First Time on the Spirit

Gourmet Gal

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that the Spirit is the designed poorly and cheaply and we would not sail on her again. It was our first Silversea cruise and we would not have sailed with them again if it were not for the excellent service onboard. We subsequently sailed on the Whisper and Shadow and loved the ships (note: stayed in Silver Suites on all three of our Silversea cruises).

Gourmet Gal: You mentioned that you want to check out Seabourn. I hear great things about Seabourn but could not sail on a ship that permits smoking on balconies (unless this has changed in the last few months). Whether you will be next to a balcony where people are smoking is a "crap shoot" and we are not willing to risk it.

TC2 - presumably you are not aware that Silversea allows smoking outside in the Terrazza restaurant? To my mind, infinitely worse than possible smoking on balconies. :confused:

Yes, if you are referring to danger, I completely agree. I have the impression, however, and no doubt she will correct me if I am wrong, that Travelcat's very frequently expressed objection to Seabourn's policy is more about unpleasant inconvenience than danger. Apologies if I am wrong.

I do think that allowing smoking in an eating environment is objectionable, and not allowed on many other lines, if any. There are lots of anomalies re smoking - it is not allowed on Seabourn's pool deck, but is on Regent's. We found this unpleasant on a recent Regent cruise. So, IMO, Silversea and Regent also have unacceptable smoking rules, which do not get mentioned on these boards.

With luck and a fair wind (!) the balcony on Seabourn policy will change some time soon. Maybe then TC2 will be prepared to try it, in which case I would like to hear how she finds it as compared to Regent. We have been on both, many times, and therefore can make a perhaps more balanced judgment on all the aspects which matter - food, service, etc.

The problem with allowing smoking on balconies (other than the obvious safety issues) is that if you have a dedicated smoker in the cabin next to yours, it makes your balcony uninhabitable. And the smoke sucks right into your room when you open the door to the balcony. We had this situation years ago when Regent still allowed smoking on balconies. So bad that we were unable to use our balcony. Our next door neighbor started smoking early every morning then resumed in the early evening before dinner.

I agree with Travelcat on this issue--and I would love to give Seabourn a try if they change their policy.

OK you two! Who is on the 1st 1/2 of the 2017 WC? My lips to God's ears! [emoji56]

Duct tape, we are currently wait-listed for the first parts of the 2017 WC, SF to Bali. Am told that they will actually open the segments for booking in February. We hope to finalize this while aboard the Spirit on the upcoming FLL to BA cruise.

RachelG - I guess our priorities are slightly different - we really love eating outside whenever the weather permits, so the idea of smoking outside La Terazza would really bother me. (Recent report from someone on encountering this problem on this forum). We actually often choose a window suite on Seabourn, as having a balcony is not so important to us; plenty of places near to hand on these smaller ships to sit out, with the bonus that the cruise costs less!

Sorry, smoking came up when a poster that sounded as if smoking was an issue was going to look into Seabourn. Smoking has been a big issue on the Seabourn boards. In any event, we like Silversea but will only sail on the Whisper, or Shadow.... the Spirit simply does not work for us.

TC2 - presumably you are not aware that Silversea allows smoking outside in the Terrazza restaurant? To my mind, infinitely worse than possible smoking on balconies. :confused:

Interesting. After 140+ days, I've never seen nor experienced anyone smoking outside of La Terrazza.

Going on the Spirit in 26 days and then following it up again 5 weeks later. It may not have the style of the Whisper/Shadow but, none the less, it's still a lovely vessel.