Computer Program to compile List of Birthdays and Anniversaries?

sail7seas

I'm in the other camp and am making a big deal on our next cruise. We will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and I'm extremely proud of that! My vote would be to opt in.

Congrats on 50! We are celebrating 20 on our upcoming and I plan on making a big deal of that too!

No sense of humor here. :)

I am getting the biggest kick out of this.

I think it's a riot. :D :D

Have a little humor folks. It's good for you.

Sorry Sail, I didn't take your OP as a humorous post. No smilies anywhere.

We purposely travel alone, others travel in groups. If you're with a group, a celebration would be lovely.

Not for us though. We know it is our birthday or anniversary. Nobody else needs to know.

I was referencing the direction the thread turned as striking me funny. Some folks seem to be taking themselves very seriously. It's a birthday folks,,,,, that's all. I wedding anniversary/a birthday. Try to smile a bit. It's actually healthy. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Why such intense anger? :o

We mentioned to our table mates on one cruise that we would have champagne the next night for our anniversary -- but we hadn't told the crew because we don't like 'public displays". However, the mentioned it to other folks who decided they 'Should ignore this request' and come and sing to us. I do not do public displays and don't like them 'thrust' on me. It was very hard to be polite. This is why people are angry. Some of us are very private,

>SNIP<

What would be the big deal for one of the Front Office people to pull that information from the guest registrations and e-mail/hand carry a list to the Dining Room to see these events are recognized?

Is it a stupid idea?

>SNIP<

This crowd can make an issue out of anything. That's a special talent. :D

and then Sail said: (sorry, I can't do 3 quotes in one post)

I was referencing the direction the thread turned as striking me funny. Some folks seem to be taking themselves very seriously. It's a birthday folks,,,,, that's all. I wedding anniversary/a birthday. Try to smile a bit. It's actually healthy. :)

I thought your first post was asking for opinions.

I think it is probably a simple program and most likely one that already exists. Look at Cruise Critics Main Page at the bottom is a LONG List of today's CC Member birthdays http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

I'm pretty sure (99.99.99%) that CC does not have one person that sits and goes through the million (I think that was the last count, but not positive, so please do not nit pick/flame) CC members looking for their Birthdays to post on a daily basis.

Also, keep in mind that some of us have reported here on the Boards of receiving an Electronic Birthday card from HAL. I receive one every year:)

Maybe a suggestion to Mariner Society and CC Heads on sharing the programs?

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I'm pretty sure that they have your birthday as part of your check in. Whether or not that makes it to the front of the house where it would be usable, I don't know. Anniversary or other special occasion data probably isn't part of a guest's profile.

I've seen restaurants that have asked if you were celebrating anything when you made your reservation. Disney World used to, and still may, ask that about every vacation you booked on property. You told them the date and what you were celebrating.

The OpenTable restaurant reservation system can store birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasion dates in guest profiles.

There's also the 100% opt in low tech solution: A sticker that says "Today is my________." where you write in your special occasion.

I think it is probably a simple program and most likely one that already exists. Look at Cruise Critics Main Page at the bottom is a LONG List of today's CC Member birthdays http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

I'm pretty sure (99.99.99%) that CC does not have one person that sits and goes through the million (I think that was the last count, but not positive, so please do not nit pick/flame) CC members looking for their Birthdays to post on a daily basis.

Also, keep in mind that some of us have reported here on the Boards of receiving an Electronic Birthday card from HAL. I receive one every year:)

Maybe a suggestion to Mariner Society and CC Heads on sharing the programs?

Joanie

take a look at the number of infamous 1/1/1 (with different digits) on the cc listing on January 1st and that will tell you a LOT.

Of course we receive messages from HAL but there is no need to report a computer generated message here.

I think we have seen enough postings here to show there are mixed feelings. some want the attention and some don't. simple

I'm pretty sure that they have your birthday as part of your check in. Whether or not that makes it to the front of the house where it would be usable, I don't know. Anniversary or other special occasion data probably isn't part of a guest's profile.

I've seen restaurants that have asked if you were celebrating anything when you made your reservation. Disney World used to, and still may, ask that about every vacation you booked on property. You told them the date and what you were celebrating.

The OpenTable restaurant reservation system can store birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasion dates in guest profiles.

There's also the 100% opt in low tech solution: A sticker that says "Today is my________." where you write in your special occasion.

Exactly. When I booked the last cruise, my TA asked if there was any special occasion. I said no, even though our anniversary was during the cruise. I could have made an event of it, I suppose, but preferred not to.

Edited to add.... just noticed there are posts missing from this thread since earlier, though some remain in "quotes". What's going on?

Edited by Lizzie68

When you make your reservation, isn't there a section for 'events' where you can list your birthday, anniversary, or is this a thing of the past? Sorry but my TA handles this for me. If yes, then it is very easy to pull a list and if you do not want to be acknowledged, you do not fill out that section. Of course HAL knows your birthday (as well as other items such as your passport number).

Edited by take us away