cruising single dinner question

glentally

Chances are very high that if you have early or late dining, you'll be seated at a large table, likely with other solo cruisers. When I have cruised solo, I've always done late dining and been seated at 8 or 10 tops with others. If you would prefer to not dine with others, you can do your time dining, where often you are not usually seated with other people, or if you have fixed dining, see the maitre'd on embarkation day to request a table change.

I have heard that tables for two are real close to each other. I'm ok with that.

Will I be able to sit at a table by myself like RCL or am I going to have to eat with someone?

I solo-ed on Triumph a couple of years ago and had ATD. Always got my own table at dinner, but had to share a big giant table during the one brunch I went to.

YMMV.

Chances are very high that if you have early or late dining, you'll be seated at a large table, likely with other solo cruisers. When I have cruised solo, I've always done late dining and been seated at 8 or 10 tops with others. If you would prefer to not dine with others, you can do your time dining, where often you are not usually seated with other people, or if you have fixed dining, see the maitre'd on embarkation day to request a table change.

sorry, forgot to mention I have YTD/ATD

Prior to sailing on my solo cruise, I sent the Maitre d' an email requesting a table for one but I had assigned dining. I only went to the MDR twice (the nights they had menu items that I liked), the other nights I ate at one of the other dining venues on the ship.

I have heard that tables for two are real close to each other. I'm ok with that.

Will I be able to sit at a table by myself like RCL or am I going to have to eat with someone?

The tables for two only seem to be on top of one another in the YTD areas. In the regular section they aren't really too much closer than any other tables, but that depends on the ship.

I only cruised solo once, and although I asked to be seated at a large table, I was always seated at my ogigionally assign table, and the MD kept trying to match me up with other solos.

Just an idea. I have done both, and I like dining with others better. Carnival does a great job putting solos together. If you do it the 1st night and don't like it you can get something by yourself for the rest of the nights.

You're correct. A "Table for 2" may as well be a 4 top. They literally pull a 4 top table 2 inches apart. My wife and I prefer to dine alone. Not that we're anti social, but I enjoy spending some 1x1 time with the mrs. getting my undivided attention.

Edited by adamt

• 4 weeks later...
I've done a few cruises solo with anytime dining and always had a table to myself.

Gadan,

Where you able to order at your pace? When I do solo I like to get in and out. They usually figure out my pace after one day.

Someone said in another post that they bring your entire meal all at once and keep parts of it stored hot or cold until you need it?

Just an idea. I have done both, and I like dining with others better. Carnival does a great job putting solos together. If you do it the 1st night and don't like it you can get something by yourself for the rest of the nights.

Thanks, I might at least try it. Only thing is I like to get in and out. Sitting at a large table will slow things down I am assuming? Do they wait until everyone shows up before taking orders? If so I don't have the patience to wait for someone to "maybe" show up.

Is it important that you eat in the MDR ? I cruise solo, and I also like to eat and go, plus control my portions and not waste food. For those reasons, I will usually opt to eat at the buffet, as they have a lot of the same choices as dinner. If I have had a late lunch, I might just go there and grab a salad, or a couple bites of something.

Unless I know others that happen to be on the same cruise, I have no desire to dine with strangers.

Thanks, I might at least try it. Only thing is I like to get in and out. Sitting at a large table will slow things down I am assuming? Do they wait until everyone shows up before taking orders? If so I don't have the patience to wait for someone to "maybe" show up.

That is under your control. I indicate after a few minutes I am ready to order the first day and that sets the pattern.

With ATD/YTD............You don't wait for others to show up.........

The wait Staff is there Quick.to start taking orders.........................

Most of my Cruises,are Solo I like ATD/YTD...........

I go to the Dining Room early,,,,I am waiting for them to

open the doors,,,,,,,,,I ask for a small table...........

You can ask for the same Wait Staff.each night...........

Tell them how you want your food bought to you....

Happy Cruising......................:)