New York to Southampton 29th October 15

Fishermanswife

Even if you call Cunard UK enquiring about booking this cruise, they are still saying 4 formal nights. Asking about the Jazz theme they talked to me about the artists who will be on board and the concerts. When I specifically asked if the jazz theme will impact the cruise in any other way, I was told no, everything else is as usual and there is no obligation to participate in anything of the jazz theme.

I would contend that a seriously relaxed dress code (if that is indeed the case) is an obligation to participate in the jazz theme... :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with Cunard - what a waste of my time:mad: The Diamond rep fluffed me off to an agent who had to put me on hold while he looked it up. Yes, an emergency notification had gone out regarding this. I said that Cunard needed to get their act together. The pre-cruise docs and the voyage personalizer stated one thing and Cunard was now saying another. Cunard touts their formality and that is why we choose Cunard and why should I pay all this money to Cunard when I could find some cheaper line who didn't have a dress code. These guys have a script and if you detour from it they don't have answers. All he could do was let his supervisor know. I told him to let his supervisor know that I was one very ******* off Diamond member.

Next stop - The World Club office on the ship.

I think we are all going to have to wait and see what happens once we get onboard.

I've been in contact via email with someone I know in the Entertainment dept onboard QM. One theory is, 'Blue Note' will be performing several special late night performances in the G32 . Maybe the dress code 'is only relaxed during' these late night performances :confused:

My VP states four formal ( which I thought was rather unusual as it's usually three on the crossings)

My theory is; There will still have to be the usual round of CWC and officer's cocktail parties, not forgetting one or two themed Balls in the Queens Room.

Being the daughter of Nat King Cole ,I would have put Natalie Cole down as an international headliner act, I would have thought her performance/s would have merited a formal evening whilst onboard a transatlantic crossing. :confused:

Just to add; With all this confusion I feel just as annoyed as one or two others on here who are booked on this crossing. But I've decided not to let it impact on my enjoyment of the trip.

I don't own a pair of jeans other than those I occasionally wash the car in ;)

The informal evenings don't bother me as I'll still be wearing a tie, knowing the demographic of Cunard guests who'll be on this crossing, if anyone does choose to wear denim jeans they'll be designer :cool:

Tempest in a teapot. You'd think Cunard was requiring you to wear jeans. Enjoy the jazz and calm down.

I don't really enjoy jazz music. I do enjoy the formality that comes with a Cunard transatlantic crossing.

I haven't had any time off in over 2 years due to working full-time while completing a postgraduate degree. This trip is a treat to myself for graduating. It was sold to me as having 4 formal nights, I love formal nights. It's why I prefer to cruise with Cunard rather than the other lines. True, I will still enjoy myself on this trip, but had I known I would have booked a different trip and it is a disappointment. And the fact that Cunard can't give anyone a conclusive answer or straighten this out only adds to the annoyance.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I am NOT going to let it affect my trip but Cunard is sending mixed messages here. Don't show the glitzy pictures of passengers in formal wear or publish two dress codes. This is a regular crossing which co-incidentally happens to highlight jazz. Crossings are known for their evening formality.

I just spoke with Cunard (UK). Travel Agents were informed of change to Formal Nights on Monday (14th). It is correct they say that there is just one formal night and 6 informal nights.

I made a complaint as Mrs has bought new dresses and I have arranged White Star to pick up my case early so as to avoid having to take dress clothes. Never going Cunard again. Their customer service is rubbish!

I think we are all going to have to wait and see what happens once we get onboard.

I've been in contact via email with someone I know in the Entertainment dept onboard QM. One theory is, 'Blue Note' will be performing several special late night performances in the G32 . Maybe the dress code 'is only relaxed during' these late night performances :confused:

My VP states four formal ( which I thought was rather unusual as it's usually three on the crossings)

My theory is; There will still have to be the usual round of CWC and officer's cocktail parties, not forgetting one or two themed Balls in the Queens Room.

Being the daughter of Nat King Cole ,I would have put Natalie Cole down as an international headliner act, I would have thought her performance/s would have merited a formal evening whilst onboard a transatlantic crossing. :confused:

these are my thoughts, posted on another forum

Perhaps the answer depends on your question to Cunard !

who may be innocently answering it correctly.

How many Formals on M525B 22nd October to 29th Southampton to NY Answer 3 Normal dress code applies for the others

How many Formals on M525C 22nd Oct to 5th November Southampton to NY to Southampton (Round Trip) Answer 4 (In Total) 3 Formal for days to 29th October then from 29th October to Nov 5 1 formal and rest Relaxed code re Jeans/Jacket

How many Formals on M526 29th October to 5th November NY to Southampton (Blue Note Crossing) Answer 1 Relaxed dress code for remainder Jeans etc with jacket.

How many formals on M526A 29th October to 12 November NY to Southampton to NY ( Round Trip) Answer 4 in Total 1 for 29th to 5th Nov with rest being relaxed and 3 for 5th to 12 Nov with rest being normal dress code.

Although it is usual for the Cocktail parties to be on Formal Nights, I have had many invites with the dress code being informal to a cocktail party.

Cant really see what all the fuss is about,

Are Cunard forcing their passengers to dress down ? Its an option specifically for the Blue Note theme.

Edited by Pennbank

Although it is usual for the Cocktail parties to be on Formal Nights, I have had many invites with the dress code being informal to a cocktail party.

Cant really see what all the fuss is about,

Are Cunard forcing their passengers to dress down ? Its an option specifically for the Blue Note theme.

The informal theme is ship-wide, regardless of whether you're into the whole Blue Note Jazz thing. I guess we could still show up dressed in black tie and evening gowns on the nights we expected there to be a formal night even though it's officially an informal night. I know the saying is "you can never be overdressed or overeducated", but it would still be awkward. :rolleyes:

Edited by SylviaB

Hi Bell Boy. The onboard performance schedule can be viewed here: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-types/speciality-cruises/blue-note-full-details/

(Click on link there for schedule)

That official Cunard web page also states "•One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)"

Just a heads-up regarding the other Blue Note featured crossings scheduled for 1 Aug 2016 and 25 October 2016 --- based on that quoted webpage the dress code seems to be same for all three voyages so you might want to check with Cunard prior if the dress code as important to you as it is with most Cunard passengers :)

I understand the frustration expressed on this thread by the OP and other passengers booked on this crossing, and I'm sorry for your disappointment. Tsk-tsk Cunard!

Salacia

Hi Bell Boy. The onboard performance schedule can be viewed here: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-types/speciality-cruises/blue-note-full-details/

(Click on link there for schedule)

That official Cunard web page also states "•One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)"

Just a heads-up regarding the other Blue Note featured crossings scheduled for 1 Aug 2016 and 25 October 2016 --- based on that quoted webpage the dress code seems to be same for all three voyages so you might want to check with Cunard prior if the dress code as important to you as it is with most Cunard passengers :)

I understand the frustration expressed on this thread by the OP and other passengers booked on this crossing, and I'm sorry for your disappointment. Tsk-tsk Cunard!

Salacia

Hi, Salacia.

One detail worth mentioning is that link you provided to the details for the Blue Note Jazz at Sea voyage is readily found from the home page of Cunard's web site for North America. But the link to the details on the home page of Cunard's UK web site displays a different page which simply states the following about the Blue Note Jazz at Sea voyage.

Blue Note Jazz at Sea

We are proud to announce an exciting entertainment partnership, which will debut on our flagship, Queen Mary 2, on 29 October 2015.

Guests onboard will embark on a very special Transatlantic Crossing, featuring intimate jazz performances by multiple Grammy® Award-winning vocalist Natalie Cole and Blue Note’s 75th Anniversary All-Star band comprised of Robert Glasper, Lionel Loueke, Marcus Strickland, Kendrick Scott, Keyon Harrold and Derrick Hodge. President of Blue Note Records, Don Was, who himself is a celebrated musician and Grammy® award winning producer, will also sail during this special musical voyage and perform with the band.

No mention of the dress code on this page from the UK web site about the Blue Note Jazz at Sea voyage.

Most of us on the west side of the Atlantic have probably been aware of the modified dress code for some time now because of what is shown on cunard.com. I suspect this is news to many of those in the UK because of what is shown on cunard.co.uk instead.

If those in the UK follow the link you provided, they can see the mention of the modified dress code, but they would have know that page exists first. Perhaps there is some way to find that page while browsing the UK web site, but so far I have not been able to find it that way.

Regards,

John.

As bluemarble says, finding the adjusted dress code for this cruise on Cunard UK is not self-evident.

It can only be found if going via "The Cunard Experience" followed by clicking the link for "Musical Event Cruises" and finally clicking on "Learn More About the Artists" which then leads you this page:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-types/music-cruises/blue-note-full-details/ where it states

"One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)"

If you search for the cruise itself via date or destination tools, you would not come across it. I've tried clicking every link with details there of the jazz theme. At no point during the booking process is the adjusted dress code made clear.

Anyone booking from the UK who is not particularly bothered about the details of the Jazz cruise or the artists, will be very unlikely to come across this page.

In contrast, people booking from the US were informed of the adjusted dress code during the booking process.

Ah, yes, I see it now. The "Learn more about the artists" link on the UK web site provides more details about the Blue Note Jazz at Sea voyage and does mention the modified dress code. So one can find that information by browsing the UK web site, but I agree that's not particularly self-evident.

Regards,

John.

Playing around I came across this site https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Put in our cruise and it states the dress code. Those of u on a B2B have a problem, they have not decided yet.

Good, it looks like Cunard are making progress. They have finally updated that dress code document on ask.cunard.com to show the dress code for voyage M526 as "1 Formal & 6 Informal". Up until a day or two ago, that document was still showing voyage M526 as 4 Formal and 3 Informal. Now if they would update Voyage Personaliser to show the same thing, that would be helpful.

Edit: They have removed any mention of the balls scheduled for voyage M526 from that dress code document since they have compressed the dress code for voyage M526 to a single line rather than a day-by-day schedule. Not sure what (if anything) to make of that.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Playing around I came across this site https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Put in our cruise and it states the dress code. Those of u on a B2B have a problem, they have not decided yet.

I am on the westbound home and according to the pre-cruise docs there are 3 formal nights but then the docs for the eastbound (Blue Note) say 4 nights - so I guess anything goes:eek:

Edited by lannp
typo

Good, it looks like Cunard are making progress. They have finally updated that dress code document on ask.cunard.com to show the dress code for voyage M526 as "1 Formal & 6 Informal". Up until a day or two ago, that document was still showing voyage M526 as 4 Formal and 3 Informal. Now if they would update Voyage Personaliser to show the same thing, that would be helpful.

Edit: They have removed any mention of the balls scheduled for voyage M526 from that dress code document since they have compressed the dress code for voyage M526 to a single line rather than a day-by-day schedule. Not sure what (if anything) to make of that.

Regards,

John.

I know this probably sounds silly, but isn't the code for M526 actually 1 Formal and 6 smart casual rather than 6 informal? (Cunard defines informal dress this way:

"Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests." -copied from

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Smart casual code on six nights of this crossing is defined as "jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them". (Interesting to note there was no suggestions regarding women's attire.)

This should make for a very interesting array of styles in the evening.:eek::)

Salacia

I know this probably sounds silly, but isn't the code for M526 actually 1 Formal and 6 smart casual rather than 6 informal? (Cunard defines informal dress this way:

"Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests." -copied from

https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code

Smart casual code on six nights of this crossing is defined as "jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them". (Interesting to note there was no suggestions regarding women's attire.)

This should make for a very interesting array of styles in the evening.:eek::)

Salacia

Agreed, Salacia.

The dress code is actually designated as "Smart Casual" in the description of the "Blue Note Jazz at Sea" voyage, presumably to provide for the distinction that denim pants are going to be allowed.

But at this point, I am encouraged that Cunard have at least updated the dress code document on ask.cunard.com from "4 formal & 3 Informal" to "1 Formal & 6 Informal" for voyage M526. That may be the best we can expect for now, since "Smart Casual" is not yet in Cunard's official dress code definitions apart from what is apparently being newly defined on-the-fly for this "Blue Note Jazz at Sea" voyage.

Regards,

John.

The QM2 dress code document found at https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/dress_code_all has now been updated to show the day-by-day details and a revised ball schedule for voyage M526.

29-Oct-2015 Informal

30-Oct-2015 Formal

31-Oct-2015 Informal - Holloween [sic] Ball

01-Nov-2015 Informal

02-Nov-2015 Informal

03-Nov-2015 Informal

04-Nov-2015 Informal

Cunard has been dumbing down the dress code since the withdrawal of the QE2. Fortunately, dress codes are minimums not maximums. I am not booked on this crossing, but if I was I would pay no attention to this nonsense and dress in a traditional manner. I have never gone to dinner on a Cunard ship without a jacket and tie and I have no intention of doing so. Perhaps as a protest, those who enjoy the formality of Cunard should wear traditional formal wear every night - except the first and last, of course - as a protest.

Cunard has been dumbing down the dress code since the withdrawal of the QE2. Fortunately, dress codes are minimums not maximums. I am not booked on this crossing, but if I was I would pay no attention to this nonsense and dress in a traditional manner. I have never gone to dinner on a Cunard ship without a jacket and tie and I have no intention of doing so. Perhaps as a protest, those who enjoy the formality of Cunard should wear traditional formal wear every night - except the first and last, of course - as a protest.

The problem with your argument is that the last night of the cruise was initially deemed as Formal which was a crazy decision with everybody needing to pack for disembarkation the next day. That is taking formality a bit too far.

Perhaps as a protest, those who enjoy the formality of Cunard should wear traditional formal wear every night - except the first and last, of course - as a protest.

We just booked this as a R/T....nothing was mentioned about the change in dress code. I'm guessing that 1/2 the ship will be in jeans and the other half is going to be wondering what the hell happened. It's going to be hard to carry on as normal, since I have no idea which nights were supposed to be formal. :)