in 1997.

Edited by frankc98376

And when were you on the ship which enable you to make that comment????

That's a rather strange response and question to such a short comment that someone would like to cruise a ship. Were you meaning to quote another post?

And when were you on the ship which enable you to make that comment????

A comment like that makes me think maybe I should put my cruise history back in my signature lest I be doubted when I make a comment. I removed the cruise history in order to make my signature less cluttered.

Far be it from me to cast doubt when a highly respected poster makes a comment about a ship.

For the record, I have not sailed on any of the Rotterdams.