An Additional Gratuity Question, but with non-USA currency

rkacruiser

I have small amounts of Indonesian and Phillipino currency. Sailing on the Statendam in two weeks, the Phillipino currency may get used. Not liklely that Indonesia will be visited by me in the near future, however. Thus, I have this question: Should I choose to offer an additional gratuity to a crew member of either nationality, would it be acceptable to make part of that gratuity in the currency of their home country? I would add to that amount with additional US dollars, of course, as warranted.

It just seems to me to be a better use of money that I have that does not have to be exposed to the exchange rates from their currency to my currency.

Knowing that the currency on HAL ships is in US dollars, I just don't want to offend a crew member if I provide part of her/his additional gratuity in her/his home country's currency. Or, even to cause problems for that particular crew member because of what I have done.

Opinions, please!

An option would be to exchange the money for USD on the ship, then tip in USD. That way, there are no issues.

The only issue is that there may be a charge to them for changing the USD into whatever currency they wish. I would ask what nationality they are and and tip in their own currency if appropriate.

On HAL ships, if they work in Dining or Cabins, they are Indonesian.

If they work at the bars/lounges, they are from Philippines.

Doesn't make sense to convert their currency to U.S. $ and lose the amount of conversion rate.

If you choose to give them that money, I'd do it in person and explain you held onto this currency after your last visit to their country with the hope to be able to thank one of them while aboard a future cruise. :)

Agree completely with the OP.

Why on earth would you convert, and loose in exchange fees, only to tip in USD?

Especially since the person receiving the ti will most likely exchange it again. There is nothing special about tipping in USD. The trick is to tip generously in any negotiable currency for service above and beyond expectations. Especially since we find the on board exchange rates to be almost userous.

We often tip in different currencies...especially when we find ourselves holding currencies that we no longer need on our trip.

It is the value that counts, not the currency.

Edited by iancal

I see nothing wrong with this either. Why not?

The crew has a special exchange if they want to exchange it but they often exchange among each other as well.

I asked the same question when we were in Europe and I had U.S.$ but also euros and Pound Sterling. (we were arriving in Tilbury) To quote the concierge "The crew will be more than delighted to accept any additonal tips in any of those currencies. thank you for thinking of them".

She later told me about the exchange system on board.

Normally I would have exchanged the surplus currency to US$. This time I did not.

An option would be to exchange the money for USD on the ship, then tip in USD. That way, there are no issues.

Good idea. The crew would need to exchange it also so you save them the exchange fee. They usually wire money home so unless they are returning to their home or in a country that accepts the currency, they would exchange it.

I see nothing wrong with this either. Why not?

The crew has a special exchange if they want to exchange it but they often exchange among each other as well.

I asked the same question when we were in Europe and I had U.S.$ but also euros and Pound Sterling. (we were arriving in Tilbury) To quote the concierge "The crew will be more than delighted to accept any additonal tips in any of those currencies. thank you for thinking of them".

She later told me about the exchange system on board.

Normally I would have exchanged the surplus currency to US$. This time I did not.

Crew have their own Purser.

Thanks for the responses and for the support of my idea.

I only have 170 Phillipine Pesos which is about $3.40 USD. It just isn't worth it to change such a small amount into USD.

Somewhere I have some unused Indonesian currency as well. I will see how much is there and use it in the same way, I think.

The notion that cruisers should tip in USD or that cruise line employees place a special value on USD could not be further from reality.

Not certain where some folks would get this impression. Old movies maybe?

No, from talking to crew members. YMMV

Thanks for the responses and for the support of my idea.

I only have 170 Phillipine Pesos which is about $3.40 USD. It just isn't worth it to change such a small amount into USD.

Somewhere I have some unused Indonesian currency as well. I will see how much is there and use it in the same way, I think.

Well, that puts a whole new perspective on things. I definitely wouldn't bother exchanging that minute an amount. :)

No, from talking to crew members. YMMV

That and the fact HAL ships all operate on U.S. $.

Most don't mind having U.S. $ when it is strong against other currencies.

Edited by sail7seas

The notion that cruisers should tip in USD or that cruise line employees place a special value on USD could not be further from reality.

Not certain where some folks would get this impression. Old movies maybe?

A non US citizen cruising in Europe, South America or Australia& NZ etc would not be travelling with US currency. The crew would not expect to be tipped in USD. It is very easy to wire money home to Indonesia or the Philipines in AUD from Australia.