Am I going to have to pay...

Tenn4ever

Room service is not included in Daily Service Charge. That is why the Room Service Charge was initiated. Since free continental breakfast has no service charge and those servers do not get extra from DSC, we always tip a dollar or two. Room service duties are in addition to servers other duties.

I am not saying that you should not tip the person that delivers your room service but where did you get the information that the Room Service Charge is for those delivering? I have never seen anything in writing on the NCL site or in the statements made by them that this money is to go to the server, all or in part.

When NCL added the 18% to the specialty restaurants they called it 'gratuity and service charge'. There is no mention of gratuity in the $7.95 room service charge. This fee was instituted as a revenue stream for the company not as compensation for the employees.

Those that deliver room service are indeed covered by the DSC. Many people believe otherwise but in actual fact they are mistaken.

Go ahead and tip on the delivery of continental room service if you like. You can also tip on any room service that incurs the $7.95 fee if you choose. But no one should feel obligated to do so as these employees are covered under the DSC. I have no problem with tipping above and beyond, but it is a personal choice made by each individual.

Rochelle

No I did not mean the room service part, I meant when you go to the lobby they usually have a continental breakfast. I never mentioned the room service. To be more clear, the room service you are getting for free is the continental breakfast the same thing you get at the lobby of almost any hotel in America

While there are some hotels that do have a continental breakfast, there are probably more that don't give you anything. Come to New York and see!

Okay, then I am going to challenge you about every hotel in America. Good luck finding that lobby set-up in major cities. Maybe small town America...

Have to agree here. I have recently been looking for hotels in Boston and Newark and MANY hotels do not offer free continental breakfast OR free Wi-Fi. It seems that the more the hotel cost, the less they offer (think 4* and up). As a result, I'll stick to my Comfort Inn's, where breakfast and Wi-Fi are FREE :)

No no. Read the sentence as:

1) Morning coffee;

2) continental breakfast;

3) [all room service menu] orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven;

will not attract a charge.

You can also call NCL to verify although it tends to take a few minutes to get to a person.

At least in mini-suites, there is a coffee maker in the room.

Edited by clb5

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

Edited by ray98

• 3 weeks later...
It is really a double tip since room service shares in the daily service charge. Yes, some people like to tip extra to make themselves feel big and important and think it gets the better service , and some are tip for services rendered as expected as yielded.

It is not a double tip because you are getting a one on one personal service. Has nothing to do with feeling big and important. I would assume the majority of people would give a couple bucks for services like this. Otherwise just go to the buffet or MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not a double tip because you are getting a one on one personal service. Has nothing to do with feeling big and important. I would assume the majority of people would give a couple bucks for services like this. Otherwise just go to the buffet or MDR.

Why should the guest have to go to the dining room or the buffet. You do not have to tip the room service delivery person. Many of us choose to do so but there is no obligation. Everyone is entitled to order and receive the complimentary room service and should be able to do so without being made to feel as if they are expected to tip for this service. There is absolutely no where on the NCL website that says room service staff are not included in the DSC.

Rochelle

Why should the guest have to go to the dining room or the buffet. You do not have to tip the room service delivery person. Many of us choose to do so but there is no obligation. Everyone is entitled to order and receive the complimentary room service and should be able to do so without being made to feel as if they are expected to tip for this service. There is absolutely no where on the NCL website that says room service staff are not included in the DSC.

Rochelle

You do not need to tip the valet who retrieves your car for you but it is the right thing to do. You do not need to tip the worker bringing you your morning coffee either but not doing so makes you cheap!

You do not need to tip the valet who retrieves your car for you but it is the right thing to do. You do not need to tip the worker bringing you your morning coffee either but not doing so makes you cheap!

Why do you call people who do not tip above and beyond the DSC cheap? The room service person IS included in the DSC. There is no where that says they are not included. Yes many many people, including myself, do tip when they have room service delivered but it is absolutely not necessary. Name calling and telling people that they shouldn't order room service because they do not tip above and beyond is a form of bullying and ridiculous behaviour, especially for grown adults. Let people make there own decisions about what they do or don't do with their money. Trying to intimidate them into something is wrong.

For those of us who choose to tip for service, that's great and I am certain it is appreciated by the crew member. For those that don't that is completely your decision and should be respected by others.

Rochelle

Ohh, I so hope this is correct. Husband just did a 'google' and said that there is a charge forALL room service. I just can't imagine having to go down to the dining room in pj's to get my coffee and carting it back to the cabin :)

If you have a balcony cabin or above, there are coffee makers in the cabin.

No one should feel that they have to forego complimentary breakfast just because they do not tip the steward who brings the tray. It is an optional tip, not an obligatory one. We always tip the server but would never look down our nose at those who don't.

Yes, the steward who brings it is included in the DSC pool but that is for his assigned job of dining room waiter or as a cabin steward. He does not get extra for his role of room service. That is why I always tip them.

Rochelle

The guest does not have to go to the dining room or buffet. Nor do they HAVE to tip. I think that most people would give a couple bucks and I do feel like it should be expected. That's just the way I was taught.

No one should feel that they have to forego complimentary breakfast just because they do not tip the steward who brings the tray. It is an optional tip, not an obligatory one. We always tip the server but would never look down our nose at those who don't.

Yes, the steward who brings it is included in the DSC pool but that is for his assigned job of dining room waiter or as a cabin steward. He does not get extra for his role of room service. That is why I always tip them.

You are right. It is not obligatory. Otherwise it sounds like you agree with me why they should be tipped.

Tipping is always such a cantankerous topic here on CC....

For those who posted the info on coffee:

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! ! !

You have made this husband very happy that he will NOT have to go hunt down coffee, creamer and Splenda at 7AM in his pajamas!!!!!

(Truthfully, I would have paid the 7.95 for coffee in the morning--it's my vacation too!)

And yes, we tip the room service server.........

Edited by AZ ParrotHead

I am going to order EVERYTHING I can for breakfast to have on our balcony for DH's birthday and I am going to pay the service charge and give a tip. :D

Then I am going to surprise him with a spa pass after we eat. Then he is getting a surprise massage...Can you tell I am excited! :D

Edited by janetz