Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

[quote name='spinnaker2']Big news on the ship is that Ohio lost to Michigan state. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Just got and posted some [B]"fresh" pictures from Candy [/B]during her trans-Atlantic sailing on the Silver Spirit. Here is one item of "evidence" that the sun, fortunately, that keeps rising each day.

It was rainy, windy and cold for this late afternoon, early evening Michigan State at Ohio State game. Not pretty being there and watching!! Both for the weather and game. Poor, lack of offense by OSU. Only five first downs and 132 yards of offense by the Buckeyes. Offense was very offensive!! It went down to the final seconds as Michigan State [B][I]kicked a field goal to win 17-14[/I][/B]. Clearly Ohio State will have a major, uphill challenge in going up to Ann Arbor to play Michigan next Saturday.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, [B][I]Sydney to Auckland adventure[/I][/B], getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
[B][U][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139[/url][/U][/B]
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at [B]126,511 views[/B] for this posting.

[B]Here is the Nov. 21 sunrise from the Silver Spirit. Sunshine and warm weather needed here in the Midwest!: [/B]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/July%202015/Nov2015PixsA5%201_zpsy5kznj2c.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff'] It is about sharing pain. I'm not going to go on about what happened in Paris, and it is difficult for others to understand the [B]complex nature of inter-European relationships[/B] but basically and put simply when we are bored we squabble but when the chips are down we are rock solid and care deeply about each other. Cooler and CC aside, I think it is many Europeans sense that [B]these events have not received the degree of focus many might have hoped from our North American cousins[/B]. Obama appears to be dozing and couldn't even turn up on time for the few moments silense at G8. Blue, white and red is as common a colour to light buildings for Americans as it is for Brits and indeed France. I think many of us are a touch dissapointed that the worlds greatest power appears to think this was just an event of a day a week or so ago. It isn't. [B]It is devastating. [/B] The French are crying. The people of Belgium represent the size of a city in the US. So the reason why I haven't posted is because this is all I want to talk about at the moment and I guess this isn't the place. I have written this as I have felt it and intend no judgments, criticisms and therefore corrections or adjustments. Sorry. But like you I wish everyone a good day. Jeff[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Appreciate so much Jeff's thoughtful and detailed comments on[B] these complex issues/challenges facing Europe and those of us in the USA[/B]. Like Jeff, I have lots of opinions, historic knowledge and views for who has and has not done the "right things" on these many dimensions for these historic issues that will not go away or be easily solved. BUT, also agree that this travel-focused board is not always the best location to engage in those types of discussions and debates.

THANKS, Jeff, for the update and wise perspectives!

Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

If [B][U]Venice[/U][/B] is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 55,359 views.
[B][I]Venice: Loving It & Why??!![/I][/B]
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226[/url]

Jeff and I posted at about the same moment, and his does make me feel a bit shallow - although there has to be room for both light and shade in everything.

I spent quite some time last week during our little village French group class composing an email for our neighbours, who have a house in France, to send to all their friends who live there, some in Paris. It took us a while to think of the right words in French to convey how we all felt, but between us we came up with something appropriate. I love speaking French, and when I do I even think in French, but this one was a bit of a poser. I think we Brits did come up with very apt and thoughtful reactions to the horrors generally.

Vive la France

Lola

L....both light and shade are necessary to be able to appreciate the difference between them. No shade takes away from the appreciation of light and no light detracts from the perception of shade. "Ils servent aussi qui ne reposer et attendre."

I have never suffered
With mind-numbing fear
The bombs bursting in air
Shattering bones
Breaking bodies
Destroying lives
Can I even imagine?

I have never thirsted
With dwindling hope
For one cup of clean water
Dehydrating body
Debilitating need
Unrelenting agony
Can I even imagine?

I have never witnessed
With heart-breaking pain
The death of a child
Gut-wrenching helplessness
Aching powerlessness
Unending torture
Can I even imagine?

I have never shivered
With bone-chilling cold
Through a life with no shelter
Body-jarring anguish
Spirit-sapping despair
Craving small comfort
Can I even imagine?

The disturbing reality is
That I cannot.

Thanks M, a lovely and much appreciated and I can see heartfelt, and sensitive response. Thanks muchly you soppy and lovely thing.

Once one has managed to pass from the devastation one can find the strength to feel anger which was wonderfully summarised by Andrew Neil on late TV this week. You may not be aware of him but he is a very knowledgeable commentator and interviewer here. He cuts through BS and holds people to account with facts and contra argument. But does it equally to both sides of every argument. In fact, I would say the current best of all of them by a very long mile. He isn't just a TV presenter but he started ofd ... well someway into his career as the editor of the Sunday Times and had an office in Grays Inn road I place I once worked until they found me out and fired me. It is sometimes forgotten that he has a place in France and recently got married there and invited his dog as honoured guest. The French would like that.

Here is what he had to say on the subject.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKg3Qexn7U[/url]

Jeff

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']It is really difficult to explain this to others on the other side of the pond but what has happened here has been terrible and it's effect on all of us. It isn't about selfish feelings of being vulnerable although vulnaribility is something we feel and to be honest we haveit in our DNA and cope with it. It is about sharing pain. I'm not going to go on about what happened in Paris, and it is difficult for others to understand the complex nature of inter-European relationships but basically and put simply when we are bored we squabble but when the chips are down we are rock solid and care deeply about each other. The stories that emerge daily bring tears.

So the reason why I haven't posted is because this is all I want to talk about at the moment and I guess this isn't the place. I have written this as I have felt it and intend no judgments, criticisms and therefore corrections or adjustments.It is simply how I feel and how I know many others do as well, and nothing else at the moment feels particularly important.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Jeff - may of us on this side of the pond share your pain, as best we can. Wish we could show that more tangibly, but what to do? Besides changing your Facebook profile picture to a French flag or a symbol, and watching the news, it is tough to feel like we're doing "something" of any use.

I feel so sad for Paris, one of my favorite cities. And the lovely French people I've had the pleasure to meet, and those I haven't who are probably just as lovely. One of my residents at the hospital is from Grenoble, and her sister lived in Paris until just a few weeks ago. She lived in the St-Denis area and knew the restaurants, bars, etc that were part of the carnage. My connection is tenuous but I feel it just the same.

Even though we are not geographically close, we are all close to you in heart, and we do feel that connection. We do stand with you, or weep with you. Who could not be moved by these tragic events?

[IMG]https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/10349079_10154115632054123_6067222563590536433_n.jpg?oh=22704553878402b9381138510df13bcb&oe=56E35764[/IMG]

Mysty - thanks for posting. Very eloquent!

Lola - J'aime parler français aussi. C'est très belle! You will know when the French have recovered; once they have, they will correct your kind words. :)

Good Afternoon Coolers,

I echo the words from Jeff....and Mysty...your poem was very touching, thank you for posting that. It's now so sad to see that Brussels are having a tough time. My kids are off to London this weekend and l do admit to be holding my breath...very difficult and distressing times for us all in Europe right now.

Sorry you caught my cold Lola...[emoji6] just keep warm as mine has now turned into a nasty chest infection.....my nurse detected this during my annual mot this morning and hauled me in to see the Dr so antibiotics have been prescribed.
The health mot went very well and for once l didn't receive any lifestyle lectures....most surprising but rather nice.

We had our very first hard frost this morning here in Wales.....good news for the sprouts eh Jeffers!! Pup has been whisked away to doggy school today.....I'm sure he's having great fun but l really miss him.

Almost time for Spin to come back down to earth with a thud....looks as though you've had a great time though ...I'll be on the same voyage this time next year from Barcelona to Barbados. Hope you find Bromley hasn't missed you too much Spin...it's so hard leaving them particularly in your case.

Terry.....I do hope the lobbying for sports games to be shown on board would only happen in suite.....[emoji15] The Golden Lion Pub on QM2 would have the sports channels on all the time and l personally hated it......just a thought!

Happy Day To All

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello coolers

Frosty here this morning too. Sophia, I think I have been lucky as my cold has been pretty mild, though DH thinks he has it now and of course is far worse than me. Glad to hear you were not castigated for your 'unhealthy lifestyle'. You are only an alcoholic if you drink more than your GP, which does not often happen.

I have just looked at the thread on the Amazon cruise, and have noticed that this, and some others on Silversea, seem to be travelling much less than full. Nice for the passengers, but not so good for revenue. Seabourn are pretty full at present, but did lose 600 spaces when they sold the little ones. They will come back on next year, with the new 600 ship, first of two, so hopefully there could be more bargains there than at present. Any specific reason why SS is not selling so well, anyone? I know they have expanded, with the expedition ships. We have just had a mini brochure from Crystal - my goodness, they are going to town under the new owners, with lots of ships and a new luxury airline planned, to take 60 on long haul hols. in a 300 seater plane! I imagine the price will be 'sky high'.

A good (and healthy) day to everyone

Lola

Greetings Fellow Coolers! Freezing temps here this morning. Did not want to get out from under the warm duvet!

Sophia...hope the chest infection clears up! And I hope the trip to London for the kids is uneventful. It's strange that I worry when my kids travel but I don't worry when I do.

Lola...I do often notice that Myster seems to suffer more when we have the same cold or flu than I do. Why are we considered the weaker sex?????

Have a great day all...and Jeff we know you are there and we are thinking of you!

Good Afternoon Coolers ...

As others .... been very cold here but we did manage a walk to day ... very crisp and winter is certainly on it's way. I do love our log fires although I am relieved that we have oil central heating as it is so cheap at the moment.

Lovely thoughtfull comments about the European situation which are very much appreciated. Brussels is still locked down while they hunt for their man.

Today I made wifey some lamb shanks in gravy with mint sauce and a potato/carrot/swede mash, some cauliflower cheese and also some fresh steamed cauliflower with a few French beans.

Yesterday was some sea bass with a simple lemon butter and seawood-seasalt drizzle with olive oil air roasties - and for Spins some petit peas.

On saturday I made some proscuito ravioli in a piquant tomato sauce baked under a 3 cheese Noily sauce. A sort of easy lasagne.

Jeff

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Food/03A3CB4D-E91A-49F7-8626-F2DE6B530194.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Food/5FFCDAE4-E0DF-4A10-9418-F36767B21137.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Food/22C522CA-3A81-4FF6-B8E4-01641BF5FA7F.jpg[/IMG] Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Mark,
We have slowed to a crawl, we are so ahead of schedule.
I dread the packing.
We ate all the berries and drank all the Hess. Drspins ate all the nonfat yogurt.
But, I am told after the requisite inspections and drills, more provisions loaded for you.
Enjoy it all.
Ps all artwork is intact.
Feel free to invest.
;-)

[quote name='specialcruisegirl'] Terry.....I do hope the lobbying for sports games to be shown on board [B]would only happen in suite[/B]. The Golden Lion Pub on QM2 would have the sports channels on all the time and l [B]personally hated it[/B]. Sophia [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=] [B]UKCruiseJeff[/B]: been very cold here but we did manage a walk to day ... very crisp and winter is certainly on it's way. I do love our log fires although I am relieved that we have oil central heating as it is so cheap at the moment. Lovely thoughtfull comments about the European situation which are very much appreciated. [B]Brussels is still locked down[/B] while they hunt for their man. Today I made wifey some [B]lamb shanks in gravy[/B] with mint sauce and a potato/carrot/swede mash, some cauliflower cheese and also some fresh steamed cauliflower with a few French beans. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=] [B]spinnaker2[/B]: We have slowed to a crawl, we are so ahead of schedule. I [B]dread the packing[/B]. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Appreciate Jeff's mention on the super challenges right now in Brussels. This current situation is not getting as wide of attention here as was happened in Paris, but it is not a good situation to have a major city shut down with no immediate end in sights.

Candy says she dreads the packing. [B] No, it's not the packing[/B], it is the need to leave the ship and go back to "normal life" that causes the problem. See below on her secret that has been hidden till now.

Why is Sophia pushing for having top sports games just in your suite/ship room? If things don't work out well, you can drown your sorrows in private.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, [B]Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle[/B] cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at [B]189,291 views[/B].
[B][url]www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/url][/B]

[B]On her trans-Atlantic thread posting, this below secret is now out on Spins/Candy. Surprise, she is a year old and smarter! Happy Birthday!!:[/B]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/July%202015/Nov2015PixsA16_zpswyos0ais.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='spinnaker2']Mark,

We have slowed to a crawl, we are so ahead of schedule.

I dread the packing.

We ate all the berries and drank all the Hess. Drspins ate all the nonfat yogurt.

But, I am told after the requisite inspections and drills, more provisions loaded for you.

Enjoy it all.

Ps all artwork is intact.

Feel free to invest.

;-)[/QUOTE]

Any portraits of Elvis on velvet? I need one to go along with my one of the dogs playing poker.

So, you didn't drink up all the Jack Daniels or the Black Seal rum, that is good news. If you also stayed away from the Grey Goose and the Stoly my wife will be pleased. :)

[quote name='spinnaker2']Mark. We are off ship. Bon voyage. No Elvis on velvet, but [B]lots of Rembrandt[/B]. Nice Picasso for 50 plus k. Saw them loading provisions.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] [B][I]Best wishes for Mark.[/I][/B] We are expecting lots of reports and travel details. Sorry it's back to "real life" for Candy, DH and others. [B][I]Paintings??[/I][/B] Any art offered on the ship by this potential, up-and-coming Italian guy noted below?

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, [B][I]Sydney to Auckland adventure[/I][/B], getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
[B][U][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139[/url][/U][/B]
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at [B]126,617 views[/B] for this posting.

[B] From St. Petersburg, we heard some guy from Italy named da Vinci might have some talent and future fame. [I]Any of his art works available on the ship?[/I] Here is one of his masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage in St Petersburg. There are only 14 such paintings by this artist existing in the whole world. Some museum in Paris only has just one of his paintings. This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan. [I]Should this type of art work be in your living room?[/I]: [/B]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg[/IMG]

Greetings Fellow Coolers! Another crisp day today. Spent the morning cleaning the castle. I am really looking forward to the break from that task which is quickly approaching. :)

Spinnaker2 - hope you arrived home safely and that your lovely four-legged buddy is doing ok.

Mark... enjoy the heat man! It is cooooold in these here parts!