Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

My mom just called. She stated they aren't allowed to reboard today. They are being put up at a Marriot. No access to their money, phone chargers or clothes, at all. Someone is getting my dad's insulin however. What a disaster...

I leave on Thursday for a cruise on Sunshine. Yikes... what a bad taste

My mom just called. She stated they aren't allowed to reboard today. They are being put up at a Marriot. No access to their money, phone chargers or clothes, at all. Someone is getting my dad's insulin however. What a disaster...

Where is she hearing this, employee? Both of John Heald's post state they will be welcoming everyone aboard later...

yikes! couldn't have just been someone leaving a rag on an exhaust... looks like carnival is doing what needs to be done to take care of people, I hope they get back underway tomorrow. I'm guessing barbados is out, and they'll have to change up the ports to get them home on time.

Where is she hearing this, employee? Both of John Heald's post state they will be welcoming everyone aboard later...

I really am not sure, she was in a panic over the insulin. I also couldn't hear her well, as the phone was breaking up and beeping bc it was dying. She seemed to believe it was overnight, but I'm sure it's chaos there with thousands of passengers and people passing around misinformation etc. She was also in a wet bathing suit and had no other $ on her to buy clothes etc. I really don't know.

Wow. Glad they are being looked after. I have a medical condition and also require medications. It isn't practical to carry them on my person at all times. I would hope that someone could get me my medications. A scary thought. Hope all is well in St Thomas.

Passengers should be invoking their their Great Vacation Guarantee. Within 24 hours of when the ship left port.

Hotel, ground transportation, refund and $100 obc for another cruise if they chose Carnival again.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-guarantee.aspx

However, they only have until 10pm to invoke this guarantee.

Edited by gone_cruisin

Some of my friends in St. Thomas also were told by CCL crew at the bar, (the crew were heading back to the ship) that when they hear the ship's horn start blowing that's when it is ok to come back to the ship to board.

Edited by keystonemama

The latest news is that guests are being directed to the Marriott Fishermans Reef to rest in one of the ballrooms. The fire was contained and extinguished by the automatic fire suppression system. We are now waiting for clearance to reboard the ship. We will not sail before 8:00pm. This was an official letter from the captain.

This is on Carnivals facebook page.

Carnival Cruise Line

2 hrs ·

CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT

September 7, 2015 – 2:15 pm EDT

Earlier today, while the Carnival Liberty was docked in St. Thomas, there was a fire in the ship’s engine room. There were no reported injuries to guests or crew. All guests are ashore in St. Thomas. Crews are working to confirm the fire has been completely extinguished.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. Updates will be provided as additional information becomes available.

Carnival Liberty is on the second day of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed San Juan yesterday.

Hpoe this helps!:eek:

It doesn't quite make sense that they would just be staying at one hotel overnight anyway, I mean unless the hotel was huge and 100% vacant. I'm sure she was misinformed, but who knows. I'm just glad it wasn't at sea!

They are just going to the hotel reception area for comfort. It doesn't sound like this will be an overnight stay, just trying to get people out of the hot sun.

They are just going to the hotel reception area for comfort. It doesn't sound like this will be an overnight stay, just trying to get people out of the hot sun.

Just assuming it the ballroom for chairs ac water and bathrooms just to get people out of sun etc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I texted her and let her know! No reply, so idk if she is getting her texts or what, but hopefully it gets resolved so they can move on with their vacation safely!

CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT

September 7, 2015 – 5 pm EDT

Earlier today, while the Carnival Liberty was docked in St. Thomas, there was a fire in the ship's engine room. There were no reported injuries to guests or crew. The fire has been extinguished by the ship's automated suppression system and crew have confirmed the fire is out. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

All guests are safely ashore in St. Thomas where Carnival personnel have been providing refreshments and updates. At this time, we are offering guests the opportunity to relax in a reception area of a nearby hotel while we await for the ship to receive clearance from the authorities.

We apologize to our guests for the inconvenience and we look forward to welcoming them back onboard later this evening. The ship is expected to sail no earlier than 8:00 PM.

Updates will be provided as additional information becomes available.

Carnival Liberty is on the second day of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed San Juan yesterday.

The latest news is that guests are being directed to the Marriott Fishermans Reef to rest in one of the ballrooms. The fire was contained and extinguished by the automatic fire suppression system. We are now waiting for clearance to reboard the ship. We will not sail before 8:00pm. This was an official letter from the captain.

Thank you for keeping us updated. I hope you can resume enjoying your cruise. You will get to Barbados for sure though as it's an Embark/Debark port for some.

Find it interesting that we also had an engine room fire on the liberty repo cruise (March) I'm starting to think that ships cursed??

We're to sail on Liberty in two weeks but did remember the incident in March while in St. Maarten, so I looked it up again and it wasn't an actual fire that time. That incident was an issue with the thruster.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/smoke-seen-billowing-from-carnival-liberty-was-not-fire.html

We're to sail on Liberty in two weeks but did remember the incident in March while in St. Maarten, so I looked it up again and it wasn't an actual fire that time. That incident was an issue with the thruster.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/smoke-seen-billowing-from-carnival-liberty-was-not-fire.html

We sail on this ship in 2 weeks as well, hope there are no Itinerary changes. Go Steelers!

We sail on this ship in 2 weeks as well, hope there are no Itinerary changes. Go Steelers!

We've been worrying about hurricanes up to this point. We also hope to sail to all ports as scheduled but our back up is a week in San Juan since our airfare is non refundable, but only time will tell. Seems the cause is still not determined. Yes, Go Steelers!!!

Edited by pghsteelerfan

So glad everyone is safe.

Unfortunately, even if the fire is not that severe....the mess that the fire suppression system can make will sometimes do more damage than a fire does.

Hope this ends up just being an adventure story you can talk about in the future.

We've been worrying about hurricanes up to this point. Wealso hope to sail to all ports as scheduled but our back up is a week in San Juan since our airfare is non refundable, but only time will tell. Seems the cause is still not determined. Yes, Go Steelers!!!

We have 4 days in San Juan prior to our cruise. Haven't figured out what our options are if it doesn't sail, but sounds like she may get back to sailing today or tomorrow. Safe travels!