Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

JP the problem for definable professionals, I presume worst for medical professionals is that the moment you tell them what they do they want a free consultation. I wonder how many medical people tell fibs about what they do and avoid the issue that way. ;)

I had often wondered whether it might have been easier for me to simply say "I irritate people who pay me extremely highly for doing so and tell them stuff they either already know - or don't want to hear. Most of the boards of the individual CEO who hires me spends their time trying to have me fired, I am that irritating. I am told by those that claimed to employ me and love me that I think wierdly and that when I explain myself, what previously seems wierd seems logical and obvious and sensible, and that I am therefore paid to do just that and when I start to think normally I might not be needed".

But if I did say that they'd think I was wierd and we wouldn't want that now would we. I have always thought it wierd that people would pay someone like me to think wierdly for them. Now that is really wierd. :)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I like how you think. Some may focus too much on what you do - precisely because their answers to the (much better) questions that you pose are sorely lacking.

Work and your profession do define a part of you but the definition is much richer when it includes your questions as well. People may ask your profession as an icebreaker, or a way to get to know something about you, but IME it can pigeonhole people too early...oh he's a doctor, accountant, etc...rather than an interesting person who loves photography, keeps a saltwater reef tank, and likes to cook.

I would much more enjoy talking about travel, food, wine, family, and almost anything else non-work related when on vacation. How dull it would be to leave work only to talk about it while you're gone?

Nicely said JP! And I agree!

JP the problem for definable professionals, I presume worst for medical professionals is that the moment you tell them what they do they want a free consultation. I wonder how many medical people tell fibs about what they do and avoid the issue that way. ;)

I had often wondered whether it might have been easier for me to simply say "I irritate people who pay me extremely highly for doing so and tell them stuff they either already know - or don't want to hear. Most of the boards of the individual CEO who hires me spends their time trying to have me fired, I am that irritating. I am told by those that claimed to employ me and love me that I think wierdly and that when I explain myself, what previously seems wierd seems logical and obvious and sensible, and that I am therefore paid to do just that and when I start to think normally I might not be needed".

But if I did say that they'd think I was wierd and we wouldn't want that now would we. I have always thought it wierd that people would pay someone like me to think wierdly for them. Now that is really wierd. :)

Jeff

Weird is really just "out of the ordinary". Unfortunately the word "weird" has some uncomfortable connotations. I think when people find that the ordinary is not working, they go in search of something different. If they find someone who can provide a "diagnosis" as well as a possible "cure" they are willing to pay for that service. What their entourage may think of the service provider is of little consequence. If they had been able to come up with anything useful there would have been no need to hire you. A reflection on them not on you. :)

Being asked what you do when you are a medic is particularly difficult. We were on a large hosted table once with a married couple of medics, and I knew what they did. When asked by someone, the wife said 'pathologist' which was not entirely untrue, but had the desired effect.

And J...your pups were gorgeous!

duct tape: The Hub avoids the issue by responding...Tug Boat Captain!

lincslady: Being asked what you do when you are a medic is particularly difficult. We were on a large hosted table once with a married couple of medics' date=' and I knew what they did. When asked by someone, the [b']wife said 'pathologist' [/b]which was not entirely untrue, but had the desired effect.

Yes, agree on the cute factor for Jeff's pups. Appreciate the super funny responses on "tug boat captain" and pathologist. We have had some discussions where people talk about their work in a nice, interesting and not bragging manner that can work well.

As promised (or threatened) yesterday, here are some visuals from Mt. Vernon and other sites near Washington, D.C. If you have not visited Mt. Vernon, it is well worth it. Fortunately, we had nice weather that Saturday morning and got there early to avoid the big crowds. Yes, if anybody is worried, they do have gift shops there!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,495 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Yes, it is Christmas time at Mt. Vernon, the estate/home of George Washington. Lots of history connected with this famed "George" who told King George and the British that we wanted freedom from their taxes and control. And our George ended up being the General winning the War of Revolution (with help from the French) and then being our first President. Mt. Vernon sits in great location overlook the wide and scenic Potomac River. This home was built and expanded in various stages. Also shown is the interior for his horse stables. Interior pictures were not allowed. Sorry! About 40% of the inside furniture were original to George and Martha Washington. The exterior is not made of stone. Washington wanted the "look" of stone, but he used wood pieces for the exterior and had it cut and painted with a sand/paint to achieve that appearance.:

Nov2015PixsA1_zpsntonhdrl.jpg

Nov2015PixsA3_zpsvsnsgksi.jpg

Nov2015PixsA2_zpslamscwq6.jpg

Nov2015PixsA4_zpsmqjkc3ol.jpg

Nov2015PixsA6_zpsaikoulzs.jpg

Nov2015PixsA5_zpsvz2ivhyv.jpg

To finish on George Washington's Mt. Vernon home/estate, below are a few more visuals. The Washington family had owned land in the area going back to Washington's great-grandfather in 1674. In 1739, an expansion of the estate started and continued until George Washington came into possession of the estate in 1754. The mansion is built in an approximate Palladian style and was constructed by George Washington in stages between 1758 and 1778. It remained Washington's country home for the rest of his life. George Washington died in 1799 and is entombed on the site.

For more info, see their website at:

http://www.mountvernon.org

Good news: Mt. Vernon is open 365 days every year. No holiday and/or weekday closings.

On their website, here are just three items cited that many might not have realized:

1. Washington was mostly self-educated

2. He was fearless in battle

3. Washington’s bold actions saved the American Revolution, twice

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 206,948 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Since our last visit to Mt. Vernon in the 1970's, they have added a major education/museum visitor center with lots of added history and details. This includes a little know fact about the "Father of our Country". He operated a distilling operation that was the largest in our country's earliest days. Plus, also shown are a couple of interesting plant/flower items on the grounds there at Mt. Vernon.:

Nov2015PixsA7_zpsezarvyps.jpg

Nov2015PixsA8_zpsxzuqzuyl.jpg

Nov2015PixsA9_zpsb13gvjig.jpg

Nov2015PixsA10_zps4xobqerz.jpg

That is one lovely view from GW's house, Terry. I do find the design of the house a bit strange, though; not quite 'Georgian'. Lola

Yes, agree that the architectural style for Mt. Vernon is not "pure" into a certain, exact style/standard. But the guides made clear on the details for how this mansion had been built and expanded during many different ways over several decades. Given how it "evolved", it is kind of surprising that its "look" turned out as well and distinctive as it did. This staging was unique and challenging compared to how some other famous homes were designed and built all in one stage.

Nearby to Mt. Vernon is Alexandria. On the western bank of the Potomac River, Alexandria is approximately seven miles south of downtown Washington, D.C. Largely populated by professionals in the federal government, military and private companies doing contract work for the taxpayers. In 2005, the United States Patent and Trademark Office moved to Alexandria. The historic center of Alexandria is known as Old Town with a major concentration of boutiques, restaurants, antique shops and other tourist attractions. Old Town and many Alexandria neighborhoods are compact, walkable and having lots of high-income residents.

Much of the history here goes back to approximately 1746 when Captain Philip Alexander II moved to south of the present Duke Street in Alexandria. Part of what happened/resulted there was that this location was used as a required tobacco warehouse. That tied in with a trading port that could accommodate sailing ships. Lots of history happened in and around here, including relating to the French & Indian War, the War of 1812 versus the British, etc.

Alexandria is very charming and super interesting with its character, historic buildings, style, shopping, dining, etc. Fun weekend here!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,836 views for these postings.

From Alexandria, first here is a view up King Street towards to the George Washington National Masonic Memorial. It is 333' tall and is designed to reflect the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria in Egypt. Next are a couple of examples of dining/shopping sights along the busy/active King Street in Alexandria. Fourth is any example inside one of its antique shops along this street. Finally, here is the exterior of the dining place where we watched the first half of the successful Ohio State at Michigan game. Like the horse and old truck in front of this location?:

Nov2015PixsA11_zpsooly5dhi.jpg

Nov2015PixsA13_zpsh8gb6oka.jpg

Nov2015PixsA14_zpsus0hll3z.jpg

Nov2015PixsA12_zpsnr9mpf87.jpg

Nov2015PixsA15_zpsjstbrd6k.jpg

Glad you are enjoying the cruise and sorry that the service is not as it was. Soak up the rays Mark while you can. :)

Well, I'm limited in that area since the doctor removed the basal cell carcinoma from by arm. But I do do as much as I can without felling too guilty.

Well, I'm limited in that area since the doctor removed the basal cell carcinoma from by arm. But I do do as much as I can without felling too guilty.

OOOOH! Sorry to hear that Mark! Rays with caution then please!

Mark,

We are hopeful you enjoyed the cruise from a respectable distance from uv rays.

I am sure you heard that even Mysty gave up topless sunbathing.

That baking in the sun seems so warm but is so deadly.

spinnaker2, not completely given up topless sunbathing, just being a little respectful for the sensitivities of my fellow passengers. :) Here in suburbia, no one even looks out their back yard windows. I'm very safe if not from rays then from delicate eyes. :)

The most irritating responses when somebody finds out one is a Dr are:

1. Those that think you are interested in their complete medical history (and even that of family and friends, too). Actually, and you can't say this to their faces, but I really couldn't give a monkey's!

2. Those that insist they have some sort of perilous condition unknown or undiagnosable by medical science. They seem to think this makes them special. No - it just makes them even more tedious than those outlined in 1. above.

3. The person who delights in telling you how they had something or other wrong with them for years that the medical profession couldn't deal with but at last they found some homeopath/chiropracter/snake oil salesman who not only cured them but improved their life beyond measure. Bsically, they have just met you and then proceed to insult your professional raison d'etre.

And the hardest thing? Resisting the temptation to respond to 1, 2 or 3 without using swearing or invective!

Morning All!

Tothesunset.... Now I can well see why the question "What do you do" would be especially irksome for people working in the field of medicine. I am retired so that question would not pose a hardship to answer. However I think I might have more fun with a different approach. I am kind of a pipsqueak as I stand about 5'2" and weigh about 8.6 stone (120 lbs) so I think my new response will be "gator wrasslin'". :)

Tothesunset, yes...we have had all of that. Most of the time it eventually ends. But we don't volunteer what we do unless asked, certainly. And the first answer is simply that we work at the VA (Veteran's) Hospital. Sometimes they stop questioning at that and we don't have to say anything more.

The absolute worst was on Silver Explorer a few years ago, when we were seated with a quartet of folks who proceeded to ask the usual... When it came out that we worked for a Federal agency, one of the foursome was actually obnoxious enough to say out loud that she was upset - that her tax dollars paid us enough to allow us to cruise on Silversea! And it wasn't a joke, because she kept repeating it throughout dinner. Her companions were mortified as well, but it made for a not-so-fun dinner...

Needless to say we didn't sit with them again... :)

Mysty, good luck with that 'gator rassling. Sounds fun!

Edited by jpalbny

One of our worst...How do you afford all the cruising you do? Quick on his feet, The Hub responded...we get free laundry, so we will arbitrage yours or whomever' for 1/2 price! We got up and left!!! [emoji79][emoji568][emoji6]

How rude.....thought J would have said "my tug boat salary is 1 million dollars a year." before leaving...........

we don't volunteer what we do unless asked, certainly. And the first answer is simply that we work at the VA (Veteran's) Hospital. Sometimes they stop questioning at that and we don't have to say anything more. The absolute worst was on Silver Explorer a few years ago, when we were seated with a quartet of folks who proceeded to ask the usual... When it came out that we worked for a Federal agency, one of the foursome was actually obnoxious enough to say out loud that she was upset - that her tax dollars paid us enough to allow us to cruise on Silversea! And it wasn't a joke, because she kept repeating it throughout dinner. Her companions were mortified as well, but it made for a not-so-fun dinner.

Appreciate this interesting "situation" as detailed by JP. Yes, the "sensitivity" over what you do for work, can also be "complicated" by the name of the employer and/or source of funding. Clearly there needs to be a reasonable "balance" for on-board discussions. Knowing something about a person's background can help in the flow of the discussions/context. BUT, if people get carried away as has happened in certain cases cited can create bad or awkward conditions. Being "reasonable" and going with the flow is important. BUT, there are always a few who get a little carried away with the self-righteous nature with their viewpoints and comments.

With the mention of the VA Medical Center in Albany, New York, I Google'd that facility and saw that it was fairly large and impressive in its size, appearance. Won't get into discussions about recent VA management "issues". But I did see that this facility was named in honor of Congressman Samuel S. Stratton. I did have a chance to meet and talk with him in the 1980's in his office, learn about his connections with John F. Kennedy, etc. Very interesting and respected leader!! While he was of the opposite political party of me and the Congressman who took me in to meet him, he was that type of leader who could and would rise above mere politics and/or partisan philosophy to work ahead and solved challenges. Need more of those types of political leaders these days.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 127,981 views for this posting.

How rude.....thought J would have said "my tug boat salary is 1 million dollars a year." before leaving...........

misty: Morning All! Grey and damp day dawning. Off to pound the clothes against rocks in the stream. Have a great day!

Appreciate these above cute and interesting comments. Funny!! Should be nice and sunny in Central Ohio today. Have got to get a few thousand Christmas light put up today. I cannot do a much on the high ladders these days' date=' but we have lots of bushes, fences, etc., that can absorb many, many lighting strands. [b']Tis the season!![/b]

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,544 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry,

Personally I have always felt that one should be very thoughtful about what one posts particularly about googling.

For example there is a Terry from Ohio that has been heavilly invloved in quite contraversial politics in Ohio with respect to Senator elections ..... and unsatiated "irregularities". That clearly isn't you! ;)

But the speculation about googles often causes more bad than good .... as does using people's real names simply because you happen to know their names, but they haven't posted them for a reason. So using their real name might be taken as being untrustworthy. So my advise is never use another posters name simply because you want to show off that you know them personally.

We use to have a prolific poster who showed off quite a lot, and had basically bought a decent car and lived in a decent two bedroomed flat, and chauffered people around in the car. That was his job. Nothing wrong with that. He heard stuff from those in the back, whilst he was in the front, and then posted it vicariously as though "he" were "they". Those with a nose for these things eventualy see through it. He even had coincidentally an identical but common name that happened to be the same as a real "lord". So the combination of a decent car resources for curises and a name gave him a new fantasy. He often advertised the car hire business as though he were a customer and not the owner if you get my drift. But googling killed the deception for many reasons and to a degree due to an unaccountable decades difference in ages between Lord and Car Owner. So the deception was dropped.

So I urge caution with google disclosures. :)

But I know nothing about nothing. :(

Today I cooked and we ate.

:)

Jeff