Norwegian Cruise Line Boss Hints at Asia Move; Insists a la Carte Dining is Here to S

LauraS

We do a lot of 14 day cruises and you can usually see about 25 children on a ship full of passengers. I don't see a huge issue with children upsetting the mood in our specialty restaurants.

I can see how a 14 day cruise may have only 25 kids (really?) but most cruises of 7-10 days that I have been on there's hundreds of kids.

Personally, I can't eat a full 3 course meal anymore due to health issues and the portion size in the a la carte restaurant are just too much for me. So the restaurants changing to that works out well for - its now another option to me with lower prices.

Another thing - CC forum doesn't speak for all NCL passengers. The person you quoted (I still have them on ignore and I honestly have no plans to take them off soon) - should understand that there's passengers that sail who can't eat alot due to health or personal reasons and NCL wants to cater to them as well. Someone should not have to explain in detail why a la carte pricing works for them - if one doesn't want to pay a la carte pricing, that's what UDP/SDP is for. That's the new cover charge program replacing the old system and if one doesn't like that - well, NCL already gave them the proverbial brush off since they gave people a heads up before implementing them in October and January.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I don't eat in the MDR and when I go to Cagney's I have a salad, filet and baked potato, so the UDP/SDP works very well for me, at least until we see the new a la carte pricing. Even though the UDP/SDP works for me, it doesn't work for folks like you or, as another poster said, it works for those with children. We are all not cookie cutters of each other (some eat in the MDR, some don't, some like the a la carte idea and some don't, some have to know how much they are going to spend on their cruise and some don't) and we all have different likes and dislikes, just as we have different opinions. I feel everyone should be able to their opinion and no one should be chastised for their opinion.

But doesn't the UDP/SDP have to be purchased in advance? And do you have to buy a minimum of 3 meals?

No, it does not have to be purchased in advance. It can be purchased on the ship. Yes, it's a minimum of 3 dinner package.

Read about it here: http://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

and here: http://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Edited by LrgPizza

I don't eat in the MDR and when I go to Cagney's I have a salad, filet and baked potato, so the UDP/SDP works very well for me, at least until we see the new a la carte pricing. Even though the UDP/SDP works for me, it doesn't work for folks like you or, as another poster said, it works for those with children. We are all not cookie cutters of each other (some eat in the MDR, some don't, some like the a la carte idea and some don't, some have to know how much they are going to spend on their cruise and some don't) and we all have different likes and dislikes, just as we have different opinions. I feel everyone should be able to their opinion and no one should be chastised for their opinion.

I purposely did my 1st trip with NCL without buying the UDP to see if I truly needed for all upcoming trips with - and discover I didn't need it at all because the complimentary choices were just as good. This was before my health prognosis - so the 3/4 day SDP for 7 day trip or a la carte winds working well for me. Also, one look at the NCL announcement with the estimate costs and I can also guess it work out even better for me while within budget.

You're right - everyone's situation is different and is going to handled differently. What I'm not liking with some that are complaining about a la cart pricing (ok, most) is that instead of taking a good hard look at their eating & spending habits when they are on cruise vacation - in alot of the posts, a 3 day plan for one or two people will work out for them but the person would rather gripe that NCL made specialty dining more expensive. Maybe for them, but not for others that just eat one or two dishes/ courses for whole evening. At some point next year, they will finally get or just never - for those that don't mind SDP, a la carte pricing, complimentary dining or combimation of any of the 3; its not that hard to figure out right now...

We have UDP as a promo for upcoming cruise and it will work for us. I am not as concerned about dining times as we book early and that works for us. I am a wait and see first before worrying about the food prices though I am not sure if this land based pricing menu model will be something I will buy into. We have never had or worried about children in a specialty restaurant.

Hey, Frankie & Andy ... on foreign currency exchange & buying power of the Asian pax, China just devalued its RMB overnight - those cruises targeted at the wealthy group with money to burn is going to cost more. But, "That's Not Terrible" since you have no control over that at all. Same with market volatility of fuel prices - those seemed to be bigger beast to tame with than trimming food costs and raising onboard revenues and fees.

Good luck on getting your Secondary Public Offering price - looked like (someone) institutions ?? are doing a bit of profit-taking, stock price down roughly $2 a share or 3.3% today ... still high flying, more than twice the normal trading volume with 5 million shares traded since this morning, sliding below the SPO price earlier. https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ANCLH&ei=bADKVZO5B8Wie63IhugO&hl=en

http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/08/11/759624/10145570/en/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Announces-Pricing-of-Secondary-Public-Offering-by-Selling-Shareholders.html

Meanwhile, found this article - Gentings HK (Star Cruises) is definitely doing not too terribly with all the cash on hand, unlike NCL's position on debts.

https://www.fool.sg/2015/05/21/genting-hong-kong-limited-may-soon-book-a-massive-us1-69-billion-one-time-gain-what-does-it-mean-for-shareholders/

"Not Terrible" :D Not at all - could be far worst. :rolleyes:

I'm very confused about how this a la carte vs UDP is going to work. I have the UDP purchased for our next cruise for all 7 days. People on here are saying that it can be used in the a la carte restaurants, but the terms and conditions now say a 25% discount will be given on a la carte restaurant if you have the UDP/SDP. If that is really how it will work, I'm not going to be happy. The terms and conditions contradict each other.:confused:

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

Q. IN WHICH VENUES WILL THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is honored in all specialty restaurants with the exception of Ocean Blue, a la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based dining, mini bar and room service.

• 4 weeks later...
So where is the a'la carte menu and pricing???

It would be nice to see this first before making a decision on purchasing the dining package.

Just makes sense to me.

I know. I have been saying this forever. I want to know if a 4 course meal a la carte is more expensive than the previous cover charges.

I am looking forward to the a la carte dining. I usually only have either a soup or an appetiser and one main course. I rarely have a dessert as I don't eat sugar any more. My husband will, as always, continue to have his 3 courses. We may or may not find our bill is larger, smaller or the same as before. We will find out when the menus are released fully.

It is definitely about costs for NCL. I know that here in the UK different cuts of meat are sold at different prices. So a fillet steak would cost a fair bit more than a piece of rump of the same weight. Yet NCL has an 8oz fillet on the Cagney's menu for the same cover charge cost as a 5oz fillet. Didn't make any sense to me.

And there is another posible reason, by charging one cover price there were people ordering multiple amounts of each course. Some just to try something, and some out of plain greed and some out of spite just because they could. Either way it was adding up to a lot of waste that every one of us who dined in these restaurants with a flat cover charge was paying for.

I think they were faced with a huge price hike which would put many off from paying whilst still offering the opportunity to have multiples or changing things.

I too wondered how much "food waste" had to do with this decision. I'm not saying the desire to increase pricing right now was a good or bad decision, but you kind of have to wonder if there were other factors like food waste that somewhat brought on this change. I must say, I've seen some pretty wasteful eating on the few cruises I've been on ... At some point it's got to affect the bottom line. Aside from increasing profitability, I also wonder if NCL is attempting to slowly change their target audience; moving more to the upper middle-class & affluent demographic. It certainly looks like it based on the recent changes.

I too wondered how much "food waste" had to do with this decision. I'm not saying the desire to increase pricing right now was a good or bad decision, but you kind of have to wonder if there were other factors like food waste that somewhat brought on this change. I must say, I've seen some pretty wasteful eating on the few cruises I've been on ... At some point it's got to affect the bottom line. Aside from increasing profitability, I also wonder if NCL is attempting to slowly change their target audience; moving more to the upper middle-class & affluent demographic. It certainly looks like it based on the recent changes.

I just want to have the same meal for the same price as before. Lets see if it will be the same or more expensive with the a la carte.

I just want to have the same meal for the same price as before. Lets see if it will be the same or more expensive with the a la carte.

I know, me too. It ticks me off that my 3 taco combo at my local Mexican restaurant has gone from 5.99 to $7.99. I just want to have the same meal for the same price as before.

I know, me too. It ticks me off that my 3 taco combo at my local Mexican restaurant has gone from 5.99 to $7.99. I just want to have the same meal for the same price as before.

Pfft, could be worst - could've came with no lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, salsa, chips, fries, can of soda just mystery meat and tacos that don't hold up well with teaspoon of anything in it. All for $10 in NYC in a Mexican restaurant doubling as a Chinese one. *shrug*

I personally think that waste played into the decision. I think that a lot of it is that "it's free" syndrome....I'll take it and if I don't like it or can't finish it, it is okay, because it is free. I don't know about moving more to the upper middle-class and affluent demographic, because I think NCL would have to do a lot of overhauling of their ships, not just their menus, to compete with the likes of Celebrity or Crystal.

Good, its not just me noticing that NCL is raising prices in other areas but not really the fare to get 'better' customers for themselves. When one thinks about it - the mere price number per day of the DSC for the regular cabins is enough to weed people that like that amount, out. The a la carte pricing and SDP for specialty restaurants is just a 'take it or leave' - either the person and their group can afford it or they can't, pretty much leaving those with money to burn to eat in there.

There's different ways to get a better class of customer and NCL choose sticker shock in extra cost items to do it. Is it right or fair? Its their company that not a charity, so can do whatever they want within legal bounds and they're doing fine because people are still sailing on them despite everything. So they must be doing something right to still attract customers, both new and repeats.