Danube - It's Raining

G.M.T.

The Danube - from Passau to Nuremberg has been hit by thunder storms and heavy rain (this followed storm warnings issued by the German Weather Service). More rain is forecasted for this weekend.

Our heatwave is on it's way out.

Will have to see tomorrow if the rain has had any effects on the Danube levels.

If it is the storm we had here in London on Thursday I am afraid it will be very short lived. We had a forecast of rain today but all I can see is brilliant sunshine. Very best of luck to all of your cruising shortly hope that it rains before you get there. Think I should be ok with my floating hotel on the Venice Lagoon from 26th.

If it is the storm we had here in London on Thursday I am afraid it will be very short lived. We had a forecast of rain today but all I can see is brilliant sunshine. Very best of luck to all of your cruising shortly hope that it rains before you get there. Think I should be ok with my floating hotel on the Venice Lagoon from 26th.

Probably more water in the Quaggy than in the Danube.:D

I'm on Ama Dolce as we speak, in Vienna. Yesterday, in the Dachau valley, we had a brief (1 hour) shower. Rain forecast for this afternoon in Vienna, , but sunny mid-day, at the moment, and pleasant temps in low 80's today, after unbearable heat in Prague from the 7th until yesterday, the 15th, in Melk. Cooler temps to follow. Water level problems from Regensberg to Passau, but our ship had clearance of about 2 inches in that area. Heard today folks on a Viking ship have already been on 3 different boats, each of descending quality!!!! Hearsay only from fellow pax. We disembark in Budapest on Tue. Heat prevented much sitting on sundeck, but lovely ship and service and AC !!!!!

Our Viking Romantic Danube cruise begins on Aug 22nd in Budapest. Watching this link http://www.hnd.bayern.de/pegel/wasserstand/pegel_wasserstand.php?pgnr=10061007 for water levels at Regensberg, the water levels have come up somewhat in the last 24 hours. When I first started monitoring this, the level was 195 cm (6.39 ft.). The reported level today 16-AUG 10 AM California time is 213 cm (6.99 ft.). Our ship, the Freya, has a draft of 5.5 ft. I don't know how much clearance is required before Viking considers passage safe, so I'm hoping for more rain and even higher levels before the 22nd. This (rain) may impact our sightseeing in Budapest (we arrive on the 18th), but bring it on anyway. My rain poncho is packed. I can't seem to find any update on the cargo vessel that was grounded near Regensberg; hopefully it's been rescued. Anyone know anything about this?

I can't seem to find any update on the cargo vessel that was grounded near Regensberg; hopefully it's been rescued. Anyone know anything about this?

The cargo vessel that stranded on the Danube was pulled free last Wednesday 12th. August, then a one way shipping lane controlled first upstream and then down stream traffic.

http://www.br.de/nachrichten/niederbayern/inhalt/havarie-schiff-donau-bergung-100.html

The cargo vessel that stranded on the Danube was pulled free last Wednesday 12th. August, then a one way shipping lane controlled first upstream and then down stream traffic.

http://www.br.de/nachrichten/niederbayern/inhalt/havarie-schiff-donau-bergung-100.html

Thanks G.M.T for the update on the grounded vessel. I'm also trying to track the viking ship Freya, but most of the vessel tracking websites seem to have spotty data and/or which is a day or more old. As best I can tell, it looks like the Freya is at or near Nuremberg. I guess if it still can't get back to Budapest, I will be but on another ship. I haven't heard anything from Viking or my travel agent on this. I will call them one more time before we leave on Monday for Budapest, and, if necessary again from Budapest.

It's been rraining on and off all day here in Passau.

In Staubing, the Danube has a level of 182 cm. a rise of 46 cm in the last 24 hours and a rise of 75 cm in the last 48 hours. Seems to be going in the right direction.

More rain due on Monday.

We'll see what tomorrow will bring.

It's been rraining on and off all day here in Passau.

In Staubing, the Danube has a level of 182 cm. a rise of 46 cm in the last 24 hours and a rise of 75 cm in the last 48 hours. Seems to be going in the right direction.

More rain due on Monday.

We'll see what tomorrow will bring.

💦💦🎶🎶music to our ears!🎶🎶💦💦😎

Today was the first day since the low water issues started (3-4 weeks ago? i can't remember ;) ) when a Viking long ship (the Atla) left Nuremberg for Regensburg. While I was really happy about everything going back to 'normal', some of the PAX complained (!!!) about rain and the cold weather during the city tour ruining their cruise experience.. :eek:

Today was the first day since the low water issues started (3-4 weeks ago? i can't remember ;) ) when a Viking long ship (the Atla) left Nuremberg for Regensburg. While I was really happy about everything going back to 'normal', some of the PAX complained (!!!) about rain and the cold weather during the city tour ruining their cruise experience.. :eek:

Good grief! There is just no pleasing some people!