Carnival no longer serving Lobster on 5 day or shorter cruises!

CruizinMama1026

Yes, not a large base. But the same person popping up in each thread about a cutback to say 'Well, it doesn't matter to me, and it sucked anyway, it shouldn't matter to you, they are a for profit business, yadda yadda yadda' doesn't help. If people don't care they are welcome to state their opinions, but to continually reinforce them in such a way as to downplay the opinions of others who are impacted certainly isn't going to help anything.

Do *I* like lobster? No. Does my wife? yes. Do we regularly go out for lobster? No. Hardly ever. It's a cruise tradition / cruise treat. Carnivals making the experience more like Motel 6. Well, at Motel 6 they leave the light on for you. I guess this is more like Motel 5.

Motel -6 :D

Very well said. I'd say .5% and that might be generous. There really are a few people here that think the opinions of CC make a difference in Carnivals decision making. Great site to help new cruisers and of course to battle it out on any changes the cruise lines make' date=' but that's about it.[/quote']

do you really think this is the only site that people have an opinion?:)

What is someone supposed to say who disagrees with your opinion....that you are completely right? If someone has an opinion they do have a right to voice it even if you think "it doesn't help". Are these forums only out there to get Carnival to change their mind because you don't like the direction they are taking?

How many times do you need to post something doesn't matter to you. Clearly it matters to you somewhat otherwise you wouldn't keep posting. Unless you had an ulterior motive...

wow, just got off a 4 day carnival on Monday. SO HAPPY I got the lobster! I had 3 lobsters and the prime rib on formal night. Very disappointed they are taking away the lobster. I agree that it's been a staple of cruising for years. Luckily, my next cruise is 8 days so I will still get the lobster next cruise. But VERY sad to see this go. I might pay $20 for "unlimited" lobster ... but to pay $20 for just one of those tiny lobsters seems very overpriced.

I have had the up charge whole lobster and it is at least a 1 1/2 pound or even more Maine one. It is delicious. I would rather pay for this rhan have those tiny Caribbean tails which are yucky.

JH says that lobster will still be available for the "nominal" price of $20 per person on ships w/o the steakhouse. .

On our last cruise on the Sensation my father had the steakhouse Lobster every night but Elegant night. He really enjoyed it.

As for myself, I don't like and don't eat Lobster or prime rib (lobster allergy((not other shellfish oddly)), never liked prime rib) so I'm glad to see some new additions to elegant night.

Yes you can by going to the Pay Restaurant.

Actually, it is available in the MDR now for an upcharge of $20.

IMHO, that is one of the reasons they are getting rid of the lobster tail on shorter cruises. Carnival sees that people say we don't care, we will pay extra so why not get rid of it on all cruises in the future.

Next thing you know, everything will be a la carte with a charge for each item and there will still be the same people saying...it don't effect me, great go ahead, my cruise is "cheaper" not the "cheapest" but "cheaper".:rolleyes:

I used to look forward to lobster night until I ate lobster in Maine! I don't think I'll ever eat an overcooked /defrosted ship lobster again!

With that said, I understand those folks who may miss it.

I suppose you guys will just have to start booking longer cruises. Just one more day(6 instead of 5) will get your lobster back.

Living in the Caribbean where i get them fresh out of the sea, i can tell you that those lobster were just so so!

I like lobster. But, its removal from my dining choices does not make me think any differently as to whether I would cruise or not on a particular Line.

Holland America still has lobster in its MDR, but has removed it from its Pinnacle Grill menu. (Really don't understand that.)

The new dining entrees for Formal Night really do sound good to me, as long as they are properly prepared. Duck ala Orange, as I think they are trying to duplicate, can be delicious or a disaster with the guest needing plenty of antiacid available during the night. Just my experience, I remind you.

The quality of food and the variety of options has steadily declined since the introduction of pay restaurants on ships and I imagine (am willing to bet) will continue to do so. I guess people will need to look at what the entire cruise is going to cost them with the taxes, port charges, gratuities, drinks, restaurants, etc, etc. and then whether a land vacation is less. In some cases, it may be.

It doesn't matter whether you take a 4 day or 9 day cruise, you still pay about the same, or more actually, in the per day rate for the lower night duration, so using that excuse, making it sound as though your cruise is less expensive if it is a shorter duration, is absurd. Yes, I guess you would have to buy more lobster in a month for shorter duration cruises than you will for 6 day and longer, but in the long run, I can't believe lobster is costing that much more than other foods offered in its place. I personally don't care because I don't love lobster, it's just the principle of the thing.

At some point, people will get tired of all the "decreases" in amenities and "increases" in overall costs to get the amenities that once were standard. Don't let the cruise fare fool you, add all the other charges to it, then see what the true cost is going to be. They are not cheap. Each person has to decide for themselves if they are truly a "good value". For some they are, for some they aren't. That's why there are other options out there.:)

Totally agree for me its WAY cheaper for two ppl all inclusive resort w all alcohol all food PLUS airfare i choose resorts w at least 7 restaurants so I'm eating something new each night if its not great i have a wonderful buffet to choose, i only cruise because im waiting on daughter and grandkids to get passport then we can wake up on a beach and not be crowded and rushed plus resorts have great nite entertainment so for $550 per person its much better plus the rooms are large!!

All inclusive resorts and cruising are two totally different experiences IMO. Both are great, but personally I would rather pay $500 - $1,000pp to be sailing the ocean and experience different scenery then to be on land. With land based vacations you know what to expect, but on the ocean anything can happen and that unknown make's it a fun experience for me.

All inclusive resorts and cruising are two totally different experiences IMO. Both are great, but personally I would rather pay $500 - $1,000pp to be sailing the ocean and experience different scenery then to be on land. With land based vacations you know what to expect, but on the ocean anything can happen and that unknown make's it a fun experience for me.
I agree to a certain extent, but the scenery can change with an AI resort vacation too. The last one we did, we did an excursion about every other day of the seven days. The resort was between Cancun and Tulum. We visited Tulum (most picturesque beach I've ever seen), Play Del Carmen, and took a water taxi to Cozumel. I do prefer cruising, but with an AI it's nice to not feel rushed every time you are sight seeing. It certainly has an advantage or two over cruising, and at least for right now, cost is a big one.

Really disappointing:

I have grown to really enjoy lobster night.

As per John Heald:

"Yes it is true but only on certain cruises. We've had to discontinue serving lobster on cruises of 5 days or less due to the significant increase in the cost of lobster. Discontinuing lobster on short cruises will allow us to continue offering our cruises at great value.

So, effective with sailings of 5 days or less departing 19th September 2015, we are adjusting our main dining room dinner menu that is offered on Elegant Night. We will be providing new cuisine options as follows:

Appetizer: Broiled Sea Scallops with Truffled Risotto and Citrus Gremolata appetizer

Entrees: Blue Crab Ravioli in a Light Lobster Cream with Vodka

Oven Baked Japanese Sea Bass with Nicoise Sauce and Aromatic Basmati Rice

Grilled Jumbo Shrimp with Special Marinara Sauce and Mustard Potatoes

Roasted Duck with Orange Glaze and Au Gratin Potatoes

Other guest favorites including Tender Roasted Prime Rib, Barbecued St. Louis Spare Ribs and Zucchini and Eggplant Parmigiana will continue to be offered as well.

This does not affect voyages of 6 days or longer, lobster will continue to be offered once each cruise on the Elegant Night menu.

Thanks and let me know if you have further questions

cheers"

I know some are disappointed, but this new menu sounds great:D

How many times do you need to post something doesn't matter to you. Clearly it matters to you somewhat otherwise you wouldn't keep posting. Unless you had an ulterior motive...

And what would my ulterior motive be? You must really have a conspiracy theory if you think I post for the benefit of Carnival. Sometimes it is more a matter of common sense, something that seems to be lacking for many.

And what would my ulterior motive be? You must really have a conspiracy theory if you think I post for the benefit of Carnival. Sometimes it is more a matter of common sense, something that seems to be lacking for many.

Your words, not mine. You waste an awful lot of energy telling people they shouldn't be disappointed in cutbacks. But, you know so much about common sense...

Super disappointed. I never really liked the lobster but my family did, especially my dad. It was something he looked forward to and seriously talked about all year long lol.

I feel bad since we booked the cruise I have had to tell them so many take aways instead of things being added or good news overall. So my mom had this look of what now when I was like so by the way on the cruise :(..

Overall yes it sucks, we are disappointed that something else is gone but the cruise is still something we are looking forward to. It's a vacation away from stress and still really good sounding food options and time with our family. Though I can understand how some people would be very pissed off over this just because they fee like more and more changes are happening so suddenly.

I am really disappointed too. You actually pay more per day for the lesser days on sailings so don't tell me that they make less profit so they can't serve Lobster. They keep cutting and cutting back. It all keeps adding up. With the cost of fuel so cheap now, less than a half of what they were paying 2 years ago, you don't see them adding anything back in or lowering their rates. Eventually, people will get tired of it and try other lines. Since they've taken away so many incentives and its harder to get to another level now, I think its time for me to investigate other companies.

I am really disappointed too. You actually pay more per day for the lesser days on sailings so don't tell me that they make less profit so they can't serve Lobster. They keep cutting and cutting back. It all keeps adding up. With the cost of fuel so cheap now, less than a half of what they were paying 2 years ago, you don't see them adding anything back in or lowering their rates. Eventually, people will get tired of it and try other lines. Since they've taken away so many incentives and its harder to get to another level now, I think its time for me to investigate other companies.

I think you would be surprised at all the improvements Carnival has made over the last few years...they just aren't in the form of little perks. Try comparing a ship built in the last 10 years with one built before then...its like apples and oranges. Some people only see the changes that they conceive as affecting them, they never look behind the barn door to see what else is offered them in safety, convenience, and activities.

Good luck on your quest for a new cruise line that will match what you "love" about the old Carnival for the price you seem to want to pay.