Free Shore Excursions

cstrick

I enjoy excursions. However, on some cruise lines, the included excursions are great for first time visitors. On repeat visits, I like to see something different. Some cruise lines offer different excursions at extra cost. Considering that Oceania has raised prices with the O Life, is that included excursion really free? With O Life, I will be paying for an excursion whether or not I take it. I gave up another cruise line that charged me extra for an included excursion that I didn't take. I would like to go back to basics. Cruise fare including cabin, food, and entertainment. I don't mind paying extra for drinks, excursions, fancy specialty restaurants, etc. I like to be able to pick and choose what I want from a cruise. For the time being, I will not book on Oceania until I see what O Life brings.

I don't call the O Life excursions "free" but think of them as "included". We booked a cruise for next year under the O Life program and figured it out that we're still coming slightly ahead when you add the gratuities and internet to the package. When you're looking at the list of excursions, remember the ones under the program do not include OC or OE which limits your choices in some ports. I left Regents because of the included excursions but figure on a 10 day cruise with four excursions included, we still have ports for DIY tours. We'll see how it goes.

Oceania tours are a crap shoot. Some have been very good, while others have been painful, at best. I would rather not have the added feature as part of the overall package price and pay the outrageous O fee, when I want to do one of their tours.

because of this O Life. We just prefer to book private tours. As a disclaimer though, we are using Oceania tours in the South Pacific as I feel they will have captured the best tour operators on those little islands. Of course...of course..O Life does not apply to that cruise! That's life.

I haven't paid much attention to the Olife tours because they do not apply to our next O cruise (Oct 16). But I wouldn't just jump to the conclusion that if they are offered, you should leave O ... maybe if you hadn't liked O in the past but it has seemed to me that you DID.

I did see a post yesterday or the day before that indicated that this is a trial that is expiring, which would be another reason not to bail because of it.

It hasn't seemed to add a lot extra to the fare whether you use them or not. (I'm bearing in mind that you are usually in an OS which could mean a significant fare difference for you.)

I just wouldn't say we are "gone" because of this innovation. I'd wait and see.

But that's me.

Mura

This was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back for me. For the last couple of years I have noted that they generally are cutting the length of the cruises, yet keeping the price about the same..about. This is in effect a price increase. While I understand a price increase, I have not been particularly happy about less days as I like to be gone more days. It seems now that I need to have a back to back to accomplish this, thus spending much more for something I don't necessarily want.

The OLife is not for me, nor is it for others.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, I love Oceania and I do love the Owners Suite. There are two negatives against one positive for me.

That being said, I have not found just what I would like as far as cruising is concerned. We do have a rather long Oceania in March and then we will be on the Explorer (Regent) at the end of the year. In the meantime I have my eyes wide open. Since Joe and I have cruised on almost every line, we kind of know the pros and cons. I would say in the future it will be all about the itinerary. When you pay for an Owners Suite, even the $600 extra for tours you don't want is an insult.

As I said somewhere else, I think I said it..but if they were to include the liquor, I would be most happy. We each have two martinis a day and a glass or two of wine, so we have to get the liquor package. I would love included well drinks as I don't do anything fancy.

Everyone has their wishes and wants...however, the good fairy doesn't always fulfill them! LOL.

They have not started yet so no one can compare or say what they are like

I believe you can choose from the list some exceptions apply

The O Life included excursions are the same as the regular ones that would be no extra cost if you had purchased the "passport" package.