I phone texts on silhouette?

joeyyyycruiser

Also, if you have a wifi plan, whenever you log in, you can send and receive itexts (ichat) at no additional cost. Also, when in port whenever you are in wifi in a shop or cafe, etc. Just remember to turn off your cellular data so you are not charged for additional data usage from your carrier.

Here's link to the AT&T Crusie Ship Pacakge with Celebrity:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/att-cruise-ship-packages-flyer-with-ic-number.pdf

Basically:

• $30 for 50 minutes talk
  • $60 for 50 minutes talk and 100 text messages
  • $120 for 50 minutes talk, 100 text messages and 100 MB data

You can not just get the text option, it only comes bundled with the voice.

When you call AT&T, the standard operates who answer have no clue. So ask to be transferred to the International Desk. Once they ask them about the Crusie Ship Plan with Royal Caribbean/Celebrity.

Also you can not do it online, or via the My AT&T app, you have to call in to have it handled.

If you get quoted rates different than above, they are selling you a LAND BASED travel package (happened to me), so again, reiterate to them this must work with Crusie ships while at sea on the Cellular at Sea network. The told me they had a NEW international package for $40, I pushed back saying too good to be true, they insisted it was right. Got home to a giant bill, which they fixed.

Edited by cle-guy

gina - There is no wifi on board except the ship wifi. It is not free! Cle-Guy is correct. ATT is the partner. I do note that Celebrity is getting ready to install new internet systems starting late this fall. Am sure they still will be slow because of bandwidth issues.

There is free wifi in many ports.

It depends on the carrier. ATT has a cruise plan. Cellular at Sea is 50 cents per text to send. Nothing to receive. Check with your carrier

That is what I pay with AT&T, 50 cents to send, nothing to receive. But that is the regular roaming rate. That is not the cruise plan.

Edited by Charles4515

That is what I pay with AT&T, 50 cents to send, nothing to receive. But that is the regular roaming rate. That is not the cruise plan.

If you turn off roaming and all your apps you don't need a plan. The OP simply wants to text. The problem arises when you have an iPhone which is constantly roaming because of the apps. Also if you get an international plan like I did when I cruised Europe for wifi it is not included at sea. Europe has lots of free hotspots at restaurants and hotels.

If you turn off roaming and all your apps you don't need a plan. The OP simply wants to text. The problem arises when you have an iPhone which is constantly roaming because of the apps. Also if you get an international plan like I did when I cruised Europe for wifi it is not included at sea. Europe has lots of free hotspots at restaurants and hotels.

You mean cellular data and data roaming should be off. Certainly that is a good idea. With those off you can still text at 50 cents to send and nothing to receive. On AT&T. I am only clarifying that a cruise plan is not needed for those rates. Other carriers have different rates. Verizon used to be 50 cents to send and 20 cents to receive.

Edited by Charles4515

gina - There is no wifi on board except the ship wifi. It is not free! Cle-Guy is correct. ATT is the partner. I do note that Celebrity is getting ready to install new internet systems starting late this fall. Am sure they still will be slow because of bandwidth issues.

Sorry for the late response. The OP didn't mention if he was buying a wifi plan or not. Correct, it's not free on Celebrity. I have a free package with my Captain's Club benefits and that's when I did my texting. Too bad they don't have an APP like Princess does. It's free and when you are connected you can IChat for free! I was able to keep in touch with my kids and family who have IPhones.

• 3 weeks later...
Also, if you have a wifi plan, whenever you log in, you can send and receive itexts (ichat) at no additional cost. Also, when in port whenever you are in wifi in a shop or cafe, etc. Just remember to turn off your cellular data so you are not charged for additional data usage from your carrier.

We did this with our ipads- was great!

I use my I phone for simple texting back and forth. Fifty cents per text. It's a lot cheaper than buying an internet package. I've been doing this for some years now, as long as I've had a smart phone and it is perfect for me. I turn off internet and just use texting, since I need to be in touch with caregivers for my mom. For me, it's the perfect solution and the least costly. FYI......AT&T customer. I do not add the international package and our trips are Caribbean. Our most recent cruise cost $9.50 for my cell phone usage. Well worth the peace of mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you possibly have a link for this? We're planning a January cruise that this might effect.

Thank you

Can I text with my I phone using my own international service from my provider or if not can I use the ships service to text without huge fees per minute

If you have Verizon they have very good plan (better than AT&T - it costs $125 for AT&T) - you are getting 100 min, 100 messages and some data for $40. My DW has corporate discount so its cost her $32.

It worked on Summit and we checked the bill at home - no extra charges.

Edited by cruza

We have Verizon and as soon as we are at sea I have always gotten a text from Verizon telling me text prices. For our last cruise (NCL) last November it was 50 cents to text and 5 cents to receive. I left instructions with the pet sitter to text me every day and I would not respond unless they had a question or a problem. It worked great!

This is from AT&T

WMS (Wireless Maritime Service)

They serve Celebrity Cruise Lines

To answer your question no there will be no additional charge by the cruise line for the cellular service onboard. The roaming rate that you will be charged while at sea is determined by Bell Mobility and we suggest you speak to their Roaming department to receive the most accurate roaming rates.

You can check it out at wmsatsea.com