Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

"Crown Royal, the whisky-maker from the small Manitoba community of Gimli, has won a world title and been labeled a "masterpiece."

Its Northern Harvest Rye has been named the 2016 World Whisky of the Year, marking the first time a Canadian whisky has received the honour."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/crown-royal-world-whisky-of-the-year-1.3328260

I am a proud Canadian and an avid whisky drinker. Hic! :)

Mark, Safe travels! Have a great time.

YES, good luck and safe travels for Mark with his adventure on the Silver Spirit. That means on Saturday, Nov 28, you will be in Gustavia, St Barts. Not in Ann Arbor to see Michigan hosting Ohio State next Saturday at noon. What does that mean? Will you still cheer UM?

ESPN is live right now broadcasting from Columbus on the Oval of the OSU campus doing their three-hour GameDay program to spotlight today's college football action. Lots of excitement in town as Ohio State is hosting Michigan State in a nationally-televised game pitting these two top-ranked teams. We'll be there in Ohio Stadium when the game starts at 3:30 pm.

From an e-mail this morning, they have this headline: "Best Trips 2016" with these highlights: "National Geographic Traveler presents the New Year's must-see places. Whether it’s Botswana's Great Plains or snow-covered Greenland, these 20 go-now destinations will get you packing."

This profile of Botswana is headlined: "All Hail This African Queen". Here are some highlights for what they share: "In a part of the world not given to small gestures and bland landscapes, Botswana's Okavango Delta still manages to leap out at a person as a singularly unlikely miracle. A massive fan of water that gets its start in rivers percolating out of the deciduous forests of Angola's highlands, the delta evaporates 200 miles later in the sands of the Kalahari Desert. This wilderness is one of the last places to see the Big Five of the traditional African safari: elephant, lion, buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros. It so nearly wasn't. By the 1900s, European and American hunters had killed almost all of the area's elephants. In the decades that followed, conservationists reversed the near collapse of this exquisitely balanced ecosystem. In June 2014, UNESCO designated it a World Heritage site. The romantic intimacy of the delta is best explored in a guided mokoro (dugout canoe). Experienced this way, the Okavango is Venice with wildlife."

Interesting summary from the knowing National Geographic folks. This profile and rating really helps in building the excitement for being there in February 2016 after our South Africa, ten-day cruise.

Full story at:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2016/?utm_source=NatGeocom&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=travel_20151121&utm_campaign=Content&utm_rd=19220544#/bow-okavango-delta-leopard_92373_600x450.jpg

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,421 views for this posting.

Terry,

Yes, that was poor planning on my part, but in August when I booked it, who'd have guessed Michigan would still be in championship contention in the second half of November?

You don't happen to know of a US style sports bar in Gustavia. Or who I have to badger to get it on the ship.

Mark

Terry, Yes, that was poor planning on my part, but in August when I booked it, who'd have guessed Michigan would still be in championship contention in the second half of November? You don't happen to know of a US style sports bar in Gustavia. Or who I have to badger to get it on the ship. Mark

Appreciate Mark's honesty for admitting that his initial faith in UM this season was limited. BUT, the new coach has done a great job to turn around the football fortunes at Michigan.

For a bar there in St. Barts, below is a tip for a cool, historic, interesting location. BUT, don't remember that they have much on TV's there. On St. Bart's with their "French Connection", I do know how well their local cable providers will have access to this ABC-TV broadcast. On the ship, start lobbying the Hotel Director and Cruise Director. If they get enough interest, they will do some checking to see about their potential to find it. During our Feb. 2015 cruise on the Amazon River, they did not have the Super Bowl shown on the ship as the demand was not that huge AND the cost to show it was fairly high. College football access should be easier, but do your on-ship lobbying and get others to bug/push them. Good luck!!

Have you previously been to St. Bart's? Don't miss Shell Beach as shown below, plus lots of other interesting locations and sights there. Need more St. Bart's tips/ideas?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,582 views for these postings.

Here is my picture/memory from standing on the outdoor patio at this location celebrated as the place where Jimmy Buffet came up with his famed "Cheeseburger in Paradise" ballad. Cool signage?:

StMaartBartsA23_zpsptn1twce.jpg

Here is one of my samples from our visit to Shell Beach that is so close and handy from the main port area of St. Barts. Yes, they have real shells there on this beach!! Plus, a scenic option/location to have lunch, dinner and/or drinks there on this beach.:

StMaartBartsA36_zpsrvkpidra.jpg

Mark, don't worry, I will post a play by play for you.

Please do the same for me today re the game with PSU.

Go Blue!

Weather for you should be warm and gorgeous.

Almost noon whistle time here.

Getting ready for pool deck lunch. Although we have no reason to leave our suite.

Everything is right here!

Spirit in fine shape

Mark, don't worry, I will post a play by play for you. Please do the same for me today re the game with PSU. Go Blue!

Yes, that Michigan at Penn State games starts in a little more than a half hour. Who will be having the most fun in Happy Valley where PSU plays?? That's a big and intimidating stadium. Been there for a game? About 110,000 fans attending! Leaving shortly for the pre-game tail-gating at Ohio Stadium or I would post some updates for you.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,237 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Michigan in the first quarter just scored a passing touchdown to go up 7-3 over Penn State. UM quarterback is looking good.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,723 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Mark, don't worry, I will post a play by play for you.

Please do the same for me today re the game with PSU.

Go Blue!

Weather for you should be warm and gorgeous.

Almost noon whistle time here.

Getting ready for pool deck lunch. Although we have no reason to leave our suite.

Everything is right here!

Spirit in fine shape

Michigan scored a td in the last minute of the first half to go ahead 14-10, and gets the ball to start the third quarter.

Morning All! So far we have avoided the snow hitting the southern part of the province and our neighbours to the south and west. It won't be long before we get our share. It'll be time to put the mats at the front door for the boots.

Mark...have a wonderful trip!

Spinnaker2 thanks for taking us all along on the Transatlantic (with an assist from Terry for the photos). It is ending much too soon! :)

Our cooler friends from across the pond have been very quiet. Hope all is well with them!

Have a wonderful day!

Morning All!

Our cooler friends from across the pond have been very quiet. Hope all is well with them!

Have a wonderful day!

M,

I'm sorry I did note your earlier note and I recognise it's impolite not to post and I am unable to speak for anyone else on this side of hte pond , other than moi, but my sense is that many Europeans are currently feeling as I do. That is to say devastated, numb, and unable to joyfully banter when we have seen what has happened over recent times.

It is really difficult to explain this to others on the other side of the pond but what has happened here has been terrible and it's effect on all of us. It isn't about selfish feelings of being vulnerable although vulnaribility is something we feel and to be honest we haveit in our DNA and cope with it. It is about sharing pain. I'm not going to go on about what happened in Paris, and it is difficult for others to understand the complex nature of inter-European relationships but basically and put simply when we are bored we squabble but when the chips are down we are rock solid and care deeply about each other. The stories that emerge daily bring tears.

This issue is not about comparing how many people dies on an event like 9/11 compared to Friday the 13th.

CC is a place for discussions about cruises and who is or is not the current HD, captain, CD etc on anticipated cruises. The cooler has more lattitude. Cooler and CC aside, I think it is many Europeans sense that these events have not received the degree of focus many might have hoped from our North American cousins. Obama appears to be dozing and couldn't even turn up on time for the few moments silense at G8. Blue, white and red is as common a colour to light buildings for Americans as it is for Brits and indeed France. I think many of us are a touch dissapointed that the worlds greatest power appears to think this was just an event of a day a week or so ago. It isn't. It is devastating. The French are crying. The people of Belgium represent the size of a city in the US. I think many of us feel that we ALL should have focussed on them and their pain.

So the reason why I haven't posted is because this is all I want to talk about at the moment and I guess this isn't the place. I have written this as I have felt it and intend no judgments, criticisms and therefore corrections or adjustments.It is simply how I feel and how I know many others do as well, and nothing else at the moment feels particularly important.

Sorry. But like you I wish everyone a good day.

Jeff

Hi mysty and fellow coolers - all well in the good ole UK so far. I am hoping that the Davis Cup finals can take place this week; scheduled for Belgium and we have not reached the finals for absolute yonks. Situation at present pretty difficult.

Chez moi, I have had Sophia's cold last week; just been cooking apples from Norfolk via daughter, and quinces from France via a neighbour to freeze. I have not cooked quinces before, the slices keep their shape, and need a fair bit of sugar, but now cooled a piece tastes good - not quite like apple. I am too idle to make quince jelly; I know that is what you should do, to accompany meats. It has been pretty cold and windy round here - we are not yet used to low temperatures.

I don't know if any of you look at news of Seabourn. They have recently appointed Thomas Keller (I gather very famous - not not known to me or most Brits) to produce some new menus and dishes for the line. Pictures of some dishes do look good, but passengers trying them so far from the experimental range have not been too thrilled. They are going to do something called Ad Hoc, I think, which seems to involve sharing dishes, put in large bowls on the table for a whole table to share - reaction on CC has not been favourable, to say the least, but when I looked at one they have done so far I personally liked the simplicity of the dishes and would be happy to try them, though probably only at a table for two unless we were with friends or family. I guess some of you will know all about him, and maybe eaten as his famous restaurant. I imagine he will be costing the company a fair bit, just hope it will be worth it.

Look forward to more news from everyone,

Lola

J... Thank you for responding. It is difficult to fathom the pain and the disappointment you and yours are feeling. Canada has been extremely lucky thus far. Our country did grieve when two of our military were killed here by two men bent on terrorism and it shook us. Numbers don't come into it. Our thoughts are with all who are in pain.