Picking up purchased liquor on debarkation

MsMot

We just unzipped our luggage when we got to the airport and slid it in. Not really a big deal.

We normally bring home several bottles that we like to roll in between clothes in order to minimize the chances of it breaking. It certainly isn't something I can do in a minute or two on the fly outside in the heat. I don't mind picking it up so much, but having to repack in the port is ridiculous.

We normally bring home several bottles that we like to roll in between clothes in order to minimize the chances of it breaking. It certainly isn't something I can do in a minute or two on the fly outside in the heat. I don't mind picking it up so much, but having to repack in the port is ridiculous.

I had 6 bottles and once we got inside in the ac we unzipped the bag and stuffed the boxes of liquour inside and re zipped. Just took a minute no need to re pack . We just arrived home and everything is in one piece.

Do you really think Carnival is concerned with alcohol sales? The time and manpower needed for delivery all over a ship is ridiculous. A lot of wasted time.

It won't affect you anyway, you've already posted you don't need to buy it on board as you buy from a place near you.

They wouldnt sell it if it was not profitable. They have always managed to deliver it the last night up to now with no problems.

They wouldnt sell it if it was not profitable. They have always managed to deliver it the last night up to now with no problems.

It may not be quite so profitable, anymore, since the wages it costs to deliver the stuff may have far exceeded the profit margin. Besides, Carnival was also delivering all the port purchases on their dime and that, too, probably factored in to the new decision.

I'm actually surprised with the new baggage charges at the airlines that the added weight of liquor and its cost to transport home still makes it a good buy for those people who fly....and if you don't fly the "I don't have time to transfer it to my luggage" holds absolutely no weight in the discussion, I would think.

I'm one of those people who feels that anything that is done to keep the "fare" costs within my budget is ultimately a good thing. I'm not into paying for the little costly perks that I don't use.

It may not be quite so profitable, anymore, since the wages it costs to deliver the stuff may have far exceeded the profit margin. Besides, Carnival was also delivering all the port purchases on their dime and that, too, probably factored in to the new decision.

I'm actually surprised with the new baggage charges at the airlines that the added weight of liquor and its cost to transport home still makes it a good buy for those people who fly....and if you don't fly the "I don't have time to transfer it to my luggage" holds absolutely no weight in the discussion, I would think.

I'm one of those people who feels that anything that is done to keep the "fare" costs within my budget is ultimately a good thing. I'm not into paying for the little costly perks that I don't use.

I dont believe the crew will be reduced based on not delivering liquor and since they seem to work the crew to maximum hours dont really think they save anything.

It is hard enough to stay within baggage limits when flying so surprised that many people will still find it worthwhile to fly liquor home. We have learned to take an extra carryon bag with us when flying and move stuff around to get under limit.

I dont believe the crew will be reduced based on not delivering liquor and since they seem to work the crew to maximum hours dont really think they save anything.

I don't think I'll waste my time going into a simple lecture on basic economics...but the bottom line is that Carnival no longer thinks it is a necessity that they deliver booze on the last night as a "perk" irregardless of what they "used to do". As a consumer we now have the choice to purchase liquor knowing that said purchase requires an additional step to procure it at the end of the cruise. Whether we agree or disagree with the procedure is of little consequence.

I never considered my liquor purchases being delivered the night before a perk. And again, for me and many, I don't mind picking it up. But I do think it's unreasonable to expect people to have to open their luggage and pack the bottles in it, which is going to be the case if you fly.

The only thing that helps us is that sometimes we do train it to Florida. And we will be going back by train this time, so I don't have to worry about opening my luggage in the port to put the bottles in. But anything we buy will be from the islands. I'm not buying any liquor in the shops onboard. I know Carnival doesn't give a rip. I don't either. I'll save my liquor purchases for ports from now on and only buy when I don't have to worry about checked luggage for flights.

I don't think I'll waste my time going into a simple lecture on basic economics...but the bottom line is that Carnival no longer thinks it is a necessity that they deliver booze on the last night as a "perk" irregardless of what they "used to do". As a consumer we now have the choice to purchase liquor knowing that said purchase requires an additional step to procure it at the end of the cruise. Whether we agree or disagree with the procedure is of little consequence.

All things considered, I think it's a wise move. Maybe in the days of Fantasy class ships being "huge", it was a perk. With ships now being huge, it must be a task getting the booze to their respective cabins. So many were not only buying on board, but a great amount was coming from the ports. Carnival was indirectly paying staff to deliver these while they had made no profit off the booze in the first place.

All things considered, I think it's a wise move. Maybe in the days of Fantasy class ships being "huge", it was a perk. With ships now being huge, it must be a task getting the booze to their respective cabins. So many were not only buying on board, but a great amount was coming from the ports. Carnival was indirectly paying staff to deliver these while they had made no profit off the booze in the first place.

They make their profit when you purchase drinks on the ship. Holding your port or ship bottle purchases stops loss of revenue consumption of liquor other than their control. If Carnival let you take what was bought in port or on ship to your cabin at time of purchase, they wouldn't have to deliver or hold anything. But they would feel a loss of bar purchases.

Carnival could have set it up where we could go the night before and pick up our purchases. I don't believe for a minute that Carnival loses that much money on the last night because our liquor is delivered to our cabins. If it cost them money to deliver the liquor than why not let us pick it up ourselves. They are going to deliver to those that pay to have their luggage picked up and taken to the airport. So again, why not let us pick it up the night before? My experience on the last night is that the ship is pretty quiet and the halls are filled with luggage. My husband may or may not buy from the ship, but I will not be buying it then standing in another line on the last day to pick it up.

Carnival could have set it up where we could go the night before and pick up our purchases. I don't believe for a minute that Carnival loses that much money on the last night because our liquor is delivered to our cabins. If it cost them money to deliver the liquor than why not let us pick it up ourselves. They are going to deliver to those that pay to have their luggage picked up and taken to the airport. So again, why not let us pick it up the night before? My experience on the last night is that the ship is pretty quiet and the halls are filled with luggage. My husband may or may not buy from the ship, but I will not be buying it then standing in another line on the last day to pick it up.

So if it's not about last evening liquor sales.

Why do you think they made the change?

It is hard enough to stay within baggage limits when flying so surprised that many people will still find it worthwhile to fly liquor home. We have learned to take an extra carryon bag with us when flying and move stuff around to get under limit.

I don't know why everyone's jumping on you for your opinion here. I agree with you completely.

I'll still sail with Carnival. I'm just less likely to buy liquor on board. Not being melodramatic. It's just not worth it to me when I weigh saving a few dollars buying tax and duty free vs. waiting in another line on embarkation day, and adjusting packing and moving out of the cabin accordingly.

I don't know why everyone's jumping on you for your opinion here. I agree with you completely.

I'll still sail with Carnival. I'm just less likely to buy liquor on board. Not being melodramatic. It's just not worth it to me when I weigh saving a few dollars buying tax and duty free vs. waiting in another line on embarkation day, and adjusting packing and moving out of the cabin accordingly.

Thanks, I am wondering the same thing. Was even told that I said that we would stop cruising with Carnival over this, shaking my head over that one.

Nice to save a few bucks on booze but not worth it in this case.

According to JH, some folks chose to "pack" it in a glass around ice on that last evening and were being obnoxious. That's a new one on me! The last night is normally fairly quiet. But, it is the rule and we can either accept it or make other plans.

I agree that having to pick it up morning of debarkation is not a good idea - especially for those flying. I like to pack the night before and WEIGH my luggage, lock it with zip ties and put it outside the cabin.

having to pick it up in the morning sounds like a bit of a headache - having to cut off the zip ties - open suitcase somewhere? Port? airport? (usually crazy busy with a long line up to the check in counter) then make sure it is adequately packed/protected - then put new zip tie on.

Would much prefer picking it up the night before - at least that way everyone can be prepared to simply disembark in the am (whether flying or driving) with the added hassle...

I do think sales will go down - but I guess in the end it is a management decision...for whatever reason...

I suspect Carnival will say the new way is working because the wait time is minimal and bottle collection is moving quickly. What they won't say is the reason why is because very few people are purchasing alcohol due to the new rule.

No...I actually think Carnival will be jumping up and down with glee that passengers are no longer bringing cart loads of booze back from their Island tours that has to be handled, stored, and distributed all on Carnival's dime.

I really don't know. I did ask John Heald if he could tell us why but got no reply. I am just wondering if it is because of wrong deliveries or broken bottles. My sister got a 4 pack on one cruise that she didn't order. She reported it and the cabin steward came back and got it. We have had a bottle broken before and they had to replace it. This may not have anything to do with it. It is just a theory. Maybe some folks do get drunk on the last night. I have never seen it maybe because we usually cruise in the off season with more seniors aboard.

No...I actually think Carnival will be jumping up and down with glee that passengers are no longer bringing cart loads of booze back from their Island tours that has to be handled, stored, and distributed all on Carnival's dime.

They also encourage people to do so with all their shopping talks pushing it. After all, they get a nice kickback from all those "recommended" stores. Don't forget you have to walk through those stores in order to get off/on the ship in many places. Cozumel and Roatan are 2 that pop into my mind.

Don't think for a second they don't pocket a pretty penny from those sales as well. As less people purchase on land and on the ship, the lines for pick up will no doubt be nonexistent, therefore, allowing Carnival to say that their new policy is working "brilliantly".

Thanks, I am wondering the same thing. Was even told that I said that we would stop cruising with Carnival over this, shaking my head over that one.

Nice to save a few bucks on booze but not worth it in this case.

I agree with you too. If I were flying, I wouldn't be buying liqour on my cruise. I wouldn't feel the boxes just slipped in my suitcase would be enough to insure no breakage of those bottles.

However, we are driving to our next cruise (airfare for 5 from Mpls to Miami on Jan 1st. Ha!) so, I don't mind getting it that morning as long as folks report that waits have not been too long.

Remember the old days when we could go to the ship's store anytime it was open, buy a bottle and take it to our cabin? Sigh... There was no hassle for the cruise line or the cruise passenger. Greed is kind of ugly, I think.

They also encourage people to do so with all their shopping talks pushing it. After all, they get a nice kickback from all those "recommended" stores. Don't forget you have to walk through those stores in order to get off/on the ship in many places. Cozumel and Roatan are 2 that pop into my mind.

Don't think for a second they don't pocket a pretty penny from those sales as well. As less people purchase on land and on the ship, the lines for pick up will no doubt be nonexistent, therefore, allowing Carnival to say that their new policy is working "brilliantly".

Forgot that they get a commission from sales at the stores they recommend.

this way they make their money with less work to do.