Water Package

SIL is on the Navigator in 2 weeks, First time Cruiser, I thought I read a few months back that RCCL was going to offer a Cheap Water Package, like a dollar a bottle. I thought they were following NCL in that offering. Did I miss something or can she still bring on her Own Water / Soda. Right now I see 69.00 for 24 bottles of Evian. Just looking for regular bottle water.

Thanks

Mike

There have not been any new cheap water packages/offers. OFFICIALLY the policy is that you can't bring aboard any sort of drinks (including waster/soda) except for the 2 bottles of wine. With that being said, numerous people have reported no problems doing so. They seem to be most concerned with people smuggling alcohol aboard.

We were on adventure last week and we brought two 15 packs of water onboard. It wasn't because we couldn't drink ship water, it was so we could take bottled water off the ship and to the beach. It cost $10 for the 30 bottles of water we bought before boarding. If we bought them on the ship or at the beach it would have cost over $100. I thought that was worth the trip to the convenience store before boarding.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Any reason why she can't drink the tap water on the ship?

Yeah, I am one of those who think that bottled water is a real waste of money and natural resources. I can see using bottled water if it has some sort of special properties, like being bottled at the source of an exclusive spring and carbonated or flavored, but the typical Aquafina, Dasani, Nestle and other brands are just tap water from their bottler's cities that has been purified via reverse osmosis. My understanding is that the ship's water is also purified via reverse osmosis. Unless the local tap water tastes really bad, like the sulfur taste of water in Florida, I'm fine with tap water. And even that Florida water is fine with me if it's chilled.

Depending on the ship, the water is distilled and or reverse osmosis.

I work in the Water business. I have installed and maintained systems in Pepsi plants for Aquafina, Coke plants for Desani and countless Municipalities across the country from Florida to Washington state.

The water on the ship is of the same quality and safe as anything you will get in a bottle.

Last year I worked on a system in a Bottled water plant in Wisconsin. This single plant bottled water under 37 different private labels. All of the water comes from a municipal water source and in filtered through carbon filters for taste and odor, then minerals are added back to the water to a very specific recipe.

It is quite the business. I should have gotten into that line of work 25 years ago.

Bring a couple of water bottles and fill up at the bar.

In Beer there is barley, in wine there is wisdom, in water there is bacteria.

JoeRum

Depending on the ship, the water is distilled and or reverse osmosis.

I work in the Water business. I have installed and maintained systems in Pepsi plants for Aquafina, Coke plants for Desani and countless Municipalities across the country from Florida to Washington state.

The water on the ship is of the same quality and safe as anything you will get in a bottle.

Last year I worked on a system in a Bottled water plant in Wisconsin. This single plant bottled water under 37 different private labels. All of the water comes from a municipal water source and in filtered through carbon filters for taste and odor, then minerals are added back to the water to a very specific recipe.

It is quite the business. I should have gotten into that line of work 25 years ago.

Bring a couple of water bottles and fill up at the bar.

In Beer there is barley, in wine there is wisdom, in water there is bacteria.

JoeRum

I believe some people have reported the ship's water causes their ankles to swell.

Actually it's not the water but all of the salt. In the food and in the sea air. People tend to eat more food on a cruise and the wonderful exposure to the warm sea air.

Back years ago I installed new water softeners in some senior high rise apartments. After day one of my work these little old ladies were complaining of the water tasting salty from the new water softeners. Funny thing was it took a little over a week to do all of the plumbing work.

The placebo effect.

JoeRum

• 3 weeks later...

Wow.. I just checked the price for 24 bottles for our upcoming December cruise on the Oasis and it is $82 for 24 bottles. I guess they just jacked the price up?

When we bought the package on ship last year it was $70-something dollars. Expensive, but we loved having water at our disposal because we realized that we totally forget to drink water on cruises. We normally drink a lot in general so this allows us to do so. I don't like the taste of ship water that much.

Wow.. I just checked the price for 24 bottles for our upcoming December cruise on the Oasis and it is $82 for 24 bottles. I guess they just jacked the price up?

When we bought the package on ship last year it was $70-something dollars. Expensive, but we loved having water at our disposal because we realized that we totally forget to drink water on cruises. We normally drink a lot in general so this allows us to do so. I don't like the taste of ship water that much.

I believe the prices now include gratuity, so it may not be that much of a jump.

On navigator in August. We put 28 bottles in a small duffle with a luggage tag. I checked it with the porters. I did have to go down to deck 1 to claim it about 6 pm. No big deal. I also saw cases of water down there that others would need to claim. The porters took them, just tip. I would gladly pay RCL $10 for the same to be delivered to my room but not $40 or $80. So until they lower their prices I will continue to bring my own. I have found just two bottles a day keeps my ankles from swelling as much. The ship water tastes fine and I drink that at meals.

Right now I see 69.00 for 24 bottles of Evian. Just looking for regular bottle water.

They don't have Dasani/Aquafina etc. They have spring water. Evian in the water package and Crystal Geyser or something like it for those who get Replenish or Ultimate.

BUT with the water package those bottles are 1 Liter, in case you didn't know that (and how could you, since it's not like the website makes that obvious). It's not just a small bottle.

I can see using bottled water if it has some sort of special properties, like being bottled at the source of an exclusive spring and carbonated or flavored, but the typical Aquafina, Dasani, Nestle and other brands are just tap water from their bottler's cities that has been purified via reverse osmosis.

Right. Royal doesn't use municipal water in their bottled water options. They have Evian (spring water from the alps or wherever) and Crystal Geyers (spring water from the US). So...pretty much exactly what you said. Bottled at the source of a spring (not sure of the exclusivity).

I believe the prices now include gratuity, so it may not be that much of a jump.

Agreed.

Actually it's not the water but all of the salt. In the food and in the sea air. People tend to eat more food on a cruise and the wonderful exposure to the warm sea air.

OH gosh, now that you said that, I remembered that on the cruises where I drank Evian or Crystal Geyser I wasn't outside and I was fasting!

Yes, that's why I didn't swell on those cruises.

OH WAIT. No. I was out and about the same, I ate the same, and yet on the cruises where we bought the water/Evian package or Replenish with Crystal Geyser, DH and I could put our rings on, I wasn't dealing with awful ankles, etc.

Come on people, think about what you're writing. There are very few people who are fasting while onboard ships. So the food is just the same LOL.

If YOU don't have that issue, be happy and glad for yourself and do a little dance! Be GLAD that you aren't one of us. But don't be rude by saying that it's not happening. Come on.