Alaska cruise with kids, with cruise and non-cruise people

traveltime3400

Hello! My in-laws love cruising and want to take an Alaskan cruise with us (family of 4). The kids would be 12 and 7. We haven't done a cruise, and probably wouldn't pick one but they really want to do this special vacation together. So we are trying to pick something that fits best. I think I have it narrowed down to NCL and Holland. Here are the good things of each one, from what I can tell:

NCL: In-laws really like them and they get a loyalty discount, less expensive/easier to leave out of Seattle, known for being kid friendly

Holland: Better food (?), better itinerary (all inside passage)

So, what cruise line would work best for cruise people, non-cruise people, and kids?

Thanks so much!

Can you post the itineraries?

BTW - you probably don't know if you are cruise people until you take one. You are going to an amazing place for your first cruise! Your kids are at an excellent age to experience Alaska!

Edited by Coral

We have cruised several times with our 7, 7, 6 year old boys! So far we have been on NCL, Carnival, Royal Carribean....next week we do Celebrity Alaska. We are nervous about this one...because my kids love the water slides and beachy stuff...though it will be different I know they will enjoy.

For kids its all about the boat. Though carnival has a bad rep when it comes to cruises...I can say that we have LOVED every single one of our carnival cruises. They cater to families. We have done the Haven suite on NCL, Family Suites on Royal....its funny but since we are a family of 5 our only option on the Carnival Magic was an ocean view.....and its still one of our favorite cruises! They just love the that water park! Also having that grill/food options next to the pools is soooo nice and convenient with kids.

Having said this...your kids will enjoy every single kids club...they all have something great to offer! As you can see we love cruising....its a no brainer for us! So easy with the kids and they have so much fun!

Hello! My in-laws love cruising and want to take an Alaskan cruise with us (family of 4). The kids would be 12 and 7. We haven't done a cruise, and probably wouldn't pick one but they really want to do this special vacation together. So we are trying to pick something that fits best. I think I have it narrowed down to NCL and Holland. Here are the good things of each one, from what I can tell:

NCL: In-laws really like them and they get a loyalty discount, less expensive/easier to leave out of Seattle, known for being kid friendly

Holland: Better food (?), better itinerary (all inside passage)

So, what cruise line would work best for cruise people, non-cruise people, and kids?

Thanks so much!

The HAL is round trip Vancouver? What NCL ship? Either of these could be great choices. Have you look at some Alaska details? Read trip reports? Those would be extremely helpful for you. In my opinion, Alaska is about how YOU spend your time and what act ivies you choose to occupy your time. Skimping here is something, I never recommend.

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel guides, along with Alaska Port of Call books. Every port is VERY different from the others, with a lot of different touring opportunities. Figure out, what is your interest. Involve the kids in your decision.

Hello! My in-laws love cruising and want to take an Alaskan cruise with us (family of 4). The kids would be 12 and 7. We haven't done a cruise, and probably wouldn't pick one but they really want to do this special vacation together.

Thanks so much!

To help in your decision, here are the kid's activities on the Ms Noordam, May 2015 in Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

HAL kids are kept busy for the entire day and have so much fun, they are only seen at dinner.

What HAL ship are you considering? I amy have a photo tour that I can share.

Here are our daily activities from May 2015 on HAL to help your planning:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

Thank you all for your great input so far! Good point that I don't know if we are cruise people or not!!! We tend to do our vacations very DIY (rent condos/cook meals/get off the beaten path), but that isn't to say that we can't be open minded and fall in love with a different way to have fun.

Here is the NCL itinerary:

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Sun Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea --- ---

Tue Juneau, Alaska 2:00 pm 10:00 pm

Wed Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 8:15 pm

Thu Cruise Glacier Bay --- ---

Fri Ketchikan, Alaska 6:00 am 1:30 pm

Sat Victoria, British Columbia 6:00 pm 11:59 pm

Sun Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

Here is the Holland itinerary:

Day Port

0 Vancouver, B.C., CA 05:00 PM

1 Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage CO

2 Tracy Arm, Alaska, US (SX SC) 10:00 AM-10:30 AM

2 Juneau, Alaska, US 01:00 PM-10:00 PM

3 Skagway, Alaska, US 07:00 AM-09:00 PM

4 Glacier Bay CO 07:00 AM-04:00 PM

5 Ketchikan, Alaska, US 10:00 AM-06:00 PM

6 Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage CO

7 Vancouver, B.C., CA 07:00 AM

So, similar ports. It seems like the biggest difference is more scenic cruising for Holland, and the mini stop at Victoria for NCL.

I would lean towards Holland, but my in-laws have only done NCL.....so it worries me to have them try something new that I haven't done before. It just looks better "on paper". My in-laws love the freestyle dining and the shows that they've seen on NCL. I read that with Holland you can choose freestyle dining. Are the shows of a similar quality?

So many details, thanks for putting up with all of my words. I am going to start researching the ports too.

Thank you all for your great input so far! Good point that I don't know if we are cruise people or not!!! We tend to do our vacations very DIY (rent condos/cook meals/get off the beaten path), but that isn't to say that we can't be open minded and fall in love with a different way to have fun.

Mon At Sea --- ---

Day Port

So, similar ports. It seems like the biggest difference is more scenic cruising for Holland, and the mini stop at Victoria for NCL.

I would lean towards Holland, but my in-laws have only done NCL.....so it worries me to have them try something new that I haven't done before. It just looks better "on paper". My in-laws love the freestyle dining and the shows that they've seen on NCL. I read that with Holland you can choose freestyle dining. Are the shows of a similar quality?

So many details, thanks for putting up with all of my words. I am going to start researching the ports too.

OK I have been on both these ships in Alaska. IF the embarkment port has a preference that may take priority?

I'll note some differences for you. HAL has a more scenic itinerary, where the Pearl, has the bulk of 2 open ocean sea days. This also has the greatest potential for rough sailing. The HAL Tracy Arm mention- REQUIRES you to purchase the add on ship tour- IF you want to see Tracy Arm (frankly it's necessary to take advantage of it? :) )

There is a more favorable, Ketchikan port time with HAL- reason, I recommend you determine- your port touring- before you make any decisions.

I mention- the "necessity" of taking tours. yes this is my opinion, and plenty of people don't. BUT- at the least- look over the ship shore excursion lists, and determine, for yourself, IF there is anything you really would like to see/do. Touring in Alaska is spectacular. Some have interests of wildlife and scenery- Alaska is the jackpot. :) If you do have tours of interest, also look at alternative options. You aren't limited to ship contracted tours.

Thank you! Out of curiosity, if we didn't purchase the Holland excursion to Tracy Arm, is there still pretty scenery to see from the main ship?

While Seattle is easier for us (NCL), the scenic cruising and potential for a smoother ride and port times seem better on Holland.

Mon At Sea --- ---

Day Port

If this is summer time do the HAL if Vancouver isn't too inconvenient. The two scenic cruise is well worth it, and the plus of "inside." I've done inside twice and outside roundtrip from Seattle once, the reality the inside is nice but the high points are the scenic and you get Glacier on both. As BQ said, planning the right port activities is the gravey for a memorable cruise.

I've thought about HAL many a time for the more "upscale" image of them, but always ended up at princess for the larger balance for the kids. If summer I got to believe HAL will also have an active kids program too.

I've cruised Alaska twice, once one way, all inside passage and, most recently, r/t out of Seattle, very similar to the NCL itinerary, but Tracy Arm, not Glacier Bay, both of mine on Princess.

Your kids are going to love either one. The one I just did I took my 10(almost 11) year old granddaughter. She would have nothing to do with children's activities, no way, no how. She is socially reserved. We had a great time on the ship, swimming in the pool, watching movies, playing trivia and bingo and going to one naturalist lecture.

What she loved and adored and will talk about and remember forever are the excursions we went on. We did the helicopter to dogsledding, evening whale watching, zip lining, rock climbing and rappelling, halibut fishing.

She even enjoyed the butterflies and Butchart Gardens in Victoria.

What she didn't want to spend any time on was scenic viewing of the glaciers or any scenic viewing at all. We spent about 15 minutes with binoculars looking for eagles.

I had done extensive research before my first one and that's why I picked one way, inside passage. I picked r/t out of Seattle to keep budget down a bit and my first time cruise enjoyed her cruise immensely!

Thank you! Out of curiosity, if we didn't purchase the Holland excursion to Tracy Arm, is there still pretty scenery to see from the main ship?

While Seattle is easier for us (NCL), the scenic cruising and potential for a smoother ride and port times seem better on Holland.

HAL does NOT enter Tracy Arm at all with the cruise ship. I'm a firm believer in taking advantage of itineraries. Of course, plenty of people do not purchase this.

You are inside passage sailing that whole morning until port arrival, with the same route repeated later by the boat tour.

Another significant difference is usually a VERY informative Ship Naturalist, where NCL does not have them.

However, don't be misled thinking the HAL, is "smooth" sailing. There is potential for rough sailing anytime you are on water. My "worse" trip actually was a round trip Vancouver, with many others, involving one of the sea days, round trip Seattle. That is NOT to say, "don't do a RT Seattle". I am offering a warning- that preventive measures need to be in place, in advance, for anyone prone to motion sickness. Always get your information from your health care professional, NOT this message board. :)

Uh oh, do I need to consider Princess too? :)

I can't thank everyone enough for this great information.

A general question about excursions....I think that my in-laws are not going to pick the more adventurous options (ex. helicopter flight, zip lining, kayaking), will there still be amazing-but-tame Alaska experiences to have?

A general question about excursions....I think that my in-laws are not going to pick the more adventurous options (ex. helicopter flight, zip lining, kayaking), will there still be amazing-but-tame Alaska experiences to have?

There are hundred's of excursions to choose from. Most don't take a lot of "effort". Again, take some time and look over a shore excursion list.

Uh oh, do I need to consider Princess too? :)

I can't thank everyone enough for this great information.

there are so many great excursions for every level. There is a very popular train ride in Skagway, for example. The ones we did this trip were all different than what the group I was with did last Alaskan cruise and I specifically chose active ones for my fearless granddaughter.

I chose Princess because that's where I get my biggest bang for the buck from being a repeat customer - and I like their "calmer" atmosphere. I also appreciate the naturalists they have speaking, but my granddaughter didn't like it quite as much as I did, lol.

I think, since you're really torn as it is between NCL and Holland America, I wouldn't add another choice into the mix. For me, I think, the times in port are slightly better, and it's nicer being in the insider passage longer, but not knowing what your in-laws are like, is the trade off worth it. I know for me it wouldn't be, 'cos as well as we get along, my m-i-l would be finding fault with every little thing and complaining about it every chance she got. So I would probably pick the one she wanted just to make her happy.

Hi traveltime3400!

My three kids (8, 14 and 17) are headed to Alaska on the NCL Pearl in a few weeks. This will be their second cruise to Alaska (but that was 8 years ago) and 8th overall. Most on NCL and I've been on HAL to Alaska also.

My kids would tell you that they are super excited for the ship and all the activities, entertainment and food associated with cruising! The beautiful Alaska scenery and wildlife take a back seat to what others would say is the ONLY reason to cruise to Alaska. Honestly, I don't think my kids are too much different from most at this young age. Given this, I will suggest that you consider NCL over HAL. NCL has a nice easygoing atmosphere with lots of family activities, as well as kids only activities. HAL, on the other hand, leans toward a more mature crowd and is definitely a more "traditional" cruising experience.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by mousecrazy

:15 pm

Day Port

Here are the On Locations (daily activities) for our May 2015 cruise with your same HAL itinerary to give you an idea of what there is to do on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

HAL does NOT enter Tracy Arm at all with the cruise ship.
To clarify..... Tracy Arm is 30 miles one way. The main cruise ship spend a little time at the entrance and then continues to Juneau.

There's a very small boat that comes along side for a mid-cruise transfer that takes deeper into the Arm to see Sawyer (if there is no Spring ice congestion). Then again, some may feel Mendenhall and Glacier Bay is enough glacier viewing... This mid-cruise excursion is one that is a must pre-book. With limited seating, it's a guarantee sellout as it saves the cruiser valuable Juneau port time.

Some will depart for Tracy Arm from Juneau. However Juneau to the mouth of Tracy Arm is 50 miles ONE WAY. Retracing the cruise ship 50 miles means many hours are lost and denies you time for Juneau activities (ie Mendenhall, whale watching, crab shack, etc....).

l40k_wZzVuc -0x8dcnk1TM ymZXlxYdHK8

I looked at Disney and the base price was double the cost of the others, which is way more than what I want to spend on this trip. Thanks for the suggestion, it is clearly known as the most kid-friendly! (And I hear adults have a lot of fun too)

I am actually leaning towards NCL, even with the sacrifice in views/itinerary compared to Holland. When I looked at the daily activities, it seems like there are much more group family activites on NCL. The purpose of this trip is quality time between grandparents and kids, as well as seeing the amazement of Alaska. It seems like there are more opportunities for that on NCL. I don't just want to stick the kids in the kids club.

Haven't booked it yet, so there is still time to go crazy contemplating. :D

Quality time with grandparents is awesome, but unless you have done other vacations with them remember that you will be in close proximity for an entire week (plus any pre- & post-cruise stays, travel etc.)

For me the absolute best thing about cruising with friends & family is to share activities when they are things enjoyed by all, but to split up and do your own thing when opinions differ. You can catch up over dinner and talk about the different things you did, pass phones/cameras around to see pics taken etc.

If you only stick to things that the in-laws are willing to do you risk turning your first cruise into the one that the kids whine about everyone else getting to go ziplining while they were stuck on a bus (example - I know some kids love bus tours and some grannies love ziplining!)

Excellent point, I definitely wouldn't want someone to miss something that would be very special for them just because all of us can't participate. But I am trying to pick a cruise that has more opportunities for group activities, to give us the option when we like.

I looked at Disney and the base price was double the cost of the others, which is way more than what I want to spend on this trip. Thanks for the suggestion, it is clearly known as the most kid-friendly! (And I hear adults have a lot of fun too)

I am actually leaning towards NCL, even with the sacrifice in views/itinerary compared to Holland. When I looked at the daily activities, it seems like there are much more group family activites on NCL. The purpose of this trip is quality time between grandparents and kids, as well as seeing the amazement of Alaska. It seems like there are more opportunities for that on NCL. I don't just want to stick the kids in the kids club.

Haven't booked it yet, so there is still time to go crazy contemplating. :D

What "group family activities" on the ship? Alternatively, you can really have some fantastic experiences with some of port time touring, as well.

I find far more similarities between HAL and NCL, than differences. A big plus with HAL are the "Alaska" programs they offer through the ship naturalist.

It is a tough choice perhaps, but you will have a GREAT trip no matter which you select. :)

Here are the "group" activities that grandparents + kids would enjoy (based on dailies posted online), that are outside of the kids club:

NCL

-Bowling

-More frequent movie showings

-Giant checkers and chess

-Family dodge ball

-Scavenger hunt

-Family cupcake decorating

-Family circus

-Arts and crafts

-Win, lose or draw (kid friendly?)

-Charades

-Family pizza making

-Magic workshop

-Family balloon twisting

-Junior ranger

Holland

-Tea ceremony

-Cooking shows*

-Flower arranging*

*younger child might not care for this

Both cruises

-Pool

-Library/games

-Ranger talk

-Crew talent show

-Towel folding

-Ping pong

I wouldn't even begin to expect that we do all of these, but it makes me feel good that we have the option for activities together if the interest is there. I am starting to feel that the greater selection on NCL trumps the better itinerary of Holland. I would lean in the other direction if it were a different group traveling together.