Change of MDR menus?

kevinyork

Weve just booked for the Eclipse May 16. This will be our 5th Eclipse/Celebrity 14 night sailing in 3 years. Whilst we like the food in the MDR we know the menus off by heart now.

For those Celebrity passengers with more longevity of cruising with them do they change the menus every few years? If so would it be 3, 4, 5 years? We would love to sail knowing there are some new dishes to try. Or, could it be a ploy to get people to mix it up with speciality restaurants?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this and ideally I would love it if the menus changed seasonally and were different from year to year. It would also be great if different ships had different menus, perhaps based on where they were visiting.

However, then I thought about the enormity of that task. Planning the "grocery list" alone is a monumental task and having to couple that with a menu that takes into consideration having to do well under refrigeration or freezing. Then there is a the printing and distribution of the menus.

It simply isn't possible to make changes very often.

Still it would be nice if there were just a couple changes every year to give you something new and unexpected to look forward to.

One reason we like variety in our cruise lines (we have been on 14 lines) is because we get varied menus and entertainment. Mass market lines not only keep menu items for years, but most of their production shows are around for at least 3 years.

Hank

I sail on Celebrity often. I know all the menus. I like most of them. That's part of the reason that I return again and again. Food is very good. I look forward to eating some of my favorite things. I used to say that it was getting dull. When I saw the new Top Chefs menu last year, I was excited. It looked great. Something new to try. Unfortunately, the Top Chefs menu is not as good as the regular menus. I have been on 4 cruises since the Top Chef menu came out. Each time I tried new things. After being disappointed often, I now order from the left side of the menu. My left side favorites are onion soup, salmon or steak with baked potato, and cheesecake. I love the cheesecake. Hope they never get rid of the left side of the menu.

I sail on Celebrity often. I know all the menus. I like most of them. That's part of the reason that I return again and again. Food is very good. I look forward to eating some of my favorite things. I used to say that it was getting dull. When I saw the new Top Chefs menu last year, I was excited. It looked great. Something new to try. Unfortunately, the Top Chefs menu is not as good as the regular menus. I have been on 4 cruises since the Top Chef menu came out. Each time I tried new things. After being disappointed often, I now order from the left side of the menu. My left side favorites are onion soup, salmon or steak with baked potato, and cheesecake. I love the cheesecake. Hope they never get rid of the left side of the menu.

I agree about the Top Chefs menu. This last trip we ate in the buffet that night based on our previous top chefs experience. The Head Waiter and Maire D concurred that the regular MDR menu was better than the Top Chefs menu,

It seems that instead of swapping out the entire menu they should just pick say one third of the menus least popular items and replace them. then there would be variety and still retain the things that most people really love.

Hi Neighbor,

I agree things get boring after several years....that's why bringing in some new items to replace the least ordered would be good....something not on any old menu and that way over time the whole menu would evolve.

All of the menus are old and tired and need replacing. None of the menus have changed much if at all in over five years at least.

The specialty restaurants are good once or twice each, but not much more.

They must know which meals go well. Love the prime rib and the creme brûlée! They also must know which meals are rarely chosen.

If each year they took a least popular off and replaced it with something new then most people would stil get their favourites but there would be a regular change.

As someone else said, it would also be nice if at least one night in your cruise you had the opportunity for a 'locally inspired' meal. This was promised for Luminae but I don't think it has happened yet.

I also think dropping the least popular items from the menu could be a great tool for Celebrity.....they could pick the items to be removed and then get all the chefs in the fleet to submit possible replacement recipes which would be judged and the winning items added....this would also give Celebrity insight into their more creative chefs that might be in line for promotion to head chefs.....they need more creative chefs....especially head chefs to keep them competitive

It seems that instead of swapping out the entire menu they should just pick say one third of the menus least popular items and replace them. then there would be variety and still retain the things that most people really love.

You mean like all the good land based restaurants do? Selections that are not popular should not be kept on a menu for years.

Like any smart business...if is is not selling well....replace it with something that will....

You mean like all the good land based restaurants do? Selections that are not popular should not be kept on a menu for years.

Like any smart business...if is is not selling well....replace it with something that will....

You're assuming that there are things on the menu that are not "selling well." Or that are not selling well enough to maintain the inventory. I have a feeling that, with the number of people rotating through the MDRs every year, there are very few of those items.

When Princess changed some menu items on their ships a couple of years ago, the hew and cry that went up on these boards was deafening. There are always going to be people who love the "less popular" items.

So I suppose you are saying that there is no need to change the menu onboard ever?.....If I was in charge of planning I would not be concerned about a few people that like the less popular items.....if only 20% like the items than you are saying it is better to cater to the 20% than the 80%. You need all your items to be pleasing to the most possible. ideally I would say you want a pretty balanced ordering pattern. With the obvious exceptions such as if you choose to offer vegitarian items etc. Also, some things go out of style....there are dishes that were popular in my grandparents day that are not now......Basically there are MANY reasons to change the menu regularly

You're assuming that there are things on the menu that are not "selling well." Or that are not selling well enough to maintain the inventory. I have a feeling that, with the number of people rotating through the MDRs every year, there are very few of those items.

When Princess changed some menu items on their ships a couple of years ago, the hew and cry that went up on these boards was deafening. There are always going to be people who love the "less popular" items.

So I suppose you are saying that there is no need to change the menu onboard ever?.....If I was in charge of planning I would not be concerned about a few people that like the less popular items.....if only 20% like the items than you are saying it is better to cater to the 20% than the 80%. You need all your items to be pleasing to the most possible. ideally I would say you want a pretty balanced ordering pattern. With the obvious exceptions such as if you choose to offer vegitarian items etc. Also, some things go out of style....there are dishes that were popular in my grandparents day that are not now......Basically there are MANY reasons to change the menu regularly

No, that's not what I'm saying, and I think my post was clear. What I WAS saying is that you are assuming that there are items on the menu that appeal only to 20% of the guests; I make no such assumption. Even if true, however, I would also assume that only a small portion of the menu appeals to that 20%, while most of the menu appeals to the 80%.

They will also change the menus as food supplies and food costs warrant.

So are YOU saying that the MDR menu should not have items that appeal to the unadventurous or the picky eaters? That they should not appeal to people who dislike chicken, or can't eat steak, or don't like pork?

Besides, how do you know that you are in the 80% rather than the 20?

Does anyone have pictures of the menus available? We will be sailing on our first celebrity cruise and are interested in the offerings.

Heres a link to 14 day menus someone posted. These were from Eclipse Oct 2014 but were the same on our Eclipse trip last month.

http://www.thepreismans.com/spain14_menus.htm#dining

Heres a link to 14 day menus someone posted. These were from Eclipse Oct 2014 but were the same on our Eclipse trip last month.

http://www.thepreismans.com/spain14_menus.htm#dining

Hi,

thanks for the link to the menus.

Some people who cruise a lot probably would appreciate a change to just about anything...... menus .... shows ..... maybe the decor of the ships.

But for someone like 'me' ..... I am happy with what they have ..... I do not remember what I ate on my last cruise ...... but I remember that I enjoyed it.

I am sure that I will find something that I will like on my next cruise.

I am also sure that it has to be very difficult for the cruise line to have a menu that satisfies most of the people and the price has to be a big factor as well. It would be easy to make a great and tasty dinner with unlimited budget .... but with the 14 or 15 dol. per day to feed a person ...... might not be so easy.

Edited by wieslaw

I think on the first menu the suggested entre is a "homestyle pork chop", My first thoiught was why would I want anything homestyle when I'm on vacation?!

It just struck me as funny.

Thanks for reminding me about how good the homestyle pork chop was. Breaded like home but thicker than I usually see [emoji200]

Now I can't wait for my next celebrity cruise in Feb...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

But they haven't changed....not in years....and not changing does not signify that everyone loves the menu....and many have commented that they are bored with the same things......as for knowing if I was in the 80% or 20% ....who cares...I DON'T have to know.....celebrity knows what foods are selected least and I am saying that the menu should not be static.....it needs to evolve. And I have no doubt that everyone will find something to their taste.

No, that's not what I'm saying, and I think my post was clear. What I WAS saying is that you are assuming that there are items on the menu that appeal only to 20% of the guests; I make no such assumption. Even if true, however, I would also assume that only a small portion of the menu appeals to that 20%, while most of the menu appeals to the 80%.

They will also change the menus as food supplies and food costs warrant.

So are YOU saying that the MDR menu should not have items that appeal to the unadventurous or the picky eaters? That they should not appeal to people who dislike chicken, or can't eat steak, or don't like pork?

Besides, how do you know that you are in the 80% rather than the 20?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Everyone is different. For us, the first time we sailed Celebrity we were excited as we had read the food was a notch up and we loved the MDR options. However as this will be our fifth 14 nighter in 3 years we would like some of that excitement back again by looking forward to new menu options. Whilst many enjoy looking forward to their favourites, on that basis Celebrity may as well keep the same menus for the next 50 years, why change them ever? I'm sure if some of our favourite meals were taken away there would be newer stuff we would enjoy trying.