Do you think SDP/UDP will disappear?

LMaxwell

I think UDP is disappearing, as in can not be purchased any more. This was replaced by SDP that provided a set number of dining experiences for one cost. Now that specialty is going a la carte no one knows what will or will not be covered by SDP.

Does anyone think UDP and SDP will go away altogether? I did see promos where NCL was trying out Specialty Dining Credit; they just gave you a flat amount of credit and you could use it as you wished on any given restaurant, food, number of nights, etc.

I think going forward SDP and UDP will be gone, perhaps replaced with the option to purchase Specialty Dining Credits before a cruise (sort of like buying OBC, but only good for dining) at a nominal discount; say 10% discount, meaning you could purchase $100 in Specialty Dining credit for $90 if you do it before the cruise.

This eliminates any need for covering, not covering, covering some, etc, with SDP (which is basically a reduced cover charge). It allows NCL to get money up front NOW which is their main goal. Food prices COULD change between when you purchased the credit and when you can use it; but that would be a gamble you take in order to get the discount up front.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think SDP will be around for quite awhile. Adding a la carte pricing is the justification for SDP, as SDP doesn't really provide for a discount. With SDP, you are going to pay the cover charge essentially. But, that will seem like a big discount compared with paying the hugely expensive a la carte prices.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think SDP will be around for quite awhile. Adding a la carte pricing is the justification for SDP, as SDP doesn't really provide for a discount. With SDP, you are going to pay the cover charge essentially. But, that will seem like a big discount compared with paying the hugely expensive a la carte prices.

But the question arises what does SDP cover charge entitle you to? 2 coures? 3? 4? What if chicken is less expensive than fish or steak, are you charged a nominal surcharge above "base" offerings? What if you have SDP and calculate it to be worth a $20 "cover" but order 2 items off the a la carte menu below that price? I could see people being angry in either of those situations and others. When it was just a cover charge you knew the discount SDP gave and what it covered. With a la carte there are many more moving pieces now. Perhaps a credit is the "cleaner" way to go?

I think UDP is disappearing, as in can not be purchased any more. This was replaced by SDP that provided a set number of dining experiences for one cost. Now that specialty is going a la carte no one knows what will or will not be covered by SDP.

Does anyone think UDP and SDP will go away altogether? I did see promos where NCL was trying out Specialty Dining Credit; they just gave you a flat amount of credit and you could use it as you wished on any given restaurant, food, number of nights, etc.

I think going forward SDP and UDP will be gone, perhaps replaced with the option to purchase Specialty Dining Credits before a cruise (sort of like buying OBC, but only good for dining) at a nominal discount; say 10% discount, meaning you could purchase $100 in Specialty Dining credit for $90 if you do it before the cruise.

This eliminates any need for covering, not covering, covering some, etc, with SDP (which is basically a reduced cover charge). It allows NCL to get money up front NOW which is their main goal. Food prices COULD change between when you purchased the credit and when you can use it; but that would be a gamble you take in order to get the discount up front.

100% agreed! For those sailing soon, I would purchase the UDP if you like the specialty restaurants since it'll be gone.

I agree with the above poster that SDP will stick around. I think the a la carte pricing will entice people to buy a 3-day or more SDP, and NCL knows that. A lot of people like to either pre-pay, or to know exactly how much something is costing them. Make them think they're saving money on top of that and it's a win for NCL. I think many people who normally only do two specialty restaurants will now choose the 3-day package for slightly more than the previous cover charges cost them, making NCL more money.

Disney uses this strategy with their different dining plans. It keeps people eating on Disney World property and makes Disney more money. Their restaurant prices are comparable to prices here in NY, not comparable to other restaurants in Orlando, Florida. Yet their restaurants are full. Full of people with the dining plan that they couldn't have purchased if they hadn't stayed on Disney property in the first place (another smart business move by Disney...get people to stay in Disney operated hotels).

I can see NCL increasing the price of the SDP in the coming months though. Plus I'm not sure if they will limit the amount of courses you could order with the SDP. Time will tell.

Edited by bangzoom6877

You know, the UDP is only about 3 years old and boy has it morphed over those 3 years. With NCL in such a flux with all of their offerings these days and the constant changing who knows whats going to happen.

For us, the chance to try the specialties only occurred because of the UDP, and I'm glad we did. Unfortunately it only confirmed my belief the specialties are not worth the added cost, mostly because they robbed from the MDR, which in itself lessened the MDR experience all because of corporate greed, This only reaffirms the nickle and diming label.

Take a look at their annual report for 2014, NCL had 13.6 million passenger sea days and spent a little over $168.2 million dollars in food. That comes to under $12.50 per person per day which includes the specialty foods. You could double the $12.50 which would be less than $90 per week (add it to the fare) and provide the specialty food to everyone, everyday. NCL won't because the specialties generate a lot higher margin of income. I would be ok with that if it were'nt for the lessening of the MDR content.

I agree. By essentially offering the UDP at multiple price points, it will encourage more people to purchase perhaps a small number of specialty dining. Previously it was all or nothing. If you choose to do a specialty, you might as well buy a smaller SDP package than pay the high a la carte prices. I know we are more likely to buy maybe a 2-3 day SDP rather than pay $30+ for a single entrée.

Paulh84; would you buy SDP for 3 days if it only covered a base offering and that surcharges would further apply to the higher price items?

Let's say SDP entitles you to soup or salad, entree, dessert; how would you feel about having to pay a la carte for an appetizer?

As it works TODAY, SDP is fine because you know you have paid, basically, three cover charges and can just order without having to think about the costs. I just don't know how they plan to make SDP work when things go a la carte. That's the only reason I thought they'd want to sell specialty dining credits. For NCL it accomplishes getting the money up front. The guest gets a nominal discount but is now locked into using up the credit, even if food prices go up from when they buy it. It only buys them less food, the NCL Diet as some uncouth posters refer to it, but it does not preclude any choices.

OR maybe the better question is; if you have SDP already purchased for a 2016 cruise, what is your confidence that NCL will honor it as a cover charge and not charge any a la carte items to you?

Will they still honor the previous UDP, the one that covered all passengers in the cabin and preceded the 18% addition?

They better honor folks that already got the UDP.

Besides the 18% gratuity that was introduced in May.

If you have not noticed lately, there is also an Additional Gratuity on your restaurant receipt if you care to add more? LOL :D

Paulh84; would you buy SDP for 3 days if it only covered a base offering and that surcharges would further apply to the higher price items?

Let's say SDP entitles you to soup or salad, entree, dessert; how would you feel about having to pay a la carte for an appetizer?

As it works TODAY, SDP is fine because you know you have paid, basically, three cover charges and can just order without having to think about the costs. I just don't know how they plan to make SDP work when things go a la carte. That's the only reason I thought they'd want to sell specialty dining credits. For NCL it accomplishes getting the money up front. The guest gets a nominal discount but is now locked into using up the credit, even if food prices go up from when they buy it. It only buys them less food, the NCL Diet as some uncouth posters refer to it, but it does not preclude any choices.

OR maybe the better question is; if you have SDP already purchased for a 2016 cruise, what is your confidence that NCL will honor it as a cover charge and not charge any a la carte items to you?

I'm hoping they still honor it in terms as is stands today. Buy SDP/UDP and you only have to pay additional for the premium/upgraded/whatevertheycallit menu items. Similar to how RCL now charges asinine menu priced drinks to encourage more drink package purchases.

But who knows. This company doesn't exactly seem to have any direction at all at the moment, other than charging more money.

Our confidence in NCL is slowly being eroded. Constant changes and reduction in guest amenities.

We have a cruise booked for January and the only way we found out about the DSC increase was being on CC forums. We did not receive any notice from NCL. We also purchased UDP and now not sure what it will look like when we actually sail.:confused:

As Platinum, we have been with them for many years....now...??

We can't be the only one's feeling this way?:(

Our confidence in NCL is slowly being eroded. Constant changes and reduction in guest amenities.

We have a cruise booked for January and the only way we found out about the DSC increase was being on CC forums. We did not receive any notice from NCL. We also purchased UDP and now not sure what it will look like when we actually sail.:confused:

What's the change in amenities?

I too have to agree. But I'm hoping ala carte does not work out and that they won't roll it out to all ships. I personally can't wrap my head around ala carte pricng on a cruise ship.

If down the road the SDP doesn't become more beneficial then we may have to look to other lines, the main reason we have always cruised NCL is because of the specialty restaurants.

I don't think UDP is going anywhere. If anything, I think NCL may be hoping for more people to buy it, due to the fact that it circumvents a la carte pricing. You feel like you're getting a better deal because you see the prices on the menu but don't have to pay them.

I haven't received the email yet either, but on the last raise some received it one day and others during the next couple of days.

I believe NCL has come out and said that those with the UDP/SDP will still be able to eat in the al a carte restaurants....just like before. In other words, the same rules apply that were in effect prior to changes.

I believe NCL has come out and said that those with the UDP/SDP will still be able to eat in the al a carte restaurants....just like before. In other words, the same rules apply that were in effect prior to changes.

I would hope so. Can you please direct me to the communication on that?

I would hope so. Can you please direct me to the communication on that?
It has been in just about every press release/article that has been posted.

Anyone who purchases a Norwegian specialty dining package can enjoy meals at La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's at no additional charge, but Bayamo by Jose Garces still carries a $15 fee.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6443

Norwegian also will continue to sell Specialty Dining Packages that include meals at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina at a set price without extra a la carte charges.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/07/14/norwegian-cruise-restaurant-pricing/30133043/

Will they still honor the previous UDP, the one that covered all passengers in the cabin and preceded the 18% addition?

Well I had them send me an Amenity confirmation, it shows the UDP for both me and DW and Child's dining package for both DD's.

She also said the 18% does not apply to this UDP.

So I will make sure to print this and take it along just to make sure.