Is it possible to book Blu by paying an extra fee?

momofmeg

Okay when there are 3 of us the spa rooms are out since they only house 2. Suites are usually too steep for our pocket book. We usually book concierge when there are 3 of us as that is affordable for our pocketbook.

I was wondering if for a fee we could book Blu. I know you can book a specialty restaurant package unlimited for a 7 day cruise for $210 a person. I was hoping something like that would be offered for Blu.

People are paying a hefty extra charge for booking an Aqua cabin and that's mostly for Blue. If you started allowing anyone in at a cost it's suddenly not so special and most folk would just book a straight balcony and save the money paying a supplement for Blue. Never going to happen.

Since the spring of 2012, unless we were on the Century (which didn't have Aqua Class cabins), we have consistently booked Aqua Class cabins. Unless you are booked in either a Suit or Aqua stateroom you will be denied seating in Blu. The Blu maitre' ds are every consistent about applying this rule.

Sure, Just pay an "extra fee" and book Aqua Class (or a suite) and you are all set :).

Hank

Hank, you always break it down to the most logical and easiest way to 'get re done'!

But they would do that but can't book Aqua with 3 in a cabin.

Edited by wallie5446

People are paying a hefty extra charge for booking an Aqua cabin and that's mostly for Blue. If you started allowing anyone in at a cost it's suddenly not so special and most folk would just book a straight balcony and save the money paying a supplement for Blue. Never going to happen.

I understand that but aqua cabins do not hold 3 people

As mom used to say "their game, their rules"

Aqua can only be booked for two passengers per room and you cannot buy your way into Blu by paying a fee.

I can spend $210 to have unlimited specialties with all that unhealthy food but because there are 3 of us we can't eat healthy.

You are right. Their game, their rules but I don't have to buy their product if I am not satisfied with their rules do I?

The Aq cabins are the same side as other cabins on the ship. They don't allow 3 people on them nog that there isn't space.

The problem is, sometimes a small family wants to eat healthy. I have diabetes. My daughter has prediabetes. My husband is trying to lose weight. We are willing to pay extra but not for my daughter to pay single supplement on an aqua room.

It looks to me an easy solution would be if you book concierge rooms you can opt out of afternoon snacks (which we always do since we do not eat them) and for an extra fee eat in Blu since concierge does have rooms for 3.

If Celebrity offered this they would get our business back.

Well when you add $210 to a balcony concierge room per person you could have blu for the same price perhaps a little less. If it was only 2 of us I WOULD just book Blu.

I think Celebrity would be smarter to add an extra fee for Blu instead of reserving it for spa rooms.

No, I explained we had 3 people so that was out but yet he still said book spa. I wanted an honest answer (even no) not a flippant answer.

No, it's that you aren't getting the responses that benefit you. You have gotten your answer several times, yet you continue to argue your case.

Time to let it go.

0.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

The idea makes sense, that on a space available basis, Blu would be available for a fee. They must be able to see in their computer system when Aqua passengers have 'booked out' and chosen a specialty restaurant. In theory, each time this happens it would leave spaces available in Blu.

I can't see myself ever booking Aqua class (unless the deal was really, really good) without having an idea what the food was like. I'd gladly pay a fee one night so we could try it without booking a cabin and being stuck there every night.

The problem is, sometimes a small family wants to eat healthy. I have diabetes. My daughter has prediabetes. My husband is trying to lose weight. We are willing to pay extra but not for my daughter to pay single supplement on an aqua room.

It looks to me an easy solution would be if you book concierge rooms you can opt out of afternoon snacks (which we always do since we do not eat them) and for an extra fee eat in Blu since concierge does have rooms for 3.

I can sympathise with you as my wife has diabetes but Celebrity make the rules. We did mostly Aq rooms for our first 6 or seven cruises and ther are enough "bad" things to eat on every menu on any ship.

We actually only tried the MDR for the first time I. March which was in March this year, our 9th time on Celebrity. We found the food and the choices as healthy as in Blu.

Blu is put forward as healthy eating but there is not a menu in the world that restricts anyone to totally healthy eating unless you are in one of the eating disorder clinics.

All eating areas have choices both good and "bad" and you can be good or bad in Blu the same as in the MDR.

We actually enjoyed our switch to the MDR for a few nights as we were fed up with the same Blu menus

Hi Momofmeg,

I have struggled with my weight all my life. I am also pre-diabetic. I can really understand wanting to eat in Blu, but Blu is definitely not the answer. All kinds of hidden calories and sugar in that food, too!

Eat in the MDR. Ask for what you need. Sauces on the side. Grilled steak, chicken, etc. not eat the bread basket-if you don't start, you won't miss it. Trust me. I broke that rule last cruise and gained 10 pounds! Eat in the AquaSpa cafe for lunch. Try the MDR for breakfast but it's hard to turn down that darn pastry. Ocean view is much better. Egg cooked to order, half a grapefruit, and one slice toast. No problem.

No, I explained we had 3 people so that was out but yet he still said book spa. I wanted an honest answer (even no) not a flippant answer.

Could I ask what you can't get in the MDR that you can in Blu? I've never cruised in Aqua so I honestly don't know what is on their menu. However, when you mentioned healthier options, it's still possible to obtain these in the MDR. Every evening we request a plate of steamed vegetables to accompany our main dish (which, in my case, is usually a fish or meat dish without sauces). There are also a few salads available in the starter listing, and you can always request a chicken salad for a main course. There is always salmon available and fruit options for dessert.

Is there something specific you require that you could request with the Maitre d', as I'm sure they would be happy to accommodate where possible. Many guests have allergies and all appear to be catered for, providing X are made aware of the situation.

I'm a first time cruiser but my understanding is you can fill out the appropriate paperwork for the cruise line about the diabetes and they will prepare special meals for you.

sent from my OnePlus One

Ok, so here is the reality. We do not find the cuisine in Blu to be much more healthier then many of the MDR options. When Celebrity started the Aqua concept it was with the idea of serving healthier prepared cuisine in Blu. So they might use a vegie reduction instead of a cream based sauce. But over the years this idea seems to have faded and we see little difference in the health factor.

As to losing weight, although it can be tough on a cruise nobody is forced to order the most fattening dishes, eat the bread, etc. in the MDR. There are usually some pretty healthy options in the MDR and sometimes they even have better options then we get in Blu. Dieting is usually a matter of personal will-power and blaming the cuisine is usually more of an excuse then a fact.

Hank

Completely agree -- eating meals in Blu is not a low-cal or low-fat or low-carb guarantee. You can order bread and butter with your meals, as much as you want. If you eat lots of it, you'll gain weight. It's all in choices. And exercise. And being denied access to Blu because you are booked in a non-Aqua cabin really isn't going to add any pounds unless you allow it to.

You don't need to eat in Blu, as the MDR menu has plenty of dishes suitable for diabetics. As I'm sure you know, it's just a question of making the right choices from the menu and the MDR offers a reasonably good choice of healthy dishes (as well as the carbohydrate-loaded kind too, of course)!;):)

Edited by Suzy Smith

Ok, so here is the reality. We do not find the cuisine in Blu to be much more healthier then many of the MDR options. When Celebrity started the Aqua concept it was with the idea of serving healthier prepared cuisine in Blu. So they might use a vegie reduction instead of a cream based sauce. But over the years this idea seems to have faded and we see little difference in the health factor.

As to losing weight, although it can be tough on a cruise nobody is forced to order the most fattening dishes, eat the bread, etc. in the MDR. There are usually some pretty healthy options in the MDR and sometimes they even have better options then we get in Blu. Dieting is usually a matter of personal will-power and blaming the cuisine is usually more of an excuse then a fact.

Hank

The healthiest thing I've seen about Blu is the portions are smaller than the MDR. The down side of that is some people like larger portions, so they order two portions. We ate with a couple twice on our last cruise and the husband ordered two of everything both nights. He wasn't heavy, but well over 6 foot.

In my opinion, if X decides to open Blu for a fee, there wouldn't be any reason for couples to book the Aqua cabins. I know we wouldn't. I like the quiet atmosphere of Blu and we pay more so we don't have to deal with the noise in the MDR.

If I'm going to diet and count calories, I can do that at home. Eating without cooking is part of my enjoyment on a cruise.

Edited by midwestchick