Japanese cruise with land tour

2puttlady

I wonder if anyone could help with advice, we are wishing to cruise Japan next year possibly with Princess (but we are open to change) we would like to do a land tour before and maybe after as well, is there any land tour company that people would recommend or avoid!! And are there any places we should not miss? I know Princess offer a land tour but I feel it is very expensive and includes a lot of shopping!! Thank you in anticipation of some help in planning our holiday. :)

I think the key will be finding a cruise and a tour that dovetail with each other both in terms of your timing and also in terms of not duplicating too much of what you will see on one or the other....

I spent two weeks in Japan a few years ago. We opted to spend about a week of that time in Tokyo, using the excellent transportation system (trains, subway) to take some daytrips to various locations, such as Hakone, Mt Fuji, etc. and also just to get around Tokyo. We also spent several nights in Kyoto (again, took daytrips to Himeji castle, Nara....). Finally, we stayed a night at Miyajima Island, one of the most scenic places in Japan, at a traditional ryokan, and also saw nearby Hiroshima on our way back.

Himeji: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

Miyajima Island: http://visit-miyajima-japan.com/en/

Thank you both for the info, cruisemom42, did you find language an issue particularly when using public transport ?

I am going to have a look on trip advisor, thanks for that Maryann

I can only say that I was in Tokyo 30 years ago, trying to count the stops on the subway to know what ticket to buy, and many people came up to me, speaking English, to help out. They are always eager to practice English on a real native speaker. EM

Thank you both for the info, cruisemom42, did you find language an issue particularly when using public transport ?

Not at all. On the metro system in Tokyo, every stop is written in English characters as well as in the Japanese (kanji?) characters. Also true with the trains. Metro stations are color coded by line, so as long as you know what line you need, you just "follow the line". Everything is clean and runs practically to the second. Just don't travel during rush hour if you can help it!

I did extensive research on Tripadvisor before I left, including the already-mentioned forum where there are locals (and other expert travelers) who will go to endless trouble to help you figure out anything from where to eat near a hotel to how to arrange a particular day best using public transportation to how to ship your luggage from Tokyo to Kyoto (very cheap) so you don't have to manage it on the train.

I took a couple of group day tours but my son and I mostly did it on our own.

not at all. all the major stops are bi lingual. most of the Rail system staff are competent if not fluent in speaking English and nearly the entire poipulation understands it better than marginally( they are however shy about speaking it as they hate to appear less than perfect)

the train/subway system is beyond efficient clean and so punctual you can literally set your watch by it

it does get majorly crowded though..

most of the larger hotels in Tokyo have a dedicated person who can give you detailed instructions on how to get from Point A to point B.

Ueno Park is a major must do. even if you do not enter any of the Museums( and you should) there is plenty of stuff to see and do( Gates of Hell by Rodin was my favorite outside the Western Art Museum)