there is always hope.. never say never

Stakeout

with RCC changing its mind on transferring its Majesty of the Seas over to Pullmantur is there any hope that HAL would consider doing the same for the Statendam and Ryndam.. same age.. although capacity-wise these days they are not money-makers.. but 'never say never'.. :) :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/07/08/royal-caribbean-majesty-ship/29851805/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=tp-thecruiselog

While I would love for Holland America to keep those two S-Class ships in their fleet, I doubt they will change their mind.

Here in Australia, I am getting all kinds of adverting material from P&O Australia about the new ships. And they have already started selling cruises on the Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn.

It was my understanding that Carnival Corporation transferred the Ryndam and the Statendam to P&O -- not HAL????

Given that HAL and P&O Australia are both part of "Holland America Group" I suppose it really could have been either entity

It was my understanding that Carnival Corporation transferred the Ryndam and the Statendam to P&O -- not HAL????

If the ships (Ryndam and Statendam) are already HAL ships how could they be transferred to HAL? :confused:

If they transferred to P&O, sure, they could be transferred back but has that happened?

If the ships (Ryndam and Statendam) are already HAL ships how could they be transferred to HAL? :confused:

If they transferred to P&O, sure, they could be transferred back but has that happened?

I think KK means that Carnival made the decision not HAL.

What is the attraction to these old moldy ships. I don't get it.

In my opinion, bigger is not always better and the smaller ships have a much more intimate feel. And fewer cabins means fear passengers, which is nice as well.

I understand that smaller, more intimate things are not everyone's cup of tea, but then the newest things with all the bells and whistles aren't everyone's cup of tea either.

Additionally, a big draw for me is the older ships have fewer balcony cabins and more ocean-view cabins. I do not like balcony cabins, but I do want a window. I prefer being low down and forward, and on the newer ships those cabins are sacrificed for public space to be down low in favor of more balcony cabins. Those S-Class ships have much more to offer in terms of MY preferred cabins.

In my opinion, bigger is not always better and the smaller ships have a much more intimate feel. And fewer cabins means fear passengers, which is nice as well.

I understand that smaller, more intimate things are not everyone's cup of tea, but then the newest things with all the bells and whistles aren't everyone's cup of tea either.

Additionally, a big draw for me is the older ships have fewer balcony cabins and more ocean-view cabins. I do not like balcony cabins, but I do want a window. I prefer being low down and forward, and on the newer ships those cabins are sacrificed for public space to be down low in favor of more balcony cabins. Those S-Class ships have much more to offer in terms of MY preferred cabins.

You should move up to the premium lines.

Can't afford them. And probably wouldn't go anyway. I like Holland America. I subscribe to the advice "never leave a place where you're having a good time to go somewhere you only think you'll have a good time."

Both ships are well past their sell by dates. Good to see them go. Hopefully HAL will eventually be able to get rid of a few more that they have been trying to sell. Both were on the list of HAL ships that we would never consider.

Nothing wrong with an old ship. Lots wrong with an old ship that needs a complete overhaul of the mechanical /engineering systems-plumbing, HVAC, etc. We will not even consider a number of these ships. Too many other better ships (to us) in the marketplace-HAL and other cruise lines.

Both ships are well past their sell by dates. Good to see them go. Hopefully HAL will eventually be able to get rid of a few more that they have been trying to sell. Both were on the list of HAL ships that we would never consider.

Nothing wrong with an old ship. Lots wrong with an old ship that needs a complete overhaul of the mechanical /engineering systems-plumbing, HVAC, etc. We will not even consider a number of these ships. Too many other better ships (to us) in the marketplace-HAL and other cruise lines.

Nobody is forcing you to sail any HAL ship. If these ships aren't to your taste lot those of us who enjoy them do so.

Roy

Nobody is forcing you to sail any HAL ship. If these ships aren't to your taste lot those of us who enjoy them do so.

Ditto.

I haven't sailed the Statendam in ages, so won't speak to her, but I have been on the Ryndam in recent times, and loved my time on her. I will miss this ship very much, and am sorry I can't sail her one more time, knowing it would be the last.

What is the attraction to these old moldy ships. I don't get it.

I would give up my veranda, the NL, the wide open spaces, and glass elevators in a New York minute for one more chance to sail on the SS Rotterdam.

She holds a VERY special place in my heart. Just one more drink in the Sky Room while at sea. Waking up and looking out of the portholes. Not a moldy old ship- a grand dame and a good friend. I'm betting Ruth would join me for that drink :D

Edited by frankc98376

I would give up my veranda, the NL, the wide open spaces, and glass elevators in a New York minute for one more chance to sail on the SS Rotterdam.

She holds a VERY special place in my heart. Just one more drink in the Sky Room while at sea. Waking up and looking out of the portholes. Not a moldy old ship- a grand dame and a good friend. I'm betting Ruth would join me for that drink :D

She would.

It is not that we do not prefer smaller ships. But, we do like a balcony and we find that on HAL, the verandah cabins on some of those ships are more expensive than more modern ships that have 70-80 percent of their cabin space dedicated to balcony cabins. At least for the itineraries that interest us.

But the real kicker is when we do look at a verandah, often the total get off the boat price is not a lot less than we might pay on an Oceania or an Azamara. When we do that math, the direction for us is set. So, if we are going with a smaller ship we may as well pay a bit more and move up to a premium line.

Edited by iancal

There was a recent thread on the "rotting Rotterdam", I never had the pleasure so cannot comment on it. Areas on the Prinsendam including our cabin closet absolutely reeked of must, especially when the AC was not operating. Sorry but non working mechanicals, which we've experienced on a couple of these old ships, is not to my liking. Seeing buckets routinely placed in hallways to catch water from God only knows where is not to my liking. Non working AC in an ocean view cabin triggered reactive airway and sent me to the medical center, not to my liking.

My travel agent friend says the aging run down fleet HAL sails has led to a weaker position in the marketplace.

She would.

and so would I. :)

..agree with sammiedawg.

And this is exactly what I hear with increasing frequency from TA's.

Nostalgia may sell to a select group but not to us. We want fully functioning A/C, plumbing, no mold thank you, and a competitively priced balcony cabin. That is why we select our ships carefully and avoid the older HAL ships . Most especially any one of their ships that has been refitted with extra cabins.

We are not on board to re-live history or old times but rather to have an enjoyable, trouble free cruise.

Edited by iancal

..agree with sammiedawg.

And this is exactly what I hear with increasing frequency from TA's.

Nostalgia may sell to a select group but not to us. We want fully functioning A/C, plumbing, no mold thank you, and a competitively priced balcony cabin. That is why we select our ships carefully and avoid the older HAL ships . Most especially any one of their ships that has been refitted with extra cabins.

We are not on board to re-live history or old times but rather to have an enjoyable, trouble free cruise.

And some of us want all that and also don't want to be on a ship that holds 3-4,000 people. Who wants a cruise with troubles? I don't think anyone on this board does.

Each to their own. I'm not going to get into an argument with you or Sammie but I have sailed the P'dam for far more days and I saw no mold (and yes, I am sensitive) and sure, the ship is older but she is well taken care of.

And yes, her history is interesting. and it's worth looking at. Just follow her art and it tells the story.

It will be interesting comparing when I get on Oceania in the fall.

People complain about HAL hyping their signature of excellence. We'll see if O is doing any hyping. And my comparison when I do compare will be to the Prinsendam.

We're looking forward to our adventure and are trying everything from La Reserve to La Privee. It's a rough life :)