Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Depending on the "some", you may be right! However, we are going in with an open mind. :) We have never spent more than 2 weeks together all day, every day. I know it works beautifully for you and your lovely wife. I'm not sure how it will work for us. In fact, my daughter is quite worried about how we will get on. I suspect it is her father she is most concerned about having to deal with me for that long with no buffer. :)

Also Mysty, give up your habit of topless sunbathing.

All Speedo bathing thongs should be left a la casita.

OK spinnaker2, I just spit my cranberry juice all over the keyboard when I read your post. I'm still choking! Topless???? That would really be scary for other passengers! Not in my lifetime! Thanks for the words of caution though!

Except for The Corporation interlude we have spent all day and every day together 24/7 for several decades, and find other people's company tough. We found many people we mixed with on cruises were quite competitive and do not have an ounce in us. Sometimes it was just this hierarchy of boasting about the number if days cruising they had done, other times it was constant business success chatter neither of which interests us, We did however meet some people who were so successful that they were no longer competitive and we found them easier as you could talk about proper stuff. We also sometimes took friends some of whom were also clients on cruises with us and that was fun.

We tend to just like being by ourselves, but life is rich because we are all different.

Jeff

On a serious note, do you have a kindle? Have you loads lots of good books on it?

Yes I do have a kindle and it is loaded with books. Thanks for thinking of that! I put music on the ipod too. :) My to do list is getting a wee bit shorter and yet it still stretches out to the horizon.

Except for The Corporation interlude we have spent all day and every day together 24/7 for several decades, and find other people's company tough. We found many people we mixed with on cruises were quite competitive and do not have an ounce in us. Sometimes it was just this hierarchy of boasting about the number if days cruising they had done, other times it was constant business success chatter neither of which interests us, We did however meet some people who were so successful that they were no longer competitive and we found them easier as you could talk about proper stuff. We also sometimes took friends some of whom were also clients on cruises with us and that was fun.

We tend to just like being by ourselves, but life is rich because we are all different.

Jeff

We are not really into competition on any level or subject. It makes us both uncomfortable. That's part of the reason I am a little concerned about how we will fit in. I love spending time with Myster and I think he enjoys spending time with me. At least I hope so. I'm just not sure how the 24/7 for 4 months is going to go. That's why I am hoping to meet friendly, like-minded people to have fun with. If not, then not. We'll have fun no matter what!

spinnaker2, it just said complimentary laundry and dry cleaning. No mention of pressing. I would assume that means no pressing. I think there are irons in the laundry rooms on board right? Most of Myster's shirts are "wrinkle free" which means they wrinkle. :( His dress shirts definitely need the iron. I am only planning on bringing a couple of those though. He mostly wears golf shirts and seersucker short sleeve shirts for casual. Hopefully I will not need to chain myself to an ironing board. Old school dude doesn't operate an iron.

Wow. Step away from the cooler a few hours and you miss a lot!

We ballroom dance together and absolutely love it. A great thing to do together. Sometimes we fool people into thinking we are good at it!

We are pretty much together constantly and always have been. We wouldn't want it any other way. It's so strange to be apart. Hate it!

Oh joy...the competitive types. We don't even like to talk about what we do for a living for that reason. I don't care how much you made in the stock market or how much you have in the bank. I'd rather have fun and enjoy our cruise! Luckily the group we met on the Explorer cruise 2 years ago is like-minded, so we get along very well.

Finally upgrading the laptop to Win10 so we'll see how that goes. I wish we had a dog so we could join in the posting frenzy, but alas, only cats and fish. Maybe later. Good night all!

Hi JP! Myster and I took ballroom dance lessons years ago. I think he didn't mind it too much and we were "credible" dancers. :) He also took square dance lessons with me. Not sure he enjoyed that though. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Have a great week!

It's also one of my favourite films of which you never tire. Was filmed around Villefranche and Beulieu Sur Mer. It never occurred to me that americans call the period "Victorian" .... but I do hope Terry posts a picture of him with Carole King who I absolutely worship as one of the largest musical talents of the 20th Century. She wasn't just a troubadour but wrote so much stuff most never knew was written by her. One of my dreams was to say hello to her one day but it will never be, and if it did I would go completely dumb and stupid and make a fool of myself. Jeff

misty: J... you might consider heading to DC and wrangling a ticket for the Kennedy Center Honours. With all the contacts you have' date=' you could probably swing it. Then your dream might come true. [/quote']

UKCruiseJeff: I am afraid that when it comes to contacts my future is all behind me. Jeff

Appreciate all of the varied and significant discussions on this CC board during the past few hours. Great subjects such as "the competitive types"' date=' dancing tactics to lure/trap your partner, shipboard discussions that can be fun or not so much, husband/wife interactions when travel together for long periods, etc.

One of the best items popping up today on the Cooler is the mention for [b']"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"[/b]. Yes, a super funny movie that came out in 1988. This comedy featuring high-class con artist Lawrence Jamieson (Michael Caine) doing battle with crude competitor, Freddy Benson (Steve Martin). So many unique twists and turns!!! Plus, the movie settings!! What's better than Beaulieu-sur-Mer (depicted in the film as "Beaumont-sur-Mer"), Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, Nice and Villefranche-sur-Mer. The Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild was featured as the estate belonging to the super smooth Michael Caine character. So enjoyable. It's a movie classic!!

Super cute and funny comment/line by Jeff about "my future is all behind me". Don't think it is exactly true. I will be on the look-out this week for any calls, e-mails and/or text messages from President Obama offering me tickets for the Kennedy Center Honors. If I get a ticket offer in the next few days, I will ask if Jeff can go to the Kennedy Center as my personal representative and ask for a photo op with Carole King. Is Jeff ready to fly to Dulles airport if I get the that call and tickets? Below is a recent picture of Carole King. She has aged well!! She will be age 74 in February.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 127,436 views for this posting.

From the Bing website, here is a more recent visual of Carole King, just in case you are walking along a sidewalk and see her.:

Nov2015PixsA16_zpsa8nawru9.jpg

We are pretty much together constantly and always have been. We wouldn't want it any other way. It's so strange to be apart. Hate it!

Oh joy...the competitive types. We don't even like to talk about what we do for a living for that reason. I don't care how much you made in the stock market or how much you have in the bank. I'd rather have fun and enjoy our cruise! Luckily the group we met on the Explorer cruise 2 years ago is like-minded, so we get along very well.

Finally upgrading the laptop to Win10 so we'll see how that goes. I wish we had a dog so we could join in the posting frenzy, but alas, only cats and fish. Maybe later. Good night all!

I think the problem is that they always also ask "what do you do" and I found it difficult to understand myself what it is (mostly now past tense ie was) and therefore have difficulty explaining it to others. People like precise terms that they understand and and so they think you are being evasive or secrative or coy and that always brings out the worst of competitive types who like to pigeon hole precisely what they are competing with. The funniest times have been when client/friends have been with us and they have seen how I talk to them .......:)

Good luck with 10.

Jeff

M,

I have no experiencve of your length of cruise but as you know do have very extended trips. Our approach is simply to feel we are decamping from one home to another and we like to keep to rituals. So early breakfasts, main walsk and sightseeings early as possible, afternoon naps and stuff to watch and listen to late night before sleepies. So I have a whole lot of BBC and other channel downloads to watch and a whole mine of podcasts for favourite radio programmes.

I'd have a diary with possibilities for each day and stuff I might want to remember that I might book for a day or two hence.

Jeff

As we're into a bit of a doggy fest, I have dug out and scanned (no darkroom stuff I'm afraid ... they are as they are) some piccies of Bob and Ben.

We chose them from a well known gun-dog (and crufts winning) breeder and once chosen they stayed with their mums for a few weeks longer and then came home with us. Once we chose them the breeder made an effort to keep them together for as much as possible so they bonded ... they were born on the same day to different litters. Bob is the Blue Roan and Ben the black one. The breeder really wanted to borrow them back for Crufts but that wasn't going to be. Their markings and shape was lovely and I particularly loved Ben's bum.

So the first pics are of when they arrived and seem to be asking "who are you and why are we here?" and one of their first lunches together followed by them maturing nicely and the last was of Ben during his last week or so enjoying a nice biscuit in the garden at Seaside. I was sad he never made it down to the beach but that is life. He was pretty grey by then.

Jeff

bob1.jpg

ben1.jpg

bobandben2.jpg

bob2.jpg

ben2.jpg

T_psn00020.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

sometimes (well occasionally) this thread repulses… and (most) other times it attracts… whatever .. post #1819 on the new thread and still high on the must read list.. well done everyone.

Don't get me started on animals..

It has not been a good month at chateau tgh .

Why do they live such short lives…?

Mark...How are you enjoying the cruise? Weather and ports good? Hope you are having an awesome time!

The cruise is great, except for being n the part of it where you realize it's inevitably winding down. We've enjoyed all the ports, the weather was not the best between Florida and Puerto Rico, since then it's been fine.

Maybe I'm just paying more attention, but it seems like the service is less consistently good than it was on our first SS cruise.

M,

I have no experiencve of your length of cruise but as you know do have very extended trips. Our approach is simply to feel we are decamping from one home to another and we like to keep to rituals. So early breakfasts, main walsk and sightseeings early as possible, afternoon naps and stuff to watch and listen to late night before sleepies. So I have a whole lot of BBC and other channel downloads to watch and a whole mine of podcasts for favourite radio programmes.

I'd have a diary with possibilities for each day and stuff I might want to remember that I might book for a day or two hence.

Jeff

Thanks J! Your approach feels right. Homey with a touch of exotic. I have a journal on the packing list. :) A gift that I was keeping for something special. This whole trip has never been about impressing anyone. Just about being together, being pampered and seeing the world and its wonders.

The cruise is great, except for being n the part of it where you realize it's inevitably winding down. We've enjoyed all the ports, the weather was not the best between Florida and Puerto Rico, since then it's been fine.

Maybe I'm just paying more attention, but it seems like the service is less consistently good than it was on our first SS cruise.

Glad you are enjoying the cruise and sorry that the service is not as it was. Soak up the rays Mark while you can. :)

I think the problem is that they always also ask "what do you do" and I found it difficult to understand myself what it is (mostly now past tense ie was) and therefore have difficulty explaining it to others. People like precise terms that they understand and and so they think you are being evasive or secrative or coy and that always brings out the worst of competitive types who like to pigeon hole precisely what they are competing with. The funniest times have been when client/friends have been with us and they have seen how I talk to them .......:)

Good luck with 10.

Jeff

I have often wondered about this very thing....why is one of the first questions asked when meeting someone new, "What do you do?". As if somehow the answer to that question defines you. In my experience, it does not. One's job/career is only a part of their life. It doesn't really tell you much about anything except as a possible gauge to how much they might earn and that doesn't tell you anything about who they are as people. More interesting questions might be "What do you love about your life?" "What do you value in other people?" "What is your passion?". The answers to those kinds of questions might provide more useful insights.

Edited by mysty

I have often wondered about this very thing....why is one of the first questions asked when meeting someone new, "What do you do?". As if somehow the answer to that question defines you. In my experience, it does not. One's job/career is only a part of their life. It doesn't really tell you much about anything except as a possible gauge to how much they might earn and that doesn't tell you anything about who they are as people. More interesting questions might be "What do you love about your life?" "What do you value in other people?" "What is your passion?". The answers to those kinds of questions might provide more useful insights.

I like how you think. Some may focus too much on what you do - precisely because their answers to the (much better) questions that you pose are sorely lacking.

Work and your profession do define a part of you but the definition is much richer when it includes your questions as well. People may ask your profession as an icebreaker, or a way to get to know something about you, but IME it can pigeonhole people too early...oh he's a doctor, accountant, etc...rather than an interesting person who loves photography, keeps a saltwater reef tank, and likes to cook.

I would much more enjoy talking about travel, food, wine, family, and almost anything else non-work related when on vacation. How dull it would be to leave work only to talk about it while you're gone?