Seasickness Tablets

If you think seasickness might be a problem I'd say bring your own so you're ready, especially if it's about kids. I believe the ship offers meclizine, brand name is Bonine, also called Dramamine II or "non-drowzy Dramanine". This stuff all works very well.

(Spoken by one who still vividly remembers motion sickness misery since childhood tho' luckily much better now:) )

Edited by pspercy

I would also recommend bringing your own stuff (and try it out first!) When I was on Grandeur last November, I got some patches at the last second. After two days of wearing them, I couldn't focus at all in my right eye (the side the patch was on) - couldn't even see the menu in the MDR. I had to take it off and got so sick because of it. Turns out, it runs in my family and I should have just gotten a different brand. What a waste of money/time.

I agree with the others. Bring your own. My son gets violently ill on the sea, but loves cruising. The last two cruises, he starting taking Bonine the day BEFORE the cruise.....omg....no more issues for him. :) (Dramamine never worked for him).

I would also recommend bringing your own stuff (and try it out first!) When I was on Grandeur last November, I got some patches at the last second. After two days of wearing them, I couldn't focus at all in my right eye (the side the patch was on) - couldn't even see the menu in the MDR. I had to take it off and got so sick because of it. Turns out, it runs in my family and I should have just gotten a different brand. What a waste of money/time.

Since I know the patch we use has blurred vision as a side effect- what other patch is available that does not have blurred vision?

Buy your own before hand and start taking them right before bed 2 nights before the cruise. Then your body will acclimate to them. They are wonderful!! Not sure what brand I use, but just knowing they will cure me, keeps me happy. If you start to get sick, just take one and you will be better within 15 minutes. They do make you sleepy though, so be prepared and start early. HAPPY CRUISIN'!!!

Also, if you are planning any sailing/snorkeling/scuba diving, take them with you on your excursion.

My hubby also needs this type of med. We've found the 24 hour less drowsy one, even generic version works great but to play it safe he takes it at bedtime. He's never had an issue with feeling groggy or out of it. I buy whichever brand is cheapest, usually generic of dramie, but always 24 hour one.

My 14 year old also seems prone to motion sickness and last few times we needed it for her it's worked well. Same bedtime schedule, never reported being sleepy.

I think there is only one patch for seasickness and I used it one time. Never again! I felt awful- blurry vision (so bad I could not read anything) and very dry mouth. And just felt bad with it on.

Switched to Bonine and never have a problem. It does not make me sleepy.

sorry OP...I know you got your answer but please allow me to put my two cents in on this one...

I have gotten sick from my very first cruise...equilibrium off, upset stomach, throwing up really really bad, just looking at the waves gets to me but I love cruising...tried everything...Dramamine worked but if I didn't take it same time every day it would be hours before it kicked in....

finally I tried the patch and VOILA it works pretty good...Put it on when I wake up on Embarkation day...change it every 3 to 4 days and I'm good to go...

still sometimes can't eat due to upset stomach but crackers and ginger-ale help that....and sometimes I just don't feel like myself...

I will deal with those little side effects as long as I can still CRUISE!!

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

My wife sometimes gets a sick feeling just riding in the car. On our first cruise, she was so concerned about sea sickness, she got every possible medication she could - OTC and prescription - bonine, dramamine and scopolamine and maybe something else. She never needed anything, even during one stormy night which sent or then 11yo granddaughter back to the room. I even felt a bit "goofy" at dinner that night, and I never get sick - I used to have a sailboat and spent the night on it through two hurricanes on it (slept like baby). Ironically, my problem is always back on land after the cruise - I walk around like a drunk fro several days.

My suggestions - it's lie an umbrella - take it along. If you don't need it, no harm, but you'll be glad if you do.

My wife sometimes gets a sick feeling just riding in the car. On our first cruise, she was so concerned about sea sickness, she got every possible medication she could - OTC and prescription - bonine, dramamine and scopolamine and maybe something else. She never needed anything, even during one stormy night which sent or then 11yo granddaughter back to the room. I even felt a bit "goofy" at dinner that night, and I never get sick - I used to have a sailboat and spent the night on it through two hurricanes on it (slept like baby). Ironically, my problem is always back on land after the cruise - I walk around like a drunk fro several days.

My suggestions - it's lie an umbrella - take it along. If you don't need it, no harm, but you'll be glad if you do.

I sadly have too much experience with motion sickness, and my advice is to start taking meclizine (Bonine or Dramamine non drowsy formula) the night BEFORE you travel, and continue to take one pill every 12 hours without fail until a day after you return to land. There is just something sneaky about motion sickness that once it gets "in you" it's hard to shake off, even with meds. Better to stop it before it has a chance to occur. Just my two cents - I don't have any side effects with Bonine.

Oh good, now I have a name for what completely knocked me out for an entire day on the Mariner. :eek:

It has the same effect on me as well, despite being 'non-drowsy'. So I take one a day, just before bed, starting the night before the cruise, and have no issues.

Mike

I sadly have too much experience with motion sickness, and my advice is to start taking meclizine (Bonine or Dramamine non drowsy formula) the night BEFORE you travel, and continue to take one pill every 12 hours without fail until a day after you return to land. There is just something sneaky about motion sickness that once it gets "in you" it's hard to shake off, even with meds. Better to stop it before it has a chance to occur. Just my two cents - I don't have any side effects with Bonine.

We do the same thing. I just bought a bottle of 100 on Amazon for $7.50.

I use bonine but I can't buy them here in the UK 😐 the first time I cruised I went to US and brought them there but I was taking them in the morning and was always falling asleep 😁 I read on here that you need to take them before you go to bed and from then on that's what I do , Bonine have been the best that I have used and I happily pay to have them shipped over 👍🏼

It has the same effect on me as well, despite being 'non-drowsy'. So I take one a day, just before bed, starting the night before the cruise, and have no issues.

Mike

Heh. I think it's officially marketed at "less-drowsy".