At what age do Carnival Charge for children

beta98beta

Hi, we are frequent cruisers but we have never cruised with children before. We are planning an extended family cruise (meaning grandkids allowed) on the Vista (yeah!) and the question came up how much is the fare for children and at what ages does it start.

So do kids pay full fare (probably yes) and at what age do they start paying? One person will have a 11 month old (at the time) with them. Do you pay full fare for a baby too? :confused:

Forgive us for the ignorance, we are a selfish lot and never invited the kids / grandkids before, ROTFLOL!!! :D

Thanks for the answers! :)

Edited by beta98beta

Kids will pay 3rd & 4th rate when in cabin with 2 adults. Age I'm not sure but I believe the 11 month old will be charged.

Thanks for the quick response! This couple will actually have four children with them, yes they are a very old school couple :) So they will be getting a family cabin on the family floor. But this does bring me to my next question, since there are 2 adults (mom and dad), a 5 year old, a 7 year old, a 2 year and a 11 month old.... are 6 allowed in a cabin and is there a 5th and 6th guest rate accordingly?

We are just trying to flush it out in our heads.... I did find out and tell them they will not be able to leave the baby with Camp Ocean and will only have limited paid babysitting services available to them, but with 3 and soon to be 4 kids they are accustomed to having a baby with them at all times so that didn't bother them..

My sister is paying for their cabin (its her kids / grandkids) so I'm just wanting her to know what to expect cost wise... I priced a cabin online but it only let me put 5 in a cabin, so I was wondering if 6 is allowed if its an 11 month old infant... just don't know...

You didn't say what sailing you were looking at, but I just went to the Carnival site and there is not option to put 6 people in a cabin on any ship. The most they will allow on some ships (not all) is 5.)

Everything is based on lifeboat seats and they would count the infant as a 6th person.

I would think that a family of 6 would be better off with connecting staterooms. More room for all and 2 bathrooms.

We sail as a family of five, and have done so since my youngest was 17 mos. Age doesn't matter at all for cruise fare, so sailing as 2 adults and 5 kids costs the same as if we put 5 adults in the room (though we fit a lot better!!).

In terms of room occupancy, we've always counted as 5, even when the little one was under 2. With that said, while we are sometimes able to find a room that allows 5, we frequently split into 2 rooms...hubby and one child in one room, and me and two kids in the other. Once we had connecting rooms...and that was perfect!

With a family of 6, I think they are going to need multiple cabins. I'd try for connecting rooms, although they are few and far between!!!

I'd recommend calling Carnival and asking them. It's possible that since the little one is so little, they may allow a 6th in the family cabin.

Edited by Domergirl

Thanks for the quick response! This couple will actually have four children with them, yes they are a very old school couple :) So they will be getting a family cabin on the family floor. But this does bring me to my next question, since there are 2 adults (mom and dad), a 5 year old, a 7 year old, a 2 year and a 11 month old.... are 6 allowed in a cabin and is there a 5th and 6th guest rate accordingly?

We are just trying to flush it out in our heads.... I did find out and tell them they will not be able to leave the baby with Camp Ocean and will only have limited paid babysitting services available to them, but with 3 and soon to be 4 kids they are accustomed to having a baby with them at all times so that didn't bother them..

My sister is paying for their cabin (its her kids / grandkids) so I'm just wanting her to know what to expect cost wise... I priced a cabin online but it only let me put 5 in a cabin, so I was wondering if 6 is allowed if its an 11 month old infant... just don't know...

I don't know of any regular cabins which hold 6, I believe the owner's suite may? (only visited once :)) For a lower overall rate, you likely will be looking at 2 cabins, there may be an option for adjoining cabins. It will be full fare for 4, with the parents having to split, 1 in each cabin.

Of course, one of the kids could be in a cabin with your sister, their grandmother. That way, it would probably be cheaper than getting a whole other cabin.

First, thank you to everyone for not only answering the questions but being so quick, nice and considerate in your answers! I was afraid to post the questions at first now I'm glad I did! :)

To AVShockey, winner, winner chicken dinner to you, that is the perfect solution! Thanks! :)

I hope your sister is planning to book either an OV or balcony in the cabin where the baby will be in. They will probably request a crib and even with a balcony cabin, it was very crowded in there with the crib and a stroller.

We had to ask the cabin steward to remove the coffee table and the chair in order for us to have room to move around. If in an inside, there will be no room to walk around with a crib.

Your sister may want to have 2 of the grandchildren in her cabin. 4 in each cabin if booking 2 cabins only.

We had our 13 month old grand daughter in our balcony cabin this past May. They did not charge the automatic gratuity for her. We had an excellent cabin stewardess who was so accommodating when we requested the removal of the chair and table on the first day. Normally if we have an excellent steward/stewardess we will give an added cash tip anyways but since she was so friendly and accommodating, we made sure she got the extra cash to make up for them not charging the automatic gratuity for the baby.

Is this a sailing out of the U.S. or will it be in Europe? Isn't the minimum age higher for international sailings? The 11 month old may be too young if it is not out of the U.S.

Its US out of Miami

Thanks everyone, my sister and I went over the responses tonight and got a good game plan. You all have been a tremendous help! Goes to show, it never hurts to ask for help when you don't know something! Thanks again!

Edited by beta98beta

Is this a sailing out of the U.S. or will it be in Europe? Isn't the minimum age higher for international sailings? The 11 month old may be too young if it is not out of the U.S.

Minimum age is 12 months for transatlantic and (possibly) transpacific cruises.

We have 6 in our family and we have to do joining rooms. Don't try to do it yourself on the Internet, it will drive you crazy, just call carnival and they can find those rooms easily. It will be at least an ocean view room, for some reason they can't find interiors together. And plan on a 4 and 2 room setup, it's cheaper that way. Then just rearrange when you get there

We have 6 in our family and we have to do joining rooms. Don't try to do it yourself on the Internet, it will drive you crazy, just call carnival and they can find those rooms easily. It will be at least an ocean view room, for some reason they can't find interiors together. And plan on a 4 and 2 room setup, it's cheaper that way. Then just rearrange when you get there

I don't understand how a 4 & 2 is cheaper than a 3 & 3. I did a mock booking and the cost is exactly the same if booking the same class of cabins. The 3rd and 4th person rates are exactly the same, so if a 3 & 3 were better, that may work.

I don't understand how a 4 & 2 is cheaper than a 3 & 3. I did a mock booking and the cost is exactly the same if booking the same class of cabins. The 3rd and 4th person rates are exactly the same, so if a 3 & 3 were better, that may work.

That's what I would have thought too, but that's what the PVP tells me every time I call to get adjoining rooms. Maybe it has something to do with occupancy, and they want the room full??? I don't know :)

That's what I would have thought too, but that's what the PVP tells me every time I call to get adjoining rooms. Maybe it has something to do with occupancy, and they want the room full??? I don't know :)

The price differences between 2, 3, 4, and 5 in a room can vary considerably depending on the particular ship and week, I assume depending on how they're filling rooms so far and the demand they anticipate versus the supply on that ship. If you're looking for the cheapest possible way, do mock bookings online for each combination.

The price differences between 2, 3, 4, and 5 in a room can vary considerably depending on the particular ship and week, I assume depending on how they're filling rooms so far and the demand they anticipate versus the supply on that ship. If you're looking for the cheapest possible way, do mock bookings online for each combination.

I've tried that many times but I never can get the adjoining rooms. They're always a different level than the cheapest room. And since we have little ones, not having adjoining rooms isn't an option. So I'm at the PVP's mercy to get me the best rate for those rooms....even though the Internet can get me rooms cheaper and close together, but not adjoining.

In some cases you can get very cheap double inside cabins. Sometimes, depending on bookings, the lowest cost cabins are not available for more than 2. I've run into this, personally myself, several times.

I've tried that many times but I never can get the adjoining rooms. They're always a different level than the cheapest room. And since we have little ones, not having adjoining rooms isn't an option. So I'm at the PVP's mercy to get me the best rate for those rooms....even though the Internet can get me rooms cheaper and close together, but not adjoining.

You want connecting cabins. Adjoining cabins simply share a wall.