Going to MDR later or earlier than assigned time?

Sully247365

We are currently wait listed for your time dining on the sunshine. How strict is the dining room if we are occasionally late (or possibly earlier) to our assigned dining time (if we get the 6 or 8:15)? We are a family of five- 3 kiddos, one of whom sometimes naps and could effect dinner plans. Also, anyone have an opinion on our chances of getting off the wait list and assigned your time dining? Thank you!

As for showing up early, you can, but you will find the doors closed. They generally open the doors right on time. You cannot go in early. As for late, it really messes up the waiters. Like the other poster said, if you are going to be over 15 min late, probably best to head to the buffet.

[quote name='Sully247365']We are currently wait listed for your time dining on the sunshine. How strict is the dining room if we are occasionally late (or possibly earlier) to our assigned dining time (if we get the 6 or 8:15)? We are a family of five- 3 kiddos, one of whom sometimes naps and could effect dinner plans. Also, anyone have an opinion on our chances of getting off the wait list and assigned your time dining? Thank you![/quote]
Several beat me to it! As other have said, early will be a line, later than 15 minutes is not good.
Lido may be a good alternative if you cannot get YTD... On embarkation day they do give you a chance to plead your case at one of the dining rooms, it will be in the fun times...usually around 1 or 2pm. Edited by bobsfamily

With young kids I would do the 6:00 dining over late dining.

The young ones can have dinner at Camp Carnival, instead of the MDR. Ours choose each day whether they want to eat with us, or their new friends. Camp dinner is at 6:00. So, if they would like to have dinner at camp, everyone would still be eating dinner at the same time.

You really do sound like YTD people.
As many have said if you go before your assigned time either the doors will be closed or there will be people (that had early) sitting at your table. If you are late and are seated with others they will be made to wait to give you a chance to arrive. If you are at a table without others your late arrival will thru the wait staff off. If you have ever done the "Behind the Fun" you would better understand how assembly line works.

[quote name='springs741']You really do sound like YTD people.
As many have said if you go before your assigned time either the doors will be closed or there will be people (that had early) sitting at your table. If you are late and are seated with others they will be made to wait to give you a chance to arrive. If you are at a table without others your late arrival will thru the wait staff off. If you have ever done the "Behind the Fun" you would better understand how assembly line works.[/QUOTE]

Assembly line is right. Don't know when CCL went to frenetic dining but it sure has changed the dining experience. I am guessing it has to do with significant cuts in staffing. It has been a while since I have had anything but freestyle dinning on NCL where service is still offered. So I am guessing that this change has occurred on all of the mainstream cruise lines with assigned dining.

Dining on the Dream was pretty much like convention dining. Service is pretty much gone. A long way from the crumb scraping days of old. Just don't miss the bread basket when it comes around because that second opportunity is probably 30 to 40 minutes away. I learned to get all that i wanted for dinner the first time around.

[quote name='rhelms']Just don't miss the bread basket when it comes around because that second opportunity is probably 30 to 40 minutes away. I learned to get all that i wanted for dinner the first time around.[/quote]
I remember that but not sure which ship or which cruise line. But on our Carnival Valor cruise last month, the bread basket was actually left on our table, the traditional way. I thought Carnival changed their bread policy back.

[quote name='rhelms']Assembly line is right. Don't know when CCL went to frenetic dining but it sure has changed the dining experience. I am guessing it has to do with significant cuts in staffing. It has been a while since I have had anything but freestyle dinning on NCL where service is still offered. So I am guessing that this change has occurred on all of the mainstream cruise lines with assigned dining.

Dining on the Dream was pretty much like convention dining. Service is pretty much gone. A long way from the crumb scraping days of old. Just don't miss the bread basket when it comes around because that second opportunity is probably 30 to 40 minutes away. I learned to get all that i wanted for dinner the first time around.[/QUOTE]

Once dining on a cruise shift shifted from strictly two seating assigned dining to buffet or anytime dining the entire earlier experience crashed. Old style dining meant that all food service workers specialized in a single experience. The chefs knew exactly how many people were eating at any one time, food was served on a tightly controlled scheduled, people actual enjoyed the stretched out 5 course experience, kids tastes were rarely factored into the mix, the menu was much tighter with minimal choices so all the expense could be focused on several items.

Fast forward and dining is now all about "feeding" the hordes quickly, with multiple choices, throwing in special diets, special requests, kids menus, flexible scheduling, and everything has to be fast....sitting down to a leisurely meal doesn't appear to be on many passenger's agendas. All the earlier ambiance died a painful slow death (and I congratulate Carnival for still trying really hard to make the dining experience something more than the banquet style of a church social).

To the OP...if you get a scheduled dining time do try and speak to the matre' d. If you can't get YTD plan on using the buffet if the kids are setting your dinner schedule...otherwise you'll drive yourself, your spouse, and others in the dining room crazy since your kids seem to run the show.

[quote name='Sully247365']We are currently wait listed for your time dining on the sunshine. How strict is the dining room if we are occasionally late (or possibly earlier) to our assigned dining time (if we get the 6 or 8:15)? We are a family of five- 3 kiddos, one of whom sometimes naps and could effect dinner plans. Also, anyone have an opinion on our chances of getting off the wait list and assigned your time dining? Thank you![/quote]
We were wait listed for your time dining on our Valor cruise last month. But when we checked in, all 6 of us got the YTD.

[quote name='rhelms']Assembly line is right. Don't know when CCL went to frenetic dining but it sure has changed the dining experience. I am guessing it has to do with significant cuts in staffing. It has been a while since I have had anything but freestyle dinning on NCL where service is still offered. So I am guessing that this change has occurred on all of the mainstream cruise lines with assigned dining.

Dining on the Dream was pretty much like convention dining. Service is pretty much gone. A long way from the crumb scraping days of old. Just don't miss the bread basket when it comes around because that second opportunity is probably 30 to 40 minutes away. I learned to get all that i wanted for dinner the first time around.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear you had poor experiences with fixed MDR seating on ships ... that has NOT been the case in our experience. On all 10 of our cruises we've had fixed seating and always had good service no matter which line it was. It's never felt "frentic". Due to staffing cuts it may not be as fast as it once was but the service has always been gracious. For us, the evening meal is a part of our evening entertainment so we take the time to enjoy the food, the staff and our tablemates.:)

Freestyle dinning only on NCL is the reason we [U]won't[/U] sail that line.:eek:

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']Once dining on a cruise shift shifted from strictly two seating assigned dining to buffet or anytime dining the entire earlier experience crashed. Old style dining meant that all food service workers specialized in a single experience. The chefs knew exactly how many people were eating at any one time, food was served on a tightly controlled scheduled, people actual enjoyed the stretched out 5 course experience, kids tastes were rarely factored into the mix, the menu was much tighter with minimal choices so all the expense could be focused on several items.

Fast forward and dining is now all about "feeding" the hordes quickly, with multiple choices, throwing in special diets, special requests, kids menus, flexible scheduling, and everything has to be fast....sitting down to a leisurely meal doesn't appear to be on many passenger's agendas. All the earlier ambiance died a painful slow death (and I congratulate Carnival for still trying really hard to make the dining experience something more than the banquet style of a church social).[/QUOTE]

Well said ... :)

[quote name='garsny']Sometimes we are hungry early. They will let us in the early seating,if we explain. Have late dining, but hungry now.[/quote]
In that case, I would go Lido and have some (big) snacks.

[quote name='garsny']Sometimes we are hungry early. They will let us in the early seating,if we explain. Have late dining, but hungry now.[/quote]

I'm surprised to hear this has worked for you. How would they know where to seat you?

I do know we showed up for ATD (on Triumph) with 1 extra (who had late dining, but we were hoping he could eat with us) and we were told it was just not possible to seat someone who was not in that dinner service.

[quote name='garsny']Sometimes we are hungry early. They will let us in the early seating,if we explain. Have late dining, but hungry now.[/QUOTE]

Isn't someone sitting at your assigned table?

If you're hungry NOW, why not get a snack from Lido or room service to tide you over.

[quote name='summersigh']I'm sorry to hear you had poor experiences with fixed MDR seating on ships ... that has NOT been the case in our experience. On all 10 of our cruises we've had fixed seating and always had good service no matter which line it was. It's never felt "frentic". Due to staffing cuts it may not be as fast as it once was but the service has always been gracious. For us, the evening meal is a part of our evening entertainment so we take the time to enjoy the food, the staff and our tablemates.:)

Freestyle dinning only on NCL is the reason we [U]won't[/U] sail that line.:eek:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, summersigh, in 14 cruises on Carnival, we have never had poor service. It may seem slower these days with less staff, but we're always pleased with service in MDR.

The last 3 years, we've had a table for 2 and are finished way before the other tables that our waitstaff has.

[quote name='Sparky2']Isn't someone sitting at your assigned table?

If you're hungry NOW, why not get a snack from Lido or room service to tide you over.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with them asking to switch to early dining for the night? Never hurts to ask. As long as they are polite, and accepting, if the answer is "no"

As to how it is possible: In both cruises I've been on, I've noticed tables that remained empty during early dining (never even set). If the wait staff can accommodate them, why wouldn't they make a customer happy and put them at an empty table?

I don't see how going up to the wait staff or maitre'd and saying (even politely) I'm hungry now is acceptable etiquette for the dining room.

We always choose late. Based on our dinner habits @ home, we rarely eat dinner @ 6pm. But if we find ourselves hungry, there's pizza, the deli, the buffet, room service, etc. I think if you pick an assigned time to dine in the MDR, go at that time and be ON TIME. Otherwise, choose anytime dining and you can go when you want. Yes the dining room staff will likely try to accommodate you in order to spare ticking off a passenger. Heaven forbid that. Doesn't make it right or polite to ask IMO.