Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Almost at Funchal. Awoke to the news of Paris. This is terrible news and a tragedy for all. The taking of life does not solve anything, in my opinion.

Appreciate Candy's pictures and updates!! YES, the tragedy in Paris is a serious discussion that might better fit here. I have a few thoughts for the "Cooler" discussion board. While the comment of "the taking of life does not solve anything, in my opinion," makes solid common sense and is normally reasonable, I have to disagree. Sorry!! We are dealing with ISIS and others who do not approach these issues and value life in the same way that we in the west do. It's a different mind-set and approach from certain of these people/leaders in the Middle East.

Sadly, yesterday morning our American President was interviewed by ABC’s George Stephanopoulos for“Good Morning America”. President Obama downplayed the threat of ISIS in this interview. Stephanopoulos asked Obama if ISIS was gaining in strength, to which Obama denied they were. “I don’t think they’re gaining strength,” Obama responded. “What is true is that from the start, our goal has been first to contain and we have contained them. They have not gained ground in Iraq, and in Syria they’ll come in, they’ll leave, but you don’t see this systemic march by ISIL across the terrain.” Not my words or opinions! Just sharing.

My viewpoint? If you don't understand the enemy and their strategies, values, etc., then it is going to be so much more difficult to counter their violence and killings. Just as happened to Paris in January when the terrorists targeted Charlie Hebdo and then a kosher shop, we had dead journalists, police and Jews. ISIS killed 200+ Russian on an airline from Egypt.

France's President François Hollande was not shy or incorrect in calling these people "terrorists" and saying clearly that it was "an act of war". Our President will not label this challenge with any such specific terms as "Islamic extremists". For those in the west, what has happened yesterday in Paris is a sad reality for the fact we all still live in a challenged post-9/11 era that will not be easy, simple or quickly disappearing. Things will get worse before it gets better.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,119 views for this posting.

Here is just one visual from Candy and the Silver Spirit sailing. This includes being at sea for sunrise!!:

Nov2015PixsA5_zpsfcagoa74.jpg

Spins and all .... it is indeed a terrible, terrible day for the French and as all. Much of this isn't even really terrorism for a cause, but more recreational murder sadly. Many of these men simply want to kill people.

Sadly one of the passports of one of the Paris "terrorists" shows he was a Syrian who made his way to Paris via Greece.

Unfortunately, we have seen nothing yet to where these evil initiatives will inevitably lead. The conseuqence of this is that people seem to fall into two natural categories on these things and how it effects their lives. There are stoics who will always say "we must push on and not let the terrorists win" and there are those that always follow their natural more cautious survival instincts irrespective of wherever the consequences of that might lead - and if they feel edgy they tend not to travel.

This also sadly inevitably leads to the strengthening of extreme right in politics in Europe, and the smashing together of extraordinary levels of uncontrolled mass immigration and further political lurches to the right overlaid over increased terrorism is a depressing spectre for the future.

Jeff

Jeff,

For the most part, we eat quite simply aboard ship.

Although lots of good things available for sure!

DH indulgence is a chocolate bombe which is more like a rich mousse enrobed in bittersweet dark chocolate. They will make it for him if it's not on the menu.

Hope you have a good day.

Jeff,

For the most part, we eat quite simply aboard ship.

Although lots of good things available for sure!

DH indulgence is a chocolate bombe which is more like a rich mousse enrobed in bittersweet dark chocolate. They will make it for him if it's not on the menu.

Hope you have a good day.

Thanks ..... very simple day to day .... just planning weekday eating ..... I guess you'd half expect me to be doing that! Today is bbq grilled Welsh lamb chops with jacket potatos and slaw; Lamb Korma and rice for Monday, Chicken in breadcrumb on Tuesday with fries, Coq au Vin on Wednesday and Tandoori Lamb chops with samosas and maybe bhajis if I can be bothered on Thursday is the plan. All ingredients ordered for tommorow.

Hope you have a great crossing.

Jeff

I want to make it clear that in my opinion, the acts in Paris were horrific and atrocities. They are continuing acts of war made by those who choose to inflict terror and exploit the freedoms of others in order to carry out these inexplicable acts.

UKCruiseJeff Spins and all .... it is indeed a terrible' date=' terrible day for the French and as all. Much of this isn't even really terrorism for a cause, but [b']more recreational murder[/b] sadly. Many of these men simply want to kill people. Sadly one of the passports of one of the Paris "terrorists" shows he was a Syrian who made his way to Paris via Greece. Unfortunately, we have seen nothing yet to where these evil initiatives will inevitably lead. The conseuqence of this is that people seem to fall into two natural categories on these things and how it effects their lives. There are stoics who will always say "we must push on and not let the terrorists win" and there are those that always follow their natural more cautious survival instincts irrespective of wherever the consequences of that might lead - and if they feel edgy they tend not to travel. This also sadly inevitably leads to the strengthening of extreme right in politics in Europe, and the smashing together of extraordinary levels of uncontrolled mass immigration and further political lurches to the right overlaid over increased terrorism is a depressing spectre for the future. Jeff

Good-looking food pix's from Jeff. Just posted some Madeira pictures for Candy on her trans-Atlantic cruising trip.

About Paris, yes, understand Candy opinion and position. Jeff outlines many interesting, smart viewpoints. Not sure, however, that I totally agree that everything will move "extreme right". Maybe, in my view, certain leaders and people will finally wake up to the real threats and serious dangers out there. BUT, what to do?? That's not as easy and simple to determine and handle. There are real and serious questions about "uncontrolled mass immigration". Lots of questions for how these enemies are evaluated, strategies crafted, etc. Just saying and hoping that they are "contained" are NOT good enough.

This morning on the news, there has been lots of serious discussions on these various issues. In reading many news stories from a number of international sources, there was some very interesting and moving pictures from around the world as many key world landmarks were lighted in the French tri-colors to support those in Paris. Below are a few of those visuals as a tribute to the courage and tragedy in Paris.

Vive la France ! is a great patriotic exclamation that you might hear on Bastille Day or during French elections. This great phrase is somewhat similar to our "God bless America" and the UK's "God save the Queen".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,002 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some visuals from places we have visited that have been lighted during the past day or so in the tri-colors of France. First is the Arctic Cathedral in Tromso/Norway. Second is the Sydney Opera House. Third is Sydney's City Hall. Fourth is the London Eye. Fifth is the Arch at Washington Square in New York City.:

Nov2015PixsA10_zpsbwcw32or.jpg

Nov2015PixsA11_zpsi5tnc3ka.jpg

Nov2015PixsA7_zpswihwovb7.jpg

Nov2015PixsA9_zpss9g7uf79.jpg

Nov2015PixsA8_zpscwgtee9v.jpg

About Paris, yes, understand Candy opinion and position. Jeff outlines many interesting, smart viewpoints. Not sure, however, that I totally agree that everything will move "extreme right". Maybe, in my view, certain leaders and people will finally wake up to the real threats and serious dangers out there. BUT, what to do?? That's not as easy and simple to determine and handle. There are real and serious questions about "uncontrolled mass immigration". Lots of questions for how these enemies are evaluated, strategies crafted, etc. Just saying and hoping that they are "contained" are NOT good enough.

This morning on the news, there has been lots of serious discussions on these various issues. In reading many news stories from a number of international sources, there was some very interesting and moving pictures from around the world as many key world landmarks were lighted in the French tri-colors to support those in Paris. Below are a few of those visuals as a tribute to the courage and tragedy in Paris.

Vive la France ! is a great patriotic exclamation that you might hear on Bastille Day or during French elections. This great phrase is somewhat similar to our "God bless America" and the UK's "God save the Queen".

Thanks Terry, but I cannot recall ever posting the opinion you have disagreed wit, ie that I said that "everything will move to the extreme right".

What I actually said is "this also sadly inevitably leads to the strengthening of extreme right in politics in Europe" and this is as a statment of fact and reflects exactly what is currently happening in several countries in Europe. Perhaps you are unaware of this trend and why the linkage between the mass immigation trend and other issues is strengthening the right?

I know there are "lot's of questions" as you rightly say, but as you disagree with me I am interested to hear your more specific opinions about what options you have in mind that you think our politicians when as you call it "they wake up" could choose from that might stop this trend.

Thanks.

Jeff

Thanks Terry, but I cannot recall ever posting the opinion you have disagreed wit, ie that I said that "everything will move to the extreme right". What I actually said is "this also sadly inevitably leads to the strengthening of extreme right in politics in Europe" and this is as a statment of fact and reflects exactly what is currently happening in several countries in Europe. Perhaps you are unaware of this trend and why the linkage between the mass immigation trend and other issues is strengthening the right? I know there are "lot's of questions" as you rightly say, but as you disagree with me I am interested to hear your more specific opinions about what options you have in mind that you think our politicians when as you call it "they wake up" could choose from that might stop this trend. Thanks.Jeff

Appreciate, Jeff, this added background and clarification. I looked at the words "strengthening of extreme right in politics in Europe" and might not have fully understand the context in which you were commenting. Glad to get this added background and info about your viewpoint and perspective.

Europe has had its share of left versus right debate, shifts and movements. My "wake up" reference was more about a certain resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC, who Friday morning was bragging about how what he called a "JV team", ISIS, had been "contained".

The debate and questions are for how best to deal with these challenges, with whom and how do we partner, etc. Much of that is for the experts who have higher levels of "intelligence" that what I can access. These are dangerous times. Not totally sure how much of this in Paris and other locations is about "recreational murder".

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,530 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Not sure how Jeff and others in the UK rate the balance and viewpoint of the Telegraph newspaper in London, but today they had this headline: "Paris attacks put dagger through heart of liberal Europe".

Here are some of the highlights from this analysis by Peter Foster, their Europe Editor: "Questions are now being asked about how much longer both Europe’s open border system and vision of a tolerant, multi-cultural society can survive. Designed to facilitate the free movement of goods and labour that is the economic life-blood of the continent, the Schengen system has also enabled the easy transfer of both weapons and, potentially jihadist fighters, across those same borders. Following the attacks, Francois Hollande, the French President also re-imposed border controls in a bid to ensure that none of the Paris terrorists or their support network in France were able to escape, as occurred after the Charlie Hebdo atrocity."

Be interested in learning any added reactions, perspective, viewpoints, etc., for these varied issues and questions.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11995821/Paris-attacks-have-put-a-dagger-through-the-heart-of-liberal-Europe.html

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 55,354 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Morning All! With world events becoming more frightening and unpredictable I wanted to register our upcoming adventure with our Department of Foreign Affairs so they would know where at least 2 of their citizens were at any given time. I found the appropriate webpage only to discover that I must enter identification data for each of us for each of the 51 ports individually. I will be busy for a long while. Have a great day!

Morning All! With world events becoming more frightening and unpredictable I wanted to register our upcoming adventure with our Department of Foreign Affairs so they would know where at least 2 of their citizens were at any given time. I found the appropriate webpage only to discover that I must enter identification data for each of us for each of the 51 ports individually. I will be busy for a long while. Have a great day!

WOW!! That is a lot of work for mysty to post all of those dates and locations. Good luck!!

Now that Candy and those on the Silver Spirit have a large number of sea-days upcoming, I am also posting here that she might do some checking on your iPad or whatever device you have been using for pictures, e-mail, etc. I would suggest going to the tech folks/staff on the ship to see if they have any ideas/tips. There is likely to be a staff member and/or passenger who can provide some ideas, suggestions. Are you sending pictures taken from your iPad? Might be good to check on the setting for your iPad, re-start it, etc.??

Most of the pictures sent to me from Candy via e-mail have come in at a pixel size of about 320 × 214 (0.1 MP) or about 32KB or smaller. Might check on your e-mail setting when sending out pictures. My AOL, as an example, allows a size choice for small, medium, large or original size for which quality/size is utilized when sending out pictures. More pixels equals better quality.

Yes, for Candy, Mark and others, college football is getting exciting this weekend and next. Among the best games on Saturday will be Michigan (8-2) at Penn State (7-3), Northwestern at Wisconsin (both at 8-2), Michigan State (9-1) at Ohio State (10-0), Baylor (8-1) at Oklahoma State (10-0) and TCU at Oklahoma (both 9-1). For the weekend after Thanksgiving, there is Oklahoma at Oklahoma State, Baylor at TCU, Alabama at Auburn, Florida at Florida State, Notre Dame at Stanford and, of course, Ohio State at Michigan. Lots of interesting and thrilling college football is upcoming!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,206 views for this posting.

WOW!! That is a lot of work for mysty to post all of those dates and locations. Good luck!!

Thanks Terry! I started to enter the information and got as far as the end of January 2016 when I got the message that the "trip limit" had been reached. I have emailed Foreign Affairs to ask how to go about entering the data for the other 3 months. :( Their system is really not designed to handle this kind of adventure.

Good job, Mysty...crash the servers!

Sad weekend with the Paris events. We went for another hike on Sunday to get away from the news. Weather was pretty clear in the North country, almost 50 degrees, and we arrived at our trailhead around 1PM after a 90 minute drive.

The hike was 6.5 miles round trip to a scenic viewpoint, and it led to the tallest waterfall in the Adirondacks. This trail only opened last year, as the state just acquired the land at that time.

DSCN6493.JPG

DSC07633.JPG

DSCN6488.JPG

We were pretty hungry after that so we stopped partway home and had some nice juicy steaks as a reward for burning a few calories. Nice Sunday afternoon!

JP, what a gorgeous location! A perfect place to temporarily escape the madness!

Yes, it seems that although I was following instructions and I had clearly indicated in my first email that the trip would involve 51 ports, the system could not cope. Still waiting to hear how I should proceed. This is government though so I may have to wait a while.

OK, I have lost Myster once again. I check the Air Canada website every day to make sure nothing has gone awry with our reservations. Today, the only passenger listed on our reservation was me. I called and it seems like both of us are listed on the reservation but their online system is only picking up my info. The "glitch" has been reported to their techies. We'll see!

Lots going on yesterday and today... A few random thoughts!

Sad to say we finished the last of the duck ragu today for lunch, but it was delicious! I served the first batch last week over plain commercially mass-produced fettuccine out of a box, and I wasn't very excited by how it turned out. So over the weekend we made homemade pasta (half white flour, half semolina flour) and that's what we served the rest with. Made a nice difference!

Here's some of the preparation from last weekend - first I browned the legs in a little oil, then they are braised for a few hours in the oven in a mixture of wine, broth, and sautéed shallots with rosemary and thyme. After braising, the meat comes out of the broth and gets shredded, then returns to the sauce to cook down to its final consistency. Here's the meat awaiting shredding:

upload_-1.jpg

And here's the first serving, over plain pasta. Not very exciting.

upload_-1.jpg

But I really liked the homemade stuff! Really wide and thin, almost like pappardelle! The difference was incredible.

upload_-1.jpg

We had pizzas for dinner yesterday. No tomatoes in the house and I didn't feel like making sauce. So we made white pizzas with broccoli. Lots of garlic and olive oil for the base. A few leftover slices of prosciutto went on one of them:

upload_-1.jpgupload_-1.jpg

Off to relax a little bit for the rest of the evening. This evening after work and before dinner, we swapped out our old gas cooktop for a new 5-burner model. I've always wanted one with 5 burners and the continuous grate, so this will be nice. It will also look better than the old one...we dropped something heavy on it a few months ago and cracked the edge of the glass cooktop. So I figured we'd better get a new one soon!

upload_-1.jpg

Good night all! Think I will have a glass of wine before bed.

Nice food JP ... well done .... and I like the look of that wok ring. That is going to do some nice stir fries ...... I hope yo have an authentic cheap large rustable wok!

Europe is still reeling and coming to terms with what is happening and it is so moving to see the stoic and dignified why the French are dealing with this. No self-proclaimed heros making there way to our TV screens, and there were so many heros. This is something that has bought all Europeans together in a real sense of solidarity.

Wifey and I know this area well as the vast majority of our many many visits we based ourselves in what was first Holiday Inn Republique and then became Crowne Plaza. We use to visit every other month ie every eight weeks or so for our regular Monday to Friday or so visits and I use to work regularly in Paris as a kid. My friend has a comedy club close by and we use to walk passed the concert hall on the way to Marais and across the water. The area around the stadium houses our favourite antique market where wifey and I spend many happy hours browsing. It is all terribly sad and we want the French to heal. We are listening to gun shots and explosions in St Denis on our TV's.

Our eating for the last few days was some nice Welsh chops and some jacket potato on Sunday. A very good rendang on Monday which wifey and I now feel is exactly what we have been seeking and yesterday I did some prawns (shrimp) in a mixed chilli and garlic and sea-weed sea salt marinade with some fresh baguetes .... I have posted a prep and plated shot. It was a messy but really lovely meal where wife and I picked and made our mouths messy for a while. Hope you like them.

Jeff

37CEF191-11B8-4AEE-85CA-47F68C0818C9_1.jpg

609D11A7-A49A-4B82-B894-DAEE2ACFC6A1.jpg

8CFE7F6A-16A4-498F-96CB-7C7A85CEAFE1.jpg

F58F4DD1-09C1-49EA-A1E7-0C21F86A01FC.jpg

53FAC8C9-5CAF-4CC5-939C-29943B5D1F03.jpg

Morning All,

Fabulous foodie pics from Jeff and JP.....talking of gas hobs, I've decided to swap mine for an electric one as I'm not getting along with gas at all...hopefully when fitted I'll feel like cooking more from scratch!

Today's offering is a carbonara with mushrooms and pancetta....an oven meal which takes no prep at all!

Barney the storm hit us here in Wales last evening....very nasty for a few hours but no damage apart from finding my patio chairs scattered around the garden! Very lucky as some trees did block roads locally.

Still feeling all blocked up with head cold and cough...usual winter starter following the flu shot last month...not sure if I'll have it again as last years aftermath wasn't good either! Annual health mot coming up....should be fun with the usual lifestyle interrogation !!

Events in Paris have been beyond belief.....wonderful solidarity last night with the Wembley game although one could feel the tension.

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk