Alaska land/sea recommendations

Webbbiera

We were so, so glad we did not do the connoisseur package through Princess. The meals at the various lodges were relatively the same and got old very fast. And we didn't spend anywhere near what the connoisseur package would have cost us on food and drink (and we enjoy our cocktails). And we weren't limited to the lodges, which was great.

In Denali, Prospectors Pizza was fantastic, amazing array of fresh made pizzas, sandwiches, and pastas, and delicious. Just across the road from the lodge. Total cost for 4 with wine and beers, $150us. Miller's Popcorn was amazing. The caramel corn is simply divine. Right near Prospectors Pizza....follow your nose.

In McKinley, we went into Talkeetna and ate there for dinner...delicious burgers (and huge) from Burger Barn, all fresh made. Several orher spots looked wonderful too, but we were all in the mood for a food burger and fries. Their fresh made potato chips were fantastic. Total cost for four with drinks, $54us..

Lots of options throughout the various ports, definitely read up at TripAdvisor..

If you're starting (or ending) in Anchorage, don't miss Snow City Cafe. Absolutely fantastic. So good that in 2.5 days, we ate there 3 times. Glacier Bay Brewhouse was fantastic too.. Both are very easy walking distance from Hotel Captain Cook, if you're staying there with Princess...

There's plenty to to enjoy food-wise at all the stops. You may need to take the shuttle into town at a few of the lodges, while others are just across the road. Enjoy!

Edited by reedprincess

Wait.... there's shuttles into town?

I'm looking at July or August 2016. Denali... good information. I'm interested in getting to Talkeetna though. Is there a shuttle from Princess's McKinley lodge into Talkeetna?

I had almost given up on seeing Talkeetna as more than a train stop. It's the town that Northern Exposure was made from. :)

we *might* be doing Fairbanks (2 days... day and a half... something like that), Denali, train to Whittier just because we want to spend a little extra time in Vancouver at the end. We're still unsure.

Wait.... there's shuttles into town?

I'm looking at July or August 2016. Denali... good information. I'm interested in getting to Talkeetna though. Is there a shuttle from Princess's McKinley lodge into Talkeetna?

I had almost given up on seeing Talkeetna as more than a train stop. It's the town that Northern Exposure was made from. :)

we *might* be doing Fairbanks (2 days... day and a half... something like that), Denali, train to Whittier just because we want to spend a little extra time in Vancouver at the end. We're still unsure.

Yes, there is a shuttle into Talkeetna, it's an adorable town, and some amazing views around the rivers, etc...some of the tours also begin there. Shuttle this year was $10 r/t, left the lodge every hour on the hour and left Talkeetna every hour on the half. Last shuttle back to the lodge was at 9:00pm. (yeah, schedule was off there, but last shuttle from Lodge is at 7). Great little town, lots of artisans, food, natural beauty etc....thoroughly enjoyed it.

No shuttle needed in Denali, most things are right across the road from the lodge.

We didn't go on to Fairbanks, we went to Copper River, which was fantastic. Shuttle into Thr town there also, $5...

You are most definitely not tied to the lodges, we really enjoyed getting "off campus" and exploring a bit of the local areas.

Enjoy your trip.

With arriving/departing by the train in/out of Talkeetna- take advantage of being there and get there early before departing and stay late after arriving. Don't do the 2 hour round trip shuttle more than you have to.

I like the Roadhouse, and always eat there. The Latitude is also a place I enjoy.

Breakfast - "Sweet Tooth Cafe" - we at there twice and really enjoyed the our meals. I had the pancakes and DH had the French Toast.

Lunch or Dinner - there is a Mexican Cafe located next to the "Rushin' Tailor Quilt Shop". We had lunch there once and dinner another time. Both were very good and were really cooked by native Mexicans.

Where ever you wind up eating - have a great time on your trip.

Okie1946

we want to spend a little extra time in Vancouver at the end. We're still unsure.
One of the biggest regret for those arriving in Vancouver and going straight to the airport is not knowing that Vancouver bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. You want a few days in Canada.... especially with the currency collapse.

If hotels near the cruise terminal are too high for you for a multi-night stay... look at hotels a few blocks away for significant savings.

One of the biggest regret for those arriving in Vancouver and going straight to the airport is not knowing that Vancouver bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. You want a few days in Canada.... especially with the currency collapse.

If hotels near the cruise terminal are too high for you for a multi-night stay... look at hotels a few blocks away for significant savings.

The currency collapse only applies to Americans ;)

With arriving/departing by the train in/out of Talkeetna- take advantage of being there and get there early before departing and stay late after arriving. Don't do the 2 hour round trip shuttle more than you have to.

When I called Princess, she discouraged me from staying in Talkeetna and taking a later shuttle back, since they like to get everyone checked in at once.

That's nice for them. I don't discourage easy :-).

I'll let the driver know, but we're definitely going to stay in Talkeetna that afternoon rather than shuttling to the lodge and back!

When I called Princess, she discouraged me from staying in Talkeetna and taking a later shuttle back, since they like to get everyone checked in at once.

I'll let the driver know, but we're definitely going to stay in Talkeetna that afternoon rather than shuttling to the lodge and back!

Love that - we should travel together!:p

Could I ask some more questions here without taking over the thread or starting a new one?

We too are taking a Princess Land Tour - just seems easier for us to do coming from Australia and not having to stress about road rules etc etc.

So, I would love information about the days we are overnighting for two nights - specifically:

Anchorage - we are arriving the day before the Land Tour starts (staying at the Captain Cook) so we have one day free here. What should we do in Anchorage for this day - thinking tours, restaurants etc.

Denali Princess Lodge 2 nights - currently just the included Natural History Tour but understand we need to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Can we simply upgrade this Princess Tour and pay the difference? Or do we forfeit the Natural History Tour and just pay upfront for the Tundra. This is what the documents say "Choose Your Own National Park Tour! Your cruisetour currently includes the park tour listed below (History Tour); however, Princess offers you the flexibility to choose your preferred experience from four unique tour options. To learn more about your Denali National Park tour and other park tour options, please call your travel agent or Princess at 1-800-774-6237 no later than 21 days prior to travel."

Copper River Princess Lodge 2 nights. No tours - a free day.

I am also keen to hear how easy it is to eat outside the Princess Lodges - at all of the places we go to, the two above, plus Mt Mcinley Lodge.

Thankyou to all for assistance.

Were you talking directly to McKinley Lodge? Otherwise, you were talking to someone who probably hasn't even been there. Of COURSE- loads of people do not take the first shuttle to McKinley and stay there. Again- don't make the 2 hour round trip transit more than you have to.

Anchorage - we are arriving the day before the Land Tour starts (staying at the Captain Cook) so we have one day free here. What should we do in Anchorage for this day - thinking tours, restaurants etc.

Denali Princess Lodge 2 nights - currently just the included Natural History Tour but understand we need to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Can we simply upgrade this Princess Tour and pay the difference? Or do we forfeit the Natural History Tour and just pay upfront for the Tundra. This is what the documents say "Choose Your Own National Park Tour! Your cruisetour currently includes the park tour listed below (History Tour); however, Princess offers you the flexibility to choose your preferred experience from four unique tour options. To learn more about your Denali National Park tour and other park tour options, please call your travel agent or Princess at 1-800-774-6237 no later than 21 days prior to travel."

I simply called Princess and had them cancel the Natural History Tour; they credited the cost to our invoice.

For next June, we will be booking the 8:00 am Eielson Shuttle about December 1 when they become available. This means we will take the 7:00 am Princess shuttle from the lodge to the Wilderness Access Center to pick it up. http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

Our plan is to have an easy day and visit the Anchorage museums and maybe a walk along the Tony Knowles trail.

Could I ask some more questions here without taking over the thread or starting a new one?

We too are taking a Princess Land Tour - just seems easier for us to do coming from Australia and not having to stress about road rules etc etc.

So, I would love information about the days we are overnighting for two nights - specifically:

Copper River Princess Lodge 2 nights. No tours - a free day.

I am also keen to hear how easy it is to eat outside the Princess Lodges - at all of the places we go to, the two above, plus Mt Mcinley Lodge.

Thankyou to all for assistance.

http://www.anchorage.net there is a HUGE range of activities available, including more if you rent a car? Depends on you.

It's pretty clear your options IF you choose to just allow Princess to book this for you. But- you are choosing this over the alternative of a shuttle bus? Princess is the single cruise line, that refunds the NHT. Then YOU can book what you want, if you want to consider the shuttle bus. Plus the benefit of having money left over from the refund. :) (a LOT of comments about costs with Alaska touring) The shuttles DO require a little more effort- that details can be given, if an option.

YOU need to do your homework on Denali Park http://www.nps.gov/dena From your post- it doesn't sound like you know what "Denali" offers with your "understand need to do TWT". Is this what YOU want to do?

At Copper River- there is the Inn which has a restaurant- the "original" Roadhouse, I always enjoyed, the single time, I went to this new one- it was also good.

I would strongly suggest- if you haven't, you make some good touring plans here. In my opinion, it's a waste of valuable opportunities if you don't do anything. A top choice, is a fly/road combo, to McCarthy/Kennicott. A lot of beauty and history. :) Of course Copper river salmon is always my preference. :)

Thankyou everyone. Yes, we havent done the finer research yet - just a structure. We were looking at either Rockies tour or Alaska but there were a few constraints - I did not want to be embarking/disembarking or a base 'travel' day on June 3 as thats my 60th - and I wanted to see Glacier Bay so Island Princess was the perfect fit. Which then ruled out the Rockies. So Alaska land trip it was. Coming from Australia the choices aren't as easy. And so little is known about Alaska here.

We are flying in from a Honolulu layover so ready for action in Anchorage. We are used to long flights in Oz.

Edited by Pushka

Just checking -maybe too early now, and too early in the season of 2016-being late May but just wondering if the Eielson shuttle will actually be operating when we travel (May 30th) as it doesnt appear as available on the calendar.

The shuttle reservations open on December 1 for 2016.

The dates for 2015 are Shuttle Bus Service start dates are as follows (weather dependent): Maybe call them re 2016?

Toklat - May 20

Eielson Visitor Center - June 1

Wonder Lake and Kantishna - June 8

All services conclude on the second Wednesday after Labor Day