Which cruise line do you think is best for Alaska and why?

Loki_77573

Princess has been sailing to Alaska longer than the others and has built relationships that make it better than most of the others. Look carefully at itinerary. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise for you, you'll probably want one that includes Glacier Bay. Some of the cruise lines don't have permits to sail there.

Agree with the above! HAL would also be a consideration. :)

Cruzaholic41 may I ask which Princess ship you were on?

I'm a former partner in a Miami cruise firm, so I've been on over 200 cruises - several more if you count pre-inaugurals that were by invitation. I've cruised most of the Princess fleet. I haven't been on Island, Sea, Sun, Star or Golden. Other than I think Princess ships are crowded, I don't like their lack of a large, forward facing lounge with floor to ceiling windows. HAL has the Crows Nest, Celebrity has the Sky Lounge, RCI has the Viking Crown, etc. But Princess has nothing similar on their large ships so frankly, I think the Princess ships are the worst ships for the scenic Alaskan itineraries - except for the Pacific and Ocean Princess.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

I'm a former partner in a Miami cruise firm, so I've been on over 200 cruises - several more if you count pre-inaugurals that were by invitation. I've cruised most of the Princess fleet. I haven't been on Island, Sea, Sun, Star or Golden. Other than I think Princess ships are crowded, I don't like their lack of a large, forward facing lounge with floor to ceiling windows. HAL has the Crows Nest, Celebrity has the Sky Lounge, RCI has the Viking Crown, etc. But Princess has nothing similar on their large ships so frankly, I think the Princess ships are the worst ships for the scenic Alaskan itineraries - except for the Pacific and Ocean Princess.

You are so right, I had not thought of that. thank you.

Back when DW and I were looking for our first cruise, several things about Princess just plain turned me off. Bang for the buck just does not seem to be there. For that reason, I would opt for HAL.

If you want "bang for the buck," choose Oceania Regatta, which has less than 700 passengers, highest quality food and service and inclusive pricing (e.g., airfare, beverages, specialties, etc.). With the right TA and dates, add significant OBC and "O Life" perks like tips, internet and select excursions.

There's also what you DON'T get: "prom nights," liberal smoking policies, self-serve buffets, crowds, nickel/diming, etc.

Mom (85) and I (52) were on the HAL Noordam inside passage cruise round trip from Vancouver this summer. Except for how HAL handled the embarkation and disembarkation of wheelchair-assisted passengers, we thought the cruise was pretty perfect.

Vicki

We sailed with Princess 4 years ago to Alaska and loved it! As others have said, look for itinerary first (we wanted Glacier Bay) and then go from there.

Edited by hun