Carnival no longer serving Lobster on 5 day or shorter cruises!

CruizinMama1026

I think you would be surprised at all the improvements Carnival has made over the last few years...they just aren't in the form of little perks. Try comparing a ship built in the last 10 years with one built before then...its like apples and oranges. Some people only see the changes that they conceive as affecting them, they never look behind the barn door to see what else is offered them in safety, convenience, and activities.

Good luck on your quest for a new cruise line that will match what you "love" about the old Carnival for the price you seem to want to pay.

Many people like the layout and the experiences of those ships. Bigger isn't better, especially on Carnival. I thought it was all large ships till I tried another line.

Many people like the layout and the experiences of those ships. Bigger isn't better, especially on Carnival. I thought it was all large ships till I tried another line.

Not sure why people love the layout on most Carnival ships. The layout on Carnival ships is terrible. It's never made sense to me why every other line has figured out a way to make it to where you can walk bow to stern on every deck and not Carnival. I've never understood why one must go up a floor, walk to the next staircase, and then go back down to the deck you were on to get to a venue.

Well, certainly can't say I am shocked by this change. Interesting, as well, that in some place they state that Carnival is removing the 'free' lobster from the menu. There never was FREE lobster, it was simply paid for in the cruise fare. Since they don't claim they are reducing cruise fares in relation to this change, it's more a case of you will no longer GET the lobster that USED to be included with your fare. I'd be very disappointed if I had a shorter cruise already booked, and they made this change 'after the fact'

All that being said, I can see the day.......in the not too distant future, where the only 'included' meal option on any sailing will be the 'Lido' style-buffet dining, and every other venue (including what we now consider the 'main dining room' will have a 'service charge'.

I think it's reached a point now where the desire to keep the 'base fare' affordable is beginning to change cruising from an 'experience' into just another 'vacation'.

If Carnival Corp ever decides to let sailing days on ALL of its lines 'count' in some unified 'preferred passenger' program, I think perhaps it's time to consider some of their other brands.

Really sorry to see Carnival take this turn.................and happy our next cruise is an 8 day.

Of course, what's to stop Carnival from changing the 'game' AGAIN before that time?

:confused:

Having lobster taken away isn't huge to me - although I do like lobster. But it is disconcerting to see so many cutbacks at a time when Carnival's prices are steadily going up. At the rate things are going, it won't be long until a Carnival cruise is no longer the most attractive vacation option for those in the middle class, with a limited vacation budget.

Not sure why people love the layout on most Carnival ships. The layout on Carnival ships is terrible. It's never made sense to me why every other line has figured out a way to make it to where you can walk bow to stern on every deck and not Carnival. I've never understood why one must go up a floor, walk to the next staircase, and then go back down to the deck you were on to get to a venue.

Some you can, some you can't. Can on the Miracle and her sisters.

Want confusing, try Princess.

THIS, I suspect, is the reason lobster is out on short inexpensive cruises.

I agree. I think when they welcomed us to order more, they meant 2 maybe 3, not as an all you can eat entry. Wish they'd reconsider it with a limit, but I don't see that happening.

Edited by sammee

I agree. I think when they welcomed us to order more, they meant 2 maybe 3, not as an all you can eat entry. Wish they'd reconsider it with a limit, but I don't see that happening.

They should set a 2 lobster limit. That 3 day cruise was full of rude people thinking that they're entitled to everything. I had never seen so many rude people lacking manners on a ship.

Having lobster taken away isn't huge to me - although I do like lobster. But it is disconcerting to see so many cutbacks at a time when Carnival's prices are steadily going up. At the rate things are going, it won't be long until a Carnival cruise is no longer the most attractive vacation option for those in the middle class, with a limited vacation budget.

I agree Towel Critter. I also like the lobster and am disappointed that it has been taken away for the shorter cruises. Would it be a deal breaker for me, no, but disappointing. With all the cut backs and changes Carnival has made recently it isn't the low budget vacation of the past. We have a cruise booked for early next year, but also are looking at A.I. for the fall. Times they are a changing.

I agree Towel Critter. I also like the lobster and am disappointed that it has been taken away for the shorter cruises. Would it be a deal breaker for me, no, but disappointing. With all the cut backs and changes Carnival has made recently it isn't the low budget vacation of the past. We have a cruise booked for early next year, but also are looking at A.I. for the fall. Times they are a changing.

Sadly, I agree that A.I.s are looking like a more attractive option, especially September through December. I prefer cruising, but A.I.s can be enjoyable too, if you book a few excursions to break up the monotony of being at the same location for five to seven days. They have certain advantages over cruising too. You feel less rushed and have more time to really explore an area. I do prefer the feeling of excitement you get with a cruise of always being in route to somewhere new, but A.I.s are a close #2, so close in fact, that price could soon push them into the #1 spot for some.

When Carnival was known for being a party boat they made an attempt to update their services and reputation. Better boats, better shows, and much better food. One point of pride was that they promised to service Lobster at least once on every cruise, no matter how short in the main dining room. This had become a Carnival tradition, like their water slide.

Carnival is now concentrating on being the cheapest line afloat. Their ships have become more crowded with a decrease in shows, service (American Tablet-no tablecloths), and quality of food.

Although some cruisers will say the "new" menu looks good (is it real crab-probably not), this move is another sign of Carnival's "race to the bottom."

What a shame.

Sadly, I agree that A.I.s are looking like a more attractive option, especially September through December. I prefer cruising, but A.I.s can be enjoyable too, if you book a few excursions to break up the monotony of being at the same location for five to seven days. They have certain advantages over cruising too. You feel less rushed and have more time to really explore an area. I do prefer the feeling of excitement you get with a cruise of always being in route to somewhere new, but A.I.s are a close #2, so close in fact, that price could soon push them into the #1 spot for some.

A.I.s don't work for us because we don't want to pay for alcohol that we won't drink --DH hates alcohol and I am a very moderate, take-it-or-leave-it drinker. If we could find an A.I. based on the cruise model, we would love to try it. My parents are very concerned about their favorite mid-price cruise lines going in the opposite direction, with free alcohol packages offered as "special deals."

To me, lobster is symbolic of the classic cruise elegant night, which seems to be slowly disappearing from the cruise world in general. I'm guessing that Carnival believes people who book shorter cruises aren't looking for that type of experience and won't miss the lobster too much. My friends and I were among the only ones dressing nice every night on our four-day. This is just part of a general trend in society -- we recently visited a place that used to require dresses and ties and now turns a blind eye to all the patrons in jeans.

A.I.s don't work for us because we don't want to pay for alcohol that we won't drink --DH hates alcohol and I am a very moderate, take-it-or-leave-it drinker. If we could find an A.I. based on the cruise model, we would love to try it. My parents are very concerned about their favorite mid-price cruise lines going in the opposite direction, with free alcohol packages offered as "special deals."

My wife and I aren't drinkers either (maybe 2-3 drinks each per week long vacation), and I suppose there is some allowance for the "free" alcohol built into the price of an A.I. Still, they are starting to look more attractive to me. Last time we couldn't find a balcony stateroom on a 7 night cruise, within the time frame we were looking, at a price we liked, we booked our first and only A.I. vacation, a seven night one, for slightly less than we would have been willing to pay for a balcony on a fairly new Carnival ship, if it had been offered at that time. It was our first experience with A.I.s and we both enjoyed it. We do prefer cruising, when we can get a balcony (within our vacation budget) on one of the nicer Carnival ships, but when that isn't possible, for us, A.I.s are now an attractive option. One might think that with all the free flowing alcohol at A.I.s, that many guests would be boisterous and annoying. We didn't find this to be the case at all though. The grounds never felt crowded and were gorgeous, the food was comparable to that on a ship, and the beach only a short walk away. Of course, as with cruises, prices are seasonal. Edited by Towel Critter

We did an AI years ago in the Bahamas. I really would never consider an AI again. We don't cruise for the semi AI experience, we cruise to see new places. We would be okay with a cheaper cruise far and pay a la cart for meals. When we travel outside of cruising, we like to experience the dining options the place has to offer. We have been to Cancun and Aruba twice each. Both places have lots of AI options, but I wouldn't consider doing AI in either place. Too many great restaurants in both places. I don't want to do a land trip that feels like a cruise because I am tied to the resort restaurants.

Because we aren't heavy drinkers, I have compared land based AI to non AI and non AI usually comes out cheaper. We usually buy something at the local grocery for breakfast and snacks and only eat one main meal out each day. This works out far cheaper than any AI would cost us. Most of the AI cost is inflated to cover alcohol. Of course, consider that we are getting lodging for about $75-$100 a night using timeshare.

Edited by dioxide45